Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

J
Jun 10, 2001

skipdogg posted:

I love my cars but they're a stupid as gently caress financial decision.

Yeah my late 90s econobox is in great shape and can probably keep going for quite some time. But all the cars I'm interested in tend to be more towards the mid life crisis car variety. So expensive. :qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J
Jun 10, 2001

How much depth is in the top opening of one of those things? How many of them will be ruined when someone thinks it's a trash can and throws a drink in it? :v:

J
Jun 10, 2001

Race Realists posted:

crossposting from the thread i made since no one seems to want to answer there

I've just recently finished my community college course and should be getting my Associates in about a month. I want to start off as a help desk and work my way up to Network/server Admin, but a majority of those jobs require a Bachelors. Now here's the thing: A great majority of the Network Admin jobs I see out there ask for a Bachelors in CS instead of C I S. The Comp. Science course at the college I have my eyes set on looks tough, but I'll power on through it if I have to

Always remember that job requirements on a posting are generally a wishlist - you don't have to hit 100% of the checkboxes on their list. Get your foot in the door somewhere, it's common to get started on the helpdesk. Wherever you end up, once you get a bit of a feel for the workplace and what you have access to, try to get to know some of the admins there. This varies from place to place but some of those guys might be getting tasked with stupid bullshit that you may be able to help them with. If you can demonstrate that you are willing to learn and not a huge risk of destroying anything you get in contact with, you might be able to get them to show you the ropes on some of the stuff you're more interested in.

J
Jun 10, 2001

I'm already in shape but will happily agree to keep doing what I'm already doing if it peer pressures anyone to get in shape. :colbert:

J
Jun 10, 2001

psydude posted:

Dealing with stupid poo poo was a lot more pleasant with a runner's high.

I used to have some pretty crazy mood swings sometimes. Just the dumbest poo poo would set me off. I could go from upbeat to steaming mad in no time, over little things. Then I got off my rear end and got into shape and all those mood swings just stopped. It was a really pleasant surprise, and makes it much easier to focus on stuff that is actually important with a clear head.

J
Jun 10, 2001

I want to get WDS/MDT setup. Unfortunately I'm facing a problem: volume licensing, or lack thereof. My understanding is that we don't have imaging rights without a volume license for windows. There is no way in hell I would ever get the $ approved to buy a volume license that would cover all of our computers, at least not going by the quotes I'm getting on Microsoft's site. Most of our computers are just running OEM keys. What's my best path to getting this environment converted over to a volume licensing setup? Do I just need to get a smaller volume license and then add more licenses to that count over time once I can get more $ approved?

J
Jun 10, 2001

FISHMANPET posted:

My current job is just awful in about 16 different ways, so I'm looking to jump ship. I think I'm looking for some kind of not entry-level Windows admin job, anybody care to take a look at my resume and critique it? I've actually paid for the resume2interview service from the guy here on SA, but he just kept trying to turn me into a help desk drone, even after I explicitly said that's not what I'm looking for, so I just gave that up. I suppose I could pass him this and see if there's any polishing to be done, but any thoughts from the experts here?

Bolded part concerns me quite a bit. I'm in a similar boat as you and was considering using that service but not if it's going to be geared toward helpdesk stuff. Was that resume you posted the one you got from the service?

J
Jun 10, 2001

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

If it's truly an entry-level IT job, the two most important things to show (in my opinion) are customer service skills, and your eagerness to learn. Being on the first line is about providing a good customer-facing side of your business/dept just as much as it is solving the problems.

Whenever they ask you about something you might not know, DO NOT BULLSHIT. Instead, get as far as you can without reaching/guessing, and then explain that's where your knowledge ends - but then explain what you'd do next. Talk to a colleague, look it up on Google, whatever.

Seconding all of this. Go in there and talk about delivering good customer service and show an eagerness to learn, without bullshitting about your technical ability or lack thereof. If you're not a creeper or complete slob, that should put you ahead of most of the others interviewing for that kind of job.

J
Jun 10, 2001

mewse posted:

Load up Doom on one of the company projectors :toot:

Load up five nights at freddy's 2 :getin:

J
Jun 10, 2001

KillHour posted:

At least you're not commission like me. Why did I ever go into sales? :shepicide:

So you can claim all the credit for the company's success when things are going well, and throw everyone else under the bus when they aren't. Duh!

J
Jun 10, 2001

We're starting to have increasingly more users requesting if we can provide them access to our windows file server on their phones, tablets, etc. These devices are their own personal devices so obviously there is a mix of operating systems at play here, and they also want to be able to access stuff from outside the office. I've been asking people who make this request for some information on their use case and what they actually want to accomplish, but I always get a vague answer back. "Oh I was just wondering." "Oh it would be faster to pull it up on my ipad instead of turning on my laptop." Those types of answers.

In my extremely brief researching of the topic I'm seeing all sorts of various third party apps popping up to provide this kind of service. Anyone have any thoughts on the best way to go about implementing something like this?

J
Jun 10, 2001

socialsecurity posted:

We've given people Pydio before it gets the job done and works on a multitude of platforms.

Thanks for the responses. My initial impression was that there was going to be a problem with security, cost, usability, or all three. I just wanted to look into it a bit though on the chance there was an agreeable decent way to do it, plus I'd like to be more informed on the off chance that management starts asking questions which I don't really expect them to.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Che Delilas posted:

"Good news! You're getting more responsibilities. This is a great opportunity for you to really show us what you can do! Youdon'tgetanymoremoneythough"

This is exactly the first thing I thought when I read that post.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Misogynist posted:

Hedge fund environments are all really weird and full of really weird people. I interviewed with a pretty big boutique trading company a few years back and their culture was like, "yeah, none of the traders leave for lunch, so IT leaving for lunch is kind of frowned upon."

You don't have to leave for lunch when you can just call up your white glove service lackey to bring it to you. :haw:

J
Jun 10, 2001

LouisRiel posted:

This is a generically broad question and has probably been asked before, so apologies in advance:

I'm starting my first IT job in a few days doing basic helpdesk work for the local government. So, what I'm wondering is: what makes an ideal entry-level helpdesk employee? What traits/skills should I focus on developing while working there? What makes someone a bad helpdesk worker?

I guess I was just wondering if people had any general advice or stories about their first experiences in IT and what they did to excel/get where they are now.

Just understand that it is a customer service job more than anything. You can be taught the tech side of things, you can't be taught to not be an rear end in a top hat or a creep. You'll have to interact with and help out people who will often be stressed out or pissed off for reasons both legitimate and really stupid. Smile, and let them know that you understand their issue is important (even if it truly is not important) and you will do whatever you can to help. If they express interest in what is wrong and what you are doing, do your best to explain it to them in a manner that they can understand without making them feel stupid. I find car analogies are really effective. However, not everyone will give a poo poo about explanations and will just want the problem fixed, so don't necessarily automatically explain stuff every time. You'll get a feel for who's interested and who isn't.

J
Jun 10, 2001

On imposter syndrome - read this. Then sleep on it, and read it again later. Then read it some more if you still feel like a fraud down the line.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Methanar posted:

Well I got treated like an equal today and it was pretty nice. Until they told me I'd be cleaning the yard (raking loving dirt) for the next 4 days. I had already set up my own desk and build my own computer, put it on the domain and then I was pulled away to be told lolyourrakingdirt. I was given a tour, told about the AD structure, projects, shown the server room; then dirt.

If I wasn't so spineless I'd have immediately said "No. There has been a misunderstanding here. I am here for a reason and that reason is not cleaning your yard."

Hahaha, what? :psypop:

J
Jun 10, 2001

Tab8715 posted:

Nearly 99.95% of people that have told me they work 60h/80h weeks are flat out lying with one my past supervisors the biggest offenders. He constantly moaned how much work he did to guilt-trip everyone into putting more hours but as network admins we knew his afternoons mostly consisted of him streaming ESPN Golf.

Yeah, I always wonder if those people are actually working all those hours or if they're just trying to win the "who is the most busy" pissing contest.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Vulture Culture posted:

This guy doesn't sound like someone who can even hold it together while giving a bad reference, so it might be worth it to let your new job prospects know in advance what he's going to say and let him foam and make himself look like the batshit crazy you've already painted him to be.

I'd let him do this a few times, then bring up a lawsuit with my state's labor bureau to drive the nail deeper, but I can be a spiteful gently caress with irredeemable people.

Yeah I can't possibly see how this guy would be able to give a bad reference in a professional manner that would be taken seriously by any prospective employer, assuming the guy somehow got contacted in the first place.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Alder posted:

I have a interview scheduled tomorrow for help desk job :choco:

I feel pretty nervous as it's only my 2nd interview ever other than a brief stint w/retail work. Anything I should expect? I'm the in process of studying for A+ cert but stuff happened.

Will there be a technical quiz there? Thanks.

Help desk is a customer service job, your people skills are way, way more important than any technical skills. Drum up your ability to interact with people comfortably and a willingness to learn new things. Help desk is almost certainly going to be less technical than you think. Most of the common issues aren't even "technical" in the slightest. They might ask you what you would do if somebody can't access the internet, or can't print, to gauge your thought process and such. If they do ask something technical that you don't know, for the love of god don't give a bullshit answer, just say you don't know but would reference google, the manual, documentation, etc to find out more.

J fucked around with this message at 18:05 on May 26, 2015

J
Jun 10, 2001

Inspector_666 posted:

I loving hate this poo poo. "I need to pay my bills" is the answer to why I want any job. I may come to enjoy it, but nobody is ever going to be really passionate about a loving helpdesk position, and if they are it should be a red flag as far as I'm concerned.

Job interviews loving suck.

J
Jun 10, 2001

I once worked with a guy who was either a 0/10 or a 10/10 on everything. I never thought to put this concept on a sliding scale like that, but I once asked him if he'd ever thought about picking his battles a bit more, since I thought he would have more success arguing the more important issues with management if he did. He responded with "Either it's worth fighting for or it isn't, and if it is worth fighting for then I'm going to give it my all." He was really high strung all of the time to say the least.

J
Jun 10, 2001

adorai posted:

poo poo like that pisses me off that a government banking examiner has the balls to write me up for not having a documented windows update policy (despite being able to show the results of the properly configured wsus server, approvals, and update status) but then their employer can basically post everyone's poo poo in plain text on the internet.

What exactly are they expecting here? Here is my WSUS server, I approve updates on test groups, then approve them on production groups after X amount of test time. How much more policy has to be written?

J
Jun 10, 2001

Methanar posted:

Summer job while I wait to go back to school.

I make really really bad decisions.

Well on the bright side it brought the phrase "Garbageman with domain admin" into my vocabulary, so there's that at least! :buddy:

J
Jun 10, 2001

Every so often the higher ups decide we need to start having weekly meetings. So we do. Then after a few weeks, it becomes apparent that there is not a whole lot being discussed in these meetings, so we all say "Uh what is the point of this?" Then the meetings stop. A few months pass, and the cycle begins anew!

J
Jun 10, 2001

How do you folks on O365 deal with management and C levels freaking out when it goes down? We are in the process of trying to make a case to get switched over to O365, but for the life of me I can't figure out a response to "What do you mean you have to wait for microsoft to fix it? Why can't YOU fix it? You fixed it before on the old system! Get on the phone and call somebody and get it fixed!"

J
Jun 10, 2001

Look at all these people working at companies where HR actually records information somewhere accessible when a new employee is hired.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Eonwe posted:

What I've learned from working in IT for a few months: its fun but nobody will follow directions and the IT execs actively like ruining performance in departments

Right now we are getting a new ticketing system that is worse and if our time logged isn't 7 to 8 hours a day we hear about it never mind the fact that there are calls walkups just looking over tickets etc that don't necessarily have a ticket to file time to

Ideally you'd get all the calls and walkups to file tickets themselves, but that requires backing from management. If you can't say "No ticket no fixit" then create tickets for all the calls and walkups yourself so that time gets logged. Now if management complains about that then :shrug:

J
Jun 10, 2001

Dick Trauma posted:

Today I sent out the email to let everyone know Windows AD passwords will now have to be complex, will expire and not be reusable. :getin:

Of course I checked with my boss first to get approval. She told me she'd been using the same password for seven years.

Are you going to walk around periodically and throw away all the post it notes with passwords on them too? :getin:

J
Jun 10, 2001

NZAmoeba posted:

Surprised not to see this look inside the working conditions of Amazon being discussed: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/16/technology/inside-amazon-wrestling-big-ideas-in-a-bruising-workplace.html?_r=0

I knew their warehouse environments were hosed up, didn't know the office environment was this bad too.

quote:

The internal phone directory instructs colleagues on how to send secret feedback to one another’s bosses. Employees say it is frequently used to sabotage others. (The tool offers sample texts, including this: “I felt concerned about his inflexibility and openly complaining about minor tasks.”)

“You walk out of a conference room and you’ll see a grown man covering his face,” he said. “Nearly every person I worked with, I saw cry at their desk.”

At Amazon, workers are encouraged to tear apart one another’s ideas in meetings, toil long and late (emails arrive past midnight, followed by text messages asking why they were not answered),

But workers are expected to embrace “frugality” (No. 9), from the bare-bones desks to the cellphones and travel expenses that they often pay themselves. (No daily free food buffets or regular snack supplies, either.) The focus is on relentless striving to please customers, or “customer obsession” (No. 1), with words like “mission” used to describe lightning-quick delivery of Cocoa Krispies or selfie sticks.

Even many Amazonians who have worked on Wall Street and at start-ups say the workloads at the new South Lake Union campus can be extreme: marathon conference calls on Easter Sunday and Thanksgiving, criticism from bosses for spotty Internet access on vacation, and hours spent working at home most nights or weekends.

One ex-employee’s fiancé became so concerned about her nonstop working night after night that he would drive to the Amazon campus at 10 p.m. and dial her cellphone until she agreed to come home. When they took a vacation to Florida, she spent every day at Starbucks using the wireless connection to get work done.“That’s when the ulcer started,” she said.

Amazon employees are held accountable for a staggering array of metrics, a process that unfolds in what can be anxiety-provoking sessions called business reviews, held weekly or monthly among various teams. A day or two before the meetings, employees receive printouts, sometimes up to 50 or 60 pages long, several workers said. At the reviews, employees are cold-called and pop-quizzed on any one of those thousands of numbers. Explanations like “we’re not totally sure” or “I’ll get back to you” are not acceptable, many employees said. Some managers sometimes dismissed such responses as “stupid” or told workers to “just stop it.”

Noelle Barnes, who worked in marketing for Amazon for nine years, repeated a saying around campus: “Amazon is where overachievers go to feel bad about themselves.”

J fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Aug 16, 2015

J
Jun 10, 2001

Bears are having difficulty accessing lovely webapp, give them domain admin immediately

J
Jun 10, 2001

gently caress the world

J
Jun 10, 2001

Somebody found an imgur exploit recently, that imgur claims is now fixed. The interesting part to me though is that someone found a way to get malicious code running on one of the biggest image sharing sites out there, and used it to.....attack 4chan? :what:

J
Jun 10, 2001

Vulture Culture posted:

Maybe it was Baja California and the person telling me the story got their details mixed up? Narco-submarines are pretty popular:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narco-submarine

That was actually a really interesting read.

J
Jun 10, 2001

crunk dork posted:

Anyone else notice that email preview text in Outlook 2013 is suddenly blue with some users? Seen it twice so far today with two completely unrelated businesses.

I had this happen to someone yesterday. I didn't really think much of it, figured it was just a run of the mill case of messing around with view settings.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Methanar posted:

I'll take good care of the cloud guys

Was this picture taken inside of an actual cloud? :ohdear:

J
Jun 10, 2001

PBS posted:

Free 6mo pluralsights sub up on slickdeals.

Nice find, thanks!

J
Jun 10, 2001

devmd01 posted:

restore the DHCP database if needed

Can you elaborate on the "if needed" part? Currently we have a 2003 DC (holds the FSMO roles, also running DHCP), and a 2008 DC, and are looking to replace them with 2 2012R2 DCs. I've done a lot of reading on it and the only part of the process I'm still unsure about is getting DHCP migrated properly.

J
Jun 10, 2001

My employer recently purchased a small company that I will call company B. B handled email and file sharing with G suite, whereas we're a mostly microsoft environment (AD, exchange, etc.) At this point we've mostly got B integrated into our domain. However, there is a lot of gnashing of teeth from B about how they just haaaate outlook and gmail is just so much better and they just can't do anything without gmail. This is my first experience with G Suite so I'm a rookie here but so far from what I've seen, while we can get their exchange mail delivered to the g suite account, the idea was to ditch the g suite account altogether. Management doesn't want to keep paying for it, and ultimately I think they are going to tell company B to get over it. However they are still asking if B can somehow "keep gmail." I'm not overlooking something here am I? To me it seems like the options are either keep paying for g suite, or we drop g suite and B gets to live with outlook. We have on prem exchange if that matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J
Jun 10, 2001

CLAM DOWN posted:

Hey all, I would like to survey the thread about something, would really appreciate your help. I'm trying to gather info outside of my own job history and experience, and I would like to use the results I expect from this as ammo at my current job.

1) Does your org allow working from home and/or remote work?
2) If yes to (1), how often/how much is allowed?
3) If yes to (1), are there any documented requirements for it to be allowed?
4) If no to (1), are there any reasons given why not?
5) Would you consider working for an org that does not permit working from home/remote work?
6) What country are you in?
7) Public or private sector?
8) Union or non-union?

Thank you extremely much.

1. Informally yes
2. IT can generally get 1 day / week without too much fuss. More is allowed with good justification (kids are sick, car in the shop, etc.) People who have been around long enough with good enough justification (developers mainly) have been able to get full remote arrangements. None of this is formalized anywhere though, just gotta convince your boss.
3. ....documentation? :smith:
4. NA
5. Yes but only if the pay and commute were both really good. I'm not sure I'd put up with a lovely commute for any amount of money.
6. US
7. Private
8. Non union