Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Working in IT 3.0: Yeah I quit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Seattle's IT/Dev job market will be okay for the next year. MS's new vendor policy of 18 months on and 6 months off means Jan 1, 2016 the market will be flooded with former long term vendors who can't go back to MS until July.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Ever get busy, not check the threads for a while, then get overwhelmed by being several thousand pages behind? Yeah that's me. I'm catching myself back up, and while doing that realized it's November. Did we want to do another goon thumbdrive thing this year?

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

TWBalls posted:

Wow, haven't seen you around for a while. I'd be interested in buying a couple if someone is going to do this. I think I killed mine on accident during a Warrior Dash. I had my car key (which has the flash drive attached) in a plastic bag, but the bag punctured and both the key and flash drive were quite muddy.

I started working with a really really complex system in June and just now realized I should come up for air.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Docjowles posted:

I got last year's keychain and use it all the time on a variety of different Macs with no problems :confused: Maybe you got a lemon.

Is this the year we make "gently caress printers"?

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Swink posted:

What about just "gently caress you" and we can give them out to people who need to receive such a message.

Waste of a good thumbdrive, for sure.

Last year's was a thumbdrive in an aluminum bottle opener that had the grenade logo on one side and an arrow pointing at the boozy end reading "in case of emergency, please do the needful".

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Inspector_666 posted:

Do this except instead of USB thumbdrives they're thermite grenades!

How about goon thumbdrive swiss army knives? Data you can shank with.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

I'm significantly more interested in what NK Hadn't yet released that caused Sony to cave.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

10 minutes into this morning's scrum meeting, and I'm the only attendee. Once 11:00 hits I'm bouncing and jumping on the weeklong wfh train.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I've never done scrum and I'm guessing that it rarely gets implemented properly but since you're the only person who showed up on time, I'd say you're already done.

I'm calling it. This week's productivity time of death: 11am on Monday.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

SaltLick posted:

I just got denied a pretty big promotion/being hired on full time due to admission to criminal behavior back from my college days on a polygraph. lol self ownage. gently caress the police

Protected industry? sue hard. http://www.dol.gov/compliance/guide/eppa.htm#who%23who

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

This will be my third week working from home. Everybody I work with on projects is on vacation. All of my projects are complete.

"Has steady job" is me right now.

Has steady job doesn't have an xbox controller in his hand, though.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

DHCP chat. A while back my entire building's connections were hosed. It took a while to track down the root cause. Ultimately, a dev hosed up setting up a test environment in his office, got his wan and lan ports confused, and was spewing leases for his test domain all over.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

The best trick is to carry something heavy. If you're wearing a dumb looking uniform while using both hands to carry a heavy looking UPS or server, people will go out of their way to open doors for you.

Hold a clipboard and walk with purpose. You can get pretty much anywhere you want.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

It appears his month probate is up.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Docjowles posted:

this. Although I do fully expect him to get roaring drunk one day, shitpost in here, and finally get banned :pray:

My wife swears that I once told her a server is "a really big spinning hard disk". I'm pretty sure I never said any such thing, but whatever. For several years she thought my job consisted of sitting in a room watching for problems in oversize computers with giant record-sized disks spinning inside them.

This all came out when someone asked her what I do at a party, and she pretty much said exactly that. I went :stare: IRL.

My new go-to is "I work with supercomputers." People stop asking questions.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Aunt Beth posted:

I actually do work with supercomputers! I never realized how powerful a deterrent that word could be.

I used to have analogies ready to explain the scale of the machines, then I gave up and just started saying supercomputer. I'm guessing it has the same impact as saying "I'm the court alchemist" in the 1200s. Most people are detered by the thought of black magic and the occasional medicine woman (today's hobbiest) would start asking tons of questions you can just squash.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

SaltLick posted:

I am hot garbage at cover letter writing so I've considered just posting a job description on Craigslist and letting the cover letters come to me.

Im glad Im not the only one who considered this. During my last job search I honestly considered posting a job description for what I was trying to apply to to gauge the current level of competition and get ideas on cover letters/resumes. I ended up not because it felt kind of sleazy.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

MJP posted:

Since there's some folks in this thread who aren't in A Ticket Came In, I was at a convention this past weekend in DC that had table flipping for charity. For a few bucks more, they'd set the tables up with laptops amongst other stuff. When I asked them for all the laptops and all the tables they could give me, they offered to give me a hammer and 90 seconds on 'em for a few bucks more.

What followed was the complete venting of 10 years of professional IT.

They should do this at VFW halls or something.

Live the dream, man. How much did this set you backnet for charity?

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

evol262 posted:

It's like a relationship. It is a relationship with your employer. If you're not on the market, why are you interviewing? Would your girlfriend consider it unethical if you were on Tinder or some dating site?

Harems are relationships, too. You're not on the market, but you bet your rear end someone's swiping right while actively loving you.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Docjowles posted:

The first edition of this thread was a huge eye opener for me, too. I'm making almost double now what I was making at the time (which isn't to say I'm rolling in cash now so much as I was really, REALLY underpaid then) and working on way more interesting and enjoyable stuff. I'm part of an on-call rotation instead of being on duty literally 24/7/365. My coworkers generally enjoy coming to work rather than bitching about how everything is awful. I had always assumed those things were just kind of par for the course. Although to be fair, the place I was working was nowhere near as bad as some of the SH/SC horror stories.

So thanks goons for motivating me out of the rut I was in 3 years ago :v:

Here here. Thanks to this and the other two bitching threads, I've tripled my salary and lowered my compulsion to work 80 hours a week to prove myself for that 50 cent an hour raise that never shows up.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

evol262 posted:

Not really what the harem was about, but ok.

Your comment:

evol262 posted:

It's like a relationship. It is a relationship with your employer. If you're not on the market, why are you interviewing? Would your girlfriend consider it unethical if you were on Tinder or some dating site?

I found flawed in that you were comparing a working relationship with an employer to a monogamous committed relationship with an equally committed partner. I prefer to think of it more like a Harem, where the commitment expectation is 1 way from the owner's perspective, and while the concubine may have the delusion (or illusion) that the commitment exists the other way, it doesn't. While the expectation exists that the employee remain committed, the employer doesn't have any problem looking for faster, better, cheaper while giving you lip service about how times are tough or how the place would fall apart without you.

Edit to prevent :spergin:: When I say harem, I mean the western colloquial version that is more like a brothel than the traditional usage. Yes, it's not technically correct, but considering it's existed in common thought that way outside of academic circles for hundreds of years, meh.

Paladine_PSoT fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jan 29, 2015

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Apparently I have mod access to the group. like 16 backlogged requests approved.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

My greatest fear is that the ms big data system will become sentient, and its only frame of reference for developing a personality will be endless xbox live chat streams.

Skynet talks like a 14yo with aspergers and is a mysoginist and a racist.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

psydude posted:

I like and respect him, so I'll probably do that. I'm not worried about them giving me the boot, because they can still bill for me during the remaining two weeks and I've also been working on several projects that need to be handed over.

How did this go?

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

psydude posted:

Without issue. Boss, PM, and good coworker were all bummed, but weren't surprised with the recent implosion of the client's management and my federal coworker going off the deep on several occasions.

Quitting a job where you like the people is kind of like breaking up with someone.

"It's not you, it's me. We can still be friends, let's be the first to actually mean that."

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Sickening posted:

6: The candidate that smelled of marijuana so strongly that didn't get past the waiting room.

"proactive stress management skills". Put him in the "maybe" pile.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

What are you going to do if your top candidate is Maori?

I think it's safe to say 95% 99% of HR Americans would rather say "do not hire" than attempt to figure out what box to check on the EEO forms because they don't want to ask what a Maori is.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

PCjr sidecar posted:

Its dick trauma, with his luck he'll be what they blow up and break.

How do you think he earns his name?

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Drunk Orc posted:

Was just notified that another tech got a new job he will be leaving for on Friday, and that I get to drive between two buildings daily now to do both our jobs for the same pay until he is replaced. :eng99:

Just make sure if you're using your own car you can expense the mileage.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

No, IRS standard mileage is above the standard gas per mile rate to cover things like maintenance and wear and tear depreciation.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

I just got a call from the "System administration" department about my "windows computer". It was apparently sending a string of error messages to the "global monitoring service".

I trolled him for about 10 seconds before I got bored with it and launched into a profanity-laced tirade about what a terrible person he is. My inner moralist won, and apparently can scare sailors.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

I'm considering making the jump from software development PM to infra/MSP PM. How terrible is this thought?

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Only because I haven't found another job yet. I'll find out on Friday about one that I interviewed for. When I said weekend, I meant weekends that I have off. Past 5 when I'm not on call or on the weekend anytime when I'm not on call, I don't even pick up my phone.

edit: Oh yeah, if I don't get this job, I have a 19-day week coming up next month. Because I needed a day off to move, so instead of having us swap a day each, my boss put my coworker on call for two weeks straight, and then me on call for two weeks straight after that. I really hope I get this one, because the next best lead I have is a recruiter who contacted me two or three weeks ago, I haven't heard anything since, and his agency has a reputation for taking months.

okay maybe i missed something but the gently caress is a 19 day week?

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

I've been in a work coma for a year, did I miss anything?

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Alfajor posted:

Google was able to "break" SHA1:
https://security.googleblog.com/2017/02/announcing-first-sha1-collision.html?m=1

I wish they shared how many actual hours it took, or how they managed to run such a huge job. Did they just run it distributed across all their servers everywhere, using <10% of available CPU or something?

Large scale jobs like this are not all that hard, the problem is getting to scale. I have enough nodes in my systems at work to do this in about 3 days, less than .5 if I stitched together multiple clusters.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Sickening posted:

I lost my 2nd desktop person this week to another gig, which is normal thing. He left early in his 2 week notice without talking to me first which was surprising but not totally unexpected.

Our last day together I took him to lunch and let him tell me how much better his new gig with health care was and how much more interesting health care IT at a hospital is. I didn't want to burst his bubble so prematurely.

"Do you know what a speculum bucket is? No? Just curious."

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

How to destroy your liver:

1. Live in a country where Central Intelligence(tm) uses notepad loving plus plus as an attack vector
2. Manage a quarter million servers
3. Notice it all on St. Patrick's Day
4. Bushmills

Paladine_PSoT fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Mar 18, 2017

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If anyone has any experience onboarding as a government contractor for support, can you PM me?

I need to pick a lot of brains about the process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

The sperg is strong with this one...
https://medium.com/@wtfmitchel/how-to-get-fired-from-microsoft-part-1-cc2980d33bfe

If I didn't know better, I'd think that was Corvettefisher...