Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I just had an amazing conversation with another sales rep I work with re: full duplex. He was trying to say that a 700mbps wireless link is going to give 1400mbps of throughput because the manufacturer said it's full duplex so "it's faster than the gigabit fiber run they have now!" :eng99:

I told him "That's like saying your dick is 12 inches because it's 6 in AND out."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

My company is running some quotes for security and we were quoted $20k to install 7 security cameras and an on-premises recording device which turns out to be two 2gb spinner hard drives in a Raid-0 config with a 1-year warranty. I have no confidence this thing is going to save us when we need it.

I'm seeing 7 dropcams each with a month of cloud recording is $1000 a year total and I figure I'll recommend something along those lines instead. Are there any cloud services similar to Dropcam that anyone here can vouch for, or otherwise low-maintenance and affordable on-premesis solutions?

Hey, Costco Hot Dog Server gets $15/hr for no stress. It's cash only too, you'll never have people whipping out their Level Up apps.

Don't use cloud recording unless you want either poo poo video quality or to dedicate 20mbps+ upload 24/7.

$20k isn't outrageous for 7 cameras if they're A: nice cameras and B: installed properly. That NVR you described doesn't give me the warm and fuzzies, though.

Check out my physical security thread in A/T and if you're in Upstate NY or Northern PA, feel free to shoot me a PM as well.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Drunk Orc posted:

Was just notified that another tech got a new job he will be leaving for on Friday, and that I get to drive between two buildings daily now to do both our jobs for the same pay until he is replaced. :eng99:

Sounds like he made the right move.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Drunk Orc posted:

Pretty much what I was thinking, maybe it's time to start looking for new spots more aggressively. :shrug:

At least you're not commission like me. Why did I ever go into sales? :shepicide:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Are you straight sales or pre-sales engineering?

Both! Our company is too small for dedicated sales engineers, so I get to try to find new customers and then hold their hand designing the project while they complain about how everything should be free.

Also, I'm 100% commission. Because I'm loving stupid.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Docjowles posted:

Some shitlord sales guy keeps calling me and leaving the worst voice mails ever. "Hey Docjowles, this is Joe with <some company I have never heard of>. I'm calling back about <some product I have never heard of>. Let me know when we can talk. Thanks."

I have no idea who the gently caress you are, who your company is, or what you sell. I have never spoken with you before. Don't leave me a voice mail like I owe you something. We haven't even spoken directly and you've already set the chance that I ever buy something from your company to zero. Great job :downs:

They're banking on you being too busy to remember that you've never talked before. You'd be surprised how much this works. The salesmen that REALLY know what they're doing don't leave voicemails at all, though. They pull the "buddy" schtick with the secretary to get your extension and then keep calling over and over till they get you in person.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Potato Alley posted:

:confused:

Did you change jobs? I thought you worked for <giant wholesaler/distributor> in their consulting arm.

Yeah, about a year ago. My current boss called in as a customer and just so happened to get me on the phone. Towards the end of the call, he invited me out to coffee and sold me on a job. I guess that makes him a better salesman than me. :v:

I literally went from Fortune 100 to a 10 man shop in one fell swoop. Neither is all it's cracked up to be.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Mar 11, 2015

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The Fool posted:

If you want help with the computer, check out haus of tech support. If you want advice on the best whiskey to help with coping, you're in the right place.

Whiskey time!

These are the three I have in my liquor cabinet ATM:

https://glenmorangie.com/en/glenmorangie-quinta-ruban
http://www.themacallan.com/the-whisky/sherry-oak/sherry-oak-18/
https://www.makersmark.com/

I use the Maker's for cocktails and drink the other two neat.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

flosofl posted:

Is he hacking with a video editing keyboard?

I also like to play "What's on the hacker' screen(s)?"

Looks like...

Webmail
SCADA status dashboard of some sort? (or a game)
Either a cert or a really big public key.

The screen in the lower left is the game Uplink.

It's cheesy as hell, but it's a great game. Go play it.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Mar 12, 2015

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

SEKCobra posted:

Uplink is great, and even somewhat realistic in an abstract way.

There is absolutely nothing even remotely realistic about the hacking in Uplink, abstract or literal. However, it is still the MOST accurate depiction of hacking I've ever seen in mass media. Which makes me sad, because I think you could make a game about real hacking that would actually be really fun. Maybe when I have gobs of free time (yeah, right)....

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Bhodi posted:

There are tons of "real" hacking puzzle games, some are fun, but all require programming knowledge and a passion for fiddling at a brick wall until you unlock the secret.

I don't mean stuff like hackthissite.org (although that one is pretty fun). I mean a real game that applies concepts properly while handwaving away the boring/obtuse stuff. I don't expect people to be able to execute a SQL injection, but they can use a simplified port scanner interface to see that a database with the information you want is externally accessible and poke at it a bit with a GUI tool.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Alder posted:

I want to work for IT

Found your problem.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Super Slash posted:

I await the inevitable meltdown :munch:

It's like people just see some shiny new technology and go balls out into it, I'm in the exact same situation and it's so loving dumb; you cannot do work on an iPad, you also DEFINITELY cannot do work on an iPad when you're an orangutan who is incapable with technology. Literally all our use their pads for the Calendar function and a free document scanner app (Wow! Just like their iPhones too!), mostly they just get left at home or their kids use them.

I mean sure you could argue the use of Office 365 or even remote services, but have you ever used excel with only a touch screen? I just always say they should've had laptops from the beginning.

WTF, Chromebooks are like $200. Get them that and use the Pro version of Google Docs or Office 365.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

BaseballPCHiker posted:

That would work except for the fact that for some reason the prior bigwigs signed a 3 year contract with another cloud storage provider so that we are stuck using that, and the fact that our stupid sales app was created by some idiot outside marketing agency and only works in iOS devices.

That sucks, because Chromebooks are pretty much made for idiot sales reps that will lose their laptop / get a virus / not back anything up ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgiaQp4UBHI

KillHour fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Mar 17, 2015

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Alder posted:

I don't but some people can be very determined if they have enough time + effort on their hands. I would quote more but then it starts looking awkward into a giant quote blocks on forums.

If anyone really wanted to find you, they could find you. Don't worry about it. You could figure out my exact address (and pretty much everything else about me) just sifting through my post history on SA.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

evol262 posted:

Even though I never actually watched PurePwnage, I was a global mod on their forums. I spent a lot of time trolling their tech support forum and it kind of escalated. I was really, really active. I'd honestly be a little surprised if there's anyone who posted on the PurePwnage forum (or IRC, which I opped) from 2005-2007 who didn't recognize my nick.

I don't remember that guy specifically, but I probably locked some stupid thread he made after 2 posts, called him stupid, and put him on probation.

But no, he never found me. Whew.

Sounds about right.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Dick Trauma posted:

This is what $9k looks like, or $10k if you include that Thunderbolt display.

I know that people have a thing about Macs, but it's going to be obsolete in 3 years, just like any other workstation, anyways. I just don't see it.

What are the specs?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Bhodi posted:

That thing is a computer?

Wow, I'm really out of touch.

Also, lol at all the cables. No matter how slick your device there's still a bunch of ugly wires coming out.

They say it's designed like that for better cooling (heat rises), but I think someone just really wanted to make an iTrashcan.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

Starting retail is $3k which is still expensive but you're cramming so much into so a small space.

Granted, I'm kinda perplex with - not sure if this the right word - utility or TCO you get out of Apple desktops but OS X is awfully nice.

I dunno, I've never been a huge OS X fan. Then again, I can't think of a desktop GUI that I really like.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

If I had a choice I'd run OS X over any other OS. The interface is just incredibly well done and if I needed anything else I'd just spin up a vm or rdp.

I like Ubuntu better, TBH. Actually, I like WIndows 8 better, too.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Inspector_666 posted:

I think it would be interesting if Apple had put the ports on the bottom of the case, so that you could drill a hole in the desk and have it really be seamless.

EDIT: You could also countersink the case and oh man that would be pretty.

You may as well just strap the bare motherboard to the bottom of the desk, at that point.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm pretty shocked nobody's done a custom skin of *nix and created their own boutique brand, yet.

Seems like something Lenovo or ASUS would do.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

mewse posted:

Asus tried back around the eeePc days and it was as clunky and horrible as you might imagine

Yes, but they tried to actually put it on the eeePC, which was the biggest (okay, littlest, whatever) piece of poo poo.

Edit: I just realized I was describing a Chromebook.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

evol262 posted:

They called it "Mac OS 10"

I meant nobody else.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Inspector_666 posted:

It's a lot of work. There are lost of complaints you can make about walled gardens, but Apple's is really goddamn nice inside. ASUS makes good money now without having to worry about all of the software headaches that they get to shove off onto MS.

I never claimed it was a great idea. I'm just surprised nobody's tried it. I guess Microsoft kind of is now, with their self-branded hardware. And Google, with their Chromebooks. And Amazon.... Alright, fine.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

evol262 posted:

NeXTStep had a couple of enormous advantages as a base. They controlled the kernel, most of their frameworks had/have no equivalent on other operating systems (NS*), the language was obscure, and it already had some uptake from vendors (mostly Adobe at that point).

When combined with the extremely simple structure of Carbon and Mac OS Classic applications (which also didn't run anywhere else), Apple could write a pretty small compatibility layer and bring everything from their old ecosystem in. And nobody else could.

When you talk about skinning *nix (I'm assuming you mean Linux here, since nobody would want to skin AIX, and BSD isn't actually "UNIX" at this point anyway, but we can lump it in anyway because that's just not paying money), there's almost no API or framework you can use which locks users into your particular boutique. And it's licensed in such a way that you'd have an extremely hard time doing that even if you wanted to. In theory, you could base off FreeBSD and make noncompatible changes to BSD libc (or some other core component) that link into your compiled, obfuscated library, but this isn't a thing on Linux. So users could just copy your files off and run them on any non-boutique distro they wanted. It's a losing proposition, and none of the (Windows) applications you want to use run anyway.

I don't mean carbon copy the walled garden approach from Apple. I mean skin a Linux distro to be as idiot-proof as possible (*cough* Ubuntu *cough*) and leverage the existing ecosystem from that with a nice application storefront. There's no reason to lock people into your kernel if you just want to sell the hardware for beaucoup bucks to people that are too cool for Windows, or whatever.

Google did it with the Pixel.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

evol262 posted:

Google did not do it with the Pixel, or any other Chromebook. Google took a distro (which distro doesn't matter, but it's currently kind-of Gentoo, though it wasn't always) and wrote their own non-X11-compliant compositor which breaks every fundamental tenet of X and runs Chrome directly on top of it with hardware compositing. Every single application you can use is rendered with Chrome, because they're all webpages. They are not "leveraging the existing ecosystem" in any way, and virtually nothing from the Linux ecosystem (nothing that relies on X, anyway) will work on ChromeOS even if you enable developer mode, unless you install something like crouton which puts a compliant X-server on and runs it outside of ChromeOS's compositor, which is way too jarring for users.

This is great for Google, because they want a platform which only needs to run Chrome. This is a terrible strategy that doesn't work for any company which isn't also an application vendor.

I didn't mean they did exactly that, I mean they took Linux and customized it to their needs for a high-spec flagship piece of hardware. My point is just that I'm surprised there isn't more competition in the "High end PC that doesn't run Windows" market.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Inspector_666 posted:

There also isn't a market for "High end PCs that don't run Windows" that isn't Apple, period. Unless you mean the server market, in which case the OEMs don't give a gently caress what OS you put on their poo poo anyway, and the people using it definitely don't care about an app store.

If you need a high end gaming rig, your choice is Windows and that's it. If you want something fancy, you buy an Apple. There's no use case for anything else.

You realize you're making the argument that I'm trying to make, right? Apple has a monopoly on "Fancy PCs that hipsters use because it's not Windows." Why is nobody competing for that market?

evol262 posted:

I'm just trying to make the point here that "taking Linux and customizing it to their needs for a high-spec flagship piece of hardware" is done all the time, especially in embedded stuff you never see (even if it's "high end" kit in the datacenter), but also Rokus, every Android phone, and a bunch of other stuff. But that's using the kernel and glibc.

I get your point.

evol262 posted:

But putting a "skin" on top of Linux, where Linux implies something like a distro that users may actually use and the associated applications (Spotify, gaming, CAD, etc) to make it usable is something that nobody has done.

THIS is my point. Why has nobody done this?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Imagine rolling up to the lan party with that bitch

I've taken my Fractal Define XL to a LAN party. The case alone is 40lbs. :suicide:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Inspector_666 posted:

Because what's your sales pitch? "Pay as much as an Apple for this computer that runs an OS you've never heard of and doesn't run any of the programs you want to use!"

That's not how you pitch a luxury purchase. That's what it is - nobody needs a Macbook Pro. It doesn't have to be more capable than its competition, it just has to make people smug about owning it.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Roargasm posted:

Doesn't dealing in percentages of your paid out salary cheapen what you're doing? I've always negotiated in whole numbers. The total cost to employ you is much higher than what you're paid out, and I feel entitled to a raise of at least ... say 5% of the value that I generated during the year. The CEO who closes a bunch of locations for Q3 earnings fuckery is getting a significantly higher cut, and that's the kind of action I'm looking to get into (getting loving rich).

And evol, if I were to say it to your face you would have had the pleasure of working with me already.

Getting"loving rich" is for people who either A: Sell things or B: Manage others. Unless you're a superstar engineer at Google, Microsoft, Cisco et al., you're not getting rich in a purely technical job.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Bhodi posted:

virtually no one gets "loving rich" period

This is true, since "loving rich" doesn't mean $80k, or even $250k. That's barely the normal kind of "rich". $2.5M, maybe.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

evol262 posted:

Realistically, anybody can get "loving rich" if they want to by living cheap and investing wisely. Also, 100% remote work jobs can make you "loving rich" if you wanna move somewhere (I could theoretically move to the woods in NC or move to Wyoming and nobody would even know, and I'd be loaded in Idaho). But it's really hard to be "loving rich" and live a "loving rich" lifestyle without making sales/C-level kind of money or going into tons of debt. It's easier if you don't have kids, but still.

I don't get people who do that. The reason to be "loving rich" is to live like it. Who cares if you have millions in the bank if you live in a cabin in the mountains and chop your own firewood? That money's not doing anything for you, and it sure as hell isn't going to be worth poo poo after you're dead.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Roargasm posted:

I used the term loving rich in the literal context of discussing a CEO's compensation. The scare quotes aren't necessary, it was only for emphasis, and I am not implying that I'm the next Mark Cuban. But, that's the kind of scale and power that I aspire to :shrug:

I just used the quotes to specify that I'm considering the entire phrase as a noun (i.e: loving rich can mean different things, but "loving rich" is a specific thing). Anyways, I'm just saying you're in the wrong job if that's what you aspire to. I'll be happy if I can keep the bill collectors away and have enough money (and free time) that I can splurge on a few relatively pricey toys (fun cars, interesting art, good food, etc.).

evol262 posted:

People aspire to different things.

Some people want to retire really early with a lot of money in the bank, and that's easier to do if you're not stuck somewhere with lifestyle creep. Or maybe they just enjoy living in the mountains and chopping their own firewood and don't wanna have to worry about what happens if someone gets sick or they need a new car or they want to travel for the next 3 years or whatever.

Just because you can't take it with you doesn't mean that everyone wants to do the same things with their money.

I get that, but some people take it to the extreme. I have a standard of living I hope to achieve that I believe is (relatively) realistic. Some people just want to hoard money for money's sake.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Mar 20, 2015

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Roargasm posted:

You're right, and it does sound really douchy hearing it quoted back at me. I just feel like I'm running out of things to learn here, at least technically. I want to work on a team and at a meaningful scale, but apparently I'm going to have to majorly adjust my expectations if I'm going to take a 2% raise as something besides an insult.

Then start looking now. If you're smart, charismatic and ballsy enough, you can for sure double your salary every 4-5 years. You'll never be in the same job/company for more than 2, and you'll always need to be hungry and aggressive, but it's doable. You have to claw and fight your way to the top. And the higher you go, the harder you have to fight.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

Has anyone here been at a company or a position for more than a few years?

I've never held one for more than 2 as I just get too bored and found something else more interesting.

I was at my last job for 2 and a half, but I was beyond ready for a move at that point.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Bhodi posted:

The tragic part about all this is that KillHour truly believes he can rise through the ranks from lowly technician to CEO or just go off and form a successful company and spend his evenings on jets and yachts and he was told he actually wants this by our fantastic marketing. So is going to spend the next decade of his life making sacrifices to try and get closer and closer to that Sisyphean goal.

Are you smoking crack? I work in technical sales, not break fix. And I don't want to be CEO, or even management. I just said I want enough money to buy some nice things. A $100k+ salary isn't outrageous for a sales engineer to aspire to.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Mar 22, 2015

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Gyshall posted:

gently caress Sales People Forever

We're not all terrible. :sigh:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

captkirk posted:

It costs like $200 to get a basic dumb phone and like $20/month for a non-data prepaid plan. I would be shocked to find a smart phone plan that cheap. It is also completely valid to simply prefer not to have a smart phone. You can understand and appreciate technology and still prefer not to buy it.

About 5 years ago, I was passed over for a job because I didn't have a smartphone. It obviously meant I'm "not passionate about technology." :rolleye:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

redeyes posted:

Can someone tell me what this type of fiber connection this is:

That transceiver is a 10mb unit.. the cable has 4 of those internal fiber wires of which 2 are being used. I need to get this at least 100mb, or 1000mb for the win. What do we call these connections and what unit would replace the transceiver with faster connection speeds?

[edit] I just can't tell but would something like this plug directly into those fiber cables? I can't replace the cables easily at all, they run under a parking lot.
http://www.amazon.com/Gigabit-Ether...tic+transceiver

Those connectors are ST ("Stab n' Twist" is how most people remember it). But connectors have nothing to do with what the fiber can handle. Are there any markings on the cable itself?

Making the assumption that the fiber is multimode 62.5/125 and you need to go to 10/100 copper, something like this is what you want on both ends:

http://www.tripplite.com/fiber-optic-10-100baset-to-100basefx-st-media-converter-2km-1300nm~N784001ST/