Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
The median income (and success rate) for IT is probably significantly higher than artists, writers and youtube personalities. But I don't actually have any real statistics on that.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Methanar fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Aug 6, 2016

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Methanar fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Aug 6, 2016

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Does the US not have either of those. I've heard of you guys not doing butter tarts or ketchup chips.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I negotiated myself an extra 68 cents an hour. :suicide:

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I wonder what the insurance is.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Sickening posted:

Someone with that kind drive and talent is a valuable human being.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

I'm surprised to find that I'm thoroughly enjoying learning basic IPv4 subnetting with Keith Barker's CBT Nuggets course, and it's going easy.

Had a hard time getting used to the way he sounds like he's always about to laugh at something, but now it's kind of endearing?

That's just the stockholm syndrome setting in.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
gently caress email jesus christ

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I just set up my first email server completely from scratch, hosted locally, proper SSL/TLS* with IMAPS.

It took 30 hours but I'm so proud of it. Now I'm never doing it again.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

I make bad life decisions

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Well I got treated like an equal today and it was pretty nice. Until they told me I'd be cleaning the yard (raking loving dirt) for the next 4 days. I had already set up my own desk and build my own computer, put it on the domain and then I was pulled away to be told lolyourrakingdirt. I was given a tour, told about the AD structure, projects, shown the server room; then dirt.

If I wasn't so spineless I should have immediately said "No. There has been a misunderstanding here. I am here for a reason and that reason is not cleaning your yard."

Methanar fucked around with this message at 03:13 on May 5, 2015

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
The explanation was that they have some Chinese company coming to look around and they wanted to make a good impression. Therefore make a bunch of new people springclean the yard. If I wasn't in such a crowded room at the time I would have spoken up, but being with so many other people who were okay with the yard cleaning ruined me. I'm sure that was intended.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Second actual IT job. I'll just go clean their yard I guess and express my displeasure to someone who seems important at lunch.

On one hand I don't want to immediately piss off people for not following instructions or being difficult. On the other hand: are you loving serious.

Methanar fucked around with this message at 14:32 on May 5, 2015

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Methanar posted:

raking loving dirt

I lied. I didn't have a rake. So instead for 8 hours today I picked up this trash by hand and all the other trash on whats maybe 500 acres.

SaltLick posted:

It's that catch all bullet point in the job description.

Other duties as assigned.

I thought about this. Then I realized it didn't excuse anything.

quote:

mowing the lawn

lol

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

1) Their employer is hilariously overpaying someone (the IT worker) to do yard work and is thus probably not run all that great, or

This actually made me feel better, until my back got sore.

quote:

DateDetailed Forecast
Tonight Cloudy. Rain beginning this evening then changing to snow overnight. Snowfall amount 2 cm. Wind east 20 km/h gusting to 40 becoming northwest 50 gusting to 70 this evening. Low minus 2.
Wed, 6 May Snow becoming mixed with rain in the afternoon. Snowfall amount 2 cm. Wind northwest 40 km/h gusting to 60. High plus 3.
Night Clearing near midnight. Low minus 6.
Thu, 7 May Sunny. High 8.
Night Clear. Low minus 5.
Fri, 8 May Cloudy with 60 percent chance of showers. High 9.
Night Clear. Low minus 1.

I hope it snows so the land is extra miserable so I can finally force myself to go talk to someone.

I tried to go and talk to the guy who gave me a personal speech on the first day and made me feel somewhat valued, 3 times, but he wasn't around or in his office for any of them.

Methanar fucked around with this message at 00:48 on May 6, 2015

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Methanar fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Aug 6, 2016

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
It was freezing in there too.

lol what the gently caress am I doing

Methanar fucked around with this message at 00:17 on May 7, 2015

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I went from literally hand picking garbage to full domain admin over the weekend.
I already hate Lotus notes 7.

Also pick up your stuff up tomorrow morning and then leave and don't go back.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Internet Explorer posted:

Lotus Notes 7?

You're joking, right?

Nope.

I made 3 new accounts today for it and it was awful. It can't even route mail across the internet; LAN only. My raspberrypi email server is more capable than that, easier to use too.

For some reason this place has zero vlans and two subnets, but has 3 huge rear end l3 switches from the early 2000s for all their networking.

e; Yeah, that was my raspberrypi.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Just incase somebody didn't believe me.

I also found a bunch of cool stuff while cleaning out the server room today, which had an AC failure and went up to 40 celsius at one point.

What's this?

Christmas goodies bags from 2009.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I don't know but so far I'm a janitor/garbageman with domain admin.

I looked inside of a wiring closest today and the phone lines were a giant twisted ball maybe 10cm in diameter. I will not be touching it.

I guess I will be fighting a lot with an older guy who is actually pretty computer savvy and keeps his job interesting by loving up everything he touches and pretending to be braindead.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Dick Trauma posted:

I seriously would like to know the 1993 information technology strategy. Does it include "BUY BULK FLOPPIES" and "this World Wide Web thing sounds stupid"?

I'll check it out tomorrow.

Does anyone have a good primer for understanding vcenter/big boy virtualization and determining the proper number of cpu licenses to buy

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
In other news:

gently caress printers. One user's solution to not having a second network drop for the printer was to go out and purchase a wireless home router. I felt bad for the guy when I explained to him why it wouldn't work. He really wanted to help. :smith:

Snippet of the 1993 IT strategy guide for the guy who wanted it. It had lots of talk of Novell/IBM and cost justification.

I also learned today that our only domain controller is from 2003. With no redundancy

Related to my printer issues today
:nws: http://i.imgur.com/k9kV3HX.jpg :nws:

ayy

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Honestly that's what I tried to do, but he bought total garbage from dlink and I couldn't even put it into a switch-like mode. So until I can get a proper 2 port switch or something for him he's just going to have to be patient.

I'm so remote ordering one would take 4+ weeks and nobody here sells them off the shelf.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

The Fool posted:

Even such places as office max carry non terrible 5 port gigabit switches for very little money.

The only thing within 150km is a single Source and they don't stock switches.

quote:

don't use the wan port"

I'm retarded. This is so obvious.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Methanar fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Aug 6, 2016

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Not mine.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Colonial Air Force posted:

Also, don't gently caress around with taxes. You might hate them, you might be the Ron Paulest, Aynd Randest, most Libertarian of tax detesters, but the IRS will throw you in real prison.

And you won't be able to say "Well my employer was doing it!" because they don't care.

You still have tax prisons? What

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Nintendo Kid posted:

Uh, why wouldn't you go to prison for actively refusing to pay your taxes and actively refusing to sign up to a tax payment plan int he event that you legit can't afford to?

People in tax prison aren't generating income tax revenue.

Methanar fucked around with this message at 02:30 on May 21, 2015

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Methanar fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Aug 6, 2016

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I'm about to talk with some VMware architect and its going to be a million miles over my head

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Methanar fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Aug 6, 2016

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
hey

hey you

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
So I was part of proposing that we upgrade our 2003 non redundant and unbacked up DC, SQL server and 3 other servers that are running software that my company straight up cannot exist without

It was ridiculously unwell accepted. Nobody really seemed to care that server 2003 was EOL and that all it took was 2 hours of production to justify the cost. It was ignored when I brought up that the cost of electricity to power the mill for 25 minutes, the length of the meeting, was higher than purchasing the hardware/licensing to upgrade. Both were serious business expenses, why not take both of them seriously

"Why do we need microsoft support when you just bought that new anti virus in January"

After the meeting it was suggested

quote:

We should just unplug the DC. That'll convince them

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

quote:

medium sized

quote:

almost 1mil

What

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Dick Trauma posted:

My last boss at the last place was a West Point REMF type. Dead-eyed, humorless and he had weird communication requirements. In a conversation he wouldn't allow me to use pronouns. If I did he would immediately stop me and say "Who?" despite obvious context clues. So if I started by saying "I want to tell you about an email from the CFO" for the rest of the conversation I couldn't say "he" or else I'd get asked to specify. "Who's 'he?' I don't know who 'he' is." I had to say the CFO's name over and over or risk derailing the conversation by use of those tricky pronouns.

Thank goodness he rarely ever spoke to me because that poo poo was dumb and tedious.

My high school history teacher was like that. Pronouns were completely forbidden, contractions too with the sole exception of gov't for some reason.

You must always spell out everything in it's entirety. Even doing something like "the Domain Controller (DC). The DC..." was an immediate paragraph of red pen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

PCjr sidecar posted:

Good news! I've found the rogue DHCP server you're going to notice next week.

This was too accurate. I immediately remembered this post when I heard the issue was a 192 address.

I'm really proud of myself though because I fixed the issue, which crippled payroll's computer at like 8 this morning and soon after a bunch more. The other guy who worked there had no clue what was going on whatsoever. He took it off the domain (???) and then realized he had no local admin privileges. I actually noticed the issue a few days ago when I was going through old computers stashed in the server room. It now occurs to me the first few days I only had the issue with the old computers because they were the only ones without cached dhcp leases. I was told "don't worry about it, weird things happen all the time here"

So I turned on wireshark and, holy poo poo, someone's dlink router is giving me an address. First thing I did was go to the default gateway it assigned me to manage the device and I shitcanned DHCP server functionality, changed all the admin passwords and wrote down the MAC address.

Then I checked a bunch of ARP tables to see exactly which physical port this thing was going through and ended up finding the exact location of it and the exact time it was plugged in down to the second.

I've never been more proud of myself.

Also that guy might be fired.

Methanar fucked around with this message at 01:28 on May 27, 2015