Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I'm in the Chicagoland area. I'm working with a recruiter right now and he has given me a couple OK leads, but nothing that is making me leave where I'm at right now. However, he is constantly asking what I'm making at my current job because "When I'm is asked, I need to be able to provide a number and justify why you're (me) worth" [current salary] + X amount more. It sounds like a bunch of crap to me, and I dodged that question and said "Well, I'm looking in the Y to Z range" which was fine for the first part of our conversation, but at the end he asked again and said "Well, the HR department at your next job is going to ask and find out, so it's in your best interest to be honest with me." I don't mind letting close friends know what I make, but I don't tell it to complete strangers that call me out of the blue for a job I applied for 3 months ago. I don't know, it just seemed really annoying that he wouldn't get off of what I make now, even after telling him that the same job in two different industries will pay completely different, it's not just about salary but the total compensation package, and my current salary has no impact on what I'm looking to make in my next role, all that good stuff.

Is this pretty common with recruiters, asking to know your current salary? Do I just have a lovely recruiter contacting me (my gut says yes)? Do any of you have good recruiters/companies that you know/have worked with in the Chicagoland area that you would recommend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU