Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
I just turned 25 and have been with my current company (first IT job) for a little over three years. My official job title is IT Manager but since it's a two man team I do pretty much everything from Tier 1 support to Server Admin. What I want to do is network but after we got bought our parent company insists on using their MSP for everything network related; pretty much locking me out. I mean I don't even have access to the content filter or any of the switches, not even to look at the configs.

Based on my last review they want to see me "grow as a manager" which in my eyes is pretty bullshit since I've made it clear I want to do more on the network side. I enjoy project management it but that has been taken out of my hands as well since our parent company has everything done their way. I mean I had a full proposal for our new network ready to go and then it got taken out of my hands completely and with no warning. The irony of it is that most places "require" a minimum of 5 years experience and I can't get proper network experience since the Network Engineer is based in NY and we're a company in Maryland (yup, we have no local network support past me dealing with the physical side and no monitoring system) and they don't seem to keen on me learning from him.

And since I work in the TV industry everything is affecting production. All the time. And do I get on call pay or OT? gently caress no.

I think it's time for me to buckle down and get my CCNA. I know OS X pretty drat well but that puts me in a super niche position and I feel that the network side of things will allow me to branch out and find out what I really want to do. Also I find it super interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU