Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

I've never encountered this situation in my life and I'm not sure how to deal with. I have two job interviews that went and I made it to stage 2-3. The better job might not even have a stage 3 I'll know by Friday.

Where I think I hosed up is I told one of the interviewers I was interviewing for a job. Today I was really pressed about it. How well do you think you did? How close you do think you were? What's your gut feeling? I gave vague answers. Finally asked if I had to choose between the two jobs which one would it be? I said something like: "I really need and this one seems like a better chance so I give you my word I would not take the other job."

Of course I would choose the other job it's a VoIP technician vs Helpdesk.

I don't want this brought up again should I just tell the manager I was rejected from the other job? I think he would know I'm lying because I already gave my word I would stick with this. I want to tell him I'd feel better if my pay were at least equal. I went really low at first because I need a job. Should I push for a higher rate? I'm the worst negotiator in world.

I hate this crap. Interviews are hard enough but I do not do politics. If I didn't need a job so badly right now I'd drop the helpdesk one frankly. My IT job experience is low so I need a job for a good year at least.

Other thing the IT director for the VoIP company. Liked my presentation even gave me "homework" and said I'd see him again. I also got shown around the building However that was his first interview so I just don't know. If I could get that job I'd be set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

Misogynist posted:

They're not going to stop interviewing just because you said you like them unless they're total idiots. If they like you, they'll make you an offer and if you decline it, they'll move onto the second-best candidate on their list. You have no obligation to take a worse job that you haven't even verbally accepted an offer from, just because you want to come across like a really nice guy to their hiring manager.

I'd like to give full story for the whole event. I went to that first interview for the help desk position just thinking I was going to see another recruiter but it turned out the job was working for the for the staffing company itself. I made it to level to 2 then 3 coming up now, ugh these interview stages.

I bring up that point to ask a question: would the head recruiter that I'm dealing with receive commision like he would with any other client? I would think the obvious answer is no because he works directly for the company. I'm not sure however I've been told he could but I think someone here would have the best idea.

It would explain why he's being so pushy and doing what's called a hardsell. I normally brush this stuff off but I was forgetting I'm dealing with a recruiter.

DropsySufferer fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Oct 22, 2014

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

Who do I have to kill to get a permanent job in this industry? I haven't been hired for anything but contract work yet due to lack of experience but I can't get experience unless I'm hired. Would I have better luck finishing my B.S and then trying again? I have a bunch of certifications which may help me get interviews but that's it. Should I keep trying to get hired or finish the degree first? I'd would volunteer gladly but I don't see that kind of opportunity around me.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

I have a second interview for a NOC position coming up next week. The first interview was the best interview I've ever done in my life. I had a call back within two hours telling me they wanted to schedule a second interview next week. This time it will be with the bosses: the CTO, a VP, and maybe the CEO.

Does anyone have any tips for second interviews?

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

It's been a long road. Finally, finally I have my first non-contract salary IT job. I went to interview for a help desk role, but (and I'm very pleased about it this) I was offered an open IT field technician position instead. I'd a million times rather be at the site then doing remote helpdesk work. Today is the best day.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

I think I would probably put a sheet or something over the front of that so I wouldn't have to look at it. Problem solved...

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

Is there a time limit for how long you have to stay with a company and still look good to future employers? I've put six months into this project and it's probably ending soon. I want that on my resume but afterwards I really, really want to move forward in career and my current company doesn't care.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

I think I'm finally getting the chance to move from pointless IT fieldwork to engineering or at least the first steps.

The Engineering Lead at my company told me I'd be configuring a non-Cisco switch which is obviously a test to see if I'm capable.

I've been looking up HP and Aruba and it seems like the same thing just different commands. This appears to be a very simple task. Anything tricky I'm missing?

I was nervous talking with him though and know I didn't impress. But he said would talk to the head of the department so my schedule could be changed. People don't just say things like that if they aren't going to do it.

I hope I get that email from him or the head of the department soon though. Nervous like being excited to go on a big date.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

I have an job offer that is going to pay me almost double what I make now.

My current company wants to make a counter offer.
The current company is fine and I'd stay provided they match my new employment offer.

What can I really expect from a counter offer? It feels like it's for show. I really just want to throw the number I'll be making back at them and say match this this.

I'm being polite however but bottom line: this is my offer match it. I don't expect a counter offer will work that way.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

nullfunction posted:

It sounds like you don't hate your current position, but a counter is just a polite move to say "oh, don't leave us, we'll treat you better, promise!"

Thanks for the advice. I was actually going to give them the number I'd be making but you're right it just taints things.

I'm taking the high road out and on to bigger and better things.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

Sepist posted:

I've accepted a few counter offers. I would put my notice in but have them counter a number that was outrageous. They would meet me somewhere close to it and I would stay knowing that it was just salary talk leverage for the next role. The times I've done that, the next performance review usually came with a "we can't pay you anymore you're at the top" and then I would leave for real. In one instance they countered again but at that point they did too much damage.

I never feel bad about these tactics though, business is business and this is your livelihood. You have to put you and your family as the top priority.

That is very clever. Unfortunately I already signed the offer letter for my new position so I think it's probably too late for such a tactic. I will remember this for the future though.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

I've finally made my way away from basic low level IT jobs.

It's weird because I don't know what to do with the downtime. I'm so used to someone being at my back to be busy or just look busy. Now the unsaid rule is that as long as I deal with my responsibilities no one cares what else I'm doing. I could be posting here all day as long as the job gets done.

I think I have PTSD from past jobs or something it's going take me a while to get used to this...

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

It feels weird to be able to say: "I can't help with that right now. If you need support submit a ticket to help desk". At this point in my job I've already learned all that matters is making sure the sites I'm responsible for have no connection issues and keeping the executive board happy.

The windows 10 issue has been a problem at my organization as well. The person who is responsible for the imaging has been under huge pressure. I don't think he knows what is he doing but this isn't my area of expertise so I can only judge by how annoyed the boss has been at him.

DropsySufferer fucked around with this message at 01:29 on May 20, 2018

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

The Fool posted:

Managing Windows 10 is a hassle, but itís not hard*. What kind of problems are they having?

*non-enterprise versions need not apply

We have about 70 machines experiencing issues due to windows 10 updates. Either they are unable to log in or the PC is frozen in an endless update loop.Those PCs are outside of my scope of responsibility so I only know the general issues they are experiencing. We use Windows 10 enterprise.

My direct IT manager has been very upset at the desktop engineer who is supposed to be dealing with this.The CIO personally wants it dealt with now.

My background and knowledge is mostly networking. If I could fix or work on this problem I would but I have very little experience with imaging software. I think it would be beyond my capabilities to create a problem free windows 10 image.

Fortunately none of this is my responsibility.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

I had a situation today where one our clients escalated an ongoing issue. I manage entire areas.

Being proactive so the CTO doesn't catch us off guard. We can make a strong defensive case.

Still I feel like I hosed up. I should have just humored the client more and acted like I was on their side. I should have played that game. I didn't realize he had more powerful connections than I expected.

The question is should I tell my boss about it or shut my mouth. I feel like being open will be respected but I'd be putting myself in a position where I would take blame.

Yea for politics in IT

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

Today my issue escalated to the CTO. First time he's said anything to me. He had just a few words directly to me. "Fix the site." Not a good thing.

I need to resolve this ASAP. We will see what's possible. What I wish is that I could pull a win out of this instead of a draw.The connection issue to the site was before my time, it was planned poorly.

It was my choice to take the risk. If I end up on the chopping block for this so be it. I have my exit strategy prepared. Regardless going to be an interesting few days.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

I'll assume there must be a few experts here on microwave relays. My company has them in use in one of our sites. Due to due legal reasons ( a former employee fell off the roof). I'm not allowed to personally go up and deal with them.

Anyway we hired a contractor for about $400 an hour (not my choice). I was out with this asshat at the site and our entire network went down as soon as he left of course. He lied to me about the troubleshooting and I caught it fully I only wish I could have recorded him.

I know the fucker did it. I can't go out there out and prove it until it Monday. I am highly considering taking a ladder now and going out going out there. gently caress it, just to prove that he is defrauding us.

Would it be worth it? That's what I ask myself? should I just let it go to my superiors while I'm blamed? I want him to to be blamed. I feel like I need to protect myself. I'm unsure what to do at this point.

My implied orders are to wait until Monday and then head on site. I simply worry about my future if I'm not proactive. A win here would secure this position for me.

I'm unsure what I should do at this point. The simple solution is to let it go until Monday but chances are waiting that long is a loss for me.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

SeaborneClink posted:

I may appear to be shouting this down a well, but do everything in this post AND this as well.

I have an exit plan in place in case the sword falls directly on me. I've already contacted my last company and I'm welcome to come back.

Docjowles posted:

Yes, this is what you do. Do not get a loving ladder and climb up on the roof that a) you've been explicitly forbidden to ever be on and b) you know has caused serious injury or death to the last untrained dumbass that tried it.

Obviously this is a crappy situation and you are stressed out. But go hit the gym / get drunk / play video games or whatever you do to unwind. Don't make it worse for yourself.

I thank everyone here for being the voice of reason keeping me from considering doing something very stupid.

I am in fear of my job because I'm only a month and a half in. That's what's causing me to think less rationally then I should be. I have already sent out a full report detailing every action of the contractor to the VP, and other managers. I've done everything I possibly can now. Short of risking killing myself.

I'm no longer worrying about this and if I'm pressed much more I will resign the position. gently caress them for throwing me into something without enough knowledge.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

You just made that up right? Because their portions are colossal short of any place like Denny's. All of my other options around here are artisan, locally sourced yada yada options where I can get some sort of organic single pancake for $8. The split decision at IHOP is everything you'd want for only $8.50.

IHOP isn't the best tasting breakfast, but saying it's expensive or tiny portions is capital W wrong.

IHOP is a tad bit more expensive than Denny's (2 or 3 bucks). I went to Denny's a couple times last year and really don't like Denny's it's just no that is unless you're starving or something. IHOP is at least basic level quality and the pancakes are ok.

Breakfast aside, my boss has rightly pointed out that my reaction to stress is something that I should probably work on. It's not even for my current job I'm at now but for my long-term future and how far I'll be able to go in IT. My goal is engineering but yep I do need to learn to calm down.

Basically my reaction to the network going down at a site I'm on alone is to my brain mostly shuts off. I can usually hide that reaction but the bigger the problem. The more my ability to multitask and problem solve disappears.

I see two ways to address this. First is just more experience but that's also a costly method and not so viable in this instance. Second is to create some kind of "panic chart" that will give something to look at and steps to follow if crisis happens.

Engineers or anyone in charge of anything significant. What steps or methods do you use to handle stress?

DropsySufferer fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jun 9, 2018

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

Where do I escalate a ticket when there is no viable near term solution and I see no resolution in the next 3 months? Answer: Myself

I used to dream the one getting the ticket escalated to the top had it easy.

New career plan
ēget into management.
ēGet an office.
ēAlways keep office door shut.
ēImportant client complains to me about x problem.
ēEmail employee in networking to resolve issue.
ēWatch Netflix rest of day.

Management works exactly like this right?

AndyElusive posted:

Yay, I passed my 901 exam for CompTIA A+

Good job, you'll be past comptia and working on Cisco or Microsoft Certs in no time.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

Better things will come out of this. In the end they always do.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

Couldn't you actually really go inside the whale? Does that count? These are questions that probably shouldn't be answered.

My Bachelors degree is finally almost done finally by August or sooner.

Now I'm starting to possibly consider a masters degree and if it's even worth a thought for me and the field I'm in.

If I were in business an MBA would be an obvious next step. For IT though it seems like educational need stops at a Bachelors at most. After that certifications are what's important. Would a masters be worth a thought?

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

Gotta respect anyone who can be open with their problems and ask for help. I'd never do that online.

I hate corporate politics and any of that BS I just try to keep my head down and avoid it.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

I took a contact 10 month contact vs permanent position elsewhere because I now make double what I did before. The role has been good even if I complain about stress sometimes.

I hate contacts though. A permanent team member quit they are working on filling that spot. It Kills me a little because I want it but can't offer myself.

How does it work to get out of a contact? I know if I broke it now I believe the company would be sued if I were hired directly?

What my plan has been is to finish this contract then either get offered direct hire or move on elsewhere.

I guess I'm asking is there a way to end a contact immediately and get the directly hired without someone getting sued?

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

YOLOsubmarine posted:

What grounds would they have for suing either you or the company? Also, a contracting company would never piss off a prospective client by suing them for hiring someone. Thatís a good way to ensure that no company ever wants to work with you.

Most contracts will be serviced with an understanding that the company can convert the contractor to a permanent employee if theyíd like that.

It's been a rumor I've heard for years I just assumed it was true.

The way my current company has worked is if contractors are hired it won't be at least for six months or so. It begs the question anyway what would do I do if I were I permanent? The only higher position then me is the system admin and he would have to leave for get his spot.

No what I want is position where can work alone more often and finally work with the client less. If stick with my engineer plan, I'll get to the point where I still need to deal with clients but much fewer.

If I wasn't weak at math I would have been a programmer.

DropsySufferer fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jun 29, 2018

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

Do you get work alone in a cubicle or office and not have to constantly worry about the next client calling or coming in with the next the problem? I don't dislike people but it drains me a lot putting up an act all day. I do wish I could just do work and not to have bother with the act. I'd still talk to my coworkers and not be a hermit or something like that but I'm an introvert and this is a world of extroverts.

Now I just go home exhausted from the daily social interaction. If it's business purely one time dealings like helpdesk I don't care it doesn't bother me. It's all fake and easy. It's harder when you deal face to face and have to establish relationships with clients.

Right now I need make sure this project manager is happy with us. That is what's draining that type of thing. I don't like working with VIPs.

My last job before this one. I went all over different site a day I didn't get to the know the people or care. I could say no and it was easy. This time the relationships matter immensely.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

My boss scheduled a "1 on 1 meeting" for this Thursday. I'm assuming he wants to talk about the plans for setting up a site which is a job I'm in the middle. A part of me is hoping he'll just fire me so I can be free of all the stress.

I love the helpdesk's guy's comment: "dropsy only did 3 tickets today. he doesn't do any work"

I am in over my head right now . Goddammit loving PMs answer your loving phones. we must coordinate or this will be a disaster I will be blamed for. I'm already picturing my future working through the weekend barely getting it done.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

What is a "one on one" exactly? Just a meeting between manager and employee to talk about issues?

I've been there three months despite my perceived weaker social ability I get things done and I am reliable. So I'd be surprised if I was let go.

The real problem with this job is my issue with social anxiety. Helpdesk, desktop support are one thing. I can deal with that. This role has been a real stretch for me. I have to deal with a bit of project management and I have to deal with so many different people and not in the usual tech support role I'm accustomed to and I have a mental script for. I'm not used to this much responsibility either.

What I've learned from this role is that this type of position is not for me and would never be something I'd excel at. I'm holding this position until I finish two more classes and have my Bachelor's degree done. Then back to the job market for a less client facing role. Wish I could hold it for a whole year just to put on the resume but it's been real tough.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

Judge Schnoopy posted:

"This is what I'm working on. This is the progress I've made on x and Y since last week."

"Great. Y is falling behind and we've had a push from higher up on the results, can you prioritize that ahead of x for this next week?"

And then whatever other issues should be brought to light but maybe weren't important enough to go knock on your bosses door.

Thatís very useful thank you for letting me know so I wonít walk into this blindsided. I already have a chance to prepare counter arguments.

DropsySufferer fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Jul 12, 2018

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

If this is your reaction to a manager scheduling a one-on-one with you, it's definitely time to go. They should (generally) not be adversarial.

I had my one-on-one today... he basically told me I have 30 days to improve, and that the new guy they just hired (and missed his second day of work ) is getting my desk at the end of the month and I'll be moved out to a cubicle somewhere...

Basically I knew going in this job was a gamble. The job was dealing with clients face to face and managing 8 different sites and the networks there. I tried I really did. But honestly it's a contact position no one has lasted longer then 6 months in it. I will be the 4th person now I think?

I won't get into the people too much but I wasn't trained properly and to this day have not been given the documentation I should have.The person who I was supposed to be taking over for guards everything. You have practically beg the guy to get information sometimes. I don't know why these controlling types gravitate towards IT.

I think if I didn't have as much social anxiety I could maybe do it. Just flat out go around around Richard and introduce myself and socialize with the bosses but it's just too hard and not me. I'm not good at this and I can make myself be something I'm not.

My manager already told me he expects me to take the full lead within 30 days.

The plan now. I have mostly decided to give notice tomorrow. I will do it face to face out of respect for hiring me I believe that much is deserved. I'll see if they don't want me out the door on the spot or if he decides to keep me for a week. There's a week notice in the contact.

Honestly I've been ready to leave this job. I have 3 months of savings. I'll use the time to finish the last two classes of my degree quickly and I won't have to play B.S games with the job search as if I was working. I can just go all out with it. This time I will I'm going for a role I know I'll be successful in.

I could also go back to my old job if I really need to as well so my prospects are good.

Just curious anyone think I should stick this out?

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

mllaneza posted:

Always, always, always make them fire you so you can collect unemployment. You'll also get a month's pay when you know you have to slash expenses to the bone, that'll pad your savings some.

gently caress. That's the right answer there and I hate it.

What's the path to getting fired correctly? I was reading that getting fired for misconduct will disqualify you from unemployment. Now my plan has changed to that I should get another job ASAP.I guess I'm going to be having doctor and dental visits quite often this month.

I can get back to my old job no problem. I could just take that route. I feel bad though because it's just a short term fix. I'm still going to be looking for another job because I'm finishing my degree.Going to my old job might be the wise choice to get out of that toxic environment though.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

Iím going to bite the bullet and talk to my manager about going back to my old job.

At least it was safe and I was well liked. I donít know what verbal deal Iíll have to give about not leaving for however long if I did go back.

These stories Iím hearing about being unemployed are a little scary. Whatever the case avoiding being unemployed is the priority now. I need to get another job within 30 days.

I do appreciate hearing the reality of the situation.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

^^^Great story there. It's *always the obvious things that are missed*

Decided to go back to my old job. The stories of unemployment are scaring me here, and the plan of being unemployed and looking for job a until I ran out of savings would be a gamble. I've gambled enough. I did that leaving my old job for that risky position.

I was smart with my last job and did not burn bridges and they are ok with me coming back, so the plan is in the next two weeks. I said I'd at least stay another year if did return but no promises were made yet

For the current job, I'm just going to go through the motions and do just enough work so I'll keep getting paid and not fired immediately. It was only a contact. My old job was FTE which I'm very glad to go back to. I thought I was making more money with the current contact job but every half-day and every holiday was adding up. Life without PTO and sick days is bad as well.

I think I made the right choice. I'm 100 percent getting fired in the next 30 days from my current job. Going back to the old job may be a stepbackwards but it pays the bills and they like me and want me there at least so it's safe. Also for resume purposes I never left my old job so it will just look continuous.

There is a new option I can now theoretically put into play: resign my current job Monday morning and start searching like hell for a new position within the next two weeks before I'm rehired to my old job. It's unethical though because I already told the manager there I'd return. Nonetheless I'm just putting it out there.

DropsySufferer fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jul 14, 2018

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

Are there videos or something similar for a crash course on active directory? I know the basics of adding, removing users and resetting passwords. I've never been in a position to do much more with it at least. I don't need to learn every detail like for a certification I just want to sound like I know what I'm talking about for an interview.

This going be at a tier 2 level. I just want to look and sound informed. At least look like I know what I'm taking for basic active directory using the technical terminology.

DropsySufferer fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Aug 24, 2018

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

Vulture Culture posted:

Udemy is having another $9.99 sale right now

https://www.udemy.com/topic/active-directory/

This looks like exactly what I need. I'm unsure what version of windows server is going to be used at the company I'm interviewing for but I'll assume 2012 like my last company. Should I take the 2016 course or the 2012 one? Is there much difference between windows server 2012 and 2016?

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

I'm having a hard time figuring out what I want to do with my job situation. What makes this complicated is I will have my bachelor's degree by the end of the month.I'm not working right now which puts me under financial pressure though I do have a savings.

A manger from a company I used to worked for contacted me about a job. It's desktop support tier 1/2 position at for an MSP the pay is $21/hr which is not that great for the state I live in and I suspect for the position. I would take this job right away though and just use it until I found something better. The problem is I'm friends with a friend of that manager and I wouldn't just do that to them. Which means I'd be stuck with this job for six months at least I'd want to put a "token effort" in at least.

I'm already interviewing elsewhere and the pay range I'm in is around 25 - 30. With a degree my possibles are expanded.

My friends and family think I should keep looking for better jobs and not take the position. It's hard though when I'm under financial pressure. I could take a loan from family but I really don't want to do that. I'm conflicted about how to proceed on this.

I wish that manager never contacted me. I have three months of savings so I can probably find another job before it runs out. Nothing is 100 percent though. I hate to ask my family for a loan "just in case". I wish I had a third option.

Tell me if I'm wrong? My gut tells me the best choice is to forget the job I'm being offered job and keep looking for something that is at my level of value and skill and that I actually want with a future.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

wrong thread!

DropsySufferer fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Oct 4, 2018

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

I went for a helpdesk tier 2 interview today which I got through a friend of a friend and the person in charge basically told me not to take the job. I guess my resume was too advanced for the position. I have ambitions to get to a network engineer position and they aren't allowed to touch any of that ever not even windows server nothing. I guess a company contracts the company I interviewed for helpdesk but keeps the more advanced positions in house.

I've done helpdesk before it's tedious or very busy.

The real problem with this job is that there is no chance for advancement it will always be the same thing. I'm willing to work my way up but no chance of that for this job.

I am tempted to just take this for 3 - 6 months so I'll have a job while I apply for other jobs. Not having a job is making me feel like a bad person. That's what I'm trying to decide this weekend. This seems like the best idea, just take the job to get financial pressure off myself and then look for other jobs after the first month.

The reason I'm having to think about it is because I have friends involved with the company that handles this and one who referred me is an acquaintance of that and I feel it would be a jerk move to leave after 3 months.

On the otherhand I have enough money to job hunt until early next year if I wanted. I've been on one interview outside of this. Maybe I need to get over my fear of not being good enough and keep trying and set a goal of 10 interviews or something like that. I don't expect a dream job just a company that will allow me to learn and advance.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

guppy posted:

I agree that being unemployed doesn't make you a bad person, but at some point I do think a sufficiently long stretch of unemployment can affect your hireability.

Itís been about a month and a half for me. My problem in the beginning was that I was in denial I think and wasnít being aggressive enough about finding a new job.

I would take a helpdesk tier two job right away as long there were opportunities elsewhere in the company. Iím not someone who is arrogant and expects everything easy.

But yeah Iím going to turn that deadend job down and put in real effort to find something more reasonable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

This is pretty interesting to read. Iíve also almost always felt inadequate when it comes work and some other things. It does explain some of the personalities working IT jobs.

Itís a little depressing too. Sometime in my career I like to imagine Iíll finally reach that magical promised land and finally be happy but who am I kidding.