Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.
Bad LinkedIn recruiting: when I can tell from your email what your keywords were when you found my profile. Excuse me, your form letter is showing. :fuckoff:

(P.S., I'm not qualified for the position you're recruiting for. Please actually READ the resumes that pop up before sending mail.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

the spyder posted:

Since *company merger* is looking worse and worse now that I've got a taste of how they currently handle IT (it's terrible) and there's no way I'm staying here any longer then I have too, it's time to brush up the old resume. Where do I start? Is the goon-ran resume service worth it? I've started to audit/rebuilt my online presence (so they find what I want them to find, like my IT blog.) But I've got two weak points: resumes and interviews. I can get a decent resume out there and handle phone interviews no sweat, but at the in person tech interviews, I always choke. Any help or resource recommendations (articles, books, ect) are appreciated.

r2i (the goon-ran resume service) did my resume and helped me with interview prep. I cannot recommend them highly enough. They go to 11.

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

Tab8715 posted:

Question, when it comes to interviews how detailed should I be when discussing other companies? I've had a lot of experiences that have had a positive outcome for myself but don't necessarily reflect well on the companies or clients I've worked with - thoughts?

I obliviously don't want to be sued and I don't want to "badmouth" my previous employers, clients no matter how terrible their decisions, practices may have been...

Don't lie, and don't trash your former employer. Your job as interviewee is to give the interviewer the warm fuzzies. You're a great person to work with, you can thrive in any environment, you rehabilitate crippled puppies in your spare time. Instead of focusing on the crap that put you in the situation, (idiot boss fired three people the week before the project deadline), talk briefly and factually about the situation and focus on how and why you were awesome.

Someone else here can probably give you more specific advice, I just wanted to point out that you want the emphasis of the interview to be on your awesomeness. Not how your old boss is a dick, or the traffic is awful today, etc.

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

For those of us who work a little quicker, is there a better gift than Outlook's delay delivery? My god do I love doing 8 hours worth of work in some subset of that, while setting emails to fire off throughout the day at appropriate times to show how hard I am working.

I also want to make clear that this is a parody post and I would never do such a thing.

My ex-boss would want me to send "reminder" emails as well as calendar appointments for weekend DR test things. I learned how to delay mail specifically for those. :shrug:

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

Congrats psydude! :yotj:

I dragged myself into workout clothes and exercised tonight. I can't be wearing maternity clothes because of the baby when she learns how to walk. That's my deadline for getting back into button-waist pants.

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

Sarcasmatron posted:

:yotj: is now official: I start at Blizzard in 4 weeks.

:rock:

Fantastic! Congratulations!

Edited to add content:
What do you goons do to stay in shape while you're sitting all day? Smash the gym before work? Get up and walk every so often? I'm exhausted when I get home now so my after work plan isn't working. I'd like some advice.

meanieface fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Sep 13, 2014

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

Throw up a copy of SSMS on your laptop and load in AdventureWorks. Explain is your BFF.

I love the Stanford class. Learning how to write queries, especially with knowing how indexes work, is fantastic.

I'm not sure about how your sec dept handles the HIPPA love, but ours would most definitely not allow a local copy of any db. We get put in time out if we have anything that remotely looks like PHI on local.

Also, I apologize if this is a bit scatterbrained, I spent my day having words with Aetna data. :eng99:

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

angry armadillo posted:

You need to talk to your boss and work out exactly how much your neck is on the line

If you are ultimately responsible for anything you need to speak to this guy and say either 'ok I back your idea' or 'I think we need to run your idea past boss'

If he is the sort of person who is going to say 'no we don't need to speak to boss, I can make the call' I guess you have to say 'well I'd really appreciate it if you ran it by boss'

If he still doesn't I guess you can say 'ok well I will back you but it's your call and on your head be it'

I'd also start carrying a notebook and if he is the sort of person to go along that patch you can write down what was agreed and the fact he wouldn't speak to the boss thereby covering yourself.

As a aside - I'm not sure where to ask this, I need to build a report using crystal reports (and SQL) which I've never done before. I'm ok with how reports work and SQL queries but does anyone have some good tutorials on combing the 2?

For my first report I'll be giving the user date parameters, grouping various fields across tables and some sub totals within the report if that helps anyone point anything out

When I had to muck with crystal, I used an official tutorial. It was ridiculously dated, but so was the version I was in because banking.

I'd check these out first: http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-8514

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

Umbreon posted:

When applying for a new IT job and looking for salary ranges, how does one calculate how much they are worth? Is there a certain formula for estimating a decent salary for my skillset?

I know the 28k a year I make at the NOC I work at is retard low, but I've seen so many different salaries for comparable jobs that I have no real idea what I should actually look for when I move on to a new job.

Yeah, that's a bit low.

I like salary fairy, but I think looking at offer ranges for comparable jobs would be a better way.

P.S.: I think I may know you irl. Were you 8th floor Walker?

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

GreenNight posted:

Gf got offered a job at a 5 year old company for 10 grand more than she is making now. Absolutely no benefits except for some stock and vacation. She could get Obamacare for around $230/mo for a very good plan. She currently is really disliking her job at the insurance company, but she does get a good 401k matching and benefit package. She is only 24, so maybe that stuff doesn't matter right now. She has no clue what to do.

The big catch of the company for her is that she would be working on a whole bunch of stuff instead of staring at Java code all day bored out of skull.

Math it. Determine how much the 401k matching and insurance is worth per year, and whether that will be fiscally worth switching jobs for.

At the least, she'll have a good mental basis for negotiating salary at the "new" company.

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

ZetsurinPower posted:

Does anyone use SalaryFairy? I feel like the salary estimates are a bit inflated

It told me I was underpaid for my previous job. (I was.) I'm now making more than what it thinks I should be, no complaints there.

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

Misogynist posted:

Once in awhile you run into those people who are simultaneously really nerdy, really extroverted, and really insecure, but I've found it to be a pretty uncommon combination in most of the places I've worked.

Hi! :wave: I blew a college level interview by being awkward as gently caress. I actually went and read Jane Austin novels after so I'd sound like a grown up and not like I spend so much drat time on the Internet. I love you, Internet.

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

I had someone ask a bit huffily if I hadn't gotten her voicemail yet. I cheerily replied that I saw her email and called her immediately. I haven't gotten a single voicemail since. :getin:

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

Hopefully when they turn off access to cloud services they also disable external storage so someone doesn't download a client list full of PII onto a flash drive then lose it in a public place. (Also happened.)

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

luminalflux posted:

:yotj:

After a fun little adventure with internet friends tossing CVs to recruiters, phone screens, being flown in to SF by one company and flown back to Mexico by another, 5-6 hour long interviews with whiteboard coding, I've finally landed a new gig. I'll moving from Stockholm to San Francisco to run servers for a well-known startup in February.

:yotj: congrats you!

Content: I'm so frustrated with my boss's standards with hiring. I wish darkhelmut were local so I could sit them down together and talk this out. We need our empty spot filled already.

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

I used R2I for the first IT job I landed, then updated that same resume with the pointers given in the first process to land my dream job.

I had a good experience with R2I and highly recommend it. :shrug:

Seconding. I'm about to pay the :10bux: to update mine because my current job has vastly different roles and responsibilities than my old job and I can't have my LI profile looking naked.

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

I've only ever seen any level of redundancy when it comes to dealing with bank EDI systems, banks seem to have money to do stuff and things, shocker.

In my brief time in banking, the redundancy I saw was driven by the OCC's requirements. Gov't requirements fulfilled == all the money you're getting for this project.

Unrelated -- we're switching to SalesForce for tracking projects/tickets. Is there a way to templatize tasks? The powers that be have decided that all our code reviews will be in the form of salesforce tasks, so I have a *VERY* standard piece of language that needs to get smacked on there when I'm asking for a peer review. I already have it saved out as an email template (pulling from the fields that they created when I asked politely), so if it's not possible I can still copy/paste like a champ.

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

NippleFloss posted:

Or go work for a technology company and become a profit center.

Where people use your metrics to justify your salary--it's good and bad all at once.

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

So what's everybody's work load on pre-t-day?

I don't even know why I came in today. Should have "worked from home". At least traffic wasn't bad.

This is the last day of the month, so everyone's flipping out about metrics and pushing code to production. Boss has said we will NOT be working over the holiday. Four day weekend, yall. :dance:

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

It's hard to get my head around is all, computers are accurate and brilliantly precise but not very clever, so you treat them as you would a person with those qualities, patiently and using your problem solving ability to help piece together what they're trying to say to you, because it's probably completely correct.

It's like because something is written on a screen it's strange and terrifying for some reason. Even if it's in a nice courier font.

Part of my former job involved screenshotting every blessed step to fixing even the most minor technical fixes to errors in vendor software and documenting what a user might say to clue you in that this was the fix needed. It was explained to me that this was necessary in case one of my fellow coworkers had to go on call instead of me.

If you find yourself in IT hell, keep walking and keep polishing your resume. Entry level experience can be brutal.

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

My boss just endorsed me in LI for Sharepoint. SHAREPOINT.

:suicide:

We have a meeting Monday morning to talk to her boss about our standards documentation and hear his feedback on it. He's pointed out that although it's the primary [only] documentation the team uses internally to track what/how on coding standards, we have to remember that technical types aren't the only audience. I heard he's 'concerned' about the volume of sample code we have in there. :rolleyes:

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

mattfl posted:

It's not too bad, as long as you can get far enough away from the actual doctors/nurses/hospitals that you never have to deal with them. I work for the corporate part of our hospital system and my interaction with doctors/nurses is exactly 0.

Word. I deal with Healthcare data all day, and it leaves me wanting to drink but not half as drinky drinky as some of y'all.

I'm still mad we don't get Friday afternoon beers at our small location. THE KIDS AT HQ GET ALL THE COOL THINGS. :cry:

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

myron cope posted:

I have a job interview tomorrow. /snip
I make poo poo at my current job... /snip
Of course it's also kinda pointless to speculate like this until I actually have the interview. They may think I'm a bad fit. I might do bad in the interview. I don't want to burn bridges/miss an opportunity at my current job.. But I also don't want to miss out on something that could be better. I guess I said a lot of words for advice that's going to amount to "see what they say in the interview and go from there"

How exactly is interviewing at another place "burning bridges" at your current job? You have a personal appointment. :wave: That's literally all you have to, or should, say.

Do always interview. At the very least, you're keeping your interview skills sharp and providing the hiring manager and yourself some information about what the current job market is like. (Seriously, I had an old boss tell me to interview for jobs even if I wasn't planning on taking the job.) There's a wordy description of why several pages back but :effort:

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

Along the lines of: IT professionals really shouldn't be paying for certs to learn things they're using in their day-to-day jobs, how would you go about finding the price of Official MS certs (class+test or finding some online learning resource + test) and giving your boss a good reasoning for why you need this? She'll take it up to ask for the funds if I can give her a good reason, but since we just went public everyone's super stingy with :10bux: so help with 'why I need this' other than me ranting incoherently about how I'm sucking at my job because there are things I should know and don't + help tracking down how to actually do this since no one here has real MS certs either would be phenomenal. (My team lead wants them too, so I figure if I can get the info and reasoning together we can make this happen.)

Goon Santa, help me figure out how to start working on my MCSE - BI flavor.

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

Tab8715 posted:

I'm not aware of any official Microsoft Training but it'd be through numerous vendors.

As far as convincing your boss, this can be tough.

I was hoping someone knew of one online that was pretty decent for taking the courses. Getting time off work to physically go to class == hahahahaha no.

I'm not too worried about convincing my boss.

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

A while back I went through the MCITP self-paced training books, and you can sign up for the exams at a whole bunch of testing centres - even my rural area has one not too far. I'm not sure if they're any more up to date than Win7/Server 2008R2 though, and self-paced books always have their own issues.

I'm wanting the SQL 2012 stuff, there's no 2014 tests out yet. Plan is to spend a bit each morning working on it before people come in with their hair on fire; if I try to do this at home on my own time, it's never going to happen. Kids + unpaid OT.

Tab8715 posted:

It also depends on who you work when it comes to training. Bigger orgs tend to have less a problem because they have the money for training. They also get that there's more to just reading a technical manual. A few thousand is nothing when you're pulling in millions too.

I've been going back and forth with my boss for months for IBM i training and finally got him to cave last week which has more or less consisted of me showing him holes in my primary's knowledge and pulling out "Do you want me to be good at my job or great at my job?"

OOOOH I am so going to use that phrase, she will LOVE it. I love my boss lady. Thanks goon!

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

Alfajor posted:

Today's pretty quiet at work, so I've got time to tackle things I've been wanting to do for a while. First on the list: report on who's got what kind of access to everything on the file server, which I imagine is way more open than it should be. Any suggestions on how to do this so that the output is readable by non-IT folk? I basically want to go to the manager of each department so they can review without loosing their minds in the process.

Take whatever output you actually have and turn it into an excel doc with headers and filters.

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

stubblyhead posted:

Notepad++ can use them to search/replace in files too. No lie, they're probably top five in the list of things you don't know but probably ought to learn.

I like to paste in a string of files separated by new lines and replace (.*)/r/n with my command that needs done to the file where /1 is where the file name goes. It's nice.

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

NZAmoeba posted:

And how long did that take to do?

A couple months back I did something that took the site down. I went from doing that, having a gut feeling it was a bad idea, confirming my suspicions, figuring out the quickest way to fix, and implementing it in 5 minutes 45 seconds, and a big chunk of that time was me reuploading code via our deployment system.

During that time I fired off one email to the rest of the Ops team that was pretty much this verbatim:

Subject: I have hosed #site#
Content: fixing now, 5 minutes.

Getting everyone in to talk about the situation can wait until after the problem is fixed, and staff should be trusted enough to make the best decisions about the fix without having to ask everyone else first.

The most we do when it's not going to be quick is let the manager know so they can handle the comms while the engineer works on it. Pulling in people from other teams is the engineer's call as well.

:shlick: That sounds nice. Tell me more

When I worked at the bank, I had to send an email in a certain format to everyone letting them know something was broken. I also had to send text messages to about four people.

Then I could work on the issue for ten minutes. Before it had been down for ~30 minutes, I had to send an update email. This entire time, i had to watch my phone/email and respond to any questions about why it was down, what was down, how long it would be, and which vendors were engaged. If it was going to be down for +45 minutes, I had to send out bank-wide severity notices. Which needed updated, and would get their own calls/emails/texts asking questions that I had to immediately respond to.

Will refusing to be on call ever ever again hurt my potential career projection? Because having 15 minute SLAs for every.single.thing including password resets burned me on on-call. And I just.. look, if I'm watching my kid pretend to be a bunny in her school play, I want to concentrate on that. Not on your URGENT PRODUCTION ISSUE.

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

Tab8715 posted:

I knew a few of you have but I'd like to get a little more detailed. How many of you have used Resume2Interviews? Is it worth ~$300?

I've used the resume and interview prep. when I start looking for the next job, I'll use it again. I've also paid the "update" fee after being at this job for six months so I could have help updating my resume so it stays a bit more up to date.

The resume by itself will not guarantee you a job or an interview. That said, I would do it again in a heartbeat. It helped me articulate my strengths and my professional rear end kicking in a way that I leveraged to get into a more technical position and out of business analyst hell.

UNRELATED = pissing me off == corporate restructuring. Just let me know if I can keep my boss already. We will hear something in February is too much waiting and I need slow, controlled, expected change if there will be change. But I want to keep my boss. :argh:

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

Bigass Moth posted:

Is there a goon LinkedIn group other than Stairmasters specific to IT/computers?

Most of stairmasters is IT. Just start a thread if there's something specific you want.

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

flosofl posted:

Features I need are
* automation (ticket creation by email at a minimum)
* rules based routing of tickets
* time-keeping (time to close, time on ticket)
* customized or flexible reporting.
* keep initial and annual costs to a minimum

My other option is to go with a pre-existing corporate-wide Salesforce deployment, but I'm unfamiliar with it. Those in my team who have used it before are less than enthusiastic about it.

Can you guys/gals give me any of your experience with these?
How extensible are these via scripting or using a plugin architecture?
Any other recommendations?

I'm incredibly frustrated with our salesforce but honestly I'm unsure how much of that is because of our poor process design and how much is salesforce.

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

Eifert Posting posted:

This is probably not the right place to ask this but I am looking at a bunch of jobs that heavily utilize excel and my most recent experience was in Uni like 8 years ago. Does anyone here know of a good online refresher for the most recent iterations of excel? I'm googling as well but if y'all know one in particular that's the best I'd appreciate hearing about it.

Is there some reason printers are so ridiculously unreliable compared to other hardware? It seems like the same issues that plagued printers when I was in grade school affect them now.

I had this guy as a professor and he's like the Dr. Evil of Excel:

http://www.amazon.com/Your-Office-Microsoft-Excel-Comprehensive/dp/0132610442/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1423179068&sr=1-1

(Nathan/Nate Stout).

Here's his youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UCKFVEHwSivUcDZ7I67ZzgcA He's got a ton of Excel how-to videos that are marked private and if I can find the links I'll send them over.

And please get awesome with vlookup. I use that stupid function every single day at work. My job is technically not in Excel. :colbert:

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

Erwin posted:

Coursera? The Cryptography course is great. They have programming courses, as well.

edit: I might not actually know what Open University is.

Udacity's intro to programming was on par with my college intro to programming course (they were for different languages). The bonus with the college course was I could email my instructor and get near instant responses.

It really depends on what path you're wanting to take with your career.

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

What would be the simplest/cheapest way to go about having a box somewhere that I can remote into from work & run a smallish SSMS on? Work only has 2008 and I want to practice on 2014 for the first MS SQL cert.

(Trying to get security folks to approve me accessing a 2014 version will literally take over a year. I've already tried that route.)

ETA: I don't have an 'extra' home computer to set up myself or I would have done so. :)

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

Dark Helmut posted:

The recruiter is always an idiot and lying

"I just got a clarification and.." No. No you didn't.

I thought of you today Helmut, I had a recruiter pull a 180 on a job description after I politely explained why I'd never, ever be interested. A typical BA requirements-gathering job (with a provided full job description) suddenly has ~coding~ in it! But she's not sure what percentage of my time would be spent coding! :rolleyes:

On the "meanie is learning about boundaries at work" front, my boss told me to put a sticky note on my computer that says "Can this wait until tomorrow?" She's totally backing me on working more sane hours and agreed that I can bail on Friday if nothing's on fire, and in her words "nothing should be on fire".

She also told me to pad my time when I give estimates for how long any work will take. I've been doing that, but not to the extent she suggested -- and it's a good point. I'd rather people be pleasantly surprised than me working the unplanned night shift because I opened my big mouth and set a date that didn't have enough contingency.

Fingers crossed over here.

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

Inspector_666 posted:

I just accept every connection request on LinkedIn. Is that wrong?

There's a big argument for/against this on the LI thread. The OP there is for accepting requests.

I'm always highly amused when I get connections from goons. I suspect the comment about goon requests didn't mean SA goons, though?

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

Cavepimp posted:

I had a serious sit down with our HR lady (small company) about being burned out today. It was good. They all ended up terrified of me leaving and it looks like some things might change.

I'm going to leave anyway, but at least I bought a little bit more (less insane) time.

Related -- had my annual review today and my areas for improvement included "work/life balance" and "managing customer expectations". So it's on paper that I need to tell everyone else to calm down and work less OT. :crossarms:

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

KillHour posted:

Whiskey time!

These are the three I have in my liquor cabinet ATM:

https://glenmorangie.com/en/glenmorangie-quinta-ruban
http://www.themacallan.com/the-whisky/sherry-oak/sherry-oak-18/
https://www.makersmark.com/

I use the Maker's for cocktails and drink the other two neat.

I have some 140 proof Elijah Craig because I'm classy like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

Misogynist posted:

All of these are serious professions, and senior-level people have as much training and experience as doctors, lawyers, or any other profession requiring a ton of formal schooling. Someday you'll have to trade your enthusiasm for knowledge and you'll need to buckle down, hit the books, and master a specialty top to bottom, but the most important thing for you right now is to explore the field and have fun doing it. Stick your hands into everything to try it out and see how you like it, even if you have no idea what you're doing. Use your college's career resources to find some internships. If you find the thing you really want to do, that learning will come naturally.

If you like writing tiny programs over and over because oh my god it's like I'm solving wee little puzzles and this is the FASTEST way to solve the tiny puzzle and that's the simplest way and hey let's compare the speeds of the two.. We're broken in the same way. Learn SQL and stare at data all day. And all night.