Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

What's the weather like though? I'd love to leave England for somewhere much warmer, but that only leaves Australia pretty much for English speaking countries. I suck at learning new languages

And just lol at coming to Australia for an ICT job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

I haven't done too much research aside from seeing that network engineer was a job they'd let you in for. Is it no good? Emigrating is some scary poo poo

Our government is so incompetent and clueless about technology that it's causing wholesale brain drain. If you want to read how to completely gently caress up a nation's telecommunications network, read up on what's happened to our NBN. Then read the encryption laws that got successfully passed. They have basically hosed the sector for no good reason.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

devmd01 posted:

Hell, even some of the azure

I just got informed about how microsoft wants this pronounced and it is amazingly stupid.

Azha. They can gently caress right off.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Zero VGS posted:

Did some dude from Wipro tell you that? Because no one with English as their first language would pronounce that word in a way other than how it's actually pronounced.

I mean, Microsoft has commercials where they pronounce it correctly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lki7HOOkFjU&t=17s

I realise that the problem here may be my horrible attempt at phonetic typing, but the link you posted is the pronunciation that im talking about, and is horribly wrong.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Vulture Culture posted:

Have you tried not being British?

Every day of my life. Im Australian, and thats not how you pronounce azure.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

GreenNight posted:

It’s the Fosters way of pronouncing it.

Heh. Appropriate.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Otis Reddit posted:

Thanks thread. I'm studying Security+ because it seems like the easiest major cert that's not total dogshit. I'm also reading up on AD and Watchguard (the MSP I work at is a Watchguard shop rather than Sonicwall). My understanding is that Powershell would be a good next step. What cloud tech subject matter might I want to look into also. Lastly, any inspirational goontales ya'll can share?

I got bored at work and started playing around with power BI and now im creating dashboards for C level managers. Find something that interests you and get good at it.

Learning powershell is also a pro move.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

We use bluejeans and it just sort of works. Dont know if it would scale up to 150 users though.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

bull3964 posted:

Gah, made me look and I forgot that I've been here for half my life.

And I just turned 40.

My original account was a 1999 :corsair:

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

An opportunity has opened up at my company where I could move into the managed services area using azure, because we need someone certified and capable. Are there any certs, presumably MS based, that are better than others?

I found this one which I will start to work on, but would my time be better spent elsewhere?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

George H.W. oval office posted:

That’s the one you’ll want unless you’re in a more architect/sales-y role in which you will want the other Azure one they offer.

Microsoft is starting to split out their exams based on role instead of just an all encompassing solution exam

Cheers. Now I just need to decide if this is the route I want to go, or lean more into power bi / data analysis.

Or both I suppose.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Frohike999 posted:

I just wanted to say thanks to this thread for all the AWS Solutions Architect talk a month or so ago. I passed the associate exam over the weekend. I'm still not sure where I want to go with it now but after working the same job for so long it's been refreshing to look at something different.

Got a rough idea what page it was on so I can go back and check it out?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Zotix posted:

*types in "entry level information technology(or help desk) at indeed.com*

proceeds to click first link... "Tier 1 help desk agent"

Requires: 3 years of previous help desk experience. #$%#$%^$%^&$%@#$$%!@#!@~

IMO experience doesnt count as much as being able to learn new systems and processes quickly, having good troubleshooting skills and being able to stay calm while talking to people who are frustrated and annoyed.

Course, im not a hiring agent, so yeah, poo poo sucks.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Nuclearmonkee posted:

I’ve never understood this though I’ve also seen it. Lots of network tasks at scale are some of the most mind numbing tasks imaginable. Why wouldn’t you want to automate it for your own sanity?

People get really protective about their own little patch, ask me about the IT manager who used to work here who wasnt allowed to have an admin login to our ERP software because HR didnt want to give it out to anyone.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Thanks to the recent talk about password managers I have been going through and adding all our passwords to keepass and have come to the conclusion that most people are complete idiots who should not be allowed to set a password in anty way shape or form.

Even the IT staff who should know better set such bullshit weakass passwords its legit scary.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

That's a funny way of saying password123

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

DropsySufferer posted:

What would it take to go from IT support engineer to a programmer/software developer? I am finally realizing no matter what it's not going to be easier for me to deal with people/make interactions less draining. I'm getting older and just tired of fighting this fact about me. People are a drain always have been for every single job I've ever had. I like people but I'm a major introvert. I think programmer is possible but it's a huge change in what I planned to point that I'm not sure where to start.

Start with powershell imo.

I say this as someone who is in basically the same position, except im trying to lean into powershell, power bi and azure admin to put as many skills as possible on my cv so i never have to talk to a customer again.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

tango alpha delta posted:

If you are just learning Powershell, please do not include a dollar sign in any passwords in your scripts. Powershell assumes that anything following a dollar sign is a new variable.

I've been called out at 2 in the morning because a developer's Powershell script kept crashing. They had added $ without using double quotes in their server password.

Haha, thanks for the tip. I'm slightly past that stage, but always happy to hear tips like this.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

klosterdev posted:

- How to subnet
- How to crimp
- How to punch
- Knowing what a gateway is
- How not to cause a broadcast storm

At my last job we had a big outage when someone from the help desk plugged a switch into itself. Took down the whole network. Good times.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Methanar posted:

buy switches that aren't from 1997 and or alibaba

Lol, that would involve the company actually spending money on infrastructure. Why bother when you are a tech company and the entire place is full of programmers, they can just fix anything that pops up.

Also having a network admin

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Woof Blitzer posted:

gently caress Jira

The Dev team is currently looking at replacing Gemini and JIRA is the front runner so far. Are there any other solutions I should throw in the ring for them to evaluate?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

I would just like to take a moment to appreciate power bi for making me look like I know what im doing. I know its pretty basic stuff, but hooking into a live website and pumping out a dashboard is pretty cool, and is amazing to the managers.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

22 Eargesplitten posted:

So you just have to go take the time to vote for nobody and nothing? Sounds like another way for the government to remind you that they own you, but okay.

I caught your post before you edited it, so I was looking for where I put an "I" where there wasn't supposed to be one or didn't where one was supposed to be.

Mandatory voting is good and helps improve the whole process. It means candidates have to appeal to a much wider audience rather than a hyper focused base block of voters, which theoretically helps moderate their platform

Course, it also means that you have to make voting easy, not engage in widespread voter suppression and not throw up roadblocks like voter ID.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Super Soaker Party! posted:

Look I usually don't go all America rahrah jingoistic bullshit,

There is not many things that make me proud to be an Australian, but our system of voting and elections is one of them. It just sucks that our media is so captured and toxic that is ruins nearly everything else. Serious, just adopt the Australian method, except maybe add in Hare and Clarke.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

What happens if you load windows 10 enterprise, log into a domain to authorise the OS, then log out of the domain, take the device home and start to use it for personal use? Does it ever phone home, or am I free and clear?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Internet Explorer posted:

"Phone home" is a very broad term. What exactly are you asking?

And please don't steal poo poo from work.

I'm not stealing, I worked out a deal with my boss and it's all above board, but now I have a surface pro 3. I was told to wipe it and take it home, so I did a reset on the OS, but joined the domain to authorise the OS, then took it off the domain.

I know sfa about windows licences and stuff, so I wanted to know if there were any repercussions if I used a company version of 10 enterprise, or should I just get my own home OS.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Internet Explorer posted:

If it's KMS it will try to check back in in 90 days (iirc) and will deactivate. If it's MAK you're good.

Ahhhh, gotcha. Im pretty sure its KMS, so I will just grab my own OS. Thanks.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

dorkanoid posted:

It's been a while since I worked on this, but doesn't the device come with a license for Windows Pro with the key in the bios? (as in, you can install keyless, or get the revocery image from MS).

I remember something about Enterprise requiring the device to be licensed with a lesser version of the OS (though this was back in the Win 8 days, and with MAK).

I did not know this.

Thanks, will chase this down.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Half the people currently in infosec probably did worse at 16.

Sure, but there is a difference between having the knowledge on how to break stuff and proclaiming in an interview that you like to break stuff.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Anyone got a link to a crash course on QlikSense? I applied to a job assuming it would be similar to power BI, but there are a bunch of differences and I need to cram as much info in as quickly as possible.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Woof Blitzer posted:

Also punishable by death:
- loud conference calls
- open offices
- eating at your desk
- mechanical keyboards

It really seems like once you outlaw open offices, the other three will no longer be such an issue.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Sickening posted:

I once had a hiring manager in an interview bring up the fact that my average length of time in a company was less than two years per and to have me explain why. I had a giggle at his linked in after as his was probably less than mine.

Last time I talked to a recruiter they brought up the fact that my last two jobs have been about a year, both of which were explainable, and said that it showed I didnt like to stay at one company for an extended amount of time, conveniently ignoring my first job where I was with one company for 13 years.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Thanks Ants posted:

Nobody is really a huge lover of Teams, they just don't think that it's worth spending £10 per month per user to have access to a chat app that syncs with their corporate directory and supports SSO.

I much prefer teams over our previous solution of some people using slack, some people of Skype and some people on Skype for business.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

I have been doing a bit of BI / data analysis and im starting to run into questions that im not finding an easy answer on Google for, and I was wondering if anyone in here has some info/links/recommendations.

Im having a set up my own data model, and I understand the whole star schema concept, but putting it into practice isn't quite as easy as my previous attempts. I am not 100% sure that im picking the right information to leave in the data set, what fields to put in the lookup/dimension tables and how much to leave in the fact tables.

I realise this isn't an easy one off question to answer, so does anyone have any good resources that I can check out?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Agrikk posted:

Once upon a time I found this book and later on this one that I found helpful. It's c. 2008 and is for SQL Server, but the concepts mentioned in it haven't changed in a decade.

It was a really good jumping off point for me before I just jumped in with various data sets and started building stuff, cuz after all nothing beats experience.

Thanks, much appreciated.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Judge Schnoopy posted:

This month's hill to die on:

I will not accept or reject your meeting request if you haven't spoken to me about it. Go ahead and send invites all day, I might make it if I've cleared my workload for the day and the meeting looks interesting. But unless you mention the meeting to me personally (I'd like you to be there for x, you should stay in the loop on this, we need your input on y, this is required for our auditors) I don't feel inclined to respond at all.

Semi related query.

If you have discussed the fact that there will be a meeting, and then a meeting request is sent, do you consider hitting "Accept" to be enough, or do you reply to the email and accept manually as well?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Sepist posted:

You can look into using a powerline to connect your destination or put an AP on the other side of the house https://www.techradar.com/news/networking/powerline-networking-what-you-need-to-know-930691

I've used it in the past with success

I used this to connect to an upstairs AP from downstairs and it worked a treat. Depends on how old the wiring is in your house though.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

Singing poorly in the car on the way to work is like the highlight of my morning.

I have listened to so many podcasts after having to change to driving to work.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Hughmoris posted:

Here's something else, Sickening: I have eight different bosses right now. Eight! So that means when I make a mistake, I have eight different people coming by to tell me about it.

Sounds like your real motivation is not to be hassled; that, and the fear of losing your job. But you know, that will only make someone work just hard enough not to get fired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

KillHour posted:

Also, 5:30 meetings just suck.

My work is pretty good about those. They try not to schedule them, but because we work over many time zones sometimes you have to. They are happy to let you go home early and set up there for the meeting, which is nice.