Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

Krispy Wafer posted:

Still waiting for my bosses to hire more staff. Last update was they were looking at a guy whose spent the last 14 years working in the film developing department at Wal-Mart. Why not just hire a typewriter repairman or old-timey gas-lantern lighters to manage these Cisco switches.

He has his CCNA but has never worked with the hardware. :wtc:

You wouldn't believe the amount of CCNAs i've interviewed who don't know how to make a serial connection in Putty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

Methanar posted:

I'm tunneling on this hard because this was originally phrased as being interview questions. If I were conducting an interview for some kind of infrastructure position, I'd take voluntary putty usage as a red flag when there way better tools out there. Putty just has a negative connotation to me. Probably because that's what I first used before I knew any better.

I use SecureCRT and cmder for quick SSH sometimes - used to use SuperPutty before. We're not going to put SecureCRT on the practical test PC though in case someone hasn't used it. Almost everyone applying for a network engineer position (senior or junior) should have used Putty at least once.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
now the putty vs. everything argument is out the way we can start on deciding which colour theme is best for your terminal & text editor, and why your choice makes you a loving idiot :unsmigghh:

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

GreenNight posted:

We were gonna replace our main core switch at one of our subsidiaries next year and also replace the wifi on our entire campus. Yeah not happening now. Our Cisco rep is piiiiiiiiiised

We threatened to buy Huawei and they gave us 65% off :unsmigghh:

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

GreenNight posted:

Meraki for wireless, stack of Catalyst 9300's for core.

We went for 2x fibre and 2x copper Nexus 9300s for our core with the intention of vPCing everything. Cisco tried to sell us Catalyst chassis for like 12x the price when they didn't even have Stackwise working on it yet.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
we have almost 2000 iPads and they started doing the same when people wouldn't update them - you'd get sent lots of emails and then if you didnt do it after the deadline your emails got disabled. lots of arguments in the office the first time after that when they came in to get them sorted

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
SuperPutty at minimum, SecureCRT/Mobaxterm/RoyalTS/whatever is good at handling multiple sessions, tabs and works with Solarised Dark theme if you're managing loads of devices

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
The best part about Zebra printers is how the Seagull driver is way better than the one Zebra makes themselves

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
I think I'd have to give 2 months in my current position

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
We had a contractor in helping with some stuff. He said he knew all about deploying Microsoft certs, wasn't what we got him in for, but we use ISE and I don't think he knew how it worked. He set up a new certificate, deleted the old CA from the domain controller without pushing the new one to all the PCs and didn't tell anyone he was doing the work.

Goodbye all 4500 PCs & 600 laptops. We use closed mode on the switches and didn't do MAB on PCs. Had to bodge importing the MAC addresses because we were on ISE 1.2 and it had a bug that stopped you importing devices into a group. That was not a fun evening.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

my bitter bi rival posted:

People blaming the network is a form of gaslighting.

This one iPad isn't connecting to Google. It's definitely the entire network, and I won't be conducting any further investigations.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
If you're using a Cisco WLC I'd let it do whatever it needs to automatically. Unless you're super high density and you've had a survey done with specific power settings, they should give you the settings they used and you can make a profile for that on the controller. I don't have the good links on me at the moment but there are loads of guides for the basic best config/best practices if you do some Googles. There's a couple of good ccie wireless blogs and a Cisco presentation on slide share.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

ChubbyThePhat posted:

I am also in the office today. My floor is basically empty and I'm not entirely convinced there's more than 50 people in the entire building.

Same but we spent most of this morning playing Overcooked and then went out to eat :getin:

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
if you had dot1x on your switchports you wouldn't have to worry about these chucklefucks plugging random poo poo in :unsmigghh:

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
yeah i dont understand why your radius server is shutting ports that fail an authentication, it's unnecessary

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
Then why would you have port security and .1x on the same port??

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
solarwinds hot tip: don't install it on an sql express license if you hope to monitor more than 35 interfaces on your ~450 devices :negative:

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Have you tried jeans with a higher rise? Or do you wear them at your belly button like a grandpa?

Or to use the YLLS term: Nice balls, sag and resize.

do these even exist in 2019? can't find poo poo in Primark or H&M

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

The Fool posted:

PuTTY is actually just fine, but a lot of snobs seem to like SecureCRT.

I used SecureCRT because someone else paid for it and I really liked it. For us it was having all our switches & routers organised by site using folders and it was really easy to import into it.

If you're using Putty, use Solarwinds version of it, it gives you a nicer UI for your sessions

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

The reason I got into networks was because I didn't want to have to do poo poo calls and talk to users, and I noticed our network engineer barely did any. It back fired after I got hired for the internal junior position and a few months later the senior engineer moved away, I had basically no experience except a useless Network+ cert. They tried and failed to hire a replacement. The whole time I was doing the calls for a 4500+ user organisation and fixing poo poo that hadn't been working right for years. After a year and a half of that they gave up trying to recruit a senior, and eventually offered it to me (it's amazing how quickly you can learn when you're absolutely hosed and have nobody to help you). Then eventually they recruited me a junior who does all the calls :getin:. I only do ones he can't finish or when he's on annual leave. I got an extra boost when they hired an IT Project Manager/Admin, and now he handles all the bullshit admin work on network projects. I do design, config, and talking to third party suppliers when necessary, but as infrequently as possible. I also argued a lot that sending the senior or only network engineer to do certain poo poo was horribly inefficient, when it could easily be done by our on-site engineers from a written guide or over the phone.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
My favourite move when I was an on-site tech was 100 PCs from one building to another, 2 minutes down the road. It got very spicy when we were installing PCs in rooms where builders were still putting up plasterboards. Was very fun walking into a room you'd just finished setting up to find the builders had taken it all apart to remove an old radiator. Or a room you'd just finished setting up and happened to walk passed to find it locked with a sign saying "DONT ENTER, WASP NEST."

Also no working toilet in the whole building. It took 3 days to finish. Shout out to the estates department everywhere.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
Man, all this wage chat makes me feel like poo poo. £34k a year in the NHS as a senior network engineer. Imagine being able to own a house :negative:

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

DroneRiff posted:

Ditto. 37.5K GBP here as a Senior Application/Informatics Analyst for a major EHR in a South East (not London) NHS hospital. In plus side, 33 days PTO plus public holidays.

You on band 7? Mines even worse, it includes London weighting and Oncall as well. I agree with CLAM DOWN though, gently caress private companies and working to make some rich piece of poo poo even richer. It really sucks to have to choose between poo poo pay or that.

HalloKitty posted:

Wage stagnation with ever-spiralling property prices is the situation in the UK, it sucks. I'm not living there any more, but I still get emails from recruiters with offers that would have been only OK 10-12 years ago, no joke

Where did you emigrate too? I've been really considering Australia. There's not much here any more and I just want to be warm again!!

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
I do the Roadie Wrap for all my cables. you're not meant to roll power cables that way apparently but try and stop me fuckers. you can do a monkey braid/chain sinnet on them as well, which has the added bonus that when you come to use them again, you just pull the end and it comes undone

uhhhhahhhhohahhh fucked around with this message at 21:54 on May 16, 2019

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
What's the weather like though? I'd love to leave England for somewhere much warmer, but that only leaves Australia pretty much for English speaking countries. I suck at learning new languages

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

NPR Journalizard posted:

And just lol at coming to Australia for an ICT job.

I haven't done too much research aside from seeing that network engineer was a job they'd let you in for. Is it no good? Emigrating is some scary poo poo

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

MrOzzy posted:

You don't have to have very good qualifications or experience. For example: "Installer of data communication networks" is one of the professions considered a 'bottleneck' profession by the governement. This means companies are unable to fill a vacancy by a qualified employee within a reasonable timeframe. As a result you'll be able to apply for a work permit much more easily (the employer will do it for you). You'll be pulling cables in no time.

I worked with a contractor whose partner worked at NATO HQ made it sound like some good poo poo. They weren't doing IT work though, don't know what IT jobs would be like there.

Thanks Ants posted:

I'd like to think you'd do better at learning a language if you're surrounded by it all day

Probably. I was average at German in school and sort of liked it, but they also forced us to do French and Latin, which I hated and really turned me off doing anything related to language.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

Tetramin posted:

Lol, we discussed setting Orion up to send emails to everybody’s cell#@everycarrierunderthesun.com for certain things since a lot of us don’t have email notifications turned on

This is what we do. text messages for when stuff we support for 24 hours goes down. Email for everything else. Only problem is everyone gets the text when something goes down, even if they're not on call.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
That would be £80 - £100k per box based on the price we paid recently for Cisco 10G SFPS

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

22 Eargesplitten posted:

That is a good hint. This is a phone interview (assuming they don’t just ghost me like it seems they’re doing), so that would have to wait for the in-person interview.

I know there are a few Phoenix goons in here, what’s the market rate like for an ERP/SQL guy with ~3 years experience? I was contacted by a recruiter for a place that’s offering relocation and says they’re willing to go above the market rate, so they must be desperate.

I’m not sure if I should be leaving the only state I’ve ever lived in when I’m getting divorced, but I’ll listen to what they have to say at least.

Nothing wrong with cutting loose bro. Wish I had the balls to do the same. Getting progressively more tired of where I'm working now. I applied for some jobs and put my CV up and I've gotten a bunch of phone calls from recruiters, but the moment I tell them I have a 2 month notice period they hang up the call. One of them pretty much laughed when I told them how much I was making at the moment :smith:

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
We're still using WPAD :negative:

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
The first time I successfully generated a csr and signed it with our pki and saw that sweet, sweet green https I was the final vincemcmahon.gif irl

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

TWBalls posted:

But then, how could they stop the meeting to ask the all important question "Who just joined"?

lol if you dont shout "HELLO EVERYONE, I AM HERE" into the microphone anytime you join a webex

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
Anyone ever taken a job that was a step down in terms of responsibility and expected knowledge but was actually a pay bump? I'm a senior network engineer (only 1 junior) and did network design here too. a recruiter sent me a job that's double what I make now, and besides the tech they use doesn't say much other than "Work as a 3rd line Network Operations Engineer with a progression route into the Network Design team." and "Opportunity to work alongside and learn from senior engineers". Sounds like It'd just be staring at Orion all day and probably doing tickets all day, which would be boring as gently caress, but that pay bump though...

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
Thanks all, I'll give it a go. they will almost certainly not be interested when they hear I've got a 2 month notice period but welp, might as well.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
Yes, I work in the NHS. My banding has a 2 month notice period for some arbitrary reason. I could lie about it, tell people I've got the regular 1 month, be a dickhead and leave after I've gotten a reference I suppose.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
I JUST brought up Kanboard on docker this morning because I'm sick of tracking our projects on a fucken whiteboard or them being in someone's excel spreadsheet, or worse, only in their head, and my boss is too tight to pay for anything.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

bull3964 posted:

That's basically where I am right now. I have a pretty big circle of friends, but when you plot the venn diagram of who has the money and the time to travel, things get sparse pretty quickly. I'm going to have to get over the hump about traveling by myself or I'm just flat out not going to experience things.

look the places you want to go to up on Wikipedia, it's just like being there :downs:

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
Someone abbrieviated our domain controllers to DC1 and DC2 and also called our data centres DC1 and DC2. Was that guy talking about the domain controllers, the data centres or the Disney channel? Don't forget to put the company initials infront of every name on vcenter and A record just in case you roll up in the morning and forget where you work :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
Is there a Swole-Agile Leadership chart?