Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

The word around me is on fire right now.

The outage is even affecting the ability for O365 services to pass to ADFS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Lol, an application in app service I manage is down and I can’t log in to anything to check on it

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

https://twitter.com/MSFT365Status/status/1310946250271973377

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

DumpsterDiver is a thing that exists, but I've never used it.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I have C# on my resume, while I don’t give a poo poo about any of the new language features I sure can vent about the xrm library

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Got an update form the recruiter on my current interview loop. I am currently a finalist, but they have a couple more scheduled interviews to go through before they make a decision.

So I did not impress them enough that they canceled all other interviews.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Agrikk posted:

Find a new job where there are bigger, better opportunities that allow you to either continue on your career arc or redefine it.

It’s basically this.

The unfortunate reality is that most big career opportunities are not going to come from inside your current organization and the only way to do more than basic col/merit raises is to be willing to move on.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

GreenNight posted:

I don’t understand anything of what you just said. Do I even work in IT?

You’re fine, he’s a just a k8s janitor

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Collateral Damage posted:

On the topic of interviewing, remember that not everyone is desperate for a job and taking an unnecessarily hostile approach might self-disqualify your most competent applicants.

An interview is just as much an opportunity for the applicant to interview your company and being a dick is a good way to alienate the people who might bring much needed competence over some bullshit pub quiz level knowledge.

Along those lines, the recruiter I’m currently working with had me fill out the actual job application in the prospective companies system.

I was then immediately sent one of those lovely fake iq and personality tests by the companies HR.

I did it because I’ve already sunk some time in to this and the manager seems he could be a solid boss, but if I was presented with this at the beginning of the process I would have noped the gently caress out.

I emailed the recruiter afterwards and complained and he was mostly “sorry, but :shrug:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Happiness Commando posted:

Have I been poisoned by some capitalist/corporatist ethos bullshit? :(

Yes.

Congratulations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

The AzureAD outage rca is out: https://status.azure.com/en-us/status/history/

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Yeah latent code defect is doing a lot of work there and I really want to know more.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

another guy on my team is working on our intune deployment, my laptop is in the test group

intune keeps downgrading firefox on me

:munch:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Mode M owners: great, now my table is broken

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Dick Trauma posted:

I keep buying laptops to try and catch up with the replacement schedule and they keep hiring people on short notice so I have to use the laptop for the new person instead. I need to start buying them two at a drat time.

We buy our refresh computers for the entire year in January. So I have something like 40 laptops in my storage room to start and am usually down to 2-3 by this time of year.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Does aws have decent identity management yet

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

A simple no would have been fine

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Got budget approval to replace our Meraki MX84 next year.

Not sure what to replace it with yet. Boss is leaning towards an F5 something but I have no experience with that brand.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Actually looking at it, my boss is crazy and f5 doesn't appear have any products like what we want.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

incoherent posted:

Extreme networks. It appears they're the last of not-licensing your wifi out there.

the mx84 is an edge device: https://meraki.cisco.com/product/security-sd-wan/medium-branch/mx84/

we're keeping our meraki wireless, that product works fine

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

klosterdev posted:

Don't tell your boss about wingdings

Or do

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Matt Zerella posted:

Passed my AWS Solutions Architect Associate test! :toot:

Nice

I have the second test for the azure architect cert coming up here soon.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Reached out to recruiter, cloud engineer job is still going through other interviews and hasn’t made a decision.

Hoping that everyone else is terrible.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Biowarfare posted:

Where are people getting windows server sysadmin jobs? am i missing something? small companies only?

My LinkedIn is a sea of Windows admin jobs while I’m trying to get out of it.

There are plenty of companies that don’t have on house dev teams, don’t produce an app and aren’t 100% cloud native.

Your job is going to be mostly janitoring some creaky lob apps, o365, and whatever other saas platforms the business remembers to tell you about. If you’re lucky you get to build some automations and integrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Gort posted:

I didn't see a way to make PerfMon log what processes were using how much RAM at a given time.

You create a collector set, pick the items you want to monitor, then the location to save to disk.

If you have azure you can install an azure monitor agent and then use log analytics.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Gort posted:

Sure, but there doesn't seem to be an option in the collector set to select "RAM usage by process" or whatever, maybe I'm just terrible at this program.

No Azure here, it's just a random Windows server in a room somewhere

iirc, you can do private bytes/process instance and I think it lets you pick the instance that you monitor

e:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Also, Azure and AWS both have very good trial programs.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Woof Blitzer posted:

It's pronounced 'jit'

juck jou

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Super Soaker Party! posted:

Thanks buddy, always appreciate a burn from the most awful browser in existence.

How's the update timing ability of WuFB? Can you set it to do things like wait two weeks before installing updates, etc? We're starting to deploy Intune and I'd love to toss WSUS in the trash because goddamn I've spent years on care and feeding of WSUS (not helped by AdamJ deciding to paywall his script - don't get me wrong he should make money off his work, but a lot of people don't see the point of paying someone for WSUS maintenance), and I'd sure love to stop doing that. Especially since many of the machines are now remote anyway and only connecting to the updates server through VPN, which is stupid.

You can create rings to manage update timing, but the longest you can defer a regular update is 30 days.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/update/waas-deployment-rings-windows-10-updates

We just switched to WuFB last Monday.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

fortigate 60f or palo alto pa-220

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

BaseballPCHiker posted:

My job search/pivot into security is not going well.

Seems like all of the jobs I want are actually either requiring a degree or 6-8 years in security in place of a degree. I'm also seeing a lot of requirements for experience in Azure which I am lacking. I've setup ADSync and migrated some small businesses to Exchange Online but that was nearly 6 years ago and I'm sure not all that relevant anymore.

job requirements are a wish list, not hard requirements. apply anyway.

quote:

Does anyone have any recommendations on training for Azure stuff? I remember way back in the day I was able to do some virtual labs to play around and learn with for free. Is Azure lab services the way to go for this now?

The cloud guru courses are very good. Nick Colyer's courses are what I used to study for the azure architect certification.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Matt Zerella posted:

Speaking of terraform, I’m doing the training on Udemy for the associate cert right now and its pretty good. I already have experience with TF and I’m still picking things up.

What’s the name of the course? I might be interested.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

George H.W. oval office posted:

I know Microsoft was really touting their new MS Learn courses and Azure being on the of initial offerings. Taking their free lessons lets you do real stuff like powershell into an Azure environment and setting it up.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/learn/azure/

Isn't MS Learn, Lynda rebranded?

Also, the pluralsight Azure courses are free as part of some partnership thing too.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I do actually

We are rolling out docusign right now

Did you have any specific questions?

E:

Basic gist is adobe sign bad, docusign (mostly) good

The Fool fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Oct 15, 2020

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Adobe Sign was a non-starter for us due to their non-existent data retention tools.

We're rolling out Docusign right now and another team is building a bunch of workflows in Logic Apps to integrate with Sharepoint Online.

The only complaint I have about Docsign right now is that setting it up with ADFS was way dumber than it needed to be.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Recruiter called me earlier this morning and said the company I interviewed with intended to send me an offer.

I guess there's a couple HR related hoops I need to jump through, but an offer letter should be imminent.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

The HR hoop the recruiter told me about was to fill out a second job application.

For "Senior Cloud Automation Engineer" instead of "Cloud Automation Engineer"

Imposter syndrome is going to be strong for a while I think.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

While I've had nothing but good experience with my recruiter and prospective manager, prospective new job's HR department is loving clown shoes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

Jfc 3/5 of my department has covid including me

F