Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Sprechensiesexy posted:

The toilets I used in Japan all had a music button. Never tried it though but I expect crappy music to drown out a furious butt trumpet solo.

One at my workplace comes on automatically and sounds like birds and a creek. I always turn it off :marc:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

It's Management. They could whip those three into shape if they weren't myopic/apathetic/complicit.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

stubblyhead posted:

He's that guy off in whose conference call they were whacking.

:golfclap:

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Motion to pronounce DHCP "dickchop"

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

I've heard "whack whack" for \\ . I guess in that naming scheme, / would just be "slash"?

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

too spoopy :nsavince:

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

SEKCobra posted:

I actually wrote someone an e-mail to tell them that no one is getting their smilies, they still do it to this day and even put in some J with size 20+

I'm pretty sure J just means smiley to some people now.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

If you don't use vi(m) and love it and pollute any server you have to log into with your .vimrc and .vim/ directories, you have no business as a *NIX admin.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

SEKCobra posted:

It's YYYY-MM-DD how can you even make this mistake?
Also, it's objectively the best because it's sortable and the international standard.

Yay ISO 8601!

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Vargatron posted:

Do you work in an "At-will" state or province?

Plaudits for using the correct term for this and not that other anti-labor policy (right-to-work). It seems like every time this stuff comes up it gets conflated.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

H110Hawk posted:

This joke is way better than whatever awful YouTube link I am not clicking on could be.

You did not just talk poo poo about Canadian Bacon. :ssj:

Nah, I don't really care. Just thought it would be funny to keep the fight derail going

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

RFC2324 posted:

Well, poo poo. I know in my puppet systems I have my systems refresh config from the central repo on a regular basis. You want to change a config, its gonna revert pretty quick, and if you need to tinker, you need to shut down the puppet agent, which will alert that something funny is going on.

People disabling puppet "temporarily" to prevent some locally set tweaks from being overwritten is the bane of my existence. Put it in puppet, you fucks.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

RFC2324 posted:

add a cron job to re-enable puppet every 30 minutes?

Don't tempt me. I could even do it remotely so that can't disable puppet and the cron. I think that keeping track of who's doing it and where and naming and shaming might be more effective with my team, though.

I think I have project for the week.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

There's like one other guy in the world with my firstname lastname. I beat him to it on gmail and for my facebook url. He got the twitter. I think we all know who's winning.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Methanar posted:

...Western.. china?

Planes from east Asia fly east (and north) to get to Vancouver.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

punkbob got a name change, that's what.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

The IT gang tag gif expired :smith:. What was it?

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

#FTGE or #FullyAutomatedLuxuryGaySpaceCommunism

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Ranter posted:

We ask our technician interviewees to draw a bicycle with hashtags.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Proteus Jones posted:

:stare:

I... just... I...

Let me guess, this same "security" team sends "vulnerability findings" to depts that are simply Qualys (or worse, Nessus) reports devoid of context or any understanding of the environment.

My hatred for our infosec dept's nessus reports led me to write my own webapp for actually correlating between the servers/packages/security advisories instead of just vomiting up a context-free list of scary VULNERABILITIES. I still rely on parsing crap they deliver to us from Nessus, but someday I'm going to get my own source for the advisories and get them all fired. :devil:

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

YOLOsubmarine posted:

One good test for AI would be asking it if there is anything that is improved by blockchain. If it says yes then burn it to the ground and start over.

but what if making AI preoccupied with blockchain is the only way to keep it too bogged down and distracted to kill us all?

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Methanar posted:

yaml is poo poo because it didn't learn the lesson from python that whitespace sensitivity is stupid.

lol, look at this poo poo rear end opinion

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

tortilla_chip posted:

How do you know yaml got truncated?

Hash sums? Relying on syntax to ensure data integrity seems like a really bad idea for any format. Main point: white space sensitivity is fine.

some creative goon in a few minutes posted:

lol, look at this poo poo rear end opinion
:goonsay:

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Yeah, and you can make valid JSON that isn't actually what you wanted as well. I remember having to spend half a day trying to unfuck some json for hiera that a coworker messed up. It would have been a pain in the rear end in any serialized format.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Docjowles posted:

It's also worth noting that, intentionally or not, homework problems screen out a lot of applicants for totally irrelevant reasons. Taking care of kids or a sick family member, or working two low paying jobs but hoping to advance etc etc? None of that has any bearing on your tech abilities, but sure makes it harder to scrape together 4 hours of focused work in the evening.

Why employers might prefer people with tons of free time to spend on tasks very similar to their eventual jobs is left as an exercise to the reader.

:argh:

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

bull3964 posted:

My original reg date was last century (was reset in the great forum crash).

So, yeah, over half my life and i'm loving 40 now.

your current reg date (and mine) is from the last century
:goonsay:

this is my second account, too

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

PBS posted:

Have you heard the gospel of pgrep?

and her sister, pkill

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

got a chuckle out of this email this morning

tokyo's IT recruiter numbers gonna be decimated by this

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

is earthlink still owned by scientologists?

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

F

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

anything that allows workers to claw back some of the value they generate is good

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

kensei posted:

Those are fair replies. Lol

i think it's an alright question. actual enthusiasm for tech is probably a plus, but the ability to fake it seems p necessary for lasting in IT.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

modal text editing (vi(m)) is just so intuitive to me now I cannot use anything else. pico/nano/whatever just confuses me

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

CLAM DOWN posted:

Where the gently caress did I say that?

pivot to video you coward

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

this is my preferred ipv8 proposal https://en.everybodywiki.com/IPv8

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

The Iron Rose posted:

next year will be the first year I actually owe income tax to the US above the foreign earned income exclusion and it’s already an incredibly expensive nightmare.
18k down the drain already for tax prep in advance with more to come :negative:

gently caress, gotta fast-track naturalization and ditching citizenship before i get to that point

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Agrikk posted:

But wait. I thought RAID was backups.

I don’t understand

RAID UNBREAKABLE
NO BACKUPS NEEDED

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

json is better than yaml because i'm terrible at figuring out what are arrays and what are objects in yaml.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

SlowBloke posted:

https://9to5mac.com/2022/12/01/lastpass-security-breach/

Data loss confirmed so I would suggest jumping to another provider...

i think Inner Light is saying they trust that the data to be in an encrypted state and difficult to crack even if exfiltrated, so i don't think this affects that calculus.

personally, i switched to a password manager where i handle the vault on my own a long while back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

gotta tell it it's a game, and to treat the "character" as a real person

edit bonus:

probably need to go a few layers deeper to fully incept it.