Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo
I'm about to give up a 50k/yr job to go back to school to try to get into IT!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Scratchmo

adorai posted:

Or you could skip school and just start working in IT.

Yeah, but I already have some community college credits and I can take cheaper certs there while working on pretty good lab set ups. I should be able to get an AS in network admin along with a handful of certs in less than a year with very little debt, I'm not cutting huge checks to ITT tech or anything.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Scratchmo

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

If you had a junior sysadmin job on the side, you would probably learn a lot more.

That's the sort of training companies should be providing.

Sure, that would be great, but every single job posting I've seen and applied to requires either school and certs or experience. It turns out that nobody is willing to just take my word that I'm good with computers and a fast learner and would totally pick the job up if they just give me a shot. I'm scheduled to take A+, Net+, and Linux+ before the end of the summer though, so that should help.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Scratchmo

Sepist posted:

Don't do that. I've always liked my coworkers and some of them including my old boss are coming to my wedding but I still gave the normal 2 weeks after I already have a signed offer at a new place.

I'm about half way through working out the 2 months notice I gave at my current position. It was a terrible loving mistake. I'll never give more than 2 weeks again and I would say I generally have(had) an extremely good relationship with the owners of the small business before I gave my notice. They're not even really trying to screw me (although I wasn't thrilled with the 35% pay cut - but at least I hardly have any responsibility besides knowledge transfer) but they've hosed up the hand over so badly that I have to spend all day in a toxic environment where half the hourly staff is threatening to quit because they aren't happy with the way ownership is handling the transition from me to another manager.

E:
V-- https://www.yoogle.com :D

BallerBallerDillz fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jul 23, 2016

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Scratchmo

Tab8715 posted:

Has anyone ever heard the phrase "NIC Card"?

I wonder how fellow IT Goons would react to such a thing.

My networking teacher has never said it any other way. It drives me bonkers.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Scratchmo

pixaal posted:

A general degree (non IT) will get you into a good number of places. But HR can demand you have a degree in "Computer Science / Network engineer" even with 10 years in field because they don't know what is going on. It might not even be the hiring managers fault, HR sometimes just shoves that on there and auto dumps anyone without it.

If you are specifically looking to get into IT and are finishing highschool, schools call IT degrees different things so ask guidance or a recruiter at the school of your choice. Some bundle network and server into one degree and call it "Network Engineering" other will break it into 2 pieces. If you want to actually learn something take classes at a place with a ton of hands on and labs. Theory is not going to help you setup a Domain Controller.

If you are looking to go back to school, try your luck and just apply, maybe study for an take some certs. Certs can be great. Figure out what you want to do in IT and go for it.

IT is pretty diverse and while 1 person can cover the basics of most things saying "I want to do IT" is like saying "I want to work at an office" You can be sales, customer service, purchasing, or HR. In IT you can do Networking or Servers or Help Desk, and that can branch of even more at some really large places or if you are consulting. But don't worry too much beyond "Network (Switches / Routers) / Servers (Linux / Microsoft Active Directory, mostly script work and patch management) / Help Desk (Helping users resolve issues). You want to find something in that realm that.

Basically you might be able to be one of the rare success stories that gets by without a degree or any certs, but a degree will help a ton, if you don't have any degrees I suggest you get one related, if you have a degree already get some certs a cert or two to back you up and apply. Even if you do get by sometimes you will miss your next job because someone with half your experience and a quarter of your talent has a degree. So go get one.

I'm in the midst of attempting a career change into IT and am currently taking classes at my local community college, which has (as far as I can tell) pretty good labs although I'm still pretty early on in the program. I'm taking the second part of my A+ next week and trying to decide on what cert to go after next. I seem to be pretty good at linux and enjoy it, is linux+ worthwhile? Or would it be better to try to go right to RHCSA? I'm mostly interested in working in some sort of cloud/aws/gce/docker type role.

fake edit: I guess this would be better in the certs thread, but the topic came up here.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Scratchmo

jaegerx posted:

I think it's probably harder to find for home grown mc* than Linux now but then I don't work for tiny msp companies.

mc*? like MCSE, etc?

Sheep posted:

Skip Linux+ and go straight to RH*.

Docjowles posted:

Seconded, skip Linux+ unless you're getting it for free as part of your program. RHCSA/RHCE are the better industry certs.

And I'd definitely encourage you to stick with Linux if you like it! It's very hard to find good Linux people, and companies will pay accordingly.

Thanks for the input. Being well paid would certainly be nice, but I'm mostly just excited to do something more interesting than what I'm doing now.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Scratchmo

psydude posted:

It varies from state to state in the US, but I know in MD that an employer can only confirm that you worked for them during a certain time period. Job titles, duties, and salaries are off limits.

That is not actually true.
http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/free-books/employee-rights-book/chapter9-6.html

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Scratchmo

ratbert90 posted:

Which roll is the best roll for my role as a roll baker?

This is a stupid joke but I'm just going to role with it.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Scratchmo

Walked posted:

VPN or unblock us. MLB.tv is the poo poo but their blackout rules are frustrating

However, the fire TV doesn't work with this solution unless using Kodi, the native app uses some other (non-IP) geographical method (perhaps Amazon account address). Kodi either a charm though

Do you know if that's true even if you use unblock-us dns at the router? That's how do it and mlb on Roku works fine. I'd be disappointed if that stopped working. Is there a particular mlb Kodi plugin you prefer? It looks like there are a couple.

E: sorry, didn't see the post above, I'd be happy to take it to PMs.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Scratchmo
Well that must have been a letdown

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Scratchmo
Some real :downs: kicking in this TAMU game.

E: this isn't the college football thread. I'll do the needful and revert to the proper subforum.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Scratchmo

CLAM DOWN posted:

I do that at work anyways :confused:

I assume you mean you leave the stall door open and prop the bathroom door open for maximum effect. I hope you bring a laptop in there too, preferably not yours but someone's that you're supposed to be upgrading.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Scratchmo
Be prepared to fix up Linkedin accounts.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Scratchmo
Do you have a second phone number you can give them with a phony name/position then tell them to gently caress off when they call?

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Scratchmo
I believe somebody posted the solution to persistent sales calls a few weeks ago.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Scratchmo

Sickening posted:

Enter-PSSession -ComputerName ComputerName -Credential domain\user

Add-Type -AssemblyName System.Speech
$Talk = New-Object -TypeName System.Speech.Synthesis.SpeechSynthesizer
$Talk.Speak('Put more paper in the tray you fuckwits.')

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Scratchmo
I remember earlier in this thread some of you had some great suggestions for questions to ask during interviews but I can't seem to find it among the nearly 700 pages here (or maybe it was even in the ticket thread :shrug: )

Anybody have some good questions they like to ask, or be asked, in interviews?

I have an interview for my first IT job in a few hours and feel like it may be a little beyond my skill range right now but they asked one of my teachers to recommend a student so they know I'm still learning. I know that saying you'd Google an answer, or ask IRC/Stackexchange/SHSC, is better than flatly saying you don't know - any other tips on how to handle technical questions you don't know the answer to?

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Scratchmo
https://redmondmag.com/articles/2010/09/01/beware-the-bsa.aspx

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Scratchmo
I just got my first offer for a real IT job. Part time so I can finish school but a good first step to hopefully let me move into something I'm really interested in after I graduate.

:yotj:

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Scratchmo

Internet Explorer posted:

Congrats man! My first IT job had such a huge impact on my life. Get in there, be motivated, curious, and helpful and take all you can from that experience.

Thanks!

Yeah it's looking like the career change was a good idea - now I'll just have to see if I can keep up with a 20 credit quarter now that one of the classes will have to be independent study. At least the class I'll no longer be able to attend in person is Cisco and I'll be working in a Cisco environment so hopefully I'll actually get some exposure to it. My manager seemed eager to get me involved in as many things as possible which is really nice.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Scratchmo
Yeah, I just got my first real IT job with an A+ and an N+ - I'm also in a program that will lead to a CCNA.

It doesn't hurt to have a solid linkedin profile - with picture. I actually got my job through networking at an open source conference held at my school. Go to networking meetups or try to find free regional conferences in your area if you can, people enjoy talking to enthusiastic students and those connections can be really valuable.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Scratchmo

LochNessMonster posted:

Lmbo, you'd almost feel sorry for that guy.

poo poo pay, but if he has to ask Reddit he probably doesn't have a ton of experience. If he can scrape by for 12-18 months getting good hands-on experience with all that he can probably make a pretty good leap in position at his next place. It's probably more worthwhile in the long run than doing T1 helpdesk for 20/hr.

I need to start learning Ansible or Chef or something.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Scratchmo

The Fool posted:

Snipe-IT is on my short list, so is AssetCloud

I'm hoping for a couple other suggestions before I present to my Director.

https://products.office.com/en-us/excel

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Scratchmo

Sickening posted:

Eh, the desktop folks at my company have a pretty cushy gig for it being entry level compared to pretty much ever company I heard of. Most of the people we have had got to skip the call centers, the contract work, the punch clocks, and all the other bullshit you see with entry level IT stuff. So far so few have recognized how poo poo other companies can be. I just wish I could offer them a better growth plan in our company.

Mind me asking what part of the world you're in?

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Scratchmo

BaseballPCHiker posted:

If only I could get it to play nicely with Drive and not try to shove OneDrive down my rear end all the time.

Ha, try migrating from pc to mac. There is no option to move notebooks, no export/import. It's either in the butt or nothing. loving maddening.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Scratchmo
Also aren't there 100% online mortgage companies? Has anyone ever used one? I'm sure they don't make you fax but I wonder if you can get away with only a digital signature.
I know I got a $30k loan by doing nothing more than typing my full name and checking a box and hitting submit. I think the fax requirements are something lovely lawyers just assume without digging too​ deeply. I like the idea of stuxnet for fax machines.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Scratchmo

Thanks Ants posted:

Isn't the legal stuff to do with if a fax is timestamped at a certain time, and call records from the relevant parties show that a call was made at this time then it can be proven in a way that emails can't?

Also, according to that PCWorld article linked above

Someone confused about email posted:

Your computer doesn’t have to be on to send or receive a fax; faxes can arrive at 3 A.M. (and frequently do) and you’ll have them in the morning.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Scratchmo

xsf421 posted:

I work for a giant online-only mortgage company, we get people faxing us stuff constantly. We just have an app set up to turn them to pdf and email to the recipient, because who the hell wants paper.

Do you accept e-signatures?

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Scratchmo
I tried to fix that for a user recently. I ended up having to fully delete her outlook profile and reload it.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Scratchmo

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I've got to learn confluence. Anyone have tips on how to not gently caress up really bad? I'm coming from SharePoint, where people have hosed it up bad.

Painstakingly add every SA smiley to HipChat, set up the confluence integration. Do all your documentation in smiley/meme heavy conversations with team members and save the chat logs to confluence. (Note that after a week or two you may have to have your documentation chats with yourself, once everyone else refuses to talk to you on HipChat)

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Scratchmo

Tab8715 posted:

Why do people still use Internet Explorer?

It's the only thing that works with our lovely voip configuration web portal.

It's the only thing that works with our lovely wifi controller configuration web portal.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Scratchmo

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Scratchmo

jaegerx posted:

Slack is free up to an amount

An internal irc server is free. :colbert:

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Scratchmo
At my place remote or wfh people have the option of video or audio for the daily standup. Almost everyone chooses video and we usually end up spending about 5 minutes out of the 15 laughing at somebody's cat.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Scratchmo

Agrikk posted:

Better trim braid and bead those nose hairs, sport.

It's the only thing I dislike about my new XPS13.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Scratchmo

Avenging_Mikon posted:

There anything better for finding files than regular windows search? That can search over network shares, not just locally?

WSL!

find / -name 'dickbutt.pdf' 2> /dev/null

E: Get-ChildItem C:\ | Where-Object {$_.Name -match "(^dick|butt.jpg$)"}

I think, I suck at PowerShell and regex. :eng99:

BallerBallerDillz fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jul 15, 2017

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Scratchmo

HatfulOfHollow posted:

If you need snowmobile you should just build your own cloud.

I'm struggling to find guidelines on the snowmobile free tier, anyone have a link?

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Scratchmo

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Sounds like someone lives in Phoenix Winnipeg!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Scratchmo

Sepist posted:

He used to be a cop too among other things, his story was very interesting. Best advice he ever gave me was about a taser I was accidentally gifted at a sponsored golf outing. They're illegal here so I said "should I turn this in to the cops" and he said "Nah, I've got crossbows it's all good. Just keep it in the house for self-defense"

You're a fool if you bring a taser to a crossbow fight.