Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
Assuming it isn't a joke, that person is perhaps the worst case of Dunning-Kruger I've ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Sepist posted:

I am normally pretty good with accepting accents but my coworker keeps pronouncing hard disk wrong on a 60 person conference call. Its not so much the mispronunciation but the context of it.

"We have tried pulling the hard dicks in and out"
"We've removed the hard dicks"
"We're dealing with unstable hard dicks"

I was on a call with a person from Ireland talking a building that included facilities operations centers (FOC) and security operations centers (SOC) and I had a good five minutes of utter confusion trying to figure out why he kept talking about "fucks and sucks."

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Happiness Commando posted:

I'm loving off for another 9 months in a year or two to hike the PCT. Fingers crossed on what job and salary I come back to :yotj:

I can't make this math work. How do you make the PCT last 9 months without ending up becoming and ice person in either northern Washington or northern California?

[Redacted some vaguely personal info]

BeastOfExmoor fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jul 28, 2019

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Charges IBM, just in case you're using an 11 year old Thinkpad.

I know its the same voltage and connector that Lenovo Thinkpads used until a few years ago.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

ChubbyThePhat posted:

We are currently testing Mimecast for exactly this purpose as well.

Content-Type: video/h264

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

cage-free egghead posted:

It's scary to me that these people have gone to so many years of school yet can't see the forest for the trees on poo poo like that.

They don't see the forest through the trees because they've been the smartest people they know for their entire lives and can't or won't comprehend that their knowledge is limited to a subset of human knowledge.

The Bad With Money thread has talked about this numerous times. Physicians are easy marks for scammers because of this. In my experience other high end, highly educated professions also have this issue but it definitely seems to be the worst with physicians.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

AlternateAccount posted:

Ohhhhh dear. I assure you, friend, this is not the path to victory. Crestron is the 42nd Circle of Hell.

It may be Stockholm Syndrome talking here, but Crestron stuff is not actually that bad (for the A/V world, at least). Get Crestron Toolbox, learn how to connect over ethernet and run a couple commands from the CLI and you can diagnose most of your problems fairly quickly.

The problem is that their is almost certainly a touch panel that was designed and "programmed" by a Crestron programmer. Best case scenario is they programmed the UI to the specifications of someone on the A/V staff and it will kinda-sorta make sense to the A/V department. Worse case scenario is that the programmer was left to their own devices and created the ugliest and least intuitive UI possible.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Does anyone have any exposure to Google's video conferencing rooms? Someone told a friend of mine that they have 30,000 video conferencing rooms at Google, which would mean that if everyone in the company (~100,000 employees per internet counts) were to be in a meeting room simultaneously each room would average 3.3 people which seems pretty low. I'm thinking they must have a large amount of rooms that are meant to work remotely with people one-on-one or somehow be counting employees who work remotely, but I'd be curious if anyone could provide insight.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

codo27 posted:

So I have an interview next week for a job that could double my income. The position is "audio/video technician", and details I've gotten on the actual role have been scarce (a recruitment agency I've worked for before is handling the hiring for a larger client).

I'm an enthusiast and a musician, hosed with that sort of thing most of my life, but it was never the main focus of my job. I used to basically responsible for IT/electronics at a museum and I helped with the theater there and a lot of the exhibits had multimedia aspects to them as well.

I'm not really nervous about the prospect but at the same time wondering exactly what the job might entail. Any kind of suggestions or tips you can throw my way would be great, this could be a life changer for me as the pittance I receive in my current location is insulting for the work we do.

Oh hey, this thread has turned to my area of expertise. You've received good advice already. I know you don't want to give out info on the company involved, but I would do as much research as possible to see what information you can gather on what current A/V technicians do and what their systems look like. A/V technician can mean a lot of things, from running sound and video for big meetings to maintaining, monitoring, and fixing meeting rooms.

I'd play up any technical chops you have, especially on the IT end of things. The industry is rapidly moving into areas where IT knowledge is required and many of the people that came from an live/studio sound or broadcast background are struggling to keep up. Any knowledge of networking, remote monitoring and troubleshooting, scripting, etc. is likely going to be seen as valuable. Along those lines, embrace any chance you get to learn things that may overlap with IT. The career trajectory for A/V tech kind of peters out after A/V tech manager, so being able to eventually transition into more of a hybrid role or IT role could really help you in the future.

DawntoDust posted:

Also You'll get to check out AV config software that looks like the "new" stuff belongs on Windows XP (clearOne), lookin' mostly like Windows 95 UI though (Crestron).

Accurate. A fair amount of stuff is now converting to tools that run as a webserver on your machine which reach out to the device. Doesn't seem like an improvement to me. The last one I installed used loving flash for the UI. For a product released within the last couple years from a very major brand.

codo27 posted:

See I dont wanna be cocky but I just cant see "AV tech" being that in dept of a role, so I dont think I'm gonna have any issues.

For day-to-day client support you're probably right. However, the lack of anything resembling standardization in a lot of areas means it can become a confusing minefield very quickly. Enjoy how learning how to troubleshoot devices that do the same thing in completely different ways, using increasingly annoying software and different terminology.

BeastOfExmoor fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Oct 18, 2019

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Exit Strategy posted:

It's the new job. Two weeks in. Received no negative feedback from direct managers or coworkers.

It's fine. Interview with a new place Monday, have a cushion financially.

Seems like some weird power play by the 51% owner. Did the other two owners even know that was happening?

I would definitely post that story on Glassdoor for that company. It doesn't seem like it shook you up much, but can you imagine if someone decided to leave a stable job and had this happen to them without a financial cushion?

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I assume this has probably been posted here a dozen times, but the backstory to this music is surprisingly interesting.
https://www.thisamericanlife.org/516/stuck-in-the-middle

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

After 8 weeks on the job, my biggest accomplishment is that I recognized that if I just kept badgering the person who is handling my Cisco ticket, he would eventually probably come back to me with more than, "Yes, I looked at the logs and the packet dump and it's not working." Apparently they've been having this issue for multiple years so I'll take the victory.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I wonder if just uploading it to S3 or spinning up your own low-cost web host account for a month would've worked?

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Sickening posted:

I will never understand why you guys want to sound like you are typing on a typewriter all day.

Brown switches are fairly quiet and usable. The difference between a mediocre mechanical keyboard and the office issued keyboard is truly incredible. I really rolled my eyes at the mechanical keyboard nerds until I switched and now I could never go back.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I can understand the downsides of telling people you're in IT, but as someone who spent over a decade in a somewhat obscure IT adjacent (but definitely not IT) field one of the best parts of my recent job change was being able to tell people I work in IT rather then spending 5 minutes trying to sort of explain what I do.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Oct 22nd:

Sickening posted:

The CIO has mandated that everyone under him must take an IQ/Aptitude test. He sent it out today and its due tomorrow. No, he didn't think that some folks are going to be out because of vacation and other reasons. No, he won't give allowances for them to take it when they get back. He says "its an automatic fail".

I don't know how you fail an IQ/Aptitude test exactly. I don't suspect he would pass though.

Dec 11th:

Sickening posted:

It was basically an IQ test.

:thunk:

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I don't actually hate what I do. I can't honestly think of many jobs that I'd prefer to be doing.

I've long since come to terms with the fact that doing something I'd truly love would make less money than it's worth to gently caress around with trying to make money at it. "Do what you love and you'll never work a day in your life" can very easily become, "Make what you love your work and you'll never be able to enjoy it again."

My goal is to be semi-retired in my late 50's and able to work remotely from wherever I want to live at part time hours.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

CloFan posted:

Do I want to be a Database admin / Project manger for a non profit? I haven't been able to suss out any red flags other than I'd be the only IT person. Small org (18 fte), outsourced Tier1 via local MSP, just finished a migration to a new software (Wizehive Zengine if anyone is familiar). There's a little bit of kludge from mergers over the last few years, mainly file storage methods. I'd be wearing a lot of hats, but significantly less than I'm doing now.

There's a real good chance the Uni I work for now will fail in the near future. It will be picked up by another system in the state, but there's a lot of uncertainty between now and July.

It's probably largely dependent on the type of non-profit and how secure their funding is, but I'd guess being the newest employee who also works remote and doesn't have really close relationships with other employees would likely make you the first to go if they have any funding issues down the line.

My wife has worked for non-profits for her whole career basically and she pretty much has stories on a weekly basis that leave me completely flabbergasted.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

mattfl posted:

I'm hearing upwards of 500+ million. We just signed our latest Cerner contract too recently, which run in 3 year cycles, so we basically have 3 years to get our entire corporation off of Cerner and onto Epic by then. I'm told our region will be the first to make the transition in the next 18 months, in our region alone we have 15+ hospitals so it sounds like we're going to be the test region for the rest of our sites.

Edit: Some more info I'm finding out. The cost for Cerner to merge our 3 production domains across our enterprise was almost equal to the cost of the transition to Epic. Apparently our Dr's wanted Epic more, so that's that then.

I know literally nothing about healthcare IT, but I'm willing to bet a bunch of money that at the end of this the doctors who were all in favor of this won't be able to recall being for it and will be looking back fondly at the old system.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

jaegerx posted:

Working from home is looking pretty good right now isn’t it? Amazon Seattle has their first case. That’s what a 30k person campus?

Roughly double that, more if you add vendors and other non FTEs.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Defenestrategy posted:

Was wondering if anyone else has run into this. During $current_company on boarding we give options of either a macbook or windows laptop and we've run into users (programmers/developers) who chose a macbook, but seem to have never used them before, and we end up spending the first week troubleshooting stuff that I would assume would be second nature to anyone who has spent any time with mac os. Stuff on par with "why does [insert windows only program]'s installer not work?" or "how do I connect to wifi on this?"

Like I can see where HR or Finance or what ever would have issue, but if a programmer takes a macbook, they're not gonna just take one for shits n giggles right?

I suspect that the fact that Macs are perceived as a premium product makes people choose them. When I was given the choice the first day of my job the IT person actually pushed back on me and said, "Really?" when I chose Windows.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

The Microsoft clown car naming department has gotten bored already

Not sure why they're wasting time with this when it's obvious they're going to have to eventually rename it it include either "Surface" or "X" in the title somewhere down the line, per company policy.

Also, why aren't "for business" and "for enterprise" capitalized when everything else is?

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Agrikk posted:

Thins are slow so I did a thing. Inspired by another's effort, I decided to create my own latency heat map for AWS regions:

http://latency.bluegoat.net/

What I didn't realize is how the latency between regions remains eerily rock steady over time. I would have expected at least a little variance during peak or off-peak times.

Thanks for sharing. I'm working on a project right now where inter-region latency is a fairly important variable, so I found this very useful.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Serious Hardware / Software Crap › Working in IT 3.0: Pleurisy is free for May

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

oh my god I have been stuck in a skype meeting for 4 hours trying to get my boss and his boss and his boss and some helpdesk peon, and two other participants, to configure all the AV equipment in this meeting room for a test meeting for tonight. It involves a broadcast feed, multiple room mic's, multiple tablets on skype, one of the skype tablets presenting a slideshow and the other one feeding audio into the broadcast.

gently caress my life.

I've read your post like 5 times and I still have no loving clue what they're trying to use this room for. Did someone just draw up a meeting room on a cocktail napkin?

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I wish. I don't even think there was any forethought or a napkin involved.

It's normally a big room set up for broadcast TV (think the local government meetings you see on public access TV) but nobody is going to be there because of Covid19 and they're all gonna Skype instead.
But we still have to broadcast it, so they're gonna have one person there with a presentation on one laptop and the other laptop will have the Skype meeting up so the broadcaster can switch between feeds.

The only problem is that apparently nobody understands how AV works, including the guy running all the broadcast equipment and everyone is calling me with "gnarlycharlie4u HAAAAAALP!" but nobody wants to shut up and listen to me long enough for me to fix anything. "AND I SWEAR TO GOD IF YOU UNMUTE THAT ROOM MIC AGAIN AND FEEDBACK I'M GONNA loving QUIT."

Talk about herding loving cats Jesus Christ.

Also, this is totally Not My Job™ (or even under my department's purview) so I don't even know why the gently caress my boss is dragging me into this poo poo.

Oh meanwhile, I'm calling all the participants individually to teach them how to use skype so that was also fun.

Yikes.

As someone who has attempted to do walk someone through similar, but much better documented, tasks with much more qualified people many times, you have all of my sympathy.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

BallerBallerDillz posted:

Well I had a feeling it was coming but our company just got acquired by a massive software conglomerate that acquired our competitor last year. Time for me to :yotj: - I know that SAMart run resume service got sold and I have heard it's not as good. Anyone have a recommendation for a similar service or should I just trust my resume skills all by myself?

There's a good thread in BFC that will help you out:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3553582

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Methanar posted:

Cool opinion I heard today:

Hiring right now is a bad idea because the pool of candidates is currently tainted by the influx of people who got laid off. Those who were laid off were the ones that other organizations decided were the least productive and could do without

This, but like literally the exact opposite. If you have a stable org that is decent at identifying good candidates and can afford to hire for the long term then you should hoover up all the good talent right now. Even if the "least productive" thing was remotely accurate, which it's likely mostly not give the extreme situation we're in, nobody is forcing you to hire recently laid off people. There are now plenty of people who were happy to stay at their stable job or who were looking for a big raise who'd be happy to jump ship for a more stable position or improved working environment.

If someone told me this I would file them away in my brain in the same category as if someone told that we couldn't be certain the earth was round.

BeastOfExmoor fucked around with this message at 21:21 on May 20, 2020

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Matt Zerella posted:

I just want teams to rip off slack. Just loving do it who cares.

They both use Electron, so Microsoft should be able to optimize.

In theory frameworks like like Electron are good because they allow companies to save resources by developing for multiple platforms at once, but it seems like a lot of the time the result is just a bad experience for millions of users.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Does anyone have much experience with EAP-TLS certificates, especially for use in wired networks? I'm trying to figure out how to generate and deploy certificates to use to verify wired devices over EAP-TLS, but all the cert stuff find is geared towards website certificates, which typically use Common Name (CN) verification. This doesn't seem like it would apply with an EAP-TLS certificate, but I'm having issues figuring out if it needs to or should be tied to the specific device in any way.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

I don't really know about using a non-Windows CA for this though, I've never had to and I've never put much thought into it. I know ISE has a built in CA and can issue certificates but I've never needed to configure certificate enrollment on it, but its probably well documented by someone other than Cisco. I expect Aruba's ClearPass can do the same but I've not had a chance to use that unfortunately.

Yea, sorry I meant to mention that none of these devices are Windows. That's the other part that's messing me up when I try to find information.

I appreciate the write-up though, which does give me some insight into using this in other contexts.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Super Soaker Party! posted:

loving amen brother. I think I initially posted about this a month or three ago, but the open ticket I had with Meraki got "solved" last week. We had issues with multicast using Extron gear on a MS250 stack, where the stack's IGMP querier kept flipping its advertised IP from its interface IP to 0.0.0.0 (something which the multicast RFC says may be used when proxying IGMP from upstream, but there was no loving upstream, this was the core stack).

When I say solved, I don't mean by Meraki, because the TAC moron basically was no use, his upstream helper (which we never got to talk to of course so everything was filtered through the T1 idiot) basically said "that's how our switches work, not fixing it", and the ticket just sat.

I have to give Extron a lot of credit, because they got a couple Meraki switches into their labs and tested them thoroughly, during which time they found:

--When the switch stack was to IGMP querier only on that VLAN, the Extron gear could establish ties between its endpoints but the actual streams were all hosed up because of the querier flipping
--When the switch stack was set to multicast routing, most of the expected operations worked, though because of the next point, when you switch feeds from endpoint to endpoint you get 5-10 seconds of hosed up video before it settles itself
--Meraki doesn't support fast leave, a multicast feature that's been around more than a decade, so when the Extron gear tries to leave the multicast group it can't actually do so until the next cycle of the querier figuring out that endpoint should no longer be in the group, and thus the video stream gets hosed because the endpoint thinks it's left but the switch doesn't
--The MS250 series uses IGMPv3 and the MS390 series uses IGMPv2. Why? <shrug> it just does, you can't reconfigure it, get hosed. (Also the documentation says v3 is always used, so, good job there).

Extron wrote up a nice 40 page report and sent it to us (and their integrator, who I suspect was really why they went to all this effort, but whatever). They say they're talking to Meraki but I highly doubt Meraki will do anything about it.

The thing I find ridiculous is that Meraki has gotten SOME influence from the Cisco switches, at least hardware wise, so why not at least take some of their loving code? Not saying by any means IOS should be held up as a shining example of switch firmware, but at least you can get it to do poo poo properly.

Anyway we've been all in on Meraki, but at this point gently caress them, if UBNT ever stops being consumer garbage that breaks every two seconds I'll switch immediately.

Thanks for this write-up. The A/V world was so far behind on networking for so long that I'm still always happily surprised to see them actually be able hold their own when things get complex. I'm assuming the Extron gear was the Nav IP video products?

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

MrMoo posted:

Anyone with experience with Mersive Solstice Pods or Kramer VIA devices? I've never seen them at any workplace I have visited or worked at. Kind of weird, and super simple functionality, at an enterprise price.

Basically turn up to a conference room and you can send off video, pictures, screenshare to the displays in the room. There may be multi-monitor support, you may have a weird gimpy laser pen type feature to highlight items. Allegedly there is multi-room support too, but you need to use Zoom or whatever in addition for the comms.

No experience. Generally wireless screen share products include one of the following dealbreakers for me:
  • Some lovely proprietary software that every user has to download and install. Bringing in someone to do a training? Have them install this lovely software. Sales person presenting something? lovely software time.
  • A dongle. No lovely software required, but you have to worry about HDMI/Displayport/USB-C or possibly even USB-A.
  • Miracast or Airplay. Congratulations, one only works on Macs and one doesn't work on Macs at all (unless my info is dated).

Keep in mind, any time I've had to think of implementing any of these solutions I've had to think about scaling them to thousands of rooms where support concerns make any of the above much more complicated. If I was dealing with a much smaller org my impressions might be different.

Honestly, the best experience I've had with wireless screen sharing in meetings is using whatever conferencing software you're using (Teams, Zoom, Webex, etc.) and just joining the meeting from your laptop and sharing the screen. Obviously this requires that your rooms already have the hardware present to join the conference room to your conferencing software directly, but I think that's becoming more and more common.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

My spouse showed me an quote for buying some members of her team new laptops since they're WFH now. Somehow they're paying $1500 a piece for low-end Dell laptops (8gb RAM, 256GB SSD's) that I can spec out on Dell's website for half that price with the same extended warranty options.

I'm struggling to figure out how you even do that. Maybe they purchase through some terrible third party with horrific pricing?

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Internet Explorer posted:

Either that or the warranty options are not the same, they are paying for more years upfront, or they are paying for accident care stuff. I mean, it's possible they are paying more going through a third party or their Dell rep hates them. It's also possible that laptops are still incredibly difficult to get a hold of and if you ordered from Dell's site you'd get it in like 3 months and they need it sooner.

J posted:

Dell has always had lots of criminally overpriced laptops on their site. Like this one, $1330 for 4GB RAM, no SSD, and the basic rear end 1 year warranty.

Ah, I think it's a combination of these two. I'd looked at Dell's website, but I hadn't clicked through on the availability date which Dell was conveniently hiding. The models I'd been looking at won't ship until November so you have to buy a similarly spec'd one that costs $400 more for some reason.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

BaseballPCHiker posted:

People weren't necessarily wrong but I'll still be toiling away with my IPv4 knowledge and basic networking job until I retire in another 20 years (Hopefully). The bar is set very low in many places.

Better start learning IPv6 or you run the risk of having to retire 1-2 years early.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Sometimes I feel a little bit of impostor syndrome, and then I have days like today where I have to escalate a major issue to someone on another team and they can't loving communicate and require constant reminders from multiple people to even get a status update.

I'm not always the most brilliant technical mind in the world, but at least I can typically communicate what the problem is, what needs to happen, timelines, etc. in a relatively concise and understandable manner. I really appreciate the years I spent having to be on weekly project calls and going onsite with a bunch of construction folks who knew almost nothing about my fields of expertise.

Internet Explorer posted:

Nope. New job time. Not like stop immediately what you're doing and ignore the fact that there's a pandemic going on, but like, time to start looking. Too many dumb companies try to gently caress around with their employees like this.

Agrikk posted:

This. Once a company tells you there is no room to grow, the social contract between you and that company expires. This is the contract that states that you will give them your best work and in return they will provide you with opportunities for upward advancement.

Sure they gave you perfect marks, but it’s all a sham if there is no advancement at the end of that review.

As someone who spent years getting strung along on 3% raises and promises of promotion sometime in the future, listen to what these posters are saying.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Sickening posted:

I will also like to report as of this moment, my email still works and so does my teams. Actually, all my accounts still work.

Just a pro-tip: I found that using Hyper-V on my windows 10 computer is excellent at keeping everything separate. My desktop has 64gigs of ram and enough cores to have it all running. I have entire vm setup for this company and all my browser/powershell/cloudshell up and running. Most even have a vpn connection to the networks they need.

That way my desk doesn't have like 3 different laptops spread around it.

Your old boss is going to claim you haxxored the accounts in a fit of revenge after losing your lucrative $76/yr job, so this actually kind of sucks. I assume Azure has good logging, so you could probably prove you didn't touch poo poo, but it seems like you also probably shouldn't log in to anything at this point.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Due to a misunderstanding on my part when I first started reading this thread, I have this subconscious belief that the epicenter of the Managed Server Provider industry is Minneapolis/St. Paul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Zotix posted:

How much do you negotiate when offered a position? I've heard you should always negotiate even if it's just a little bit.

There's a negotiation thread in BFC that's very useful. Just be aware that some of the posters in there can be a little aggressive to folks new to this.

I would really recommend people who may not be familiar with the advice in that thread read some of it in advance of applying. You can impact your ability to negotiate a lot even during the application process.