Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Just had a first round interview with a startup. They haven't received series A funding yet and they're still very small, but their product is almost ready for release. The position would be a management position, but with a lot of hands-on and also a good bit of pre and post sales work involved. What's a good amount of equity to ask for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

:yotj:

Changing industries entirely to work at a startup that does intrusion prevention for Industrial Control Systems and SCADA networks. Basically the same pay, but it also comes with stock options, better benefits, and no more dealing with the government (at least until they inevitably start doing public sector sales). And I'll be focused on selling/integrating two products instead of 15.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Tab8715 posted:

I'm working with an Oil and Gas company and I can see why have IoT Devices is incredibly useful in the field but the potential security risk is obscene.

And every SCADA network I've worked with inevitably has been connected to the internet in some terrible way because $x vendor needs data. :smith:

The few that I've worked on so far in my current/previous gig have been fairly modern, thankfully. The engineering manager for this new company said it's not uncommon to run into token ring and FDDI still running in certain verticals, though, especially petrochemical.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

GreenNight posted:

It's 45 cents for a god drat cup and it doesn't even fill up the cup. I have my own coffee maker at my desk now. So does most people. It's idiotic. I complain about it on every survey.

Don't you work for a government contractor? Sounds typical.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Nothing quite reinforces the "We do not value you at all" feeling more than being charged to buy coffee so you can stay awake doing work for your Job Creator to get rich on.

I worked at a place that made us account for every phone call we made that wasn't local.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I like to turn it more into a conversation about what they do, what I've done, what we're interested in, and how I can help their team. It might be a bit more challenging in lower-level positions where they're looking more for rote knowledge of stuff, but it certainly makes them empathize with you more.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Back when I used to do that stuff I made it clear that teams who didn't have people available to test during the maintenance window would get best effort support starting at 9AM on Monday. Not good enough? Then have someone online to test.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

You guys are so backwards. I will take any job up the ladder you're willing to give me, and I will spend the weekend before I start googling "how to CIO". Whether I'm qualified for a job is inconsequential, the only thing I care about is whether you'll give it to me.

I tell people to use the 25% rule: if you only meet 25% of the qualifications in the listing, apply anyway. Those things are wish lists and anyone who meets all of the qualifications wouldn't be applying for the job in the first place.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I like how the ziptie is wider than the space between the ports.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Experience working for a bad manager is probably the most important part of developing your own management style. When I was a manager I thought about all of the things I hated that my previous terrible managers had done, and then made a point to not do them.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Vulture Culture posted:

I literally work in tech because I had a bad experience with a web host once and went down the rabbit hole of "how hard can this poo poo be?"

Yeah. I'll admit that I'm driven somewhat by spite and the desire to do something better than people who suck at it. This made me condescend to people when I was younger; I've gained some humility since then (at least I'd like to think I have), especially after spending time in the Army and realizing that being a dick to people doesn't make them any better at their job (in fact, it usually makes them worse at it). Now that I'm in consulting/presales, it's even more relevant since the way to sell people on ideas is to empathize with them. Still, in private conversations with coworkers and friends, I can't help but shake my head when I, as a security engineer, have to show a Windows admin how to set up a Certificate Authority or a network engineer how to redistribute one routing protocol into another.

A lot of these people just want to do a good enough job to be able to put food on the table and maybe buy season tickets for their favorite NFL team or spend money on another hobby. And there's really nothing wrong with that, so long as they aren't loving up all the time. Good managers and good IT workers realize this and help those employees succeed, rather than alienating them, which will only lead to them loving up more.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

I still see people that are interviewing for system admin/engineer spots put "experience with Microsoft Office" on their resumes.

I still cram all of that poo poo down at the bottom of my resume to make it past word filters. But then again, every position I've interviewed for recently (including the one I just got) was from me being called by a recruiter, so maybe I should just take it out at this point.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I have about a month of PTO accrued, so that'll be a nice little bonus in a couple of weeks.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I don't understand how DevOps can work. We all know developers refuse to work after hours during maintenance windows.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

If you can, skip working at a MSP and go work at a VAR.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

big money big clit posted:

We have unlimited PTO and I think I'm going to hit about 6 weeks off this year, not counting holidays, including a three week vacation in November. I guess I'm just naturally selfish, because I have no problem taking that much time off despite it being untracked. It's a big reason I'm at this job instead of working for a vendor and probably making more money.

Palo Alto has unlimited PTO. When they were courting me in the past, they said that most of their employees take about 5-6 weeks off each year, but some take more and that's fine.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Anyone purchased independent ST/LT disability insurance? If so, who's a good provider? The startup that hired me has a group health insurance plan, but they don't have disability insurance yet.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

We have this brand new platform, everyone. It's called a private cloud, where you take our cloud service and place it in your own data center. You don't even need an internet connection for it to work! Stay tuned for our next big invention, which will completely replace thin clients and VDI: they're fully functioning computers with storage that you can put right on your desk. No need to run VDI at all!

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

It took me 3.5 hours, including reviewing all of my questions. All I did was read some of the books. You'll be fine.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

It's been my experience that application developers will attempt to foist as much blame onto the network team as possible until they can un-gently caress whatever stupid change they made.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I never got why managers get offended by people quitting.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Sepist posted:

We were giving them 250 million a year in hardware as a company and our group gave them 4 million a year to have 3 multi-CCIE holders onsite all year so they kind of owed us

I worked at a place where we only had a $6million account with Cisco and they still took us out to fancy lunch once a month.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Kashuno posted:

Just lol if no one in your company has a macro enabled workbook that’s takes over 15 minutes to update every day

10 million rows that they then try to sort several times.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

dogstile posted:

I joke about this being "the dream" all the time but i'm actually wondering what they did all day. Especially before the golden age of shitposting.

They probably shitposted to their favorite news group.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

In consulting and pre-sales, I've always found that most of the stress is due to the inherently oppositional nature of dealing with customers. Someone's always going to be pissed off that you're there either doing their job or that your product beat out the one they preferred. And even when this isn't the case, the people you're dealing with oftentimes don't know why something is going wrong, which causes them massive amounts of anxiety.

The first step is tuning out all of the people freaking the gently caress out over it, because all they'll do is distract you or stress you out more. After your initial response indicating you're on it, turn off your phone, ignore email, etc. There's only a few people who you actually need to talk to, and you probably know who they are. Once you've made some progress, then you can send an update.

If you're physically there with the customer this is more difficult. At that point, you usually have to adopt a calm, assertive demeanor and explain what you're doing and why you're doing it. People typically respond well to that, much like the pilot explaining the reason for the long tarmac delay versus the one who just leaves you there in frustration.

Don't be overly apologetic or earnest. If it doesn't come off as insincere, then it tends to reinforce the customer's prejudices about the situation, which are oftentimes wrong, and will only add more stress to the situation. Lay out a plan of action instead and don't engage with the angry guy at the meeting.

psydude fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Jun 9, 2018

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I had a candidate send back an incomplete technical assessment two days early telling me he was too busy to finish it. Well, I'm too busy to consider his candidacy any further.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Internet Explorer posted:

About how much work goes into completing this technical assessment?

2-3 hours. I give people a week to do it and tell them not to overthink it, offering them more time if they're traveling or have something that's going to tie up their time. A lot of people have fun with it because it's basically asking you to explore an industrial network and answer questions.

psydude fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jun 12, 2019

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Interviewing is unpaid work, and we don't make candidates come on site if they can't swing it. If you don't wanna do it, then don't look for a new job I guess.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

What point is this in the candidate hiring process? And for what kind of role?

Security SME/sales engineer. They were pretty late in the process, as the next step would have been an interview with the CTO and then a hiring decision.

psydude fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jun 12, 2019

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

It's a late stage interview step and he's the first person to ever not complete it. So I'm not sure you're right that we're turning away quality candidates.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Internet Explorer posted:

Asking people to work for free is wrong and you should not do it.

It's a standardized assessment that has no business value to us outside of assessing a candidate's technical skills, so it's not "free work" any more than asking them to fill out our job application or answering hypothetical questions about specific use cases is "free work."

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Nuclearmonkee posted:

If you are giving them a task that takes hours of their time that's loving work, regardless of how pointless it is.

I'm given pointless tasks from time to time which I do at work, for money.

I also sit on phonecalls with people who ask me questions for work. Is your argument that doing things at job interviews that you do for work is free work? If I ask a candidate how to configure a switch, is that free work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Agrikk posted:

When my twins were born they slept for ninety minutes then ate and shat for ninety minutes then slept.

While they slept, I could either sleep OR shower OR eat OR go exercise OR just just on the couch and wonder what I’d done to my life.

It gets waaaay easier and it is waaay more fun, but yeah, you ain’t getting poo poo done for yourself.

Just gotta find that sweet spot of staggering your conference calls between the sleep and poo poo cycles.