Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
My boss is offering to pay for a bunch of training stuff but has no idea what to get as part of our budget for next year. I told him to get CBTNuggets for our department, but is there anything else I should recommend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the suggestions guys! Pluralsight looks great for what he really wants which is a lot of VMWare stuff and still provides stuff for me for some certs I want over the next year. Safari books looks interesting, and if he doesn't go for both I'll probably look into Safari for myself.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

KennyTheFish posted:

We use this and airparrot.

Seconding this

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
So we installed some print auditing software on our printer server to try and track how much printing we do as a company and see if we can reduce costs. I don't think any of us were prepared to see a staggering 100k pages being printed within the first 30 days. Coming from a job before that had to be completely paperless, this made me sad to see. :smith:

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
We're a seafood wholeseller, about 200 employees spread between two offices. We are using Papercut NG and it works pretty nicely. The environmental impact window on the dashboard can be depressing though

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Hi other boston poster

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Toshimo posted:

Also, to be clear, the RAM wasn't taken off-site, it was secured in my desk because I was using it to test a machine on-site. He literally called the cops on me because I was doing my goddamn job. gently caress this place. It's :yotj: time.

This makes this story tons better.

SaltLick posted:

Ah yes the My Pictures folder is the perfect place to have your nudes Mr CEO. :allears:

I'm kinda surprised how many people leave their nudes on the desktop of their work laptop.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
off topic but Jazz Jackrabbit owns.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
hth you're looking for entry level/helpdesk stuff; you have more tech credentials than I did when I started.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Collateral Damage posted:

My boss asked if I wanted an iphone so I could hace a work number and read work email out of office hours. I asked him how much I'd be compensated since my contract doesn't include regular on call.

I wouldn't have a work phone at all if they weren't compensating 100% tbh, and paying for any effort I put in outside of normal hours.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

CLAM DOWN posted:

How would you get to work say in the middle of the night while on call if you're not sober?

Thanks to Uber, I don't have to even call or speak to someone!

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Vulture Culture posted:

so you know that the cloud still exists on computers in datacenters right

oh yeah then why do they call it the cloud if it's not in the clouds???? :smug:

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
So our sysadmin put in his two weeks yesterday and then didn't show up today. There's only me and our IT director now and I've only been in IT for just over 6 months. This is going to be a lot of fun.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Trying to troubleshoot an exchange problem and the other guy doesn't want to listen to me, so now instead of just an issue with our public folders our entire exchange server is down and I'm just getting to sit here and watch it burn. Cool day.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Colonial Air Force posted:

As long as everyone knows whose fault it really is (it's yours for not ,murdering that other dude).

ticket opened with microsoft now :allears:

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
guess I get our sysadmin position on monday :toot: Can't wait for this disaster.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

devmd01 posted:

Well that escalated quickly.

Actually unrelated to today's disaster (which $500 later is solved)

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
anyone have opinions on simplivity vs.tintri?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

NippleFloss posted:

Well, Simplivity is hyperconverged and Tintri is storage, so they are going to fit somewhat different needs. But if your budget can accommodate it Tintri is really really good. All of our customers who buy it are very happy with the performance and simplicity.

That's where I'm at; idk why we had considered Simplivity as an option, and I just sat through the most embarrassingly bad sales meeting ever with them. Trying to narrow down some storage options to put in front of upper management. Comparing Tintri and Tegile is next.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

NippleFloss posted:

Simplivity isn't particularly impressive, even in the hyperconverged space, which is still fairly niche. We sell both Tintri and Tegile and I've got a fair amount of experience with both if you've got questions.

one of the big things my boss is looking at is statistics and replication on a per VM level, rather than a per volume level. From what I've read, it doesn't seem possible/easily doable on Tegile especially compared to Tintri. Does that sound accurate?

(also thanks I'm really new to this stuff and some of it is definitely going over my head)

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

1000101 posted:

We just deployed ~300TB of Tintri for a customer's ESXi environment. This is on top of ~150TB they already had and they seem to like them a lot.

We had one deployed in our lab and I love it because I hate storage and find it the most boring thing ever. Tintri is great because you don't really need to worry about managing it and it can bombard you with all kinds of useful information.

NippleFloss posted:

Tegile can provide some per VM metrics through their VCenter plugin, but it isn't as detailed as the Tintri metrics. It can't do any of the per VM replication, snapshots, clones, or QOS.

The Tegile array will support non-virtual hosts, block storage and CIFS, if you need that. The Tintri will be very low touch and probably perform better if they are sized similarly, but it's virtual storage only, NFS only.

I like Tintri more fwiw. It's probably the closest thing to "set it and forget it" storage out there.

I think these seal the deal for me tbh. Until we get someone new in, our IT dept now consists of just my boss and myself, and I'm still pretty inexperienced. A set and forget storage solution that still lets me get some good info is exactly what I need

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Day one of being the only IT staff in this company save for the IT manager who does more business stuff than IT stuff these days. Sure is a lot busier.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Dick Trauma posted:

Can you come look at my computer. It's slow.

Just got asked by someone to install GoToMyPC on their laptop when they don't have anything but the laptop.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Collateral Damage posted:

It's amazing how much you can get done when you throw caution to the wind and just power poo poo through in production. Who needs testing anyway? :v:

Last time someone said "gently caress testing" at my work we lost 48k in revenue.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
what does MSP stand for?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Inspector_666 posted:

Imagine a place where literally nothing is out of scope and you can never, ever say "No" to anybody!

The other day my CEO told me to fix the issue he has with his iPhone and his Lincoln with ford sync or whatever it's called

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I wish I had a bachelors degree. FAFSA has some annoying cracks that I managed to slip through that prevented me from getting any financial aid until I no longer have to provide parental tax info (next year finally!) so I just managed to get an associates on my own dime. I make pretty good money for someone my age, but nothing extraordinary. I could probably get a better job of I had a better degree.

Conversely, my boss had no degree and a 6 figure income so ymmv

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Hahahaha holy poo poo that's the worst thing I've ever seen. Also he doesn't actually say what performance units do/are, just that they exist and are totally good for you.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Roargasm posted:

It's stock in equity that gets diluted every time someone else does something good.

:laffo:

Zapf Dingbat posted:

He ended the email talking about Christian values.

Is that even legal? I thought most places were pretty strict on no religion chat

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I was always told that a person in power pushing their religion on others like that is a big no-no.

Idk I'm not religious and have no idea about this stuff.

although your examples make it clear I'm not really thinking that through.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I would not want to work there.
If you call him out on it, he's going to not like you and from the sound of how he runs things make your life a living hell. If you let it go, that's some hosed up poo poo right there.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I have a 45 minute commute and it feels long. You guys are hardcore.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Tbh since the company is covering a pluralsight membership I tend to just watch those videos during my commute because I commute via train.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
so my boss just offered me occasional side work for another company (they own the building my employer is in and the two companies have a really good working relationship) for more than double hourly what I make here. P good day.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
to be fair most Boston bike riders are as much shitlords as the drivers are.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

ratbert90 posted:

I used to work from home, those were the days. Current employer doesn't let anybody work from home. :smith:

My boss lets our full-time SAP consultant work from home 3 days a week, but that's not a big deal because of the work she does. He let our previous sysadmin do 1 day a week from home and, due to the absolutely abysmal drop in performance on that day, no one (as in me, the only person) is allowed to do work from home days as a regular thing ever.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Posting on the cloud

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Please if anyone is looking for work make sure you know how to do a resume or hire someone to make yours is nice I have gone through too many today that just feel unreadable or are 5 pages long

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

OWLS! posted:

Confirming this. Boston is a shithole. Been in the area for my entire life. More reason to get my certs and find myself something datacenter-y in the Colorado/Wyoming area so I can scream at the kids to get off my loving lawn all day, and still go skiing.

You don't know what a shithole is if you think Boston is bad hth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Volmarias posted:

Your candidate has a Masters degree, don't they? Or is that just a trend for programming?

I have one guy applying for what is just barely above an entry level position with 6 director of IT positions on his resume.