Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

Jeoh posted:

SharePoint Online with mapped drives :smug:

I literally told my former boss that it was Satan incarnate to even suggest such a thing, I think it was added to my pile of quotes that lead to my contract not being renewed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

Sprechensiesexy posted:

I like socializing with colleagues over a pint, I do not like HR imposed team building activities. Am I worse than Hitler?

What about employee association activities that involve mostly retired people showing up?

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

Arsten posted:

An optional company picnic is fine. It's when you get forced into the bullshit games that most people raise their hands and start complaining about it.

..and if people think this is just IT being anti-social, I've seen librarians, accountants, administration also raise a stink about stuff like this.
I mean, my employee association isn't perfect with them mostly catering to the retirees, but at least it's organized by the employees and paid for by the company.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

I'll settle for stories about directors spending their lunchbreaks in the red-light district, stories about the cleaning lady messing up the particle accelerator and stories about people falling into the piano drunk at previous dinners.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

Most of my grumblings are with the total chaos that I got dropped into. The chaos is due to the people working here being used to fixing things in the general sense and being really smart and not knowing when they' re outside their field of expertise.
Luckily there's a general sense that we need to fix this and they hired me to help them fixing it.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

Collateral Damage posted:

It's always funny when you spec out servers and people want to cut corners on $10,000 worth of hardware that you're going to put $120,000 worth of software on.

huh, here it usually is the other way around. Hardware gets overspecced, software is nickel-and-dimed.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I think I might have to just leave early today. I DO NOT want to be around when poo poo hits the fan.

By the end of this scenario, this might literally happen.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

Internet Explorer posted:

gently caress dealing with cabling as "IT" in 2017.

Thom and the Heads posted:

add "printers" to this as well ty

VOIP and Mobile Phones too.

...these things are known as the "small organisation curse"

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

LochNessMonster posted:

What do you guys think about mechanical keyboards at work, too noisy?

Let me put it this way: I am not gonna give these out in an environment of high-strung PHD/Postdoc that could snap at any moment and murder people with them.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

Sefal posted:

Techincal operations engineer: Manage the AD DNS DHCP (standard windows stuff), manage the Datacenter. Monitor the gameservers. upgrade the servers.
what i'm actually doing is automating a lot of stuff with powershell at the moment.

Experience, 1 and a half year

I make about the same in Amsterdam with a lot less responsibilities and in a non-profit organisation.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

Tab8715 posted:

I'll admit my experience with wireless is limited to buildings my company owns but look at most the new devices coming out.

There isn't even built-in Ethernet adapter.

usb-c to ethernet adapters are the most sought after adapters at my workplace.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

Internet Explorer posted:

I can't believe it's 20-loving-17 and conversations like that are still taking place. It's amazing. Like GPOs and not having your users be local admins is some type of brave new concept. Amazing.

"dhcp is too new and untested in real life for us to implement"

DONT TOUCH THE PC fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Feb 24, 2017

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

The more niche your software is, the more likely it is that you'll be giving your users full admin rights because that's how the programmer has always done it.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

My company has several "Leads" who have no one to lead.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

Kashuno posted:

How long do you folks usually stay at your job?

At the moment it seems like my tenure gets shorter as time goes on, i stayed 10 years at my oldest job, moved over and stayed for 1,5 years, last job was one year, currently on a six month contract.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

Virigoth posted:

Yes. Also strip clubs.

Apparently one of the former heads of the University Library I used to work at was a frequent visitor of the red light district that was just around the corner.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I have no idea how I'd take off 5 weeks in a year, it absolutely boggles me.

Up until now i had 10 weeks of PTO, i'll miss those 5 weeks (but the raise makes up for it).

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

Sefal posted:

Is your old job still available?

Don't think so. btw: you're the second person asking me this in the past month.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

Punkbob posted:

My frustrations with RHEL are not with the latest version of RHEL, but my constant headaches with it being an orphan in most window centric IT environments. At my last job it was a constant source of headaches for outdated libraries making installs a pain, because these places had standardized on 6 and were in no rush to support 7 because it had such a small install base internally. I am sure if I was dealing with competent RHEL based shops I’d feel differently but I haven’t met one yet.

Because the dirty secret is that competent RHEL shops are gonna run CentOS for free because why not? I mean at this point I feel most of the redhat support cases I wanted to lookup are because they use some arcane old bullshit or charge extra for some pretty basic functionality that I can get anywhere else.

I have a similar experience, the twist is that the place I used to work at was pretty Linux centric, but ran Scientific Linux CERN on most of their machines. Now there's a shitstorm of outdatedness, strictness when it comes to open source and general frustration with the lack of support.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

Super Slash posted:

I honestly don't "get" Glassdoor. I'm probably just being a grouch but who seriously sits down and writes "Boy howdy this business sure is nice to work at!" beyond being asked to by said business (ours tried that by saying it's all anonymous... uh-huh), review sites like this mostly attract massive negative feedback from people who have quit after being burned as some kind of revenge.

review sites in general either attract super positive or super negative reviews and in the end everything evens out at a 7 out of 10.

Vargatron posted:

The opposite for this is seeing job posts requiring a Bachelor's requirement for a helpdesk position.

I sorta get this, but it's for certain environments where your job is a. more senior and b. your colleagues are expecting some level of intelligence beyond "fix computer".

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

Sickening posted:

If only that had anything to do with an undergrad degree.

Yeah, I usually classify it as a shortcut that doesn't always work. But it worked in my favor several times, so I'm not complaining too much about it.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

Vulture Culture posted:

This sounds awful.

Depends really, as with leaving for another job people tend to stay for different reasons.

At my last place of employment people were there for 40 years and some of those did sound like they loved the routine and the predictability of it all.
Other people recognized that there's only 2 organisations in the country that would enable them to work on the problems and solutions they loved to work on and as the other one isn't hiring they see no reason to leave.

Hell, at my current job I'm one of the most experienced people when it comes to working in different organisations and it's weird to have both "the new guy" and "experienced veteran" aura because of this.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

Vulture Culture posted:

It's only viable if you never need to compete or adapt (see: municipal government).

Yeah... about that, I switched from (semi)public-service to corporate and people keep saying this. But I switched to this company, because they offered me a more stable environment than public service and their cutbacks/reorganizations.
It was like tapdancing on quicksand.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

Vulture Culture posted:

Stability of the company aside, where do the people in your company stand with respect to pursuit of advancement opportunities?

Most of them are happy where they are and I've spoken to several people that have been working at this company their entire career (20+ years).

...to add to that, in my experience people at the municipal government tend to be governed by members of the council that tend to be like Vince McMahon-like in their attention span and demeanor.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

I guess I'm just surprised at the sheer volume of people that seem to do it, and not one of them ever recalls doing it themselves. Had me wondering if some program out there does it during its installation or something, which would be bizarre.

What happened at the university where I used to run into this problem a lot: it was either done by some weird copy of a legit program downloaded through an unofficial site, so the installer was tampered with (people clicking the spam link, basically). people ended up with DNS addresses like 219.298.48.1 (and strangely enough, fallbacks: 8.8.8.8 + 8.8.4.4) or during an ISP DNS issue they followed some online instructions to "solve" it and forgot about it.

Supporting "Digital Natives" was fun.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

The best possible outcome of all this is that we actually manage to pull off the move and thereby justify that we do not need to fill his position, so we're permanently down a guy.

Don't pull off the move and start looking for a new job.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

Aunt Beth posted:

The cutesy conference room naming has gotten utterly out of hand

We've got the red room, the shack, the hairdresser, the barn, rated-r and boardroom (which has a carpet with an eldritch horror pattern to make up for the boring name apparently).

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

Cythereal posted:

Da gently caress? That is absolutely not normal in the field I've been working in for the last five years. I've been very cautious about this whole thing because it's proceeding so wildly different from any job process I've been through before. Paying for travel and accomodations for a job interview in the library field is virtually unheard of for anything lower than "You will be the person in charge of running this entire place." Hopefully this guy understands and I intend to be enthusiastic in person as this opportunity sounds better and better all the time.

..and now you know why I switched careers, I am making twice as much for a quarter of the work (and I ran the loving library at certain times).

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

Ehud posted:

Have any of you guys ever used ManageEngine's products?

It looks like ManageEngine does basically all of this stuff. I am trying to figure out if I should go with them or if there are any alternatives I should look into, or if it's a pipe dream to find one package that does all of these things well.

Last place I worked at used it, it seemed decent but I had the feeling I never really had the time to really dig into it and run into its limitations.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

The Fool posted:

I don't find those events to be as infuriating as you guys, and some of my coworkers seem to.

I feel it totally depends on how they're organised and who's allowed to join.

My last job was in particle physics and they shut out the more fun people I hung out with on the regular (Research-students, PHDs and Post-Docs), by having the events only be accessible to people who were a member of the staff association (only open to full-time employees, most of which were in finance and office). Except for the Christmas party and that was an actually fun event with some interesting conversations.

At the university before that each team got their own budget for organizing fun stuff and I went to some great small time events with some great people.
Current job has a high amount of expats that go out to events all the time and organize them across the company and I've been joining them too.

But then again, I am a "social" IT guy that kinda shimmied into this job sideways, unlike a colleague who is every stereotype ever.

edit:
I can totally see Dick not wanting to go, I myself would probably cut the brakes on the bus that would take them to the event to keep the peace a bit longer.

DONT TOUCH THE PC fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Nov 8, 2017

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

I have to say that both former jobs had a high amount of people that never left, which made the events as an networking exercise a bit pointless:
"yes! you're brilliant, but also 95 and not involved in any research, the organisation or anything else related to my work"

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

this weekend is the one weekend we get to untangle the entire network, I am at home drunk..dreading tomorrow.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

CLAM DOWN posted:

I just found a dinosaur stencil in Visio

don't doxx me.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

Sepist posted:

Today is our ugly christmas sweater day at work and I'm walking around with this

https://www.amazon.com/Ugly-Christmas-Sweater-Hooded-Reindeer/dp/B01LXRPN56

It's a huge hit, even the tax attorneys that are normally really cold to our division are laughing about it. 5 stars

tonight is our Christmas party, but I peaked too early on Wednesday when I wore this:
https://www.killstar.com/collections/clothing-womens-sweaters-knits/products/purr-hexmas-knit-sweater-b

Then again, everyone is now walking around the office wearing this because it was cheap:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/PlayStatio...YDC3580PNT69DNH

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

Jeoh posted:

sorry but if anyone irl finds out i played cybernations i would kill myself

busted!

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

Thanks Ants posted:

Looks like there's a massive Colt outage going on :toot:

They're complete poo poo when they work so this is fun.

ah so that's what happened, I had 50 people complaining to me when I entered the office.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

Yeah, they implemented something like that in college with project groups for some reason, I rated everyone the same because save for absolute fuckery/total absence there was no need to hang people out to dry.
Of course my scores were put in earnestly by my fellows and they were so all over the place that they said more about the things the person deemed important than about my performance.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

wolrah posted:

The correct answer for sure. I can never understand the people who have their computer, TV, router, game consoles, etc. all in their living room all along the same wall but only use WiFi. They inevitably complain about performance, but refuse to plug in a few ethernet cords.

One of my colleagues lives in a studio and his entire audio/video-setup is getting dangerously close to audiophile territory with a ton of cables, so OF COURSE he's using wi-fi only for his console and computer.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

Vargatron posted:

I react to the term "millenial" like somebody just called me a racial slur. I'll be 29 in a month.

As stated before, due to overuse of both terms as a way of saying "people I don't like", everyone over 40 is now a boomer and everyone under 40 is a millennial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

Truga posted:

l4d got boomers right

I wish we had more L4D boomers in office.