Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

CLAM DOWN posted:

What does this even mean? Here, all our electricity is hydro and is owned and operated by the provincial government. What is "big energy" and why is it evil? Is this an American thing?

There are Canadian provinces where electricity is owned and operated by corporations, so no, it's not just an American thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

Do you have an example of which ones? It only looks like Alberta (surprise) from what I can find.

Nova Scotia Power is owned and operated by Emera. It's at least integrated with a provincial regulatory board but that's about it.

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

I'm at 1690 since fiscal started last April according to metrics and that's with having missed a few months last year. Looks like in 2019/2020 I finished at 2968. Love to be constantly understaffed!

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

LochNessMonster posted:

I've heard this one being followed up with "and what would your partner answer if we asked them this question about you".

"Huh, probably 'who the gently caress are you? how did you get this number?'"

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

drat. I've only had to decrypt a flash drive of cp for the lawyer prosecuting (thank god he warned me before I opened it to confirm it was all good) and troubleshoot printing a picture of a corpse for an ME. I really hope that's the extent of my nightmare tickets.

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

jaegerx posted:

I don’t know what roblox actually is and at this point I’m afraid to ask.

It's Minecraft but they figured out how to monetize child labour.

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I have extreme light sensitivity right now because I have an eye infection, so I wore sunglasses.
There were a bunch of people in my office working with someone else so I wore a mask.
The AC was broken and blowing cold air despite it being like 55°F in my office so I wore a jacket with the hood.

I had to take a meeting and I looked like one of those people in "anonymous" interviews for reality TV shows like "I'm a real life drug dealer" or "I murder people for money" or "True confessions of a gangbanger"

Gotta find someway to pay for those keyboards. I respect it.

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

KillHour posted:

I'm in a progress meeting from 10 to 7:30. Kill me.

I didn't understand what hell was until now.

Sickening posted:

In my weekly IT security meeting at my main job and my CISO is currently complaining that she sees snacks at people desks. We are a 100% work from home team in a 100% work from home division.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I had to endure an hour long argument in a meeting between my manager and his boss because I had my webcam on but the background wasn't blurred.
Apparently my manager didn't like the look of my non-blurred white ceiling?

Love seeing how WFH is breaking the brains of all the terrible managers in the world.

My HR group is demanding that every employee work in the office at least twice a week and the best reason they can muster as to why is how important the relationships built by chatting with people in the hallway are.

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

I see we're having a very normal reaction to the fact that minorities may not want to live in more conservative locations where they may be discriminated against. Cool cool.

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

regulargonzalez posted:

I think objective data would be the best way to look at this. Let's compare the amount of hate crimes from the last 3 rural zip codes I've lived in to those of any metropolitan goon zip code. And to show I'm acting entirely in good faith, we'll do it per Capita. And I'll go further and make it a banme toxx, if any of you are willing to do the same. If my area has more hate crimes, I get banned. And vice versa.

Just lmk. Easy way to get rid of me, since there are so many lynchings in my area.

Ah yes, the objective data of reporting crimes to police. A group of people famously on the side of minorities. I'd consider taking you up on that but the police force for my 400k person metropolitan area either doesn't charge people with hate crimes or they're statistically insignificant enough to fall under the "Other" umbrella.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I mean that’s definitely not what Clam Down said, he said you will at best get hate crimed and at worst get murdered if you live in a rural area, but feel free to continue misinterpreting it.

I shouldn’t have to lay out my “credentials” but I’m a bi enby that spent most of their adult life in an interracial relationship. gently caress off with your “check your privilege” poo poo.

Are we pretending hate crime can't include speech? Is this a Canada vs USA thing, because to say you're likely to deal with hate speech in rural areas (which are traditionally more conservative by nature) is not a particularly hot take. Whether you're more likely to be assaulted? I couldn't say. The reason minorities may avoid living in rural areas are obviously way more complicated than "you'll get hate crimed", I'd almost go as far as to say that the lack of potential community is the biggest reason.

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

I started looking at this thread and I got two promotions within 5 months. The thread works ya'll.

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

There's at least two foxpro databases in use at my organization. Where do they stand?

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

Unions are 100% required under Capitalism and to suggest otherwise is actively hostile to the working class. Of course they can be misused, humans will find a way to misuse everything.

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

Ohhh, I get you now. Yeah, it's pretty sweet lol, but also something that I do recognize my privilege with. It's the norm in a lot of the world so it's not something that occurs to most of us - a majority of workers in my province are unionized. Unions rule! We're in the process of negotiating a new collective agreement right now though which is extremely annoying how long it takes.

The court is in the process of smacking down some anti-union legislation by our previous government (instead of negotiating a contract, they forced one into existence via law) so I'll get a little raise and a bunch of back pay this year. Unions rule.

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

jaegerx posted:

Yeah but they call it "le laboure dayee" so it sounds cooler

The feds would never allow a french holiday, that would cede too much ground to Quebec.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

Yesssss I get monday off to "mourn" lmao thank you queen for dying

Feeling blessed that the Queen's mysterious allure has enchanted politicians even after death and seduced them into giving me a long weekend.