Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Canada doesn’t have a military-industrial complex to burn trillions of dollars for fun.

Point and laugh at them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Anyone use OpenStack?

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Change freeze ends the week I get back from vacation :negative:

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
WiFi is so bad it’s a collision domain

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

tortilla_chip posted:

I'll bite. Why do HFT firms prefer microwave over fiber?

Microwave has lower latency.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
What should I buy the developers so that they eventually like me and tell me their secrets?

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
What’s it called when you do everything and also work on multiple teams (asking for a friend)

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
A nice desk with enough monitors.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Boomers out

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Welp work from home got axed by senior management. Cool

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

skipdogg posted:

They say why?

8. Effective Monday January 27 , we will cease doing Work From Home days. We need all of our staff and managers to be in the office so we can drive Service. I know this change will be unpopular, but it is being enacted across the board to include Incident Managers, Application Service Managers, etc. Any exception to this rule (i.e. emergencies & coverage) needs to be approved first.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
This is because of the change freeze for Christmas which led to groups blowing their wads on a stream of changes in January which destroyed SLAs. Extreme self-ownage. Too bad because our director and my manager had no say in the decision.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

nullfunction posted:

:stare:

Does a dev environment have access to production resources

Is this wrong? No reason just asking.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
I know, it was just a bit!

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Alright who snitched to reddit about the PDU from hell?

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
There is a weeklong war room for the new chrome update lmao.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Spent an hour diagnosing a problem only to realize it was due to me changing a variable name. :11tea:

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

The Iron Rose posted:

This was about a month after they fired me for complaining in the first place though.

Oh say can you seeee

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Working at a software company isn’t perfect, but it’s the least worst job so far.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Normally I wouldn't ask but I am at my wits end here. I am looking for a wireless provider that sells an LTE plan and I only need a SIM card. Why is this such a hard thing to find?

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

CLAM DOWN posted:

There's an entire subforum for phones and related questions like this. You didn't specify country/location, but if you're American there are carrier-specific threads for US carriers too, Please take this kind of question there. Thanks.

Business connection bro

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Day 3 of working from home due to someone triggering a failed STP election :cheers:

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Surely this is because you don't wanna be physically in the office to deal with that poo poo and not because it has taken three days to fix right....

More than three days now, might be because it’s managed by AT&T.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Btw speaking of AT&T, does anyone use one of their dedicated business wireless broadband plans?

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Our executive PM thought that a data field in our application wasn’t updating, so we started a big managed incident call with 20+ people, only to find out that according to the developer that data doesn’t always update. Efficiency in action!

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Judge Schnoopy posted:

He won't sing my praises to anyone higher up, this project won't be noticed beyond the engineer team, and my efforts will be forgotten.

IT.txt

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Our whole team used to use an barebones remote connection manager (mRemoteNG) that they got from the Indian team. Within the first 4 months of me being there I got everyone switched over to some great software we had a very expensive license for (RoyalTS). Doing so required me to learn both bash and powershell from scratch to write a script that generated a .csv file with all 700+ servers and also a couple of network monitoring tools that plugged directly into Royal. I also wrote documentation for installing everything and how to make your own scripts and customize your layout. Also put everything on our Gitlab server/Sharepoint. Tons of time spent doing repetitive tasks saved. All for a very muted response from everyone! But you bet your rear end I'm putting that poo poo on my resume.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Super Slash posted:

I feel like I'm missing a beat here, we actually had licenses for RoyalTS and I rarely ever used it and much preferred mRemoteNG since it was so straight forward.
Probably because it was never properly maintained I guess, then again nothing here is properly maintained.

It’s crazy good but there is indeed a lot of customization to do before you really get going.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

The last handful of replies all talk about the same basic type of person. That guy who, no matter what idea you have, will have a reason why it's a bad idea or can't happen. I don't know why these people joined IT if they never want to do anything.

Okay I DO know what they're doing - they only know what they know, and any shift away from that will expose them.

Still, what a miserable existence.

They're called IT Boomers.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
I got the secret VPN endpoints nobody uses in case of an office quarantine :ninja:

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Please remove as I view this website at the Spread Assholes Factory.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
We are in the middle of hiring a replacement on our team and they can't start until we stop WFH due to the virus so guess who's covering the hours? Easy overtime, not even mad

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

bull3964 posted:

I mean, we're still hiring as well. They've just made it clear that all interviews are to be tele-interviews and that people will have their computers mailed to them if they are onboarded.

To be fair, we already had a good chunk of remote employees and and procedures in place to onboard people remotely. It can be done. Companies are learning really fast that they need to have these sort of policies and procedures fleshed out and in place.

I seriously don't know how we're going to get our new hire on-boarded given it's already a nightmare to do it in the office, let alone remotely. But at least I've still got a job so...

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Teams also uses 100GB of memory for every window open.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm in like 25 different "teams" in Teams, and mine is at 475 MB RAM. It's not that bad.

The Teams Defender has logged on

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
4 day weekend for Juneteenth :cheers:

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Last minute all staff meeting today in which we were told Tata is taking over infrastructure services, and office locations will be consolidating. Might be laid off, might not. Fun!

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
I was told that our office is getting bigger while they did not mention New Jersey which is under the same group as us and full of high paid senior engineers. So I think they’re getting the axe this year. Company is Refinitiv btw, I give noooo fucks. Much gnashing of teeth on thelayoff.com right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Sr. Engineer let slip in our stand up that he’s being moved to a contract role. So I think my theory is mostly right. Can’t wait to see what else is happening!
e: So here's what's happening. if you don't work in a 'strategic office,' you get an offer you can't refuse from Tata: work for them or get canned.

Woof Blitzer fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jul 14, 2020