Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

1000101 posted:

Managing cisco with Puppet right now is a bit of a kludge with limited device support. You need something that supports nx-api (or the OnePK comedy option) and bash or 'guestshell' which pretty much means 9k/3k.

My hope is that Cisco notices Ansible and develops some proper glue so I'm not limited to just 2 data center switch platforms. This is mostly for 2 reasons:

1. I don't want to have to deal with puppet proxy servers
2. You can't install an agent on catalyst switches, any router platform, firewalls, or the nexus 5k/7k platform

I don't think EMC has any devices currently that support being managed by Puppet and F5 requires a proxy box to send commands to the device.

edit:

Here's another guy working on some cisco extensions:
http://jedelman.com/home/ansible-for-networking/

it's just early for that kind of thing.

EMC's converged software defined storage solutions all have puppet support (written by emc), and this is also a (recent) thing .

There's also support for regular Cisco switches over telnet through a proxy ala the bigip support, which doesn't require nexus switches.

Proxy agents are annoying, but if it expands options, I can live with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

psydude posted:

Yeah wait we've had enough chat about divisive issues in the past few days.

What are y'all drinking? I just bought a bottle of Glenmorangie Port Cask.

The sherry cask is a little nicer IMO, but then you can get Aberlour A'bunadh.

The Sauternes is also interesting. But I'm really into Caribbean finishes lately (except the Angel's Envy, which is really meh, especially compared to Balvenie)

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Barracuda Bang! posted:

I know. Incredible, right?

It's kind of one note, but there are some really interesting peated (and mesquite smoked) American whiskeys showing up.

For scotch talk, I'm personally of the opinion that Oban (and especially Oban Little Bay) strikes a perfect balance.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Portland is in the middle of a major housing crunch too so expect to have a hard time finding a place unless you're making poo poo tons of money,
That's what happens when a bunch of 25 year olds want to move there without having work lined up, I guess. On the upside, other stuff in Portland isn't expensive. Just housing.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Time for another classic derail. How much PTO do you all get? I'm making more than I ever have before at my current job but only get 2 weeks of vacation and unlimited sick days (that is being sick, or out for a doctors appointment doesnt count towards PTO). The last job I had gave me 4 weeks right out of the gate and the job before that I got close to 2 months. I'm only going to be at this gig long enough to collect my yearly bonus and then want to start looking again for another job with more PTO. I would take a $5k paycut just to get another two weeks of PTO.
6 weeks currently. It's hard to even take it all, to be honest. Even though my manager is really supportive and approves whatever, we run small teams (and I work on multiple products, so there's concurrent timelines/deadlines), and I generally end up taking 2 weeks off a couple of times a year to travel.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Inspector_666 posted:

I'm gonna need a brand or something.

Westland is probably the peated whiskey that's easiest to find, but it's across the country from you. K&L has it, though, and they have distributors in NY.

Del Bac and Colkegan are both mesquite. Colkegan is a little better, and Del Bac is barely available outside of NM/AZ as far as I know, but somebody probably ships it.

But everything by Lost Spirits is fantastic, including their rums. But especially the whiskeys. And they're not expensive. I have no idea what their distribution is like in NY, but again, K&L comes to the rescue. K&L's search sucks, though, so just trawl google. They might be the best distillery in the US.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

CLAM DOWN posted:

Also, craft beer > all your garbage liquors

Why not both?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
At least we can agree that taking video games/video game journalism like it's serious business or even journalism is idiotic.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

FISHMANPET posted:

Oh hey, someone else trying to shoehorn agile methodologies into sysadmin work!

I went through quite a bit of that as I tried to implement ~literally any form of project management whatsoever~ and ended up with a kind of pseudo kanban. The important thing to remember is that 99% of the advice you're going to find is about software development. A single team will work on a single project and so the entirety of their work can end up on a single board. There's also much less reactive work in development than there is in IT work (especially if you're putting user requests into your work pipeline).

Maybe it's the development model here (standups at least weekly upstream, tickets filed for RFEs, etc), but I find Cantas/Trello more trouble than they're worth as a single team working on a single project. Probably they're more valuable for our PMs who are trying to make some sense out of 6+ teams working on one layered product, but I don't know.

I would have killed for it as a systems engineer doing work that involved database/dev teams, though, to let me know what their status was on various issues for upcoming projects. Dev almost always waited until a week before the deadline to start making progress, and I suspect they didn't even start on it until then (because of other issues or whatever), but I never knew.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

GOOCHY posted:

Be that as it may, the term hadn't been widely used until maybe just a few years ago.

Use of language changes, especially as people become aware of terminology which better expresses their thoughts.

Like so much of the other "SJW" stuff (air quotes for internet definition), it's a legitimate thing which gets co-opted by a bunch of other behaviors which may or not be applicable, but are definitely part of internet victim complex. Not to de-legitimize or True Scotsman things, but some people just want to be victims of persecution, real or perceived/invented. It's a real feeling from them, but it's a new phenomenon (using sociological terms to describe assholes), and the situation is evolving .

Don't get ruffled about it. Things will settle out one way or another.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Nintendo Kid posted:

Just use ipv6. :smug:

God, please. I'm so sick of janky HE tunneling, even though it works. Why can't I register a AAAA address with a lot of registrars? Why does Cox not provide native ipv6 in TYOOL 2015?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Methanar posted:

I'm not responding to this request for help, if he continues I'll push some ridiculous $$ number at him.

Boat money. And don't cave to your wife like Sickening.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Woogles posted:

Who do we think's going to win in the centralised config management wars, anyway? Puppet, Chef, Ansible, Salt, something else?

Why do you think there has to be a winner? They're all good at different things, and they all have some overlap.

What'll win is something which blows them all out, in the same way cfengine is dying.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Bhodi posted:

Some of you guys are too young to remember the first boom and bust around the millennium, but this stuff comes in waves and right now we're at a crest.

I remember it, and this isn't the same. Companies need to at least sort-of have a business plan to get funded now.

There'll be a glut of talentless people who can't figure out how normal businesses work, or who have very limited skillsets (because they were chasing the "winner" of tooling "wars" instead of learning how to get poo poo done, or following the LinkedIn "rewrite everything every couple years in whatever's cool" design philosophy). Skilled people won't have problems.

The bay has soaked up a lot of talented people, and a lot of hacks, and a lot of idiots who get hired anyway because there's that much of a talent crunch. That shakes out. It's Austin and Portland to worry about.

But a presumptive bubble bursting isn't the end of the world, and many of the people here will be fine, because we're not HackerNews or /r/sysadmin

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Bhodi posted:

Pretend I just posted a dozen SF startup links of <delivery> but for <product>.

Somebody still has to fund those (and keep funding them past seed), which needs more of a business model than "we'll make a website where you can buy stuff!", then letting Boo.com or Pets.com squander hundreds of millions of dollars in a couple of months.

Yes, it's a bubble and hype factory. No, it's not as bad as 1998.

Woogles posted:

I like to picture IT ecosystems as replicas of Thunderdome: x things enter, 1 thing leaves. Now I freely admit this isn't realistic but it helps me get through the day.

They aren't, though. All config management systems have their own pros and cons. Pick one and use it.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Sushi The Kid posted:

Been on nights at a DC\NOC for 8 years. Kill me.

Honestly, the onus is on you. Find a new job, dude.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I'm OK with powershell but thats about it. I dont even know where to start with API's or cloud native anything.

Want to do something? Google "powershell VMware" or ".net foo". There's probably a binding, or the vendor has a rest/jsonrpc/whatever service that does the heavy lifting instead of you doing it all yourself. Congrats, you're using an api. It's really easy once you get used to asking " has someone else already done what I'm trying to do? Can I leverage that? Does the vendor do it themselves?"

Tab8715 posted:

With the Cloud, how much of this is necessary? Your users don't need fat applications, hell they don't even necessarily need a domain all they know is they type contoso.portal.com into whatever web browser on any device and they're ready to work. All of the applications/database are run on whichever cloud and the redundancy/fault-tolerance is already built-in to the platform. Hardware outages, cyclical hardware upgrades and network/virtualization troubleshooting. I can't speak for all cloud providers but it even potentially it gets rid of the headaches associated with software licensing as each SaaS/IaaS instance already includes the licensing cost and while this piece is over my head IT is now a Operational Expenditure not Capital which makes management/accounting happy.

This is great (in the end), but lots of apps (especially on IaaS v SaaS) end up needing/wanting some kind of federated auth anyway, so your users don't need 30 accounts to use everything. You can shunt it to a hosted service, but the requirements just move budget categories, and IT ends up doing the same stuff with different tools. Some changes, but it's more an evolution than a sea change

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Tab8715 posted:

Why? As far as I'm aware, both cities have a had strong Tech presence but how is that any different than the Bay Area which is more or less the same thing?

Silicon valley is silicon valley. Developing/immature markets (Raleigh, Austin, Portland) whose infrastructure is also heavily based in startups are gonna suffer. Seattle, NYC, NoVA, and other areas have established scenes. Even the mecheng stuff in Austin has a lot of startup/vc stuff.

If the bubble pops and the bay gets cheap (relative to now), there's no reason to push out elsewhere, and it collapses in again.

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

I always wonder how well it would work if a single vendor just decided "gently caress it, we're going to develop this Application and we're going to do it right. Hire a few dudes from Apple and get them on the UI piece. Get a couple of those IT geeks to figure out the most efficient coding standard to write this in."
For as much work as they put into it, Apple's UX isn't as great as it used to be. Partly because they don't do anything incentive anymore.

More to the point, it doesn't work for a lot of industries. Apple products (and Google stuff, sometimes) is:

Which is "friendly" and "efficient" for people who aren't familiar with the app in question, or who have simple workflows (find X, etc). And there are definite improvements in some lob stuff, especially EMR. But things like banking are incredibly efficient. It seems dumb to you to have every F key mapped to something to swap through menus like it's WordPerfect. But it's like vi. Someone who knows all the hotkeys (which a lot of tellers do) is amazingly fast, and redesign costs thousands/millions in retraining, lost productivity, etc.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

i'm oversimplifying of course, but I'm mostly referring to the efficiency of the software itself moreso than the UI. You're absolutely right in that my experience is going to be different from a teller that knows the terminal interface inside out, but the way the software behaves and operates (update rollouts, failure behaviors, data synchronization, etc.) are often baffling.

Most banking software I've seen seems to understand cold exactly how a user is intended to operate within it and intentionally makes it as painful as possible to do so. I've seen things like "hitting tab while in a blank field breaks the form and you have to relaunch the application" type of stuff that I don't understand how it makes it into the wild. And it isn't unique to a single vendor.

I'm speaking from the "in-house engineering supporting/managing/upgrading systems which run banking software used by tellers", but I can say that rolling out updates, synchronizing data, etc is stuff that we (and dev, and qa) paid a lot of attention to. A hard requirement on the "upgrade remote systems from rhel4-5/5-6" bits I did was the ability to roll back, even days after the fact, like nothing happened. Except the transactions on the branch server needed to be scraped in case they hadn't made it back to the central systems yet.

Software with bad failure cases is everywhere. Even OSX. Especially OSX. All over the place. My wife's family is Apple fanboys/girls. Did you know there are a ton of common bugs? Like upgrading destroying resource forks, so any kind of file dialog which touches that folder (~/Desktop is common) will hang the finder (or whatever is using the chooser) forever? I do. Because it's happened multiple times, to multiple people, on multiple OSX versions. But :apple:, so their support reps just say to reinstall (moving the files from the affected folder and back recreates resource forks and fixes it -- doing this is buried on their support forums).

All software is bad software.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Segmentation Fault posted:

Probably something to do with machine learning.

Big data would have done that. Machine learning is hard, which makes it a bad fad.

Think of it this way:

The math problems you had as a kid that were like "a banana costs 5c and 10 calories, an apple is 10c and 40 calories, a candy bar is 25c and 100 calories. You have $2.65. What's the most amount of calories you can get?"

It's a variation of the knapsack problem, which is NP-complete. It's also a basic machine learning problem. Go Google "knapsack genetic algorithm $language_you_know", then tell me machine learning is easy enough to be a fad.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

KS posted:

Stateless servers.

1. Describe a state for what you want your physical hosts to look like. That includes connected NICs and VLANs, boot config, and even firmware levels for BIOS and NICs.
2. Assign that template to new hardware and make consistent hosts easily.
3. If you have a hardware failure, a replacement blade can assume that service profile, matching NIC config and firmware levels with a few clicks.

It is light years ahead of other blades

To be fair, there are other management platforms that can do this (and PXE them). Foreman comes to mind, but I'm sure there are others. It's not as well integrated as UCS, mostly because the switchport config has to be done separately, but you can get mostly there with free stuff.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Tab8715 posted:

What was said earlier is more-or-less accurate but what I find funny and interesting is did Cisco really just come out of nowhere with UCS? Where they even making servers/blades/nodes until a few years ago?

The first gen UCSes were terrible. We had to use packaging tape on ours because the blades would vibrate themselves out.

However, the convergence of everything you needed to run a VMware cluster was a magical bridge to cross. HP probably could have done it (or Dell), but somebody at Cisco got a light bulb, and it was a killer idea.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Danith posted:

What is a DevOps environment? I have an interview coming up and in the job description it says "...familiar with a DevOps environment." At my current place we have a dev team and an ops team on the opposite side of the building and interactions are basically "Hey (dev), blah broke here's the log, ticket number XX" and "hey ops, restart failed job". Am I working in DevOps?

Real talk - I wiki'd it. Guess it has something to do with Agile development. I don't think we do any of that here

Real talk - 99% odds they're not doing it either, and they think "sysadmin+config management" (or maybe sysadmin+scripting) means "DevOps environment!" Don't sweat it.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Vulture Culture posted:

Not going to copy and paste the whole thing again, but here's everything you need to know to not be a dingus for your interview:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3467608&pagenumber=191&perpage=40#post446464725

It deserves to be said again -- this is a great post.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Docjowles posted:

If your company uses any sort of predictable formula for generating email addresses, you're already on the list anyway. I was at my new job like 3 days before sales people were blindly emailing me about random poo poo. I figure they looked up my employer on LinkedIn and just took an educated guess at what my email would be? It's certainly not published anywhere or linked to my LI account. But also trivial to figure out if you have my full name.

I love getting emails where they pretend I subscribed to their lovely marketing list.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

RFC2324 posted:

Why would you start over at square one? Learn dev, do one of them devops jobs for a bit so you can leverage your sysadmin experience into a decent position that also gives you dev type experience, then stop the ops part out when you change jobs again.

I switched at 30. Your skills at doing systems stuff make you more valuable. Definitely not square one.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
Security is defense in depth. Removing layers will always make it weaker. It's pretty much that simple.

Firewalls are good. "I have a firewall so NAT doesn't offer anything" is tough, though. Better to have both sometimes. I like having publicly routable stuff, but it's a huge annoyance to worry about edge firewalls along with client firewalls, and whether whatever API I'm hitting actually talks ipv6 and sees some address that isn't in a security group. That'll probably get better as adoption slowly picks up.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
Armistice was 1918, which effectively ended it, but reparations/etc were hashed out later (19), after propaganda ministries from all the players tried to blame others for the war. Paris 1919 is a great book if you're interested in it

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
Autoit works. Or it's trivial to get HWND then get a handle to buttons (and press them) with any win32 api.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Colonial Air Force posted:

I had a junior dude literally say to me, "I know I could just Google it, but it's faster if I just ask you."

It would take 5 seconds for me to answer, but then he'd never learn how to actually research an issue and fix it. Teach a man to fish, you know?

Also, don't encourage laziness.

Maybe he'd rather ask you because you can explain why as well as how. Part of mentoring juniors is also getting them to understand why, so they know how to fish, and where to look if deeper problems come up. Google doesn't give exposition.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Colonial Air Force posted:

No. He wanted to ask me because he was lazy, and he didn't care that I was busy doing other things.

It was a general statement about why seniors mentoring people may want to answer easily google-able questions anyway, not a specific one about that specific junior.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Methanar posted:

Resume chat:

I'm going to crosspost this from BFC because I trust your opinions more than BFC's.

I want to try and explain the significance of all the important stuff I did at my last job but it feels extremely verbose to me. I use vague words like significant quite a bit because I don't have a way of quantifying how big a change was, perfect example is when I was talking about WSUS. I just made those numbers up by assuming 250mb per computer for windows/office/etc updates every month. I got the 99% from reducing 120 machines pulling over the WAN to just WSUS.

If anyone has any ideas on how to make my explanations less wordy and vague I'd be happy to see them.

Think of it like fishing.

I wouldn't even use like "modernize", because it carries bad connotations about your predecessor and whether you think you know better than the business. It was modernizing, but let the person reading the resume make inferences.

Deploying VMware is good. How much did it save in (hardware, cooling, power, whatever)? Did they have an environment before? Did you do this from scratch?

Apply that elsewhere. You got the right idea with projects/accomplishments instead of duties, but missed what they accomplish for the business.

Scrap the forklift driver. It's not even remotely relevant to jobs you want. I'd also skip your GPA for an AA (and in general, unless you're applying for jobs at NY financials or something).

The WSUS bit is close. Just make it less judge-y. No mundane. You dramatically reduced bandwidth. You also implemented centralized control over it, which is important.

As mentioned, leave room for questions. If you need to fill up room, you can put down duties or small projects. Not everything is huge. What daily stuff did you do which improved the business? Cleanup and automation with powershell? Powercli? Cleaning up vlans? Have at it.

inb4 someone calls me a business shill. Understanding where your role fits into the needs of the company you work for is important, and a valuable resume/interview/life skill

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
Many large companies just have recruiters crawl LinkedIn these days. I don't like to make absolutist statements, but any company which expects me to post things into a web-based form is going to get ignored for job postings.

That said, maybe, just being honest about your values and why you left your previous employer (even if you put a spin on it so you don't end up in a variation of this) leads to better outcomes than trying to game the process. Hiring managers understand leaving a company, as long as you don't trash talk it.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Tab8715 posted:

The EMC/VMware buyout at first makes sense, Dell solidifies it's position into SMB/Enterprise market that isn't shrinking - or is it? Storage and Virtualization are quickly becoming commodities.

What am I missing here?

Somebody has to sell the hardware those commodities run on, and high volume, low profit has been Dell's plan for a long time. They can sell full stack alongside Cisco and Oracle now

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

NippleFloss posted:

Nah, routine on call folks are generally going to be mid level admins. Senior folks with specialized, in-demand skills have enough leverage to ask that they not be awakened for all but the direst of emergencies.

Seconding this. Past the mid-level roles, you get called less and less (other than DBAs). Escalated to, maybe, but that's rare.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
ssh is totally fine. Use fail2ban if password auth is on (which it shouldn't be, at least on something public-facing)

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
Client certs. And you can trigger scripts on event log actions, so powershell to add firewall rules on failed logins should be really easy. Or there are 3rd party tools, of course.

But you should just use an RDP gateway and configure it properly

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Karthe posted:

What's a good way of determining how much I should be making given the work I currently do and my work experience?

Interview. Give salary requirements in line with what you think you'd be happy with. See how it goes. Maybe you're grossly underpaid. Maybe you're a little underpaid. Maybe not at all. We don't know how much you make, your experience level, or your skill level with anything. Go feel out the market.

Getting fixated on the idea that you "should" be making some amount of money (which will probably be a little inflated, and which you may not get anyway if you're a bad negotiator, interviewer, or not as good as you think you are) isn't a great idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Tab8715 posted:

:krad:

Is there a way to prove this behavior is occurring? I suppose I could just snoop the loopback interface or is there something in the local routing table that'll show this behavior?

It won't touch the routing table at all. Or loopback. It'll pass through the virtual switch. You could set up mirroring there, but the easiest way to "prove" it is that virtual switch traffic is CPU bound, and will exceed physical speeds. Do a trivial ftp transfer (of a large file) and clock it. It'll probably be 10G+ on a gigabit "adapter"