Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
sooooooo... I just found a copy of arrangebypenis.7z
and I'm about to :yotj:, friday is my last day.

must I do the needful?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

I like that in this day and age, OS doesn't matter. I run Ubuntu in VMware Workstation on Windows 10 and use either one depending on what I'm doing.

Seconding this.
I put my new desktop together last night and promptly realized I forgot my Windows 8 disc.
"Oh well, I've got a small SSD with ubuntu 12 on it... good enough"

I'm sure that eventually I'll want to change the led color on my Kraken x61. I'll probably install windows then.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Internet Explorer posted:

Yeah, until you realize Xerox is literally the devil.

as bad as Xerox is, HP is worse.

We have Xerox machines, but somehow everyone wound up with their own personal HP laserjet xxx anyway.
I'm battling one right now that's throwing a 59.2 (main motor rotation) error.
Things that solved the issue: cleaning the waste toner cartridge, propping the front door slightly open.
Things that didn't solve the issue: having an HP tech replace the main motor.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Sickening posted:

Generally I prune permissions without asking and let tickets sort out who still needs access.

we did this at my last job, it kind of backfired.

HR lady made a big stink about not being able to see this or do that (like view other people's desktops files, which she really didn't need to do... like AT ALL) so we were just told to give her and her only FULL ACCESS and admin privileges.

Guess who got us cryptolockered twice in 2 days?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Sickening posted:

That doesn't read to me like pruning without permission backfired, but lack of common sense backfired.

Pruning without asking is what poked the dragon. It caused her to essentially flip the gently caress out and go looking for things she wasn't able to access, which in turn caused the hammer to drop on our department to essentially "just give them what they want."

It warms my heart to know that the whole company is belly up now. They're just waiting for someone to come along and flush them.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

mewse posted:

My office was sending a bunch of Watchguard XTM 5s to recycling so I took home a couple to play with. Disregarding the software, they're basically rackmount 1U x86 boxes with 6x intel gigabit nics.

So I turned one into my project box and performed the following:

• Replaced all the 40mm fans with silent versions
  • Flashed the BIOS with one that has all features unlocked
  • Loaded pfSense on to the compact flash card
  • Replaced the Celeron 440 with a Xeon L5420 using a LGA771->LGA775 sticker

I'm particularly satisfied with the processor replacement: the machine went from a 1 core 2GHz to a quad core 2.5Gz.

After all this work I'm sitting here thinking "Why??" I don't need some suped up firewall for my one bedroom apartment. What the hell motivated me to create this thing

Put RouterOS on it and :getin:
A buddy of mine is developing DDOS defenses using some serious proprietary hardware and RouterOS. Like 10Gb sustained traffic mitigation.

That or you could build a NAS, because reasons.

Edit: oh!!! or you could install vmware on ubuntu and run a virtualized instance of Amahi (it's really fun to play around with)
https://www.amahi.org/

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Aug 13, 2015

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Happy Friday!
For those of us in positions/places now better than previous jobs, let's take a moment to reflect and be thankful.
:yotj: 2015!

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Aug 21, 2015

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

MrMoo posted:

D-Link may be worse than the cabling here.

There's a perfectly good Cisco hiding somewhere in there. Plainly visible, and atrociously installed.
See if you can find it.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

siggy2021 posted:

I'm looking to get an inventory/asset management system in place where I work. At the moment, if someone leaves/gets fired/whatever, I have no loving clue what they have. My only resources are what the position they held would generally have, asking their manager, and for phones praying someone actually updated the name on the line on our carrier's website.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to start looking on best practices and software to help get this done?

LANsweeper is pretty awesome.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Alternatively, if you've had Quite Enough Of This poo poo, play Russian roulette with your PC or server:

Get-Process | Get-Random | Stop-Process -force

This is loving fabulous and will be going in the FUCKTHESEPEOPLE OU when I quit.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

adorai posted:

i really recommend OTRS for helpdesk. it's free and works well.

Oh my god thank you. I was trying so hard to remember this last time we were talking about helpdesks and all I could remember was OS ticket

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I don't know how well it scales, but I like zendesk. It's simple but customizable. It's much better than Clarify, at least. Or maybe it's just better than the lovely internal GUI my last company made for Clarify.

Their website...

Goddamn millennials.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

psydude posted:

Yeah wait we've had enough chat about divisive issues in the past few days.

What are y'all drinking? I just bought a bottle of Glenmorangie Port Cask.

I just grabbed the closest thing I could find. I bought it for the fiancee a while ago, but it was the only thing in the house.

I don't even like vodka, but I don't really keep alcohol around the house for myself anymore.
I think I'm a better person for it.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Sep 18, 2015

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Barracuda Bang! posted:

Best peatyness to cost ratio I've found so far:

This was my go-to for a long time. It's fantastically peat-y.

If you want the best bang for your buck though...

It's dirt cheap (for proper blended scotch) and will wreck your poo poo.
It's like the Jameson of scotch.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
This is loving beautiful. I'm getting no work done today.
I love how horribly dramatic (and sociopathic) socially inept (literally?) retarded nerds can be.

Can we get a thread on why every Linux-based-whatever eventually forks into like 10 different distros because nerd-drama?
That'd be one giant loving rabbit hole.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Nintendo Kid posted:

They used to. They sold off a huge chunk for a few million bucks, iirc.

Dad always told me to "buy land because God sure isn't making any more of it."

I think this is equally as applicable to ip's.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Dick Trauma posted:

The Ground.

Had enough of The Cloud? Put all your data in The Ground!

Better hurry up and get your cert in Cloud-to-Ground! :pseudo:

This is actually brilliant.

Introducing: Cloud to Ground LIGHTNING

IMPROVE SPEEDS UP TO 10X OVER YOUR CURRENT CLOUD APPLIANCE. **assuming 10G LAN

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

gently caress that guy.
This is why we're telling you to add a gently caress-You Tax.

$100/hr
4 hour minimum is pretty standard.

I can only imagine what the gently caress-you tax is gonna look like on that one.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Yeah blocking a legal music streaming service in 2015 does seem a bit... sad. I understand places have rules and bandwidth limitations and am not gonna insult you or your company but, also glad I don't work there.

My last job blocked users' streaming claiming bandwidth.

We had several connections including windstream and 150/50 fios. We never used that much.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Colonial Air Force posted:

We only had 35/5 until recently, and we only block it in the winter when it's busy.

Also, picking locks is now apparently a part of IT here (because I know how and have a set).

This too became part of my job. Most times I'd just vault through the drop ceiling because it's faster.
Then again, IT was responsible for cleaning desks, changing lightbulbs, building cubicles, fire safety, office security, process management, business planning, and a sloo of other ridiculous things you probably shouldn't have a trio of computer nerds in charge of.
Everyone else in that place was a "sit here, click this, answer this, and don't think" cog.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Kashuno posted:

My boss is offering to pay for a bunch of training stuff but has no idea what to get as part of our budget for next year. I told him to get CBTNuggets for our department, but is there anything else I should recommend?

http://www.pluralsight.com/

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Dark Helmut posted:

This is kinda where I lost interest, but I'll say that anyone who said something towards the middle and in particular the answer above is where I fall. Is it your boss's responsibility to teach you a new technology that reasonably falls under the realm of what you do? Like Windows 10 to a desktop person or a new flavor of Javascript your company wants to check out? Why would you NOT take the initiative? Conversely if they implement something vastly different maybe it skews more towards their side but it's certainly not as polarized as you make it sound.

In my experience, regardless of whose responsibility it is, you won't get trained unless you ask. Even then, you probably won't be given the resources you need to be trained or learn what you need to survive.
Take this with a grain of salt, though. I've worked in some pretty lovely places.
It may be his job to train you, but it's YOUR job to be able to do YOUR job. If poo poo hits the fan and it's something that you don't know, but should. Who is going to get blamed?
Do everything within your power to take initiative and learn all you can.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I haven't described anything, other people have simply run with what I've asked and added to it. All I am asking is if it is my responsibility to learn what I don't know, or if it is my boss's to teach me.

Do you mean specifics about your infrastructure, or technology in general?

In either case I've never had any sort of instruction and have been left to drown/flounder/swim on my own, and I've managed alright.

*first day on the job*
:rant: HEY THE WHOOZIEWHATSITS IS DOWN AGAIN! FIX IT NOW BEFORE THE PLACE GOES UP IN FLAMES!
:v: What's a whooziewhatsits?
:smugjones: Boss: I suppose you'll find out, won't you?
:v: *4 hours later* so everything here is completely broken and implemented like poo poo. I have no idea how you've managed to survive up to this point.
:smugjones: I'm sure you'll have it all fixed by the time I come in tomorrow.

/story of my life.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

I can't think of a better way to spend Halloween.
This is going to be awesome.

I am so lame.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

ChubbyThePhat posted:

What did they start setting up on that twitch linux install that shut it down?

Gentoo

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

mmmm roasted nuts.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Anyone here have any experience with mobile device management?

We're looking at MaaS 360 and AirWatch. Do any of you have any opinions or suggestions?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

CLAM DOWN posted:

What devices are you going to be managing? What is your MDM strategy (COPE, BYOD, etc)? What are your security requirements (vaguely)? On-premise or cloud?

Windows Phones and tablets running windows 10 (eventually), all owned and deployed by us.

We need to be able to remote wipe and or lock the device.
Control app installation
require passcode
require data encryption

Cloud preferred.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
We had looked at Intune, but boss man put the kabash on that for some reason or another.
I was just looking for others' anecdotal experiences with MDM platforms, really.

Edit: I remember now.
We did 2 demos with microsoft and both failed horribly. They couldn't even get windows phones working properly with it in their own demo. It was cringeworthy.

Also we're a fairly small org, I don't expect much more than a couple hundred mobile devices.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Nov 18, 2015

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Thanks Ants posted:

AirWatch is loving horrible

Fair enough. Care to elaborate?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

bull3964 posted:

Airwatch is software made by VMWare that's not a hypervisor.

That makes the situation pretty much self explanatory.

I thought it was made by someone else, not finished and then bought by VMWare?

Thanks for the info guys. We just finished a demo with Maas360 and will probably be doing one with Airwatch soon if they even call us back.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Dick Trauma posted:

Aaaand I'm off of the org chart. But they accidentally left on one of the people they axed last week. :thumbsup:

Did you receive your paycheck?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Accretionist posted:

What's the most 'Cave Troll / No Human Contact' area in all IT?

I used to think it was DBA until my last job.
Now I'm thinking it's probably rack-monkey for Rackspace/Amazon/whomever.
That's still my dream job. Get paid $35-50k to live in a data center and be called upon to move servers and occasionally push buttons.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Collateral Damage posted:

I'd love to be a rack monkey and install hardware and route cables all day, but I doubt there's any place that will let me do that without taking a massive pay cut. :(

Unrelated, here's another "Oh you quit? Well we still expect you to work for us." stories:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/11/30/sysadmins_former_boss_claims_five_years_free_support_or_off_to_court/

Yeah, considering my current position, there's no way I'd be willing to take a pay cut and lose my pension to do that. I was thinking more along the lines of post-retirement job... but who knows what data centers will look like in 30 years.

Also, I can't wait for the pendulum to swing the other way and for employers to be punished for not being tech-conscious/considerate.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Nov 30, 2015

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Zapf Dingbat posted:

This was sent out by the owner over Thanksgiving. It's the end of a very, very long email about work ethic. I'm three months into this job and this pretty much ruined my weekend stressing out about it.

There's not a lot of structure and zero paperwork in this company, and I only see this ending up as a clusterfuck.

Welcome to IT where the work hours are made up and the points don't matter!

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Inspector_666 posted:

Having your VOIP traffic split out to a separate VLAN was best practice I thought?

funny thing about that... my last job there was a lot of discussion from my coworkers and I as to why exactly we needed to do this.
Turns out my boss thought VLAN meant Voice LAN (apparently that was a common thing 20 years ago) so, he said "make it so."

Some 6 months later he somehow figured out what we had done and ordered that it all be lumped back into one jumblefuck of a mess across 15 switches.
:negative:

Grandstream phones are chatty as gently caress by the way.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

tehfeer posted:

We currently use Airwatch and push the VPN settings down through it. Then we require them to VPN into the DMZ in order for them to access active sync and only from company owned secured devices. From a security stand point if the devices are not company owned and you allow them to install whatever apps they want then those apps could potentially be accessing the email synced to the device or worse if you are just dropped the devices into your network.

It's looking like my org is going to go with Airwatch. I might have to pick your brain some implementation time.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

flosofl posted:

The south isn't immune. My brother works in Raleigh and bitches about his commute all the time, and I hear Atlanta is a special joy as well.

Dallas loving blows. Thank God I don't live there.

Oh wait... http://wtop.com/local/2015/11/interstate-66-worst-drat-freeway-america/

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
That report is taken from TomTom data.
Who the gently caress uses Tom Tom's? We have cellphone coverage here.

My 20 mile, half hour commute quadruples during rush hour (which is actually 3-5 hours long). Both ways.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Dec 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Anyone have any experience working in academic IT departments? Apparently it's a common thing now to set up personal storage drives for 40k+ students. I can't even imagine how to begin supporting that.