Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

GOOCHY posted:

Working in IT 3.0: Drunk Autists making 95K

Don't forget the drunk part. A CF/DAF post isn't complete without us realizing hes drunk again and posting.

When 24 years old you reach, make 95k, you will not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

SH/SC taught me alot and made me understand the value of money means a lot...

also who ever bought me this title; I probably make more money then you so HHAHAHHAHHAH

I love me some aspergers. I want to shake the hand of the person that bought you the title because I got beat to the punch.

Working in IT, thinking making slightly over 100k is a lot when living on the east coast!

Come on CF/DAF, keep on drunk posting for us so we can all learn the mighty art of IT

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

go3 posted:

austin is full of loving delicious as poo poo brisket

Because this is what every quote should be. Franklins BBQ mmm delicious. I have family in Austin and I would love to move there but wife and I's jobs in IT are pretty cushy right now and we're lazy

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

go3 posted:

go to Salt Lick instead

Derailing this thread further because Franklins is way better brisket than Salt lick. :snoop:

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

Dark Helmut posted:

gently caress, why won't insidious tell his story already?!?!

The suspense is killing me

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

Dick Trauma posted:

Recruiter contacted me about a high level I.T. job in my industry. I referred him to the guy that took over for me at the last place. :laugh:

:boom:

Best thing I've heard all day

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I don't see a "win" coming out of this for anybody. If you're the one they keep, you're inheriting the workload of 2 people on top of what you already do, and since you were "saved" by management you'll be indebted to do all the work without complaint or additional compensation.

I wouldn't bother with a lawyer, I'd take their announcement as a fine opportunity to start job searching before you're unemployed.

I agree with this, you should just job hunt and even if you win that position leave the company asap. Thats a sinking ship and you need to bail out

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

psydude posted:

Just gonna leave this here.

Keep reading down the page

Its the best Christmas gift!

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

Working in IT Version 0.32: Virtualizing DAF's BAC

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

Is VSAN different than VPLEX? I've sorta been poking the storage engineers, VPLEX seems nice for data migration projects between data centers.

Very much so

vSan is your Software defined storage from Vmware
VPLEX is your HA to another datacenter so you can failover the backend without the hosts realizing it. Lots of other details for it but a VPLEX still requires other storage behind it to help facilitate DR.

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

Dick Trauma posted:

Oh god we're all History majors aren't we? :ohdear:

19 credits left on mine with an emphasis on ME history. Yay history

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

Just an aside from PDF resume chat.

My wife had a recruiter modify a resume of hers a few years back. She had a copy of her original when she interviewed and the guys interviewing pulled out a copy of the doctored one. That recruiter lost that client for the future after they all compared and went wtf?

Never give anyone a modifiable resume if you can avoid it. You never know what they'll do with it

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

It was a good day when we powered off our old BES servers. gently caress blackberry with a rake.

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I'll be honest I'm not like the discussion decider guy but I'd prefer that not be the topic.

Let's get back onto a more typical thread topic.

Hi guys I'm thinking about picking up a masters from WGU, wouldn't that be good?

Buddies doing his right now. They give you an adviser and they keep you on track with goals. Really fair to work with and a number of the classes are actually relevant for Sysadmin/IT folk if you do an IT based masters. Once I finish the last few items on my undergrad I'm thinking of applying to WGU for a Masters

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

Sirotan posted:

Turns out ~24 servers need a couple app updates before a scheduled production freeze that starts on Thursday so my coworkers got their panties in a twist (lol jk, as if there are other women on this team), and they want all hands on deck right loving now!!!111

Don't misjudge, they could have their panties in a twist!

Yes, I've had a few male coworkers wear women's underwear in the past and be very vocal about it.

Working in IT 3.0: I wish I'd been a girlie, just like my dear papa!

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

Sprechensiesexy posted:

We have been interviewing people for various network/security engineering positions and it has been dreadful. Dude came in, went from CCNA security to CCIE security in 8 months, couldn't tell the difference between a stateful and stateless firewall.

Guy with several years of experience on his resume, didn't know what a VLAN was, didn't know what STP was, couldn't tell us what an IP address does.

I helped interview one of those for our Shanghai group! After the interview we had our HR group ask them for their CCIE # as well as links to validate their CCNP/CCNA. I'll give you one guess if we ever heard back from them again!

Had a 2nd "CCIE" apply as well that gave us a 5 digit CCIE number in the 40,000s. Every permutation of their name on their resume as well as names from their linkedin came back blank. Asked them to send proof+proper links. Nope not legit! Gotta love people lying on their resume.

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

Sprechensiesexy posted:

I'm not personally involved yet with the interviewing, but after hearing those horror stories I decided to volunteer to do some in the future. It seems like a good thing to have on your CV under soft skills.

I'm not sure if we ask for certification #, we totally should though.

And always ask for a sheet with the links to the certification validation pages. Most vendors give you that link/number for your resume/cv to reference when needed. If a candidate can't produce that info, they most likely are lying. Especially when you ask them about simple things like vlans and broadcast domains and they sound like they are googling answers (they were)

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

Kashuno posted:

I’ve heard “cut the poo poo” used multiple times when talking to vendors about things like that. Calling someone out for lying, especially if it’s blatant, is totally within scope and may definitely even be in your job responsibilities depending on your position

I'm going to have to majorly agree with this one. All dependent on your position but sometimes you gotta tell vendors to cut it out and get things done. I generally either go to a different VAR or Vendor if they are bullshitting me too much. I lay it out there though "be 100% straightforward with me and you have my business. You bullshit me, we cut you out and go to a competitor"

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

Sickening posted:

One if my people forwarded me an email of a disk failure on a colo vm host. It was a 16 disk raid 5 array.

How can basic poo poo be done so poorly?

Thoughts and prayers for the dead raid 5 disks

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

The butt has always been a butt since 2008

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

bull3964 posted:

So, are they going to charge users per core of every device that views a video?

Don't forget Retroactively and send the bills to your house

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

devmd01 posted:

We are finally down to two access databases in use and there is active development in progress to get off of at least one of them.

Then of course marketing goes off and had their contractor for SharePoint support build out some bullshit based on PowerApps. gently caress you, we had that disabled for a reason, we don’t want access type bullshit all over again.

God I hate marketing so much, it doesn’t matter what employer. Full of people who just don’t loving get it.

gently caress access and marketing with a rusty bottle opener

Marketing has been my #1 nemesis in the IT world.

Example 1:
Payroll printer offline (gently caress you printers).
One of marketing's Macs had bonjour service spamming 40k frames a second looking for AppleTvs on the network. Payroll's Check printer had a 10mbps NIC and got steamrolled by broadcast traffic.

Example 2:
Mark: Help! My external HD isn't working! We have critical footage we shot a month ago on it for a TV commercial campaign!
IT: A month ago? Why wasnt that data put onto your NAS share?
Mark: It took too long to copy!
IT: *Checks access logs* You didn't even try to access the share or use it.

$6000 later for data recovery services they got their files back. That marketing guy was fired a month later thank goodness

Example 3:
Devs and C Levels: "We're locking everything down as someone leaked internal IP docs to the press! IT! Implement draconian security measures to treat the employees like children!"

Marketing guy thought it would generate good buzz to give some breadcrumbs to some tech press on new products. Leaked documents had sensitive R+D items from proprietary intellectual property. Thank goodness the patents were already filed and approved years before the leak.