Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

i am an IT manager for a medical school & today i have a job interview for a position with a capital firm that would may me ~60-100% more depending on range and bonus.

but im not sure i want it... i have it so cushy now, i work more or less 9-5, i get holidays, almost no after hours support.

ugh i cant tell if im just being a wussy baby who has been coddled for 10+ years and doesnt want to work anymore or what, years ago i'd have jumped at "hard work for lots of pay" like its life changing, I dont make a lot of money now (trade for the schedule/benefits).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

i am a moron posted:

Also if you’re walking into the interview paralyzed by your decision over an entirely theoretical offer people can pick up on that energy. Be loose and keep the mindset it doesn’t matter til you have something in hand.

Ya it went fine actually, and it turns out the job spec was a bit bloated. Some of that stuff literally doesn't exist in the office I'd work out of. There was talk of "VIP home support," and I was afraid that meant John would call at 10pm coked out when the UFC fight won't load, but it's more like "occasionally rack switches in the CEO's basement when hes away."

It's a step back in title and way more hands on computer janitor poo poo, but who cares? I dont have any ego about myself, i'm just a dude.

Tbh if they offered it I'd be probably leave even though I'd be dropping my "manager at an ivy league medical school" title and job which bluntly haven't gotten me poo poo. The pay is 50-88% better (pre bonus). :eyepop:

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Feb 26, 2021

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

I dont like to hire people into higher positions if they have not previously worked direct support. I also love to hire people into support roles from other high-knowledge/high-stress fields because you can teach someone to tech, you can't teach them to not be a moron or be trustworthy.

Ive turned down a bunch of roles with companies I think are gross, so thats your own moral decision to make, but don't feel bad about doing it.

I do IT in a medical education/medical clinic setting and it's definitely a bit different when you have patients in chairs or rooms with overworked providers. Just being able to handle it (assume you can as a nurse) is like 98% of the job.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

definitely avoid academic doctors :smithicide:

once you're in helpdesk spend your days become a powershell expert or something

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

I work for an organization largely seen as good but its actually pretty bad in the grand scheme of things.

because of its cache ive gotten a lot of offers that i have turned down on political stuff i dont believe in, defense contractors, anything that requires a security clearance, and once, an Israeli cybersecurity company that very creepily specifically targeted me.

I feel privileged to do so for sure and I've turned away going from "a good living wage for the area" to "maxing all of your retirement accounts" to maintain that integrity.

That said the job I interviewed for today is in the private sector. Nothing awful or anything but i'm definitely ready to get paid to make someone else money.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

mllaneza posted:

It's either that, or the vendor is out of business and there's no upgrade path. Research is doing their Win10 migration this year, and I expect to have 250-400 2000, XP, and Win 7 boxes left at the end of the year. We're praying the networked segmentation PoC goes well, or I'm breaking out the epoxy.

We did ours mostly last year and trickled into this year. We're down to about 40 Win7 machines (and only 3 winXP!!) now almost entirely in the research world. One vendor wants $75k for the upgrade, but we've been warning the group for 3 years, so that's literally going to turn into a Fight In Front of The Dean.

The good news is central IT is really swinging the hammer on legacy OS after another huge security breach so we should have some momentum to get the number down to its true bare minimum.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

i am a moron posted:

I have never seen a title on a background check in my entire life

My employer does it and is very, very strict about not inflating your role internally, but I've literally never heard about it mattering if you try to leave. Like my title is some dumb system title (Info Support Mgr IV or some crap) but locally I am the "IT Manager," and I report to the Director of IT, you know? Neither of our titles match that.

There was a clerical error after I graduated college where my degree came back as missing and they didn't even accuse me of anything, because technically the job I was applying for didn't even require it.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

We did that with an internal transfer a few years ago except that employee was actually on the outs & would have gotten a horrible review. They wound up getting asked to resign and stealing a macbook pro on the way out.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

I always like to show up to the interview high this way i've set a good baseline and don't give them any crazy ideas about my performance or abilities.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Defenestrategy posted:

I implemented snipeit back at the end of 2019 and it works really well. Unfortunately I boldly assumed 1) I wouldn't be the one solely maintaining it, 2) that I would have interns to deal with it, 3) that the amount of changes wouldn't be that many, 4) that it wouldn't be a lot of work.

I was wrong on all accounts and everytime I get bothered about keeping up with it like I don't have a million and one more pressing tasks is one step closer for me telling my boss he gets an intern to do data entry for me or he can go hat in hand to finance looking for another IT dude.

We implemented my favorite kind of inventory which is an inventory from systems management rather than from device intake and assignment. This means that if a machine drops out of view for some reason like someone breaking it or stealing it/wiping it, it just eventually drops off of the inventory. What this results in most importantly is 100% compliance because the app only knows to look for the machines it expects to see. :)

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

My job is going down the tubes super fast. I got a call back from the private sector job I interviewed with last week while I was going back and forth with HR and my boss about money.

Even if we're able to settle our current problems I need to get out of here. Leadership keeps making decision after decision without IT in mind & my team's morale is through the floor. I've been pretty miserable here for over a year (stupid loving covid) so naturally I'm putting every single egg in this basket.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

luminalflux posted:

Never had drug testing in SF. Beyond "sure let's go round the alley to test these drugs". My wife worked in HR for a tech company and had to process background checks, which were stringent only if you touched customer financial data (IT, security, some developers but far from all). No drug testing though.

apparently any job that works with the UC system drug tests :smith:

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

We've started going down that road and it's great. I can just make them do all of the hard work, we just click buttons and enter admin passwords for them.

Some of our actual vendors who do their own support though are German, and the German attitude toward support is not the same as ours, and they don't really work too many extended US hours. We have to catch them by about noon our time or it's a bust & they are delightfully rude.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

I just sat through a whole spiel about how dell's prosupport is guaranteed to be "in region" for whatever time period you buy it for (business hours, 24/7 etc)

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Thanks Ants posted:

I don't really care about stuff like that, I just want to be able to open a ticket with the service tag and a list of things I've tried, and a response telling me the ETA for a tech or some replacement parts.

yeah that was something that everyone brought up, we have a major in house support team. the occasional hump but if we are calling you we have exhausted a lot of hours already on the subject and Know What Is Wrong.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Thanks Ants posted:

Aren't there Dell certifications you can do that mean you're able to just request parts and do the work yourself?

For desktop parts but that's not all the Dell we own for sure. Its a weird agreement we have with dell thats a mix of self service and not self service.

We also have service rates over 10% for the last few batches of laptops... which is pretty rough.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

LochNessMonster posted:

Sharing accounts/passwords should be a 3 strikes your out fireable offense (and I'm being generous with 3 strikes tbh).

lol i had someone exploit a problem in our electronic medical record (giving someone access to reset passwords gave them access to something else on the same screen that allowed them to change their access level - this has been fixed) to give themselves more privileged access so they could start making changes on the fly to the production system.

this was illegal, firable, and should result in a blackballing from the industry.

we got in trouble for bringing it up. when leadership is entirely "I'm a COMPUTER IDIOT AND PROUD" people you can get totally hosed. yes, i do work at a prestigious medical school.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

The guys at my last job referred to me as Lumbersexual.
It wasn't baseless. I do love me some nice flanel and jeans, and beanies and occasionally suspenders.
...also my truck bed almost always had branches or log rounds in it. Plus the chansaw, and some wedges, a sledge and a maul. The axe stayed in the cab with me.
Anywho, you just never know when you're gonna find a downed tree in your path. Might as well make firewood out of it.

I was hiking in the fall this past year and some guy biked past me wearing a chainsaw backpack to go do some trail maintenance. My new hero.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

4 hours post interview and I still feel like throwing up.

I literally can’t think of anything else worse than interviewing for a job.

Good luck! I have a 2nd interview today in just a few hours. I'm feeling strangely confident about it. I've been miserable and underpaid at my current job for years, would literally love to just quit on them.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Also got pinged about a full remote position on LinkedIn, said sure even though I'm laser focused on this job I'm interviewing for. It's a MASSIVE increase in pay, despite giving up my Manager title.

I am mixed on fully remote. I don't mind it but one of my team members is really struggling without being in the office. I found I can dip into periods where I get annoyed that work is happening even though it's work hours? If that makes sense. Like if it slows down and I'm able to have lunch with my wife and play with the cat I get annoyed when work sucks me back in.

edit: and Job I'm Interviewing Today For was a US job with a UK recruiter :v:

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

https://whatpulse.org/app/microsoft-teams this will list the versions... but good luck getting that to map to the roadmap or "whats new"

AFAIK this is an endlessly annoying problem, especially if you have a hybrid environment (we're on prem, remote, and BYOD all at once)

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Internet Explorer posted:

Good luck to everyone interviewing! 2021 is YOTJ.

hope everyone else's went well!!! mine was with the CFO so it was entirely fit/personality based, nothing to really sweat.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Counterpoint: The CIO is obviously the most technically competent person in the organization & can clearly handle themselves. :v:

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

SlowBloke posted:

teams a/b stuff

I hate technology :negative:

But I did just get pinged about a different job that sounds like a great move... so things are looking up for ole' bus.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

angry armadillo posted:

yeah I'm advocating for automation of new user account creation but I live in the stone ages

theres a wide birth between "automation" and " dude send him a fill and sign PDF."

I'm going to be honest, I would side with the customer at this point. You could have mailed him the paperwork and had it returned at this point. Can't he print it and mail it in? Fax it? Sign it in person and send a clear picture with his phone until it can be returned?

At some point in IT we always run the risk of seeming like we -enjoy- denying the request and I've run up against it with HR and management before.

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Mar 10, 2021

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Thanks Ants posted:

Yes, and not to become the guy from office space, but there's a huge amount of value in being able to translate customer requirements into products and services that are compatible with each other.

as i get higher in my career this is the #1 actual requirement. translating seamlessly between tech/nontech tech/business.

one of the best classes i ever took was one on how to communicate risk. it's led to me being like "this could cost us $53,000 and costs $2,000 to mitigate via X & Y" not "SoMeThInG bAd WiLl HaPpEn!!!"

The job i'm interviewing for is basically a step back in title but is doing... that... for like 20 VIPs.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

freeasinbeer posted:

I got a 3.1 % raise....

And 50k in RSUs and a 19% bonus. I walked out of that meeting 90k “richer”.

Niiiice congrats hope you invested it right in gamestop :D

edit: can i just say ive worked in IT going on 16 years and i hope all of your are millionaires because people on this board regularly talk millions of circles around my knowledge level. while i owe tons to lurking this forum as a teen it contributes a lot to imposter syndrome now.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

I commute 90 minutes each way on public transit in the before times. It was killing me

New possible gig would be about 1:10 on trains. Just not possible to live in the city really, or at least we have no interest. My wife walks to work though.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Last raise I got was in 2019, it was like 2%.

1.1% growth compared to inflation over 6 years.
-0.3% growth compared to local COL over 6 years.
no bonuses obviously. all we get is 5% matching to our 403b.
the other benefits are good dont want to pretend they arent and its higher ed schedule.
I made more in 2015 as an OT eligible senior tech than I do today as a manager.

But I just got off the phone with a final interview for a private company that is going to offer between an 82 and 88% raise. Life changing money. Plus bonuses.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

skipdogg posted:

Get that paper, it's a shame companies/institutions don't do more to keep good employees around and job hopping becomes necessary.

I work for a prestigious university and they bank on people jerking themselves off for working there, but it completely resembles every other job/workplace i've ever been in.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

i am a moron posted:

Anyone not giving IT folks flexible options is about to have a really hard time attracting and retaining talent

I got pinged about another job that's F/T remote and remains Manager in title (eh) and I think it's going to be a match, but it's less money (by a bunch) and it's fully remote. I'm not sure how I feel about being just a full time remote manager. Feels like way too many zoom one-on-ones and crap and not a lot of interesting work.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

I'm an introvert in the literal sense, I love to go home and recharge. I spend a lot of time at home. But that's because this job is very social (especially higher ed+healthcare) and I miss my team, who own. I mean I'll miss them if I get this new gig and quit but that's different.

I just miss the continuity of work, but we're also supporting on-prem stuff too. And I miss some of my work friends, not everyone is horrible. It sounds like the "new gig" would be mostly on site - the company it's overly flexible as a rule but they're learning. My commute now is 1:30+ (in the before times, it's coming soon, I'm already 2x vaccinated, if work orders me in I have no reason to protest) so this would still be better. Plus it's closer to all of my university friends from a previous role, and there are way way better options to eat.

Also I'll be making double with a bonus, so that. I can buy new friends.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Honey Im Homme posted:

I love WFH, I started a new job in March 2020, went to the office for a week then was told to WFH until told otherwise, some of my team have been WFH forever so I guess this will just continue.

What I don't like is job ads claiming WFH until "covid is over" what does that even mean!! Is there going to be a mission accomplished moment where everyone decides to head back to the office?

This and recs that are listed as "Remote" but then when you read it says "must be expected to live nearby" or "remote for now" only in the body :( Also the "this may continue forever" is so vague. If it definitely will even if you need local I dont care if its a bad location. If you could suddenly demand it in august on one dudes whim... I need to know.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

We have a very small facility and a student who is allergic to dairy, like extremely allergic. So the entire facility is dairy free. They only buy oat milk poo poo for the coffee now.

Forgot about that, another reason to hope I am quitting within a week.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Neddy Seagoon posted:

My guess has been that bosses like that don't want written-in-ink policy on permanent WFH because they want the peons back under their observation again one day, but at the same time they know they can't make it happen. Making it indefinitely-temporary means the peons can be recalled back into their cubicles the first chance it's possible.

but like i know its "uncertain times" but how the hell can i take a job not knowing if someday in the future my costs will skyrocket due to a commute, you know?

every employee deserves to know the conditions they'll be working in (more or less, every IT job I've ever had has of course changed in scope) before accepting the job.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

CLAM DOWN posted:

I just changed managers again, as my old boss came back from mat leave. The manager I've had for the last....year and a half? was a non-technical person. She absolutely excelled at the role, and I miss her already. She truly understood how to manage human beings with empathy and patience, and was able to be firm where necessary. She completely understood that she did not have the technical knowledge, and openly relied on my team to give her any required info or background. She was able to make correct security decisions and guide our team despite not having that technical ability.

It requires a very competent and people-oriented mindset to be an IT manager when you are not technical. My old boss nailed it. I'm feeling like that's pretty rare, and we got lucky.

I have half of this right now. We're a small department, I'm the manager, she's the director. She's pretty non technical but overall she makes strong business decisions and very strong security decisions - occasionally pinging me on background for a technical review of something 'at her level.'

But overall she's not a good manager of people which sucks a lot.

edit: Im on day 3 of waiting to hear about potential new job with big raise :ohdear:

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

George H.W. oval office posted:

That moment when you check out and don't give a gently caress what happens is a great feeling. It's this weird mental burden that just floats away.

My boss specifically noted I've been super flexible lately and willing to do "whatever is best for the business," but really I'm just wayyyy checked out and like one piece of official paperwork from resigning.

I've been told I got the new job but don't have the official offer/paperwork in front of me. 82% raise before bonus. Didn't even look at the benefits, I can buy new benefits.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

So the company that just hired me for 82% more is European and my state has a law against asking current comp. It absolutely netted me 5-15K more.

I named a number and they flat out said "he can't be on that much at <current employer>, no way." And they asked if the go-between would ask me, and he replied he couldn't. They mulled it over and made me an offer at the bottom of my range (yes I brass balled this one) which was their stretch amount.

edit: And it was a blind email on linkedin for a title below my current one but for up to $70,000 more if I had topped the range. I got like 65k more, and I never ever would have seen this job without LinkedIn, even if I were looking, because of the title. I've never met this recruiter before, he lives in the UK and I live on the East Coast USA.

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Mar 19, 2021

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

The Iron Rose posted:

Also negotiating well is a skillset that is usually relevant to the job you’re hired to do. Last time this happened when talking to the head HR I literally said word for word “would you really want to hire me if I was a poor negotiator” and got an offer.

my current company is so bad, i'm constantly fending off offers for more money (admittedly they have not been the right fit) and i asked them for an 8k raise with demonstrated math on why that was a fair number, and they are stonewalling me.

resigning is going to feel soooo good. just waiting on background check stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Pretty sure my headline got me my new extremely high paying job, no joke.

Not sure I recommend having your "about" be a title you don't hold on a public page tied to your employer - if you list your current employer that is.