Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

This can't be stated enough. You're going to deal with the shittiest software you've ever seen, all sold in various flavors of unsigned ActiveX controls from 2003, requiring JRE6, etc. It's a clown show.

You're also going to have to secure it all; we have systems that are only supported under 2008 SP2, for instance. Can't move it forward in any way without breaking support or the condition of the application.

Also, look forward to constant, unrelenting audits. Hope you know your way around Crystal and/or SQL reporting.

I work at a credit union with a bunch of people who have worked at other credit unions and banks, and this is very true at the vast majority.

There are a few pushing forward, though; we've already got a bunch of production workstations on Windows 10, most of our servers are 2012 r2, and most of the servers going forward are going to be server 2016.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Extremely Penetrated posted:

Could I please get a reality check on my career prospects?
My skillset: VMware; SANs; AD; Windows Server; Backups; Monitoring; Config Management (SCCM for 7000 machines); MS SQL (Ops, not Dev or BI); PowerShell. Enough Linux knowledge to be dangerous. I support a litany of internal apps that don't matter anywhere else. No cloud poo poo, no certs or degrees. Post-secondary education was just a trade school diploma in Networking.

I currently have an excellent job, by any metric. I'm a generalist sysadmin for the government. Compensation is 100k with 4 weeks of vacation and hopefully a defined-benefit pension in 25 years. I live in a rural area with a relatively low cost of living, and the commute is 20 minutes. Management has only the vaguest idea of what I do or how I do it, so everything gets filtered through my team lead, who's a great guy and has mentored me where he can. Our IT infrastructure is solid and modern.

But it's a trap. I feel sick picturing myself in this cube for 25 more years (it's been 7 already), and I can't imagine significantly improving my situation here. I could get a team lead job for another 8% plus management's bullshit, but otherwise I'm at the level cap. I'll never be management/executive material and I'm not entreprenurial. I think the best I could hope for is moving far away to a nice climate, while not taking too much of a pay cut.

I'm totally aware that lots of people would kill for my job, and that for effort:reward I should just sit back and coast until retirement. I feel guilty and ungrateful even posting this. But how unreasonable is it to try to get an equivilent-or-better role in, say, New Zealand? Could I even hope for an interview without certing up and/or getting a degree?

What is going on in the rest of your life? I used to live in a rural area, and could still be there, probably doing a lot better financially just because of the cost of living differences, and having nothing better to do than hang out with my parents. But there's also a good chance I would have sucked on the wrong end of a 9mm, because I loving hate rural areas.

Are you married? Do you have kids? Do you really like the outdoors, or doing yardwork? Do you just want to spend your time playing video games or reading or watching media at home, by yourself? If your answers to all of those questions are "no," then you're probably bored to loving tears, and don't realize it just because you're comfortable. If you're working for the feds, you can probably transfer to a city fairly easily, and actually have poo poo to do with your off time. Otherwise, I recommend stashing as much cash as you can, riding out the next 20 years or so, and retiring at 50.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

theperminator posted:

Even without the VPN, choking the net connection with other crap isn't gonna help.

How do you do remote access securely then?

I believe his response will be along the lines of "remote access what-ly?"

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Proteus Jones posted:

The billable work is weird because typically Information Security is a cost center at the corporate or regional level (depending on if you have a local security group under the corp security group). Charging departments for security audits, assessments and operational activities is just weird, especially if it's mandatory. It will probably cause cost cutting or austerity practices in terms of personnel and/or hardware and software licensing to offset the new charge against their cost center.

However, the Information Security department being on a completely independent reporting line from IT is good practice. But typically the CISO *is* that EVP or reporting to the COO or CEO directly or CSO who also oversees operational and physical security).

Yeah, you'd think charging departments based on how much security checking they do would create some terrible perverse incentives.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Sepist posted:

My bosses last day was today. No goodbye email, no lunch with coworkers, no socializing whatsoever. He's been on PTO since he announced his resignation. Came in, handed off some last minute knowledge, surrendered his laptop and security fobs, and was gone. Never had a coworker that I was close to leave in such a fashion, kind of weird.

Sepist posted:

Little bit of both. Management is pretty pissed he refused their juicy counter-offer and he's pretty pissed at them for making GBS threads all over any of his business input. I never gave him any grief though, he could have went to lunch with me :|
If he was in a making GBS threads contest with management, he did you a favor; you don't want to be seen socializing with the guy upper management hates, and he probably realized that.

Shoot him an email if you got along well with him, ask him to grab lunch and catch up in a couple of weeks.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Dallas is like Boston thought it was 15 years ago, which is to say, we're the best city and we're quite happy to tell you that.
Dallas is definitely way better than anyplace on the West Coast.

You should move to Dallas instead of here, is what I'm saying.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Peachfart posted:

I'm going to be :yotj: soon once I finish my CCNA this month, and frankly the biggest thing I'm worried about is how to dress for my interviews. I live in Seattle, which is fairly casual, but I am used to my company(which I have worked with for 10+ years) which just recently stopped requiring non-managers such as myself to wear ties.
Maybe a trivial thing to worry about, but I have gone through so many internal interviews that the knowledge check and 'talk about yourself' portions don't worry me as much.

I have heard of places that consider wearing a suit to an interview a negative, but I've never actually seen one myself, and it's usually hip startups I hear that about. The recruiter for my current employer told me to wear one to an interview unprompted (and this is a place where IT is explicitly exempted from the dress code), but I have historically asked "I normally wear a suit to an interview, is that appropriate?". If there's some secret anti-suit bullshit that they're going to lie about, you probably don't want to work there anyway, and saying you normally wear one makes it seem less like you're trying to weasel your way into an interview with shorts and sandals.

Here's the thing about interviews: it's a loving crap shoot. The single biggest factor in whether or not you get a job is how good the other applicants are. And that is something you have zero control over. How you present yourself is something you do have control over, and if they're looking at two people with similar credentials, and one of them appears to give enough of a poo poo about the job to show up in a suit and the other doesn't, they're probably going to go with the guy who gives a poo poo. This goes double if they include non-technical people on the interview panel, who are going to judge you mostly on the kind of impression you make, and the level of professionalism you display.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Starkk posted:

I'm in Seattle and my company still requires ties for everyone, you can prob guess who I work for just from those two bits of info :(
Wait, what? Seriously? Perkins Coie? K&L Gates? Like, is there really a tech company out here requiring ties for everyone? How the gently caress do they retain employees?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Being actually at work helps keep me on-task, and also helps stop me from associating my home with work. I like the physical and psychological separation it provides.

Having a twenty-minute walk to work probably doesn't hurt, either.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

This is less of an IT-related question and more of a learning thing, but it's pertinent to working in the field I think. And hopefully I'm not the only one that has problems with this.

In short, there is a lot of things that I feel I need to learn in order to stay relevant and advance my career. I can't really program - I've only ever created a few basic one or two-liner scripts in Powershell, though it makes sense to me - and I'd like to learn Python. I can barely use Linux, and I want to learn to do so. I want to pass the CCNA Security exam within a year. Etc.

Basically I want to learn so many things that I end up half-assing everything and I don't make measurable progress on any of them. My workplace isn't the most conducive to picking up new skills via interesting projects (add "look for a new job" to that list above), so I don't get a ton of on-the-job opportunities to learn except during downtime when I can bring up Pluralsight or open a book.

Basically just looking for any general advice in the area of how you decide what to prioritize, how you structure your studies, etc. I kind of feel like I never properly "learned how to learn" and it kind of sucks. The fact that you have to stay abreast with trends and new technologies is what drew me to this field, and I still love that aspect, but I can't help but feel that my skill set isn't progressing fast enough.
For both my A+ and my Network+, I had a friend who wanted to study for them, so we set aside time every week to study. Since there were two of us, accountability was inherent. It sounds like you're a little beyond that, but if you can find a friend who wants to do CCNA, that might be a good way to go.

Certs are good for studying for because they're a very clear goal, with an endpoint (passing the test). It can really help to discipline and direct your studies, plus it's something you can put on a resume.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I have terrible imposter syndrome. Honestly, I think by some pretty clear objective measures I'm pretty much an imposter, flat out.

I'd been working small-shop IT for seven years (and really doing bupkis as far as any sort of growth or learning goes) when I got a job in desktop support, mostly on the strength of my interview (I'm very good at interviewing), but also because I'd just gotten my A+. My boss really likes me because I got hella good reviews on my tickets, but that's mostly because I'm just really personable, and the users are really nice here, so as long as I'm apologetic when I gently caress up, they're fine. I spent eight months doing that and learning that I didn't know loving poo poo about actual IT, and then a dude quit who had been here for 12 years and was largely single-handedly responsible for managing our core database. They added some responsibilities to his job, then split it in three, and my boss told me to apply for one of the three, and basically handed to me on a silver platter. It's a loving fantastic job that allows me to grow into being a DBA without needing to be one to start.

I have one coworker who is ten years younger than me, went to school for this poo poo (I majored in Political Science), already has way more certs than I do, and knows more about my job than I do (he got cross-trained by the guy who was leaving). I feel like I ask him way too many questions. The dude who replaced me in my old job is currently going to school for this poo poo, is twelve years younger than me, has more certs than I do, and knows a lot more about most of the job than I do in spite of my having done it for eight months; I'm lucky in that I have some more practical experiences than he did, so can occasionally get one over on him. The VP who's likely about to become CFO thinks that I'm the only one in IT worth a poo poo, mostly I think because I'm the main one he interacts with, and his protege is a friend of mine.

I do my damnedest to let my coworkers know how much I appreciate them. I love my team, I love my job, but I've just been extraordinarily lucky. I earned my Network+ a couple of months ago, and really need to buckle down now on some Oracle certs, get some better idea of what the gently caress I'm doing, so I'm less reliant on our software vendor for queries; the last couple of months, I've gotten to the point where I feel comfortable correcting some of their queries (usually typos, or misnamed columns), and actually wrote my first query for a fix a couple of weeks ago (goddamn printer interface for our software wouldn't load correctly, and had apparently been like that for at least a couple of years; it was a null that just needed a value), and stuff like that is about all that keeps me from thinking "they're going to fire me anytime, because I'm not nearly good enough at this."

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The mandatory five-day no-contact every year is one of the advantages of working in the financial industry.

Though, I'm otherwise a big fan of taking my vacation as long weekends during the summer. Took a week to go to Taiwan this year (the first time I've left the country in, like, twenty years, aside from Canada) and loving loved it.

It's a super-easy place to visit, even if you don't speak the language, and has hella cheap, delicious food. If you don't know what else to do with your vacation, I recommend it.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Dallas is nice. You should move there.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I just finished my on-call shift. $200 for a week on call, really not bad. And it's a six-person rotation, so it's not terrifically frequent, either. Only real downside is not being able to drink much those weekends.

What's the thread consensus on BYOD versus two phones? My work gives me an iPhone SE (which is fine for an email/texting/calling device), but we also have Boxer as a BYOD option. Does the one-phone convenience outweigh the separation of personal and professional that comes with two devices?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Verizon just shut off our internet for lack of payment.

:allears:
They did this to us one time. They sent the alert to a number that didn't exist anymore. This was in spite of the fact that just about a month before this, I'd gone through auditing and updating our contact information with them. One of the few times I've gotten angry with a rep I'm talking to over the phone.

Their response was basically "oh, you meant that contact information? You needed to fill out this other form..."

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

What company doesn't give food to their contractors but gives food to their full timers? Like are the contractors suppose to sit there and watch everyone else eat? IDGI.

Microsoft is notorious for this. It's like a loving caste system, and the contractors are Untouchables.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Matt Zerella posted:

3rd rejection. This time I did 2 interviews and I really loving wanted this job. This loving sucks and I feel like crap.

I'm not saying you shouldn't examine your interview skills, resumes, cover letters, etc., but keep in mind that finding a job is--to a certain extent--roulette. You have to be lucky enough that they liked your resume, your cover letter, and your interview more than whoever else they happened to look at. It may not even be that another person was "better" than you, but that they just happened to not hit some pet peeve of the interviewer or something that you did, that they only found one spelling mistake in the other person's cover letter, but two in yours (even though theirs had five and yours only had two), that they were looking for someone with widget X skills specifically, and you've never even heard of widget X, or it's so obscure you didn't bother putting it on your resume and your interviewer wasn't the one making the hiring decision, so didn't ask you about it, or they really don't like Helvetica at the place you're applying and that's the font you chose to use, etc., etc., etc.

Definitely try to improve the things you can, but keep in mind that a huge portion of the job hunt is just completely outside your control, and there's absolutely nothing you can do about.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

What's the pay like for a HHAOYHEMACFSDCIAFFKS WGSDCSALTDRSAILIPSFWIABIFLTA-6,000,000-OMTCFAIABD?

The real question here is did you go through that post manually and do that, or did you automate it?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

insidius posted:

tl;dr

Accidentally senior management. Not feeling confident enough in any aspect of what I do to cement down a career direction moving forward, what have others done?
I don't know that I have any specific advice for your leadership vs. technical question, but you should bail on that company as hard and as quickly as loving possible, and take as much of your team with you as you possibly can. gently caress those guys. You made a shitload of money for people who really, really don't deserve it.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I've never taken one of the Microsoft tests, but from what I've heard, it sounds like they're built around making you memorize Microsoft's marketing materials.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

People have billed for interviews before. Under no circumstances will you get any money, but sometimes the best revenge is being petty and firing a shot because why not? (e: Under no circumstances should anyone ever do what I say)

I do genuinely wonder when it crosses the line into billable, though. Theoretical - I am an hourly consultant, and you brought me in for an interview. That interview never took place, through your own negligence. That is lost hours and lost wages. There's always a line - I wonder where it is in this case?

IANAL, but you can probably send them an invoice for that. If they pay it, should be clean. Trying to force collection of it, though, is a whole other story.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Goddamn you guys interviewing is hard.

While interviewing a heavyset candidate, I nearly used the phrase "trim the fat" and had to spin so loving hard on my heels to make it sound natural when I said "trim the extras".
As a fat dude that's a butchering term. You don't want to work with anyone who would take offense at the phrase.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

I just declined my 2nd snooty steak house invite of the quarter. I just dont have the desire anymore. No amount of free booze and 30$ sides of mash potatoes gets my butt in a seat to talk to vendor salesmen. I would rather see my kids.

Valet only parking? That’s a no from me dog.

This is why I don't have kids.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Matt Zerella posted:

Recruiter thinks an offer is coming but its going to be contract to hire. God loving dammit employers are loving garbage. I'll probably take it and keep looking. You cant commit to me, I'm keeping my options open.

This is the correct move. Though, watch it if they try to slip a non-compete in on you.

Sprechensiesexy posted:

These are by no means senior level positions, 2+ years experience required so when an expert level applicant comes along we pay extra attention. So far my impression is that we act on a good faith basis which means we have some ugly interviews but I prefer that to the adversarial and distrustful stuff like drug tests, references, background checks and salary histories.

Washington State is in the process of banning the salary history question, and if you're asked that, it should be a red flag.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Aunt Beth posted:

Does Microsoft have a system center thing like this that I’ve managed to never hear about? Because getting all of our random Task Scheduler jobs centralized would be amazing.

There are a bunch of Windows options out there for job management. We use Automic Applications Manager, because it's the solution our main software vendor supports. From the perspective of someone who's only used Task Scheduler otherwise, it's... Pretty good. Setup is fairly arcane (at least for our use case), but once it's up it's pretty robust. Scheduling can get really complex, you can use SQL queries as job variables, and the scheduler can schedule just about anything you can imagine (run the job in the third, unless the third is a weekend, in which case run it in the following Monday? No problem).

It is not terribly intuitive, however.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Aunt Beth posted:

I’m fine with unintuitive. I see it’s a CA product. Does that mean it costs an arm and a leg?

We're licensed through our software vendor, who includes this with their software that costs roughly your first-, second-, and third-born, so probably.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Ranter posted:

Does the cost to this department also include all the additional hours required by the rest of IT to support MacOS? Developing systems and processes for deploying and managing MacOS, creation of documentation/KB for L1 support, changes to enterprise systems to support Mac, etc? There's more than just hardware $$ at play.

Cost of ownership is a concept that too many executives/managers/teams have never heard of and/or thought about.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Fcdts26 posted:

How many of you have separate work cell phones? Feel like my phone never shuts off with work crap and iOS is awful at automating turning notifications on/off or only allowing certain things to alert me. Considering just getting a cheap android google fi phone and moving everything over to that. Company gives me $200 a month towards a phone and home internet.

My work provides a separate phone for me. I prefer it. Yeah, carrying a second phone is a pain in the rear end, but I like the separation it helps me to maintain.

We have a six-person weekly on-call rotation, during which we occasionally get pages in the middle of the night; I sleep the sleep of the dead, so I need something real loud and annoying. I pump that phone through a bluetooth speaker with the most annoying ringtone I could find.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

The problem is if the boss goes down the whole department will go with it, myself included.
One particular person who holds all the cards (and literally only that person) has a serious hard-on for keeping him, and it would take destruction of the whole 'In-House ITS' system to remove him. Every other director has been complaining about him for years. Nobody can tolerate him. He's pmuch turned over his entire department in the last 18 months and hasn't been able to keep new employees. Every previous employee has burned him in their exit, I heard that one even filed a sexual harassment suit. One guy (before my time) even tried to fight him in the parking lot.
Now he can't even get new people hired because he's doing some sneaky bait-and-switch bullshit:
He calls potential hires in for a "face to face hiring interview with the IT manager." But when they show up, there's only an empty room with a laptop and a document loaded on the screen that says "Assessment - Test"

What the gently caress? Seriously, pull the ripcord.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Going through training and met a database admin fresh out of college. He didn't really know what an odba admin does. He very sure he's got one of the best jobs in the company though, and he's super excited to do database adminstration.

Sweet, sweet summer child. I'm not gonna tell him.
This is sorta where I am now, only I'm 36. :(

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The exempt/non-exempt labor laws may as well not exist. As long as you're making over the minimum, businesses will declare you "exempt." That limit desperately loving needs to be raised to somewhere on the level of $75,000, but the Chamber of Commerce-types are fighting hard against the minimal increase the Obama administration tried to do, and I somehow doubt the Trump administration is going to take up the mantle on it.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Alfajor posted:

I had an interview for an SRE role last Friday. They said I was 1 of 2 candidates, and that I would hear back by today, the following Friday.
It is now 11am, at what point do I assume I didn't get it since I haven't heard anything? :ohdear:
Most of the time when a company tells you "we'll be back to you by X," assume they mean "within four weeks of X." HR attracts incompetence.

I use a wireless Logitech trackball (because you have to buy the wired ones from eBay for $90+) with my laptops (a $250 Acer Chromebook for personal and a Lenovo T480 for work) because the first thing I like to do with any laptop is turn the touchpad off. I'm not sure if it's because I have big hands or bad ergonomics (probably both), but the touchpad being on means me inevitably clicking around various points on the screen whenever I try to type more than a sentence.

Also, I've said this before, but two monitors is such a small investment for such a huge loving return. When my office moved HQs, they gave everyone dual monitors, and it was awesome.

If your employer is making you work on a single sub-19" monitor, you need to :yotj:.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

DigitalMocking posted:

One of our clients fell for a spoofed email and sent > 50k to "Our CFO Ms. Lisa" and was mad at us. :confused:

Can you send me his email address?

I think he's about to get contacted by the FBI's anti-fraud division. I'm sure once he gives them all the account info, they'll be able to help!

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
My company has a policy to cash out pto on request.

We have a hiring freeze right now, and this is reminding me I want to cash out about half of the 200-odd hours I have accrued.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Nerdrock posted:

i got.. not fired. My PTO was spent going to doctors and dealing with buying/selling a house, so my paternity leave is "congratulations you're just not getting paid for the week you were with your family in the hospital" and also "doesn't matter if you've put 10 days into the 'sick bank' its only there to request from for when YOU'RE sick so gently caress you"
That is not, in fact, what sick time is for. And if you are in some locales (California, Seattle), they are in fact legally required to let you use your sick time to care for a family member.

EDIT: I'm just assuming you're in America, because I can't imagine this happening in a civilized country.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Kashuno posted:

are you loving kidding me

Welcome to solo-IT for a small shop.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Internet Explorer posted:

That's true, but you're generally not paying your solo-IT guy for a small shop 28k a year. And they generally have a little more experience. Otherwise you're basically playing roulette with your business. No offense, Defenestrategy.

Are you not from America?

"Small shop" means "half-rear end everything, treat your employees like poo poo, and expect the loving world from them while providing them with zero budget."

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

lampey posted:

You can look at glassdoor to see what the competition is paying. The local market is more important than trends. Title inflation, can make it hard to compare roles. Differences in other benefits, and differences in expectations around availability and required experience for the same role will all effect salary. Generally non profit and education will pay less even with similar benefits. The specific job and the group you are working with matter more than the generalities.

Also ask your coworkers what they are making and share what you are making. Especially if you are planning on leaving there is no downside. Having info on the other salaries helps with negotiating your raise or salary after promotion. Most employers are not going to give a 20% raise without a promotion. Saying the raise/promotion is coming, wait a few months is a lie to keep you from leaving. Staying around while ty ou look for more promising opportunities is fine.
This isn't true 100% of the time, but it's true often enough that you should treat it like it's true 100% of the time.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

CLAM DOWN posted:

Scotch/whisky is disgusting...

Mods...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The retaliatory bourbon tariffs are probably going to more than make up for any of the losses from that warehouse collapse.