Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Revol posted:

You'd think shotgunning was just done by the job seekers, but it goes the other way around too. I never turned off any of my job search or resume sites (good thing, huh?), so I've still been getting emails and calls. A few days ago I got an email about an IT onboarding job, because my previous job was "onboarding". Sounds great! Until I get to the bottom of their description, and they're saying that years of experience with staffing software is a requirement. If you had even glanced at my resume or profile, you'd know that isn't me. Hell, having the key word "onboarding" means I'm getting hit up about jobs like banking, nothing to do with my true experience.

I get emails for insurance agent and sales positions, saying how it would be a good fit. There is literally nothing about either of those in my profile. I think they just blast those to anyone who has a profile on Indeed or Monster or whatever.
I also keep getting calls and emails for 6 month (or less) contract jobs from Indian folks, but that's to be expected. I'm desktop support, AKA PC Janitor, with Mac experience. I like the job, but outsourcing has made earning potential in that role a bit limited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Got to listen to an on-site tech talking to external support in a conference call about how they couldn't figure out the two screws holding a card in to a network shelf after turning them 90 degrees and they seemed to stop. We got a full twenty-five minutes of thoroughly entertaining back-and-forth between them out of this :allears:. The tech thought he could use a screwdriver to wiggle it out, maybe?... Maybe there are support screws in the back holding it in??... Maybe the completely unrelated screws?... He could try using a hammer... (as an idle thought, but we could clearly hear the support guy trying to keep his calm over that one :munch:).

We knew full-well what the very simple solution was from the get-go, but you just can't let good entertainment pass by.

Both screws had to be turned at the same time so the card would slide out easily.

We had to show mercy and tell them in the end, because it was clear they weren't going to figure it out on their own. Oh look, it worked perfectly, how about that...

This is the kind of thing where I'm glad I'm a mechanically inclined guy as well. Kind of handy helping out the network and server teams with racking stuff.

A Pinball Wizard posted:

If I can e/n for a bit:

I really can't decide if I should :yotj: or not this year. I work for a medium sized company. I like what I do and while there's things about this place that annoy me, it's nothing so bad that I'd want to leave. I could easily see myself working here for years.

The thing is, I'm not making any money. I probably would be fine if I was still in the suburbs but I moved into the city this year. I have enough to pay all my bills on time, but not enough to really squirrel money away, which is terrifying because I basically don't have a support network right now.

I'm pretty sure I could easily pull down $10-15 k more than I'm making now, but I'm worried that I'll end up somewhere I really hate in the process and end up the next larches or Dick Trauma. I'm also worried the bottom will fall out of the economy and I'll be last hired, first fired.

We're also planning an ambitious product release this year at my current job, and even if everything goes off without a hitch -which it wont- it's going to be a poo poo's how because all our users are little old ladies in Nebraska who just know they click the blue one to get their email, and any change will be hugely disruptive. Part of me wants to stay and see the fireworks, but another wants to GTFO before this pile of poo poo lands right on my desk.

Should I stay or should I go?

I'm with you, buddy. After 17 years at one place (though three employers, thanks to outsourcing), I got let go last year. I'm now a contractor at a place I like, but after 6 months, all they did was re-up my contract for another 6 months. I don't want to push it, because I actually like the place, people, and job - it's fairly low-stress - but, while the hourly rate is adequate, I don't get holiday pay (which killed me for Thanksgiving and Christmas - they took off two days each, then another on New Years) or vacation, and the medical at the contracting company I actually work for is double what I used to have, and what the host company has. All together, that lowers my overall yearly to less than I was making 2 years ago, which is not ideal. I'm trying to scale my lifestyle down, but it's not like anything is getting cheaper. I really hate that it has to come down to money.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I was stunned to discover that each user is an admin on their own machine (thankfully, just their machine) when I started working at the company I'm currently at. Previous company only allowed that in certain circumstances, and eventually only by an AD group membership approved by Security. And they're all laptops.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Sefal posted:

This was me last year when i started at the company i'm currently at.
even though this bitcoin mining stuff happened, my boss was still hesitant to remove local admin rights.
"too much work, users will come to bug you for every little install" I managed to convince him with explaining how ransomware would have hosed us up if that was the case.

edit: He still hasn't taken my advice of using a non admin account for daily use and a separate domain admin account.

We at least have separate accounts for domain admin.
Best part is I work at an AV/Security company. I'm just desktop support, and a contractor to boot, so I can't really push for a change. It just startled the hack out of me.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Eliminate 'every little install', problem solved. Why are so many computers getting snowflake software outside of the standard deployment?

We don't, really, so I'm not sure of the reasoning here. I get it for the teams testing releases and such, but Sales guys don't really need to be mucking around with installs. Half the time they ask us to do it anyway.

edit: talking with one of engineers about Meltdown/Spectre, and he brought up the point that our antivirus product is likely to be blamed for slowdowns caused by the patches for years to come, because it's *always* AV overhead from sniffing your file transfers that's the problem. He's probably not wrong.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jan 4, 2018

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Inspector_666 posted:

I just messaged our security people about the AV because I know this is gonna be a "WHOA ALL OF THIS STUFF NEEDS TO BE PATCHED RIGHT NOW!" issue on Monday.

I work at a company that produces enterprise AV. I kind of want to go downstairs and listen to the Customer Support Engineers calls now.
I also can't wait to see what we do in our own house.

edit: according to our homepage, our stuff has been tested and works, but we'll be a bit more getting out patches that enable the ALLOW REGKEY. In the meantime, there are ways to enable the key manually via AD/GPO, etc.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jan 4, 2018

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

The Microsoft KB addressing Meltdown is loving with our NAC lmao

e: :laffo: gently caress everything https://kb.pulsesecure.net/articles/Pulse_Secure_Article/KB43600

Oh, goody, we use PulseSecure as well.
Neat how the article for the MS KB doesn't actually mention Meltdown or Spectre, just "Security fixes" at the bottom of a list of other unrelated minor stuff.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I'm sure everyone has had a manager that talks out of both sides of their mouth before, right?
Well mine does, and today I caught him in a doozy:

We're renovating the building and need to move to a new location temporarily.
The new location also needs to be renovated before we can move in. Walls need to be ripped out and network infrastructure needs to be installed.

Monday, a team is going to the new building to rip out walls. I volunteered some of my personal time (outside of work hours) to help them do some demolition. I also volunteered to run the network infrastructure in the new space because I can probably get it done in about a weekend.

Manager tells me that I am not to run cabling in the new space. We must hire our contractor for that. (It'll probably get subcontracted back down to me anyway because I also work for our contractor, but whatever).
Then he tells me that instead of spending my personal time to help demo the new space, I should instead volunteer my personal time to work on IT projects instead.

...like running cable in the new location?
"Yes, exactly."
So do you want me to run cable in the new location?
"No, we need to hire our contractor for that."
So, you just want me to come into the office early then?
"No you can't come in early just because you want to"
So, then you don't mind if I go volunteer my personal time to sledgehammer some walls? Actually... I don't care if you mind. I'm volunteering my personal time to wreck some poo poo.
"Okay, but I think it would be better if you volunteered to work on some IT projects instead."

:thunk:

Never volunteer for anything work related (unless it's for wrecking poo poo. That's OK in my book.)
I mean, when was the last time the company volunteered some of their personal money to you?
Perhaps I'm cynical.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Ranter posted:

I've been a W2 sub contractor and because the company I was technically an employee of had lovely benefits vs. the company I was placed at for 12 months on a project, I made more than the employees per hour. But I didn't have 401k matching, 3 weeks paid vacation, if the office shut down and no one was working then I didn't get paid etc.

Where I am at now we use Tek Systems for desktop techs (and are about to switch to a better, smaller provider that gives their employees ((our techs)) 401k matching and paid vacation for the same $) and because we found the techs ourselves then referred them to tek systems, we dictated exactly how much a. the tech gets paid and b. how much we pay tek total (so we know exactly how much they're skimming for taking on the liability of a W2 employee).

This is me, and, coincidentally, I work for Tek, subbed to another company, except I'm pretty sure I don't get paid more than the direct-hire desktop guy. All the rest of it, though, as far as benefits, is spot-on. Since my host company takes two days each at Thanksgiving, Christmas, ant the Fourth Of July, that sucks. Those are tough weeks, especially since my medical is twice what it was at the outsourcer I used to work for, and twice what my direct-hire coworker pays. Just the holidays and medical costs knock something like $5K off what would be a pretty good yearly. On the flipside, the job is fairly low-stress, at least compared with working for an Indian outsourcer at a major luxury retailer, where I had been direct for 10 years, then outsourced for another 7. I like the people here, and the job, if I could just get them to hire me permanent. Coming up on 9 months, now. There will definitely be a discussion at 1 year if not sooner.

Thanks Ants posted:

An application was playing up so 'Everyone' was added to 'Domain Administrators' and it fixed it.

Oh, you've worked at my previous company?
(They weren't quite that bad.)

Sefal posted:

I like my boss. As a person, he's ok. It's just that I've been fighting him for over a year on changing our security policies. Local admin being the biggest one. It really is a blessing that it was just miners.
I hope I can finally get it through his head. That whether or not he's dealing with adults or children, an unsuspecting user with no malice in mind can get his pc crypto infected and have it spread easily with the local admin stuff.

My current company is doing this. My mind was blown when I discovered that every user was local admin on their own machine. At a company that makes AV and Security software. We didn't even do that at the aforementioned luxury retailer. It went through Security if a user wanted local admin, and they usually only got it for a set period.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Captain Ironblood posted:

My current company that I'm trying to get away from in the next few months is an MSP and the orders on high are to give everyone local admin, firewall disabled. I didn't know how bad this was when I was a little baby Tier 1 tech a few years ago but this is part of why I die a little inside every day now.

gently caress it. Sit back and watch the chaos. Implement that the only fix for anything is re-imaging the machine.

GreenNight posted:

We don't even get CoL increases. Each increase is "be happy you have a job and are getting anything".

QFT. At least at my previous job or two.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

ChubbyThePhat posted:

One can always hope that by 60 I am no longer a sysadmin and am instead spending all my days yelling at clouds.

Isn't that what sysadmins now do, yell at The Cloud? (pity I don't have the "my butt" substitution for "the cloud" installed here at work.)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

loving awesome. Someone is saturating our internet connection, and our network monitoring was set up incorrectly to figure out what, who, and where. We’re still getting intermittent outages. I’m phone posting now because I can’t reach SA from my PC. And this started yesterday. Whee! Glad it’s not my problem. Well, I mean, it’s a problem *for* me, but I don’t have to fix it.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Collateral Damage posted:

Check your edge router or firewall to find the adress that's the source or destination of the traffic.
Look up the ARP entry for the adress.
Find the switchport for that hardware adress in your switches and disable it. No need to take anything else offline.

Yeah, I've got no access to any of that poo poo. I sit a cube over from the guy who does, and I'm letting him handle it, while being simultaneously amused and annoyed.
Not only am I just a desktop guy, I'm a contractor with no authority, so... I'm struggling to keep my mouth shut.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

The guy is 40, nobody wants to still be working desktop at 40.

I’m 48, lol. And, yeah. Oh well.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

jaegerx posted:

Being 50 and doing tier 1 support sounds better than being a wallmart greater.

This is a fair point. I’m not really complaining.
Also, our internet issues now appear to be ISP related, but still no resolution. Or email to tell the users what’s going on, so guess who gets to keep fielding the same questions and listening to complaints about how they can’t work? Yep, it would be the FNG contractor, which is me.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

The Fool posted:

Yeah, some people only care about their career enough that they can take home a pay check and go fishing on Saturday.

Um. Well, I care a *little* more about it than that, but not fishing. My cars and projects related, maybe.
I want to do a good job, and advance if I can, but I don’t focus well. I’m a jack of all trades, which can be useful, but it crap for paychecks. I really sort of just fell into IT back in the ‘90s, because I liked computers and stuff. Amazingly, I still do, but I’m not nearly as high tech at home as you might expect an IT guy to be. Cobbler’s shoes and all that.
I do welcome something that would get me away from end users a bit, though, because people are idiots, you see. Not just users, of course, but them especially.
I may not be the perfect fit for a customer service or customer facing job (yet, here I am, for the last 25 years, more or less...)

I may just be grumpy old guy today.

Edit: I know the comment wasn’t targeted at me. It just hit close by chance.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I’m all kinds of trailing edge. That, and IoT can just gently caress right off. I have a Nest, because it was free with my electric service, but I very rarely look at its website, and I definitely don’t need my refrigerator surfing the net.
I keep thinking about a connected garage door opener or interface, though, just so I can check and close the door remotely. More remotely than, you know, the remote.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Matt Zerella posted:

I have hue, logitech hub, and a few star switches and its super nice to yell goodnight at alexa and all my poo poo shuts off and the white noise/humidifier turn on.

It took about an hour or two to get everything set up.

Oop, forgot about my Logitech hub, I love that thing, because gently caress multidevice IR remotes. Logitech's IR remotes are great and all, but standing there point the thing at the equipment while waiting for it all to turn on blows goats. My setup is simpler than it used to be, but having one-button activities is the bomb. I don't have the Alexa stuff for it, but just the included basic remote, and the smartphone app are easy. I just use it for AV stuff.
I also have a Ubiquiti AP-lite, because I got tired of the garbage that U-verse saddled me with. Not on U-verse any more, and having the Ubiquiti made changing over painless for WiFi devices, since it didn't change.
I have an old Intel Mac Mini connected to a drive array as a file server. Does that make me 7334? I'm running Universal Media Server on it to feed DLNA media to my XBone... Eventually I want to play with Plex, but, meh.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Matt Zerella posted:

Yeah I have an unraid NAS that been hands off since I got my dockers all working correctly. And 5 friends leeching my Linux iso collection off plex.

Took about 6 hours total to get working right but goddamn it's worth it.

Well, now, unRAID looks interesting. Thanks!
unRAID should run on my Mac Mini. If not I've got a dual Xeon older HP XW5000 with plenty of drive bays. The only thing that really sucks is that I'll have to move my data and reformat my LaCie drive array, because I formatted for Mac rather than something universal. Wish Apple would get over themselves and let Macs write to NTFS without third-party garbage.

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Fuckin' Mondays. They're reglazing the windows in the normal room I'm in with my co-workers. So they scattered us to the four winds, and I ended up in a cubicle in the testing centre. It's quieter than I thought it would be, since I'm by the student lockers, but fffffffffff.... I've already had a user just walk up and start telling me their problem instead of calling or emailing. Computer poo poo don't need in-person, it needs distance, so I can maybe actively troubleshoot!

Welcome to my life.
At my previous job, we had drive-bys from users even though we were in a key-card accessed room. NOBODY wants to talk to the help desk.
Current job I'm in a cube out in the open. They're wanting to remodel the floor an put in low-wall cubicles, so we don't even have *that* facade of privacy or individuality. I have no idea where management gets the idea that any of us want to look at everyone else, and vice versa, while trying to get poo poo done, in an environment that suddenly a lot louder because some dipshit removed all the sound baffling walls. Do they ever visit a call center and notice how loud it is? Or even call one and get annoyed by hearing 3 other conversations while on the call?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Dick Trauma posted:

In the absence of raises I supplement my income with points in my Amazon account :airquote:surplus:airquote: and :airquote:e-waste:airquote: equipment and hardware

Internet Explorer posted:

My place finally changed the dress code so I don't have to wear a loving tie everyday and dry clean my poo poo and oh god it's the only thing that kept me for rage-quitting recently.

Ask me about having to wear a dress shirt and tie, slacks, and dress shoes, while still having to crawl under rear end in a top hat's desks to plug in goddamned network cables and poo poo, and schlep around PCs. No, I'm not bitter, why?
Thank god they relaxed that policy years before I left, and I moved to another office that didn't dress that way in the first place.
Current gig is blue jeans and t-shirts, and I'm so shell-shocked I can't bring myself to do it. Still wear polos and short-sleeve button-downs. Am wearing blue jeans, though..

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

dogstile posted:

Add me to the list of people that are probably clever enough to get by but certainly not clever enough to post in this thread regularly. You guys teach me a lot of poo poo via your normal discussion (and you even got me out of my first well) so i'm super happy you guys are, well, you guys.

Same.

Vargatron posted:

Windows Surface tablets are a bitch to work on. I'm old and new things scare me.

AHHHHHHHHHHH

Nah, just throw a Bluetooth keyboard on that bitch and pretend it's a laptop (because it is.)

George H.W. oval office posted:

Recruiter called this morning and said they will not be moving forward with me on two applications due to not providing salary history. Get fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked.

Proper response.
I mean literally email that back to them.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Salary History:
2014: a billion dollars an hour
2017: 3 dollars a picosecond
2018: US GDP

Or that. One made-up number is as good as another, right?

They required verification lol

Like, they wanted you to provide paystubs or tax records or something?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

LochNessMonster posted:

So after not getting a raise I now get to fill in a personal development plan (mind you, not an improvement plan).

I’m tempted to anwser with:

Employee feels underwhelmed by company commitment. Despite achieving set goals and extremely good customer review company reaction was lackluster. Employee feels great results should be rewarded.

Goals for 2018 are:

- find new job with a company that apreciates me.
- sign contract
- give notice

And then turn it in by giving notice.

And to boot, I'm going to guess this survey isn't anonymous either. One of my previous companies pulled a "manager/company review" and made it so you had to log into a portal to do it. I actually put a comment in the comments section to the effect of "do you really think you're going to get honest answers to these questions about management?" This was an Indian outsourcing company, with all the top-down hierarchy that implies. To their credit, they responded that only HR would have access to actual identities, not that I believed it would make a difference.

MF_James posted:

Haha I would have told them to get fukt (as it seems you did) no one is allowed to see anything that confirms my salary ever.

First computer was a 386 running DOS, I forget which version, the guy my parents bought it from had installed a "GUI" on it, it had like 10 options, if you didn't want those you hit esc and got a DOS prompt.

Next computer was some, packard bell maybe, computer with windows 3.1, crazy times.

Also, we somehow had porn on the 3.1 machine, I recall finding a picture at some point, my brother might have used a scanner to get it on there though, lord that scanner was interseting, it basically looked like a huge mouse that you dragged over whatever you wanted scanned.

You guys are making me feel old. My first computer was a Sinclair ZX80 with 1K RAM. Hooked up to the TV and had a membrane keyboard. It ran Basic from cassette tapes. I still have it, actually. No ide if it still works. One after that was a Texas Instruments 99 4/A. Cassettes *and* cartridges. Radio Shack TRaSh-80s at school. Then dad finally got a Xerox 8086 (faster than an IBM PC, which was just and 8088) with ah *optical* mouse and a *hard drive*, neither of which I had seen before. Still DOS, but had some sort of GUI file manager. High school had Apple IIs. Then I discovered Macs and Windows 3.1 came out when I was working at Rockwell international as an intern, and at a school district. That would have been in the 386 era. System 7 had just come out for Macs.
I also played the Sears version of Atari's Pong II, just to get in my retro gaming cred.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

funmanguy posted:

Fun day to find out that our backup generator isn't switching on when power goes out.

You know what's a better time? When the dingleberry electricians working on your new UPS install drill a hole through a wall into the cabling for the existing UP battery bank, killing it, and the generator fails to start.
They had to rent a generator/UPS on a trailer for like a month while they fixed it all. At least they implemented regular monthly tests after that fiasco lost the company a good chunk in sales (luxury retailer!), down time in the distribution center, and whatever programs and systems reacted badly to sudden improper shutdown.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

This thread won me brownie points with my manager because I heard about Meltdown before anyone else, which meant I was the one to tell him about the potential security vulnerability on our VMs. This was right before my PIP ended too. Pretty sure that’s not why I passed, but it didn’t hurt.

Same here, bit for the issue with the patches and PulseSecure.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

Argh who the gently caress is qualified enough to be an electrician touching UPS systems but still manages to drill into cables.

I was told it was an apprentice/flunky/minion of the actual electrician. Should have clarified that.
edit: I was at another facility at that time in my career, which was of course also affected by the outage insofar as no servers, internet, or minicomputers. The facility it occured at was out data center, IT, catalog call center, and fulfillment-to-customers warehouse/shipping center. I happened to be working at the corporate offices 15 miles away at that point in my career with them. Was an easy day after that, at least. Pretty much everyone went home early, including myself.

LochNessMonster posted:

It’s not a survey but a plan for “my personal growth” this year. I’m supposed to discuss this with my manager.

It's probably just my previous situations, management, etc., but I distrust that will go well at all if the truth is told.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jan 25, 2018

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Dick Trauma posted:

I'm almost always the oldest so I like to play these games. The farthest back I can go is 1971, to the local Target that had the first arcade video game I'd ever seen. It was in the entryway, in a swoopy, wild looking fiberglass case. It was called "Computer Space" and I remember struggling to play, not only because I was so little but the controls were laid out in a weird way and who the hell knew how to play a video game? I don't think I ever saw anyone else play it, but now and then someone would stop to watch the "attract" mode.

It boggles my mind to consider that it's 2018 and I'll probably play a computer game when my neighbor's wake me up in the middle of the night. :shepicide:

Wow, never heard of that one. Just Googled it, and that is definitely the funkiest of funky cabinets. Kind of Asteroids-ish gameplay. I would have been very young when that one came out.
First one I remember is Night Driver or Space Invaders. Not sure which I saw/played first.
Later favs included Asteroids and Lunar Lander, of course. Holy crap, I had no idea that Galaxian was originally from 1979...
I'm a couple of years older than the Stranger Things characters, so that show is hitting me right in my youth.

edit: not just play a computer game, but potentially play a computer game with other people from around the world!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Vulture Culture posted:

it doesn't matter, people will still fail to communicate with each other, loops will never get closed, and every team involved will shoot for all the wrong metrics to game the reporting

And, they're highly customizable, so you can gently caress it up in your own special way!
I've only used ServiceNow, in two different iterations. It was a ticketing system. Neither implementation was particularly fast, but neither was hateful. Currently using a custom modification ofJira's in-built ticketing, and it's reasonable. Caveat: I've only used them as a person getting tickets, and creating tickets. I've got no insight into reporting, etc. I'm afraid.

Inspector_666 posted:

I'm not good with computers and don't get the joke, please advise.

*marks URGENT*

Wait - did you not *get* the joke, or did you not *understand* the joke? If you didn't get it, we can send it again. If you didn't understand it, RTFM.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

The Iron Rose posted:

Welcome to Papercut!

...which we've been trying to implement and get working for a few months now and is a large reason why my mentor/senior sysadmin was fired last week.

The beginning and end of my involvement with this is setting up the new print server because fuuuuuuuuuuck printers.

Have any of you folks used PrinterLogic? We're using it here, and I for one love it. It's ridiculously easy to admin, and it works. Has a lot of features that we don't use - our needs are pretty simple.
It can work with AD groups to keep users from even seeing printers they don't need to print to, but we only do that for the special snowflake forms printers.
Users go to an internal website, pick their facility, pick their floor (actually, if they're connected via Ethernet, it'll pick that by itself, since it's aware of our network segmenting), pick a printer, and click install. PrinterLogic sets up a direct IP printer, named correctly, and default if requested. Easy to change names, IP addresses, and drivers as needed, and supports drivers for Mac, Windows, and Linux for each printer. I do not miss print servers., at the very least because it's self-service.

That said, most of my problem with print servers stems from my last job where the print servers were controlled by the Wintel server guys, the network, and therefore IP reservations, were controlled by the Network team, and we, the Desktop team, were responsible for the actual printer, so there were a lot of moving parts if a new printer was added, or something changed. And, of course, the server guys didn't really understand print drivers, and the need for 32- and 64-bit versions, and Macs were just out in the cold altogether (just went direct IP with those). Outsourcing all of that did NOT help this at all.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

That's about all there is to it - and no they weren't talking about IPv6. I think they probably were trying to be a bit clever and use CIDR notation for stuff but didn't really know enough about it.

This is the same company that's using somebody else's IPv4 address space on their LAN because why the gently caress not?

Previous company I was at was still using internet-routable addresses on their internal network, a common address space for .edu sites. Led to a lot of said .edu sites not being reachable from inside the company.
They were mostly moved to a 10.x.x.x address space, but pretty much every printer, and some other devices, that hadn't been replaced in the last 3 or 4 years was still using 128.x.x.x.
Whatever twit set up their network apparently wasn't concerned about connecting to that new-fangled internet when they moved off of Token Ring in the 90s.

edit: and I'm with you guys on memorizing minutia. That poo poo can be looked up as needed. It's more important to know *how* things work, or don't, than the exact numbers, and more importantly, how to troubleshoot. (Step 1: is it plugged in. Step 2: is it turned on. Step 3: did you reboot. Step 4: aw, crap - really got to troubleshoot now.)

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Feb 6, 2018

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Fix a computer, program an app, build a network. It’s all computers, right?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Sprechensiesexy posted:

"There is a shortage of qualified people who are willing to work for peanuts" :cry:

This is the rationalization for H1-B visas.

Kashuno posted:

Here is my good story of the day:

I had an end user call a user who sits near my office to see if I was in when I didn't pick up their call to my cell phone rather than the helpdesk line.

Once they verified I was here, end user called my cell again and I didn't pick up.

They then had another user from that remote office call the helpdesk and I answered because my sysadmin is on lunch and my new helpdesk tech doesn't start until monday.

The end user then called my cell again and I didn't pick up.

As far as I'm aware their issue still isn't resolved.

Some users just go completely out of their way to avoid the help desk. Mind you, I've dealt with "the help desk" at a lot of places that I don't blame them, but I' still not going to answer the damned phone. If you don't like how the help desk works, complain to someone who can do something about it (not me, BTW.)

What I'm saying is:

Methanar posted:

This is the correct response.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Hungry Computer posted:

The college I work at leases all food services to some lovely company, who then rents space to chains like Tim Hortons. The contract with this company states that the college can't give employees free anything that can be bought at one of those chains. If my manager wanted to give us coffee he'd have to buy us timmies gift cards. We're not even allowed to use external caterers unless the event is booked by a non-employee. That wouldn't be so bad if the pizza they make wasn't lower quality than loving Dominoes.

Yeah, you need to find the person who negotiated that contract and kick them in the nuts daily.
That kind of monopoly poo poo always gets you garbage food, because why would they bother to make it better? You gotta buy it.

Kashuno posted:

Hi I'd like to continue to update people on my fun deepdive into the hell that is bizarre weirdo SQL database. The guy who uses it has a bunch of Access stuff that he runs on his local machine, complete with jobs that run through access to impact the sql server, and then uploads the access database to a network drive every single day. the jobs on the SQL server are lost but don't really matter anyway because he runs them himself on his pc.

Feh. You're lucky. The guy who runs the Access stuff is still there. Usually what happens is that some rear end in a top hat writes an Access database, or a ridiculous Excel VB macro, or something, then leaves, and they come to IT asking why it doesn't work any more.

Kashuno posted:

Next update: Asked end user to provide access files that he has on his local PC. User told me I could not have access to them in fear that I would break them.

Lol.

Smart (?) enough to build and Access database, too dumb to understand that you can copy files without changing them.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Fellatio del Toro posted:

By reading this email you agree that you are NOT a cop

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Judge Schnoopy posted:

The best part is most of those companies that attach messages saying "this is for the intended recipient ONLY" also have user-access policies stating their email isn't private and belongs to the company, not the individual.

How they reconcile that with mental gymnastics, I'm not sure.

You're assuming that there's mental *anything* involved.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Love this email a friend got from someone at his old employer.

Because I was curious about the company and what shitheads look like, from Ms. Amy Byrne's bio at the company website:
“I have a passion for creating workplaces that focus on the employee and their experience. I’ve found that when you put the emphasis on those aspects rather than the process, you create a more engaged and motivated workforce.”

Yep, reducing compensation is certainly a way of focusing on the employee and their experience.
Company boasts about $2 billion in revenue, but can't afford to pay for employees to use their cellphones and internet for company stuff...
My previous company stopped reimbursing for internet and cellphone, so I stopped answering calls and working remotely off hours. Not that it mattered much, since we were outsourced and they could just ring up someone in India any time.

The Fool posted:

I'm a sysadmin because I didn't make any conscious decisions about a career and repeatedly went down the path of least resistance.

I'm a desktop janitor for the same reason, plus I'm lazy (which I guess is already implied...)
At any rate, don't go to school for Helpdesk. Go to school to get *out* of Helpdesk, if anything.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

drat you.
Already got in trouble with my wife because I was building a paperclip empire rather than, you know, coming home from work.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I've had two people tell me in the last week 'you must just be like really smart', to which I laugh and tell them I don't actually know anything except Google.

Which is true, I really don't know what I'm doing and am flying by the seat of my pants

I've told people several times that at least half my job is remembering what I did *last* time it did that, and the other half is Googling stuff when something new happens.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Wibla posted:

Some people think this is a joke. It's not, though.

It takes a ton of contextual knowledge to use Google efficiently. Its very much an actual skill, but mostly discounted by those who have no idea how it actually works.

This is also true, especially given how much utter garbage is out there now.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

silicone thrills posted:

Why am I still playing this? What the hell?

I converted the entire universe, left the scraps to the Drift, and converted the entire *next* universe. How can this be so engrossing?

Thanks Ants posted:

Shortcut chat: Win+Shift+S changed my life

Well, thanks. That just saved me the :effort: of opening Snipping Tool.

The Iron Rose posted:

In retrospect, setting a windows blue screen as my lock screen wasn't one of my smarter moves

So how many times did you force-reboot your machine mistakenly?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Vulture Culture posted:

It's not too late. Long Island Iced Tea Corp. changed their name to Long Blockchain last year

What in the...
Holy gently caress, it's true.

Kashuno posted:

with our new virtual reality response system, you can choke users in REAL TIME using our patented blockchain based physical response system. Hyperconverge your users in the modern workforce

Will this technology finally implement the long-sought-after tele-tactile redirection, AKA "clue bat", to punish gently correct user behavior?

Got a job offer! Yay! They don't offer 401k because of some misguided bullshit saying they can be sued for losses in earnings. Boo. What's a reasonable counter to compensate for lack of retirement? Being capped at $5500 a year in an IRA is really a bummer.

3-5% of your annual salary that won't be matched, plus federal taxes on that 3-5% sounds fair to me. Maybe plus approximate annual interest that 6-10% would have earned.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Vargatron posted:

Probably less "brazen" and more "dumb as gently caress".

I heard a tale from a coworker about his time at a local school district. He was brought on board after the previous guy was found to have created an ISP/hosting service using the school's network connection and several of the servers. Yeah, they weren't big on oversight at the time.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Yeah, I'm lazy as gently caress, and have zero interest in climbing any sort of corporate ladder, much less management. I have too many interests outside of work/IT. As long as I'm not stressed out or furious at the end of the day, and I can cover expenses, I'm pretty happy. Content at least.

edit: 10 years working directly at a company, then 7 years with one outsourcer, and 9 months with another, at the same company. Latest is 10 months contracting at another company that is much less stressful, other than the lack of holiday/PTO pay, and increased insurance costs. Going to be pressuring the company to hire me on full time here shortly. I hope they do - I like it here.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Mar 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Vulture Culture posted:

My kids' pediatrician has a 10-second loop of Fur Elise being played on what sounds like a Game Boy, give me all the lovely showtunes

The hold music for our service desk at my previous job was a pan flute version of The Bangles "Eternal Flame", apparently played via a tape deck with a slipping belt. I'm not even kidding. It warbled along changing speed and pitch. And yes, that was the *only* song it had, on endless loop. God save you if the service desk was busy (it always was.)