Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PCjr sidecar
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Daylen Drazzi posted:

Four words come to mind - Goon. In. A. Well (okay, three words and a vowel). For God's sake someone take away his loving shovel.

a is a word

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PCjr sidecar
Jan 26, 2011

Misogynist posted:

In reference to the initial question, you should never "count on" a bonus for the purposes of long-term financial planning. The company isn't contractually obligated to pay you anything at the end of the year. It's good to have, and spend it or invest it as you see fit, but don't stick the bonus into your mortgage budget unless it's for paying down extra principal.

I saw a documentary about the stress that counting on bonuses can put on your mental well being and how it can negatively affect your family. I think it was called National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation.

PCjr sidecar
Jan 26, 2011

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

Out of curiosity, what do you guys who don't work a ticketing queue do for tracking your tasks\time management?
I've taken to whiteboarding stuff, it sorta works. Sometimes I wish I had a queue but then people would just dump stuff in it.

For some reason it's always incredibly busy or pretty dead. This past week was incredibly busy. It gets me kind of panicky and anxious, and every time I check my email there's a new initiative of something or other that's another hour or two of work for me.

I'm having a hell of a time with it, and I just need to remind myself realistically I'm not even backed up more than a few days.

Trello's not bad if you've read a bit on kanban (or even if you haven't.)

PCjr sidecar
Jan 26, 2011

I'd guess that'd cost about fifteen million merits.

PCjr sidecar
Jan 26, 2011

psydude posted:

Management is freaked out by Shellshock and wants us to stop running FreeBSD and switch to RHEL despite the fact that it's the foundational OS behind our proprietary packet capturing system. And also despite the fact that FreeBSD is more secure than Linux.

Heh, bash isnt even in the FreeBSD base.

PCjr sidecar
Jan 26, 2011

Tab8715 posted:

One of my previous gigs asked for 3 paystubs from my last 3 jobs - 9 total. I asked, I was told that it was for "employee verification". I was inexperienced and caved (still got the salary I wanted) but that said - not that I would ever do this - what's stopping me from just manipulating my paystub? I'm pretty confident that your previous employer won't give out salary info, it's not like they would ever know.

In other news, HP is splitting and I can't even believe this is eliminating 50,000+ employees.

Just blank out anything but your name and the employer's name before you send it.

PCjr sidecar
Jan 26, 2011

Grouchio posted:

My Assignment (Image Demonstration): (Example page) http://thing.cs.usm.maine.edu/~zane...ages/images.pdf

(Evalutation Page) http://thing.cs.usm.maine.edu/~zane...n/demospecs.htm

Due Date: Tuesday Night.

My Average Grade in this class: F

What I currently have: file:///C:/Users/Ian/Documents/Ian_html2/image_demonstrations.html (search the link)

My amount of patience: Long gone.

Ian.

Ian.

The click click of the lobster's claws, high in their perches in the maple trees are calling, Ian. Darkness nears; syrup-drunk moose stagger in blueberry bogs, pursued by moon-mad malamutes. You will find no shelter in server-side includes and no warmth in coffee brandy. Garb yourself in Bean, head with the masses to the drowned coast and pray to lose yourself in the masses so when it comes it sates itself on them before it reaches you.

PCjr sidecar
Jan 26, 2011

Grouchio posted:

@PCjr what do you have against maine? Nevermind that, what are you trying to say?

a cold wind blows in
anime pup seeks snow den
finds no succor here

PCjr sidecar
Jan 26, 2011

syg posted:

Have a bit of a career dilemma here. I've been working for a large manufacturing company for about 8 years now. I've gone from helpdesk to sysadmin to syseng and am the most senior technical person in the company now, responsible for all infrastructure (networking, vmware, storage, security, linux) as well as budgeting, vendor management, future planning, etc. We are undertaking a large networking project involving all of our plants, which is going to generate a lot of networking work for me and also allow me to specialize a bit.

My CIO has decided to hire another engineer to work under me, and he wants to know if I want to specialize in networking, and hand off the other infrastructure roles to the new guy. Or if we should hire a generalist with close to my skill level and I could hand a little bit of everything off to him and still continue to be a generalist myself. I'm feeling like I'm in a weird position now, because while I want to specialize, I also like the idea that currently, if I had to leave the company, I have experience in several areas and finding a new job would be easier. Where specializing could make my options lesser. I'm really torn because I've always wanted to specialize, and I find networking really interesting. After a decade of being pretty good at everything, the idea of being an expert in one or two areas is appealing, but not if it comes at the cost of my job security.

If you were in my shoes which option sounds better? Pay is the same either way. I'd continue my "soft duties" like budgeting and vendor management either way, and still dictate direction to the other engineer even in areas that he is taking over operations of.

ABS. Always Be Specializing. In IT, generalists are a dime-a-dozen. You have the experience to do a generalist role if you can't find anything in your specialty; it's easier to pivot from specialization to a generalized role, and your specialized knowledge will give you an edge for generalized positions that require that expertise. It may be harder to find job postings in your specialization in your geographic area, but at the level you're at, your network should be sufficient to find work. It also sounds like you're well positioned to stay competent in areas that are not in your specialty.

PCjr sidecar
Jan 26, 2011

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Embrace it and thank him for opening your eyes to a superior typing system

I'm into some pretty obscure keyboard layouts. You probably haven't heard of them.

PCjr sidecar
Jan 26, 2011

psydude posted:

Speaking of typing systems, can someone explain to me why vi's input and hotkeys make no loving sense? Is it some sort of leftover poo poo from the glory days of ARPANET that *nix neckbeards refuse to let go of so they seem legit? Or is there an actual good reason why it's remained completely goddamned different from every modern text editor that's come about over the past 20 years?

vi chat? this is about to hit archives:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/sh...hreadid=3552945

PCjr sidecar
Jan 26, 2011

Nintendo Kid posted:

Well it stopped being natural touch typing positions a while ago once keyboards started changing. Of course some people do remap normal keyboards to match up with the old ADM3:

Caps-as-Control is a better location for Control and more useful than Caps Lock.

quote:

Really though, isn't VI part of the POSIX specs or something?

Eh; it is, but like most of POSIX you can have a POSIX-compliant system without it.

PCjr sidecar
Jan 26, 2011

evol262 posted:

Really, nobody cares about installation. It's something you do once (or with automation as a non-entry level worker) and forget about it. Configuration is 99% of Linux, so I wouldn't put that ton either (it's basically configured out of the box except for whatever's running on it).

A friend of mine with > 5 years of Linux/Solaris sysadmin experience and a resume that reflected it left Solaris installation off of his resume and a local MSP rejected him because of his lack of experience with installing Solaris.

PCjr sidecar
Jan 26, 2011

Zero VGS posted:

Before I started working at this place we were buying the best salespeople some 3rd gen i7 laptops. I'm like hey let's get 4th gen i5 laptops from now on, you'll save $800 each laptop and have a better screen and the performance should be about identical, and the CFO was thrilled.

Naturally I get them in today and the sales manager is like "Why can't we get 4th Gen i7? My people NEED them! We should get the best money can buy!"

We run Office365, Webex, and Salesforce. That's it. He's flipping his poo poo right now and trying to track down the CFO.

IT'S ONE MORE GEN!!!

PCjr sidecar
Jan 26, 2011

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

nah I probably won't post here anymore so don't worry about it; I have no reason to post here so just forget it... Lurking from now on.

I like to lurk but KC green, moot, garry, etc; were right when you do 12$/oz because people want to talk to you who cares? I won my battles; and I did what I needed.

If I post after this post in this thread: permaban me really do not care

If you perma yourself here how will you yourself when you don't make vMWare Turbo Architect Super Saiyan?

PCjr sidecar
Jan 26, 2011

FWIW, I've been pretty happy with nxlog as a shipper: http://nxlog-ce.sourceforge.net/ and http://nxlog-ce.sourceforge.net/nxl...nce-manual.html . I haven't used its Windows eventlog input but it looks like other people are:

https://gist.github.com/stuart-warren/6726081
https://gist.github.com/mrlesmithjr...836b9ce162373ed

PCjr sidecar
Jan 26, 2011

thebigcow posted:

i got a really high quality knockoff of windows server from ebay

What is this, 2006? Everybody knows the best knockoffs are on aliexpress these days.

PCjr sidecar
Jan 26, 2011

Potato Alley posted:

Yeah, because it was a gigantic steaming pile of poo poo, and still is. I don't disagree with the motive and ideas - accessing the client from anywhere without a 500 MB app download/install (especially one that has to be reinstalled for every point update) is an excellent goal. But Flash is not good enough, and HTML 5 was a pipe dream at the time they started making the client. I don't care if I can access the client from anywhere if the client sucks and is vastly slower than what it replaced. And to be honest we were 100% VMware on our clients and that was basically the push to start moving people to VMware if they didn't have large VM environments. (That plus the absolutely asinine small matter of VMware forgetting that people who use ESXi Free do not have VCenter, and consequently do not have the web client, and thus cannot manage their hosts, especially once they upgraded the VM hardware to version 10 and didn't release a version of the C# client that could manage those VMs. Oh what's that VMware? I've faithfully upgraded ESXi and my VM hardware versions and now I can't do jack poo poo with my VMs and you expect my 5 person client to drop 600 smackers for VSphere Essentials? How about you get hosed).

Just turn on the ssh server and use the CLI. HTFU and get on my greybeard level.

PCjr sidecar
Jan 26, 2011

evol262 posted:

Let me know how to turn on RDP from a VMX so I don't need the console, pls.

Only the VMX? Attach a bootable DVD that has a network/remote access enabled, flip the setting. Can I touch the VMDK? Attach the VMDK to another VM that you already have RDP access to and turn it on. Use a group policy in AD. Enable it in the provisioning process. Turn it on in the node's Puppet manifest. Use the Windows EMS and the CLI. Use WinRS. SSH in using the cygwin sshd. Use vmware guest console out of labs to run the command to enable it.

(most of these are terrible.)

PCjr sidecar
Jan 26, 2011

skipdogg posted:

Does Lenovo have an equivalent to Dell gold support? Or is it all mail in service to the depot? NBD onsite techs rule.

they do nbd onsite but i have had some real poo poo experiences with lenovo support

PCjr sidecar
Jan 26, 2011

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

Edit: As a side note, change management in general. Where I work, they have implemented a lot of ITIL processes. It seems to work really well for the applications team. Changes are requested, reviewed by a team and the larger team to assess risks, and applied to a test environment, and eventually all those changes are bundled into a release for production. Does that really work from a systems engineering perspective? The changes I make, no one else would understand or really approve or disapprove. Like putting in a new SIP - T1 VOIP gateway for faxing to replace an older model that is having issues. I install it following the manual, test it, then put it in production. Or, I did a bunch of AIX hardware migrations. Migrated the test system first, then production systems. I have no peers to bounce these things off of. Our team is under fire for not following the larger organizations' processes. But they don't seem to make sense for our team. Our changes are a lot less wide reaching, they affect single systems, and are more or less vendor supplied. There's nothing to bundle or release, most changes are standalone. The only thing that probably is important is that we track dates for when changes are made, if something does break we can tie it back to a change.

ITIL CM can work well in systems engineering. It's a risk management process. The point of the exercise is to demonstrate that you've thought about the process and are prepared for likely problems and are prepared to mitigate the impact to business. The board doesn't have to be your equivalents; it's better if there are different viewpoints. You should be able to describe those processes so that a Windows sysadmin and a developer can understand it.

PCjr sidecar
Jan 26, 2011

There is real benefit to having a large, liquid, readily-available workforce, even if you have to pay 3 times what you would pay in Des Moines. It's also good to have easily-available capital locally. Network effects and return to scale causing industry concentrations in geographic regions aren't just a valley thing.

PCjr sidecar
Jan 26, 2011

Docjowles posted:

While this is true, good luck picking the 0.001% of startups that get bought for billions by Facebook/Google/MS. You have about as good a chance of simply winning the lottery.

And even then, unless you were a founder or very early employee, you're not going to be in the group buying private Carribean islands. You could still make out well, but not "obscenely" well.

The best advise I've heard about working for startups is that you shouldn't take options in exchange for below-market wages unless you're a founder. If they don't have funding to pay you a market rate they probably don't have the funding to execute. If they do get funding, it will probably reduce the value of your options significantly.

PCjr sidecar
Jan 26, 2011

Tab8715 posted:

How come?

Literally the next sentence that you quoted.

To restate:
if they can't pay you market, they're not serious (can't get angel/seed/vc funding and unlikely they'll make it to acquisition/IPO.)
If they can pay you market but are choosing not to now, why would you think they would pay you in the future, when every dollar they pay you for your options is a dollar that comes out of the founders and the funders' pocket?

PCjr sidecar
Jan 26, 2011

flosofl posted:

Do they blow stuff up? It looks like they blow stuff up or break things.

You may be the new Sr. VP at the coolest place ever.

Its dick trauma, with his luck he'll be what they blow up and break.

PCjr sidecar
Jan 26, 2011

Misogynist posted:

Some fucksticks from EMC pulled this poo poo on me 6 or 7 years back, claiming I had signed up for some product demo during a previous cold call. There were like 4 of them on the phone with a WebEx ready to go.

Operating on 60% margins gives you the freedom to do things like this.

PCjr sidecar
Jan 26, 2011

Alder posted:

hi

I want to work for IT but I hate college is it hopeless? I'm already 23

What do you hate about college?

PCjr sidecar
Jan 26, 2011

evol262 posted:

As a publicly identifiable member of a public company which has a lot of angry Linux people writing mean things to other angry Linux people on the internet all day, I don't worry about this at all. Nor have I heard of anyone else worrying about it (with rare exceptions like Lennart Poettering and our most senior release engineering guy, who refuses to even release his public GPG key just in case somebody ever finds a way to reverse the private from it). You could probably connect my SA username to my real name in less than 60 seconds if you cared.

You're fine.

E: it's first page of Google.

This is less true if you're not male or work for an employer who isn't as inured to Internet Drama as Red Hat.

On the other hand, if they have your LinkedIn information, a photo attached isn't going to substantially change your exposure.

PCjr sidecar
Jan 26, 2011

if you don't actually use it, Ting is pretty cheap as a T-Mo or Sprint MVNO, and you can get a new Nokia GSM candybar for $25 off of Amazon; smartphones aren't that much more expensive.

PCjr sidecar
Jan 26, 2011

Hungry Computer posted:

I found a feather in the box for a new Dell monitor, no idea what kind but it looks like a large down feather. I wonder what happened to the rest of the bird

Probably living/nested in the factory/warehouse's rafters.

I still tell the story about finding a dead giant cockroach in a JBOD's packaging drop-shipped from the manufacturer. It gets interesting reactions.

PCjr sidecar
Jan 26, 2011

angry armadillo posted:

she did say there would be feedback after the hiring process so I hope that can be a 2 way deal

Nope!

PCjr sidecar
Jan 26, 2011

Supermicro is fine if you buy through a vendor/reseller with a good support team or you have the staff to handle the validation, diagnostics, and supply-chain management.

PCjr sidecar
Jan 26, 2011

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I'm uncomfortable with it to a certain extent on principle, maybe I'd feel better if it was 100% free, but physicals and vaccinations are a really good idea and I don't think it's the end of the world to make them a condition for receiving insurance.

If you're not going to take the most basic preventive steps, why should they foot the bill for when you get a serious condition?

Yearly physicals have no impact on health outcomes: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/...59EEA384.d01t02; requiring them is an example of why I'm deeply uncomfortable with someone in HR or management with no health care knowledge making decisions about what is appropriate medical care instead of the patient, doctor, or public health expert, but that's hardly new.

PCjr sidecar
Jan 26, 2011

Bhodi posted:

i just read the summary and that's not precisely true. It basically said that it's pointless because heart disease and cancer are the two leading killers and yearly assessments didn't do poo poo on those two fronts, discounting, and this is a big one, additional referrals and surgeries. That last point along with the huge amount of caveats makes over generalizations like saying it's pointless or even harmful really misleading. You have to be careful with meta-study findings, they're often too narrow to be taken at face value without additional support

No change in overall mortality or morbidity. If they're generating additional referrals and surgeries those procedures don't result in better outcomes.

lampey posted:

They are not denying healthcare without a physical. It is just required to get the employer contribution.

They're refusing to pay for coverage. Unless your position is that health care is affordable without health insurance, it's the same thing.

PCjr sidecar
Jan 26, 2011

Bhodi posted:

debilitating but non-fatal conditions that can be improved don't show up at all, nor do issues not heart disease or cancer related. and those are likely to be the vast, vast majority of cases diagnosed via yearly checkups.

Can you show me studies that show improved outcomes from early detection of non-fatal but debilitating conditions from physical examinations?

PCjr sidecar
Jan 26, 2011

I recently got a notification in the mail from my insurance company that they'd reviewed a claim for a checkup from my primary care physician (submitted two years ago) and rejected one of the services billed.

It was a 1 cent charge.

To calculate my BMI.

PCjr sidecar
Jan 26, 2011

Vulture Culture posted:

I'd reject that too, that doesn't sound like a legitimate billable service whatsoever.

Of course it's not, and I understand why it happened. It's just amusing to me that a) the dr's office put it on a line item b) the insurance company initially paid it c) they reviewed it two years later and decided it was non-covered, and d) mailed me a 20c letter letting me know that it was non-covered.

quote:

Are you joking? They do diabetic foot exams in basically everyone who's seriously overweight. You detect diabetes before the patient's toes become gangrenous and have to come off. I'm literally going to link you the Google search for "diabetic neuropathy early detection":

https://www.google.com/webhp?source...early+detection

I'm asking for a study that demonstrates positive outcomes from routine physical examinations. The authors of that meta-review couldn't find one. Requiring otherwise healthy employees to get a physical to get health coverage without empirical evidence that it improves outcomes is bad policy.

PCjr sidecar
Jan 26, 2011

Zero VGS posted:

I seeI there's such a thing as rack-mounted strips with ethernet where I can remote in and power-cycle a frozen PoE switch. That's pretty badass.

Does anyone use something like that and have a preferred brand/model?

Talking about thingies like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...=0PY-0005-000A0

Edit: ooh, there's vertical mount versions with way more outlets too, might try that and save rack slots.

Haven't had a bad experience with APC switched PDUs.

PCjr sidecar
Jan 26, 2011

Zero VGS posted:

Yeah, I'm looking into those now. The only thing that gives me pause is that the biggest models they have still only do like 3000 watts, and my PoE switches have the potential to go way over that. Which is why it's extra terrifying they're running from daisy chained dollar store strips right now.

get on my level

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PCjr sidecar
Jan 26, 2011

Docjowles posted:

"Please describe your change management policies and procedures."

"YOLO!!!!11"

I think you mean "embrace agile devops methodologies and strive to fail fast with continuous delivery in a dynamic, hands-on environment."