Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
In MA public schools, tech directors make 90-120k, network/sysadmins make 60-80k, and techs make 40k. But you're part of the pension/benefits program and get snow days so it's okay :)

Roargasm fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Aug 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me

spiny posted:

apropos of nothing, but making me smile:

https://twitter.com/SwiftOnSecurity

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I can't be the only one who has wasted way more time than necessary troubleshooting network issues when inbound ping was just blocked on the local firewall

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
Business casual in IT implies that I am not going to carry around printers or crawl under your desk.

When in doubt, "overdress" for the first interview, then dress down for the following ones if you felt awkward. Except one time, a 16-year old who does A/V for me wore a suit to an interview at McDonalds. He looked sharp but holy hell was it cringeworthy

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me

Hell yeah! Just hit 160k miles on my 05 coupe. I'm falling into the familiar trap where I want something fast now though :( The Focus ST looks pretty sweet, any specific reason you got rid of it Sepist?

edit: Oh you leased it.

Roargasm fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Aug 11, 2014

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
Comedy Bang Bang is really funny, Bill Simmons BS Report is awesome during football season, and This American Life is fantastic. I know there are some good security podcasts but I could never work on the way to work.

My car is more of a mobile karaoke platform :o:

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
If you could borrow money for college at a reasonable interest rate, it would be a no-brainer. At 6.8%, you really do have to run the numbers because it starts becoming more of an investment than an education. I was lucky enough to have my parents help pay for college, and I don't know where I'd be without it.

I graduated in December 2012, got my A+ the same month, a temp job in desktop support that week, (and was told I wouldn't have gotten the job without my BS), a full time offer in July '13, promoted to Sys Admin by November, now I'm on the fast track to IT manager. At no point has my employer praised my technical skills (I don't think anyone knows what I do), but they fall over themselves about my writing, productivity, and project management. I wouldn't have any of those "soft skills" without college, and I probably wouldn't have developed them working on help desk for the same amount of time.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
Congrats! To continue this trend, I cut over my first IP Office migration today and it didn't get totally hosed up :aaa:

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
But Raisinets are made with Real Fruit :(

Fitocracy is pretty cool for gamifying exercise if you're looking for some superfluous motivation

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I use ServerAuditor and it's really solid

e: With a bluetooth keyboard. The iOS software keyboard is so terrible.

Roargasm fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Aug 23, 2014

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me

Tailored Sauce posted:

My first job out of college was at a small start-up with 5 people, and we weren't paid overtime, but rather compensated with 5% commission on every job we did for a client. This was a regular, full-time job for me. We billed about $110 an hour, so I was see like an extra $5/hr. However, that was for jobs at clients were we had to bill them, this did not count for internal work (say for example, building a new ticketing system or setting up a network printer in our office). I was easily working 60 hours a week and honestly was too young/stupid to investigate if any of this was wrong and if I was not receiving a fair wage. Now that I think back...it sounds sketchy to me.

It could depend on how much you made. Positions above ~$25/hr salary equivalent in computer technology are exempt from overtime laws in the USA.

src: http://www.dol.gov/elaws/esa/flsa/screen75.asp

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
Computer Employee Exemption

The employee must be employed as a computer systems analyst, computer programmer, software engineer or other similarly skilled worker in the computer field performing the duties described below;

The employee’s primary duty must consist of:
The application of systems analysis techniques and procedures, including consulting with users, to determine hardware, software or system functional specifications;
The design, development, documentation, analysis, creation, testing or modification of computer systems or programs, including prototypes, based on and related to user or system design specifications;
The design, documentation, testing, creation or modification of computer programs related to machine operating systems; or
A combination of the aforementioned duties, the performance of which requires the same level of skills.

As a new sysadmin I only file for overtime if the work really sucks, and it's only a been a few times a year. I figured it's easier turning that work into a raise if you're known as a person who doesn't file for OT (which has been true so far for me :o:)

e: I usually only work 40-45 hours/week

Roargasm fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Sep 6, 2014

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
Hey all, could I get a value check on this IBM Series i5?

We currently have it listed as a public surplus item in Massachusetts if anyone is interested :ssh: It's about to go for a criminally low price if it's worth what I think it is

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me

OWLS! posted:

Well gently caress I am in mass. DIBS.

Cool, if you leave an email address I'll send you a link to the auction.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
Sounds good, you're looking for an auction ending in #945

Roargasm fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Sep 8, 2014

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me

Misogynist posted:

I knew a guy who had bike pedals under his desk. That was kinda weird. Don't be him.

They're pilot testing these with hyperactive children and are seeing significant benefits in achievement :o: Not that it's appropriate in the workplace, but in the absence of an exercise bike I sure wouldn't mind it. I pace and dance around my office all day and it helps me out big time. I have a convertible stand-up desk too

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
Google Apps' dashboard can kindly go gently caress itself. I don't mind lovely dashboards as long as you give me a good way to do batch operations or search through your data without mouseclicks. GApps does neither of course.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me

Tab8715 posted:

What should we be doing instead?

I'm just going to keep going Microsoft and hope they retain market share :tipshat: 2-3 years is a pretty solid track record, but any less established company can fold overnight for way too many reasons

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
403(b) crew :( 11% of my paycheck rots in a non-interest bearing account while it pays for pensions. It's for one of the better retirement systems in the country, but I really can't see myself doing 25+ years of public service to become eligible to get mine.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
Congrats! Show up on time every single day, work hard, and iron your clothes. Physically being there, showing up ready to pick up the phone, and being responsible for what you do are my most desired qualities in a new tech.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I spun up baby's first barebones CentOS 7 instance this weekend after learning system administration on Windows 2008R2/2012R2 (only hobbyist experience with Ubuntu 12.x LTS before that) and love it. I must have spent 8 hours on it so far doing hobby server stuff over the weekend. Systemd, you're cool. Firewalld, you're way cool. SELinux, you are hosed :mad: Every time I got confused or blocked from doing something, the answer seemed to have been "well, we didn't develop the package with SELinux on, so you probably shouldn't run it with it enabled."

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
Go with a professional. HR deals with so many applicants who use so many buzzwords and have so many certs that some departments just crtl-f through resumes looking for exactly what they want. Professionals (Like the R2I guy in SA-Mart) know what that something is. And I know it's harder to find time to apply for jobs working full time, but being a FTE somewhere makes you very desirable elsewhere. Just don't quit til you have something better lined up

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
Told a user that we couldn't support the printer he found because it was too old and way out of scope. Came in this morning and found this in my mailbox :tipshat:

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
Uptime is not the selling point of cloud service and I don't think that's the game you want to get into in your shop. In the absence of a backup line, your ISP is now a single point a failure. If you want redundancy, build two physical DCs. Even if the servers are crappy and had a 1% chance of exploding every day, the chance that DC1 AND DC2 would explode on the same day would be .01%. Same deal with network adapters on VM hosts - having a fallback adapter reduces the chance of simultaneous failure by a huge amount. When you're building an IT environment, identify points in your system that can fail and build redundancy.

This also applies to the fact that you're about to make yourself the Everything guy at your company, and there's probably no redundancy for you either :o:

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4Jakg2iN2c

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me

Tab8715 posted:

I'm in the Stanley VCP5 class that's online and I'm thinking making my own lab would be a good idea and I also need a HTPC. Why not combine the two? This ThinkServer Intel Xeon E3-1226 v3 looks ok and I'll put in 16GBs, single SSD and whatever video card.

My only concern, do I have to have the Xeon for just a ESXi lab?

EDIT - Hopefully this isn't too off-topic but I wasn't sure where else to post this :(

Absolutely not but the box is a great deal :shobon: Each version of ESX has a hardware compatibility list with a huge range of options. All you're looking for with Intel is a chip that supports VT which could even be the new Pentium. You would also want to make sure to pick up registered memory if you get a server board (the Lenovo above doesn't support it). It's probably rougher to learn, but you can install embedded ESX onto another virtual machine and do VM-ception without buying any new hardware

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
It's hard to get purchasing right these days with Dell being so disorganized. We're 90% mobile I can't find a standout OEM besides Apple. I do all of the purchasing here except for the copier leasing and the hundreds of staff laptops that we just handed out at once last year. Management bought those, the discontinued Vostros.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
That's where I've been buying my T440s and E440s from :) Love the T440 with the i5-4200u especially, but they always want to go cheaper on the bigger hardware purchases

edit: Dell.com sorts their user reviews for laptops by highest rating. Can't make this poo poo up

Roargasm fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Oct 20, 2014

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
Yeah, splitting your upstream into 50 different vlans is not a very good way to become a business class ISP. You would also have to manage the firewall configs for every single network individually to even joke about security

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
e: nvm

Roargasm fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Oct 24, 2014

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
Yeah, I assumed MDT was just WDS + some larger suite of tools instead of a separate thing. WDS is awesome though, look into it if you have a Windows Server license

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
He hopped in a frontend dev course and it sounded like he was skipping class :ssh:

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me

Inspector_666 posted:

How the hell are you supposed to move up in the world if you can only get jobs doing what you've already done?
Internal promotions, obviously

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
It's almost like some recruiters sell employers to prospects, and some sell prospects to employers :o:

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me

1:22pm EST, 10/31/14 :aaa:

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Anyone here work as a consultant or "infrastructure engineer" at a collocation for data centers? Had some interesting offers passed my way, seems like a good mix of private IT vs. public facing consulting/architecting. Kinda interested in what it's actually like.

Sounds loving awesome, but it's a day of the week ending in Y

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me

skipdogg posted:

I've been sitting through a presentation today and learned a new buzzword *~Hybridity~*

I'm glad I'm remote so I can bang my head against the desk without anyone seeing me.

*Azure team woots silently*

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
The first thing I did this morning was miss my mouth when I went to take a sip of coffee so bear with me here.

Can anyone help me trace mac addresses to a port on an Extreme switched L2/L3 network? I'm implementing a vlan for our IPCam network and need to find out where the cameras are coming into the access layer switches. The only local routes at the access layer are for my management vlan, so show fdb doesn't give me anything useful. I can pull up the full arp table, and see the mac addresses I'm looking for on the switch, but it's pointing me to the trunk port. Any way to find out where these things plug into the network without trial and error? All of the vlan routing is done at the main fiber switch and the environment is an x670 in the middle and fiber runs to x440s all around campus.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me

H.R. Paperstacks posted:

If Extreme doesn't support some type of Layer2-Trace, then you'll have to go hop-by-hop. If your core says it's on a trunk port, go to the switch on that trunk and repeat until you get a final local interface.

Oh my god I found eight cameras all run to a chained 8-port gigabit PoE switch + hub with 150+ meter cat5 runs, no wonder I couldn't find them on the adjacent switches :eng99: Thanks for the help, people are smart

Roargasm fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Nov 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me

Misogynist posted:

We got 70,000+ reblogs in a few hours from this Tumblr post. We crashed under the load for about 20-30 minutes until we were able to scale up on EC2 (which still isn't as automated as I'd like). There's worse reasons to crash than too many users, though!

Tonight I have to retool our whole metrics collection system, our log aggregation system, and our monitoring system, because none of them are able to cope with this much load and it makes everything that much worse. (I say "tonight" as though it will still be dark out when I go to sleep.)

So what's the plan to monetize? Tumblrites don't tend to have credit cards :(