Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

For a minute I thought I'd have to stop eating rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

I have never had PTO denied because I don’t work for shitheads.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

That Linux mess reads like someone is trying to compensate for lovely app code.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

stevewm posted:

Which city's subway is this?

Tokyo

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

I’m pretty sure most of those background check services are just scams that cost an inordinate amount of money. I had to work with one of them during a hiring process years ago and they made me dig up proof of a job I had 8 years prior. They don’t actually do anything. They just make you do all the work. It was a loving miserable experience and I wrote a bunch of really angry words about it at the time (I actually went back through my old email and I was much angrier than I remembered).

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

mllaneza posted:

I had one service fail me on a check because two different employers used the same outsourced HR service, so they must be the same company, so they asked one of them about both date ranges, and failed me because employer M said I hadn't worked for them in the time period I was with employer T. Fortunately the recruiter wasn't an idiot and it was obvious on the paperwork what the service had done wrong.

The service I was dealing with was unable to verify my employment at my previous employer. Like, the employer I had just left a week prior. That was what set me off and made me write a bunch of angry words. If I wasn't already deep into the onboarding process I would have just cut and run. Background check shenanigans actually caused my start date to get pushed back two days.

It's something I ask about during the interview process now.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

I just get a big loving pile of money.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

Zotix posted:

Follow up question, how common are credit checks in IT? I know a background check is pretty standard for nearly any job in 2020.

If they handle any banking data it’s pretty standard in my experience. Every job that’s dealt with financial data has required a credit check.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

CLAM DOWN posted:

Oh my god just work one job jfc, you're all in the most overpaid profession ever, this is IT

This is a bad post and you should feel bad.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

22 Eargesplitten posted:

You guys that are saying you're overpaid are paid reasonably, everyone else is underpaid.

Thank you for being the voice of reason in a sea of dumbass opinions.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

The first time I read about context switching was this great article from way back in the day.

https://www.joelonsoftware.com/2001/02/12/human-task-switches-considered-harmful/

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

Matt Zerella posted:

psssst, it's the other way around

:thejoke:

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

jaegerx posted:

I posted a few months ago about how bad my hashicorp interview experience was. They’re a loving wreck internally. Decent tools. Awful company.

A few years ago I worked with someone who went to work at Hashicorp. He was the worst "brilliant rear end in a top hat" I have ever had the displeasure of working with. Extremely knowledgeable but an absolute condescending prick. I love the tools but I always think of that dude and have to assume that the company culture is poo poo because that guy is still there.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

out of the frying pan and into the fire

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

GreenNight posted:

We have a guy on my team that will answer any and all emails at all hours. It pisses me off something fierce because management specifically said that when and if they need after hours support, they'll pay us for it. But he gives it to them for free because he feels responsible for the business. Let poo poo fail man and then they'll do something about it instead of thinking it's all on you. Argh.

So many people don’t get this. My girlfriend was constantly staying on late and answering email after hours and her company actually has 24 hour support across multiple time zones. Her team is overloaded and constantly falling behind. They’ve had multiple people leave and their positions were never filled. I put it all together for her - you’re overloaded because the positions aren’t filled but they’re not filling the positions because your team is showing the same level of productivity. Stop giving your company free labor.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

Regardless of how much you hate Amazon they’re still not as bad as any military contractor. There is just no comparison between “treats employees poorly” and “building weapons to bomb brown people”.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

I migrated all of our IAM users to AWS SSO via Okta last year and while there were a few hiccups it works great and there have been no complaints.

we use awscliv2 and yawsso to solve some compatibility issues. It’s great.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

12 rats tied together posted:

Unfortunately for me, I refuse to use awscliv2 because they've stopped publishing it to PyPI for a bunch of really bad reasons that they are (rightfully) getting somewhat dogpiled for.

This is a completely valid gripe and while I agree that it sucks, it's not the end of the world for us.

What we get from SSO far outweighs the hassles of awscliv2

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

GreenNight posted:

It's better to just make sure everyone is domain admin instead.

Yeah just give everyone the admin credentials. Only one password to manage and the users can do that themselves.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

Biowarfare posted:

This sounds like either bullshit or some of the worst possible engineering, like worse than "unmaintained 1 star github repo could have done better as an auth library" level of poo poo code, Twilio has zero blame if so. Who the gently caress makes something that fails open?

These people aren't exactly geniuses.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

Sorry you work for a lovely company.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

If you set Do Not Disturb in slack it pauses all notifications. You'll still get the messages but it won't alert you. The entire point of chat is that the conversation doesn't have to be real-time.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

Yeah it's not a problem at all. It is the way things work for the vast majority of sites. It's an auditor who doesn't know what they're doing (but I repeat myself).

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

I had 6 jobs from 2010 to 2017. I was asked about it during my last interview and after giving the explanation they understood the reasons and it became a non-issue.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

That's one of those things that is so mind bogglingly stupid but has "always worked" and the project required to unfuck it is so large that nobody wants to do it. And besides, It's "always worked" so why would you need to unfuck it anyway? It's a feedback loop of stupid.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

Sickening posted:

:same:

I often find that people put an incredible amount of confidence in me and it terrifies me.

My manager defers time on a wide range of subjects. The rest of my team consult me whenever they have questions about how things work or how they should handle a certain problem.

It scares the poo poo out of me that people listen to my bad opinions.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

I had a 1-on-1 with our CTO last fall and he mentioned that he rented a cabin in Maine for the summer and took his family and just worked remotely. I hadn't even considered doing that but I took it as tacit approval that it was OK so I rented a beach house for 2 weeks this summer.

We also had a town hall last week and our CEO told us that he's happy with how remote went that we're going hybrid workforce. Only two days in the office are expected. This is a complete 180 considering that our pre-covid WFH policy was once a month, and only if it was an emergency (though I will say that IT was a little more lenient and we able to get away with one day a week).

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

Sepist posted:

I was warned that this person is pretty directionless and needs to be told what to do.

After 4 months this has turned out to be true, which isn't necessarily a problem,

This is the important part. If it’s not a problem then what specifically is bothering you about this person?

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

bus hustler posted:

im a loving moron with like no real demonstrable tech skills and i do fine. i'm just good with people and a good communicator, but i don't actually know anything.

i've said this before but i hope all of you nerds are millionaires because i don't know half of this poo poo and i do pretty ok!! i've never done anything in the cloud and my last role was so siloed and huge that i got no hands on experience with poo poo.

One of my good friends basically failed upwards into a 6 figure IT job. He's all soft skills and knows how to get work done without actually doing any work himself. He has very minimal experience with what his actual job is and he's terrified that they are going to figure out that it's all a lie. And this isn't imposter syndrome. He literally doesn't know anything except how to creatively move work around.

I'm super proud of him.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

The correct answer to all of these dumb interview questions is google. I’ve used some version of “I don’t know off the top of my head but I can look it up when I need to.” In every drat interview for the past decade. There’s no reason to memorize trivia.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

I would never work anywhere that an Access database was managing $25M of assets.

I would never work anywhere that an Access database was managing $2 of assets.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

I’ve seen “remote til COVID” a few times and it doesn’t make any loving sense. Pretty amazing that people whose entire job is communication can be so loving bad at it.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

The biggest problem is that LinkedIn started doing that thing where anything a person likes automatically shows up in their followers feeds. So now I just started blocking and removing connections that repeatedly like dumb boomer poo poo. All social networks are terrible and that "show me what my connections like" feature has to be the worst loving offender.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

I’ve been there before. I’ve had long projects that end up taking a mental toll. A good manager will understand and work with you to figure out how to make it better. A bad one will do what yours did.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

Early in my career I worked in a NOC for a very large company. We were staffed 24/7 and our overnights consisted of one person from the operations team and one person from the support team. The operations team had a run book and could resolve certain types of issues without escalating. The production support team was basically there as an interface between the technical teams and the business teams and would handle all the communication coming out of the NOC. Whenever something unexpected blew up we (the ops team) would report it to support and their process involved immediately escalating anything out of the ordinary. So we'd be investigating something and they'd be calling their director (who was non-technical) before we even knew if there was an actual problem or what that problem was. I remember being on bridge calls at 3am where we had everything under control and the director insisted on escalating to someone on-call. Just in case.

I would think about that a lot when I was there. And it never surprised me that the place was basically a revolving door. If you were on an engineering team and your turn to go on call came up, you basically didn't come into work for that week because you were just getting harassed nonstop by the support team. I remember a specific time where a certain technical director was a major decision maker for a lot of the company. He had a planned vacation coming up. He specifically told us not to escalate to him for the next week. And the support team called him the very first day of his vacation. I remember being on a support call where we were literally just waiting for a script to finish running which would resolve an issue and they are still calling people and having them join the conference call. How does anyone not get burned out under those circumstances? Watching that sort of thing take place from the outside made me never want to work on-call again. It also taught me a lot about what effective support organizations look like.

The best lesson I ever learned from that place is what a poorly run company looks like.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

LOL that is dumb as gently caress

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

Wizard of the Deep posted:

I've (very infrequently) had situations where my phone just doesn't get text messages for a few days. Probably AT&T loving up, maybe one of the towers that covers my house is buggered.

I had this problem pretty frequently when I was on AT&T. Text messages would either just not show up or would randomly appear days later. It's never happened with any other carrier.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

go to HR and ask for a raise. bring the email with you.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

I don’t think Phishing tests are worthless. At the very least they tell you which of your users need to be locked down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

References are dumb as hell.