Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

big money big clit posted:

I work for a VAR and have the opposite problem, wherein all of our many vendors want us to spend a bunch of time doing official training on their products before we can sell and deploy them, and if I actually did all of these things I would basically never have any time to actually sell and deploy them. It's awesome when you see a vendor go into a customer and say "it's so easy, it deploys in a few hours and any idiot could run it" and then turn around and tell you that you'll need to do 40 hours of online training, a two day bootcamp, and then an additional 18 hours of online training, and pass two of their certification tests before they will allow you to deploy said so-easy-an-idiot-could-do-it thing. Hardware/software vendors have a really hard time understanding that their poo poo isn't that different than their competitors poo poo, most of the time and that they aren't re-inventing the wheel, so a semester course on setting up an iSCSI only storage array, or SNMP monitoring software, or whatever, probably isn't necessary.

As someone working for a software company, the tech support tickets we get argue pretty strongly otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

Loads of cameras can store the video on SD cards in each unit, or write directly to a NAS.

https://www.axis.com/global/en/end-to-end-solutions/small-systems

They tend to eat SD cards. SanDisk has some SD cards they call surveillance rated and they claim a lifespan of 10,000 hours. Depending on how you're recording, you're looking at just a bit over 13 months life span. The general experience with the Ultra line was a lifespan measured in a few months. So as part of the design you'll want to have periodic checks to make sure the cards is still working. It's a solution that can work just understand that you're gonna have to set up maintenance for it, and it's a pain in the rear end as systems scale larger in size. For smaller solutions even a cheap NAS will provide better if perhaps not great reliability.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009
Long, long ago when I was looking for a help desk position, RHT sent me on a job interview for Compaq. I get to the interview and it doesn't take long before I find myself very confused. I'm not being asked anything about basic computer stuff or troubleshooting. No, I'm being asked in depth questions about Java. It turns out that RHT had taken the fact that I had spent a month learning Java and decided that clearly meant I had 7 years experience working with Java professionally. I apologized to the guy, walked out and made a follow up call to RHT telling them to gently caress off.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Exit Strategy posted:

We have the second-worst username schema I've ever seen. FirstnameLastname. Unless you've got the same as another person in the company, at which point it's FirstnameMLastname, with M being the middle initial, and other distinguishers added on a case-by-case basis. We have three Linda R. Joneses, so the first one is LindaJones, the second LindaRJones, and the third LindaJonesEsq.

For gently caress's sake, the only worse username scheme I've seen is (sitecode)(first initial)(last initial)(serial identifier)(random three-digit base-36 code), resulting in things like llj0zg1 or bar0bbq or what the gently caress ever.

That's the schema we moved *away from* in January.

We use first initial, middle initial, and last initial. At one point it had to be explained to our corporate overlords why JEW@companyname wasn't gonna fly. One of my coworkers has DTF which drives him nuts.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Defenestrategy posted:

From experience, 3.5 shitters for 134 male employees is not enough.

As per OSHA guidelines there should be 6 bathroom fixtures for 111 to 150 employees of a single gender. For people who use urinals, you're allowed to have 1/3 that number be urinals. So feel free to file an OSHA complaint.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

GreenNight posted:

I should do this. Our main factory has 2 bathrooms for 300 people.

https://www.osha.gov/laws-regs/regulations/standardnumber/1915/1915.88

This is the OSHA standards covering it. It's also covered in the plumbing code but I don't know plumbing code at all.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Robert Half is terrible

Long ago, when I had zero work experience in IT, I gave my resume to one of their recruiters. And they got me an interview with Compaq. The recruiter was a bit vague about what position it was for, but it sounded like help desk. I go in to interview and start getting asked coding questions about Java. My resume had that I had some very basic C but I didn't list any Java experience at all, so I'm a bit confused. Eventually I stop the interview and the interviewer and I figure out what's going on. When we compared my resume I had brought, with the one Robert Half had given him, there were some major discrepancies. The Robert Half version had me knowing a dozen programing languages. I mean sure, I'll fudge the truth a bit on a resume or shoot for positions that I'm not quite at the qualifications for but this was way beyond that. The interviewer did offer to pass my actual resume onto their helpdesk people which was nice of him all things considered.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009
One of the salespeople at the company I work for had a huge sale to Amway. He donated the five figure commission to organizations who try to make Betsy DeVos's life hell. It was weird to feel respect for a sales person.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Jokes on them. If everything is urgent than nothing is urgent and I'm more likely to see the the properly classified "Severity 3" cases that stand out among the sea of idiots.

At a previous employer they did a home built ticketing system. And due the support manager being an idiot, a lot of drop down menus were not well defined. So a ticket could be set priority 1 through 5. Except no one defined which is the higher priority. So I always set mine to 3 for that very reason.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

MF_James posted:

I've got a customer that wants to use their wall mounted TV to view security cameras, I have no clue how the camera program/system operates, it was put in place without my knowledge, but it seems from the limited info customer gave me they just navigate to a URL, login and bam.

He wants to avoid cables, the TV is a newer smart TV with bluetooth etc but the workstation he uses doesn't have built-in bluetooth.

I think the best way to do this would be to buy a bluetooth dongle and chromecast, then cast the webpage or just use it as a second monitor depending on how the viewing is actually done. Other option would be to use an older workstation but I doubt they have any I could mount/hide where the TV is.

Anyone have any other ideas?

Some security camera systems have support for DLNA. It can be worth checking to see if it does, then it's just a matter of enabling it and searching for the broadcast source on the TV.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

NeuralSpark posted:

The few systems I messed all used MPEG-2 which isn't nearly as efficient as more modern streaming options

For the most part CCTV skipped over MPEG-2. MJPEG was used for a long while because it's fairly easy to encode and decode from a processing perspective. It also can have some latency advantages for some applications. The industry switched over to MPEG-4 because hardware based encoding became available. So the encoding could be done on the capture card. It made for an expensive capture card but the storage savings were significant enough to make that a reasonable option for some people. MPEG-4 was also much more attractive because the patent agreements for it were much more straightforward and had way more options in terms of flat fee options. MPEG-2's licencing stuff is built much more around broadcasters and thinking in terms of having control of video copies. So for internal recording and streaming remotely they wanted to charge in the same way PPV streams were charged if you were streaming video to remote clients. Thankfully for exporting video in MPEG-2 for export was treated like DVD burning software. So licencing fees could either be a big check or smaller ones per copy sold. Which is one reason you saw some companies working with capture cards have DVD export go through Windows. It was less work to implement and you could skip fees all together. The only DVRs that stored in MPEG-2 were things like Tivo or other devices focused on recording TV shows.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I mean I was thinking of Rick Astley through every speaker, but if you had each speaker with a different number you could stagger it by like five seconds per speaker.

Just play a long clip of some low buzzing.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Thanatosian posted:

We're switching vendors for some documents we provide to our customers online. Our previous vendor provided the documents as individual .pdf files that we import into our document management system using an index file with metadata that includes the file name. The new vendor provides a single PDF with metadata and the number of pages per document (think csv with customernumber,customername,documentdate,#ofpages). I've seen a PDF Command Line tool called PDFtk before; is anyone familiar with that or another open-source/proprietary command line PDF tool? I haven't worked with one before, and it's hard to pick out scams from legitimate software when you're just Googling.

I'm not a programmer, but I'm okay with scripting (Powershell, batch, SQL), I wanted to take a run at it. We requested a professional services quote from the document manager software manager, and they quoted $26,000; we're small enough that that is probably prohibitive, and if I can solve it well with a script, it's at least some brownie points. I'd want to break up the PDF based on the number of pages in the original index file, and generate a new index file with the metadata and replace the number of pages with a filename for the new individualized .pdf file. Is the $26,000 reasonable for that? Seems high to me, but I know that sometimes seemingly simple problems that are actually pretty difficult to resolve programming-wise.

I know this is a bit late, but I've used the PSWritePDF powershell module to split some PDFs. It seemed to work okay.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Thanatosian posted:

Looking at the documentation, it looks like it will either split each page into its own file, or split into files of X pages each; I need irregular splitting, unfortunately. Did you manage to contort it into doing that? Thanks for the help.

I was splitting pages into files. I didn't try doing irregular. I have installed, when I get done teaching I can see if I can do it.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

MF_James posted:

I have a friend that used to run a financing company, not sure if he got special deals because he did credit checks so often but a single credit check against a single agency was like $10-25, can't recall exactly how much but it wasn't expensive.

For a credit check, particularly if you work out a bulk rate, $5 to $10 is normal. The kind of background check you'd run for someone at an entry level position would be $25. Barring special cases like a need to check sex offender registries. If you're running a background check that digs Pre-check deep, it would be $125. Drug testing adds $30 to $55 depending on how many panels you want run. But it's loving stupid way to piss away money. A person starting out on help desk is gonna have a poo poo credit score. They are likely just out of college and have debt up to their eyeballs.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Sickening posted:

Because "business use" isn't always decided by individual department worker bees. Its more likely solely decided by company senior leadership. Standardizing what software is approved (and how) for business use is sometimes necessary to make sure the software is supported properly and risk is evaluated and/or accepted. You want it patched right? You want to know who to call when you have an issue? You probably want to also decide whose cost center this stuff goes again? Who is handling the business agreement, licensing, and other contract stuff? Who is going to make sure the account that owns the software isn't someone's gmail?

It does help everyone involved if IT has a better attitudes about all of it though.

:same:

If you don't understand the risks to shadow IT, that might be the better question to ask.

Yeah, at my company they set up some stuff with Sharepoint for Marketing. Both groups had discussions about what the goals were, neither group got everything they wanted but from what I've gathered, IT got some quality of life stuff to make managing Sharepoint suck less, Marketing got much of what they wanted and the goal of reducing sales persons excuses about why they had the wrong spec sheets was met. Everyone seems to feel the project was successful. But I've seen how loving rare that can be. Sometimes it's other departments treating IT badly, sometimes it's IT being pricks. Sometimes it's upper management encouraging knife fights between fiefdoms.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm an extrovert and really really miss in-person interaction in the office these days, but wtffffffffffff is this, holy poo poo that's creepy

vvv omg

I literally work for a company that enables Big Brother and management came out and said they found the idea creepy as gently caress.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

NeuralSpark posted:

Consulting chat: absolutely do not wing it on your contract. Find the funds to have a lawyer draft or sign off on your contract. I have a friend who got hosed because his client's lawyer thought he found a way to weasel out of paying, and his free contract from the internet wasn't applicable in his locale. He ended up writing off the work as the process of suing the client wasn't worth it.

Which leads me to: Have a standardized change request form, and use it. Don't just accept an email - send the client a change request and have them digitally sign it. An organization I was working for years ago ended up eating like 50k on a project because a client (a FANNG, no less) requested a change, and I didn't get a signed form. When we presented the invoice, the project contact said "where's your signed change form? gently caress off" and we had to eat it.

Scope/Statement of Work. Clearly define what is and is not included. Things like if you implement a new system, is there an expectation that training will be provided? How much? Basically you want to ask yourself, can an unreasonable rear end in a top hat sue over this. Then answer your own question and document it. Over time, lots of it will become boilerplate. But when poo poo isn't clearly defined, then you will run into lots of headaches. Your lawyer will appreciate it if you have a signed document that says isn't your responsibility for the thing they are suing you over. And if your lawyer is happy, you're more likely to be happy.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

The Iron Rose posted:

My boss used to do this in standup and it was agony

CRINKLE CRINKLE CRINKLE right in my loving ear

During our weekly departmental conference call, my boss would do his dishes. We had to have a talk with him.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

orange sky posted:

I've been attending some meetings with IBM in preparation for a big project (I'm one of the vendors) and I have to say - hoooooly poo poo what a clusterfuck this is

I never thought multi million dollar projects would be like this

You can see some staggering poo poo. I was consulting on an access control installation/integration project where the expected price tag was in the $8 million dollar range. Multiple locations, hundreds of doors. So it goes out to bid. And it turned out that due to the integration aspect, only one integrator is eligible. But the customer had worked with them before, and their expected bid would be under the targeted budget. So they wait for bids to be turned in, expecting to only have one. They didn't get one. They got .25 of a bid. The company bidding had learned they were likely the sole bidder and said gently caress it to doing the paperwork, thinking who else could the customer get.

The customer's response was to pull the bid, move to their second choice for access control who had a lot more integrators. The behind the scenes politics for this was amazing now that I have more distance from it. But I got angry e-mails from everyone who wasn't the customer. Lots of sales people had based this quarter and the next few quarters on this project. But the customer felt insulted the integrator couldn't be bothered to do the paperwork. I get bid paperwork is a pain in the rear end but for a multi-million dollar project with healthy margins, you do it. So yeah, on big projects you can find stupidity multipliers.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009
In terms of criminals I've worked with there was the sales person who brawled with building security. We were in a building that was also the HQ of an oil and natural gas exploration company. They took security very seriously, and a new hire salesguy lost his badge at lunch. He had also consumed a lot of alcohol during lunch. That combination lead to him taking a swing at a security guard which didn't go well for the sales guy.

The other criminal was an Enron VP who we hired to do some bus dev stuff. I'm not sure what they did at Enron but I worked with them enough to know they were probably guilty as gently caress.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Have you ever had an outage caused by something other than computer error or hardware failure, i mean something unusual like a fire, breakin, flood, asteroid, hurricane etc?

I worked with a college that did an active shoot drive involving campus police and off-duty law enforcement playing the shooters and students volunteering (in the dictionary rather than management sense) to be students. During the drill, one of the LEs thought it would be helpful to kill the power and backup generator to the main server room. All of the life safety and security systems were separated and thus didn't go offline. All of the IT department's stuff did go offline. Being a neutral party in the meeting afterwards was fun.

I did once get to troubleshoot a server that always went completely offline every day at ~6 pm. Never exactly at 6 pm, but within a 10 minute window. Checked logs, checked to see if there were rogue tasks, checked for everything I could think of. I had to check the security camera footage for an unrelated thing and discovered the building janitors were going into the small glassed in server area to use the plugs for the vacuum cleaners. Which meant unplugging the server.

A project in rural Texas was shut down by the locals assuming the camera system was the Feds and showing their displeasure by shooting it up. Along with all of the supporting equipment like the cell bridge.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

I get that it's frustrating but a home user ISP doesn't really care about uptime, and if your employer needs you to be available then it's probably worth them giving you an LTE hotspot as a backup or whatever.

Yep. Our work provided phones have hotspot enabled for this exact situation.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Sepist posted:

When did the word kruft start becoming so popular. Never heard it until 2 months ago now everyone is saying it.

Cruft is pretty old, dating back to the 60's. I remember encountering it in the computer world in the 90's.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

TheParadigm posted:

Have you ever had anyone show up with the long resume and the short resume and ask which one you want?

I've shown up to an interview where the recruiter had given them a long, highly doctored resume and I had my shorter, closer to the truth one. Does that count?

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Internet Explorer posted:

I am more than happy to work with these sorts of people.

That man needs to be slotted into a PM role. If he can move work around that well while maintaining relationships....

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Defenestrategy posted:

I used to think phishing was kinda over exaggerated as a threat until one of our finance people fell for the whole

"Hey, I'm in a meeting and I need 200$ of google play cards for clients - ceo"

Last year and did in fact send the google play cards to that email.

My favorite was an email pretending to be from a CEO that told a finance department to wire $200,000 to the account of a foreign "vendor". And the finance people did it without question.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

No lie, I would not own a printer if I could just send the print job to someone to print and then mail it to me.
Hardware-less printing as a service that doesn't require me to drive somewhere, needs to be a thing.

It's kind of a thing for photographers. I can upload various picture files and they will send me nice prints. How nice depends a bit on the original file but I don't gently caress with photo printers.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Inner Light posted:

I use Walgreens for this all the time, though they usually look like garbage because it's from a phone not a DSLR. Any advantage to using the mail order guys over a local Walgreens thing, other than not having to drive and pick it up?

Yes, they will look less like poo poo. Generally the mail people are using better printers, and know what they are doing. It may just be my local Walgreens but their printers seem to mute the colors and they seem to work from much lower resolution. So the difference is noticeable.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Sprechensiesexy posted:

Straighten your spine, keep it steady and ask for the money you want. It's a negotiation, you're not begging for charity regardless of how long you were outta work.

I didn't work for 7 months between my current and previous job, that didn't mean I gave anyone a "I'm just happy to go back to work" discount.

And if they say no, how they say no tells you a lot about the company. Like if the no includes a condescending explanation then you've learned your new boss is a major rear end in a top hat and you pull the ripcord. If they say no apologetically, your boss might be okay but the company is likely going to suck. I always view counter offers as a way to see if the answers to the corporate culture stuff were massive bullshit or just a little bullshit.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

codo27 posted:

Our badge swipe system here is a piece of horse poo poo. Its a construction site, so we just have the swipe at the gate and thats it. I want it such that when someone swipes in, their picture appears on the screen inside the security office. Should be easy enough to achieve right? Also would like for them to easily be able to tell in event of emergency if someone hasn't evacuated, ie: swiped in but not swiped out.

A better solution for the later option is use of mustering stations. At the defined rally points for evacuation you either use hand held readers or you have a permanent reader put in place. People badge in when they get to the rally point. By separating from badging in and out, you reduce the issue of people sneaking off to smoke and having avoided badging out.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

LochNessMonster posted:

How in the world does someone like this pass any type of interview. Do you have an even more insane CEO? Like, who hires someone like this?

Startup world can be a weird, weird place. I worked for a software start up, and one day the CEO forwarded me an e-mail that someone sent him. It was the cold call equivalent of a job application. The e-mail was rambling and incoherent. Like the writer had some untreated mental illness that was way past needing treatment. But the CEO liked the moxie of it and hired the guy. He later had a breakdown when sent to the be the advance crew for a trade show. Instead of going to the airport he just did laps around the 610 loop in Houston. Not a bad guy per se, and probably would have been a good employee if he had some mental health treatment.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

ASAPRockySituation posted:

Got a second interview with the IQ test folks. How many red flags do y’all see in the following:

6 person team
10 hour workday on the job page
In interview mentioned that it’s not a 9-5 and that if weekend work came up the whole team would be working
“We do things the (insert company name) way”
Sent me IQ test as assessment
Is a MSP
Said 75% of their work was cloud, 25% on prem
Mentioned they do run cables for people
One of the two interviewers on the call was on client prem setting up a new server
Didn’t give me a client count

Yet I’m somehow not scared?

This feels like the right amount of flags, if your in Moscow for the Mayday parade in the early 80s.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Wibla posted:

I'm stealing this.

Feel free.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Sickening posted:

Good ol r/selfhosted. Where home internet/power/systems never go down! Its almost like the majority just lie about uptime to make themselves feel better.

Facebook owns most of the datacenters they use. Wouldn't they be the definition of selfhosted? They own the hardware, the physical plant, the logical infrastructure and so on.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

The Fool posted:

I’m not saying that certs in general are bad, or even that comptia certs are a waste of time.

Just that specifically the a+ itself is both bad and a waste of time.

I still remember the questions about Bluetooth LANs.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Wizard of the Deep posted:

My "why is the A+ asking so many questions" subject was printers. Laser, inkjet, and dot-matrix/tractor-feeds. I swear 30% of the test was about parts of the printers.

I'm sorry. Someone really should be hung for asking that many questions about printers.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

What’s even the go-to android model for a company buying phones for users? I can’t imagine having to support that poo poo for a workforce.

For us it's the option of the current mid-range Pixel or Galaxy options. We also can get the current mid-range iPhone. I was curious as to why we didn't standardize on one, and the group that handles it felt the extra work for managing a variety was less of a pain then getting e-mails litigating which phone environment is the right one. That feels reasonable to me.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

Is this for real?

Technical Support Engineer - Software-Defined Storage - Remote
Red Hat Raleigh, NC Remote
$53,000/yr - $74,000/yr (LinkedIn est.)
· Full-time
· Requires working Weekends and Holidays

What You Will Do
Serve as a direct contact and adviser for customer inquiries about Red Hat Ceph Storage and Red Hat OpenShift Data Foundations offerings
Deliver an exceptional customer experience by using professional communication skills, applying existing knowledge and deep troubleshooting to resolve a variety of issues
Partner with Red Hat’s strategic cloud partners to jointly solve multi-vendor customer issues
Continuously develop troubleshooting skills and keep up with the latest technology trends

What You Will Bring
Advanced Linux knowledge, skills, and ability required of administrators responsible for Red Hat Enterprise Linux systems; Red Hat Certified System Administrator (RHCSA) or Red Hat Certified Engineer (RHCE) is a plus
Experience as a support, sustaining, or development engineer or other directly related experience within an enterprise environment
Experience with software-defined storage products, like Gluster, Ceph, Nutanix AOS, etc.
Familiarity with container technologies, including Kubernetes, OpenShift, Docker, etc.
Outstanding troubleshooting skills and passion for problem-solving and investigation

Does Redhat pay poo poo or are linkedin's estimates way off? 53k sounds INSANE and 74k still seems 30-40k low.

That seems to be on par for what I've seen from them. Their pay tends to be poo poo because the COL in Raleigh was fairly low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

skipdogg posted:

Ya'll just wait for fashion to come full circle, then you'll really feel old.

I went to 5 different stores last weekend to find my tween daughter a pair of all white Nike Air Force 1's that she just had to have. I was like... the Nelly shoes from 2002? and she said Who's Nelly? Then I muttered F these kids. Oh, also all the older music she hears that came out in the 90's and early 2000's are "that song from TikTok". F

I swear to god if JNCO's and wallet chains come back I might just move to the mountains and become a hermit.

JNCOs are already making a comeback. The wallet chains, not so munch.