Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Matt Zerella posted:

The key to teams is to not use the Teams section and just do group chats. Also the calling and conferencing is excellent.

Did they fix the problem where group chats would lag horribly once they reached a few hundred messages?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Why the gently caress does any employee have unencrypted data in their car. Holy poo poo no.

Because the files were too large to send to their Gmail.

Seriouspost.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
I would work for a financial company again if it meant the difference between eating and not eating.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Woof Blitzer posted:

OT money here I come wooooo

wait hold the gently caress on how do i get in on this

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
But that loop is a bash script you could study?

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Anything on a resume is fair game. Asking about major version differences should not be a trip up.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Happiness Commando posted:

I accepted a new job and told my boss. :yotj:

But now I feel bummed because in my head I have let him down, even though objectively I know that's false. Have I been poisoned by some capitalist/corporatist ethos bullshit? :(

Yes. I felt the same way and I hated that boss.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Very late here but I have worked at two places that used Service Now and both had dedicated staff for it. It was awesome and I miss it.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
I take like two sick days a year but if I had COVID you bet your rear end I would milk it for three weeks.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
You're only as good as your challenges. Do it.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
I thought Oracle Cloud needed to pay more or AWS/Microsoft people wouldn't work for them. Like a tax for being chronically uncool.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

luminalflux posted:

Having experts on standby like Percona, PGExperts or 2nd Quadrant is a pro move if your SRE team is small and nobody's a database expert. We learned a LOT about MySQL internals from Percona, which brought my understanding from "lol MySQL, what a loving joke" to "Ok it's actually a real database that has some good stuff in there"

Seconding this. Percona is awesome and since we signed up for support I have learned a ton.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
I replaced "Administrator" with "Reliability Engineer" in my LinkedIn profile and the recruiters definitely noticed.

I even started getting recruiter emails in my personal email, which is not tied to LinkedIn or any professional service. That felt really weird and stalker-ish.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Practice by lying to take a sick day and go for a walk in the woods.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Bonzo posted:

So the wife and I have been watching all the Marvel movies since we are on lockdown. Is Larry Ellison a big Iron Man fan or something? I don't remember ever seeing product placement like Enterprise Manager before and Jarvis has lines like, "Sending data to the Oracle Cloud".

lmao thank god I never watched those movies I would have screamed

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

I have spent a lot of time starting at oracle enterprise manager and a lot of time needlessly suffering through oracle cloud POCs so yes. That would have made me walk out of the theater.

Iron Man was cool when I was twelve but I’m over him now.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Show of hands: How many of you would be moderately to severely hosed if us-east-1 disappeared?

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

pastor of muppets posted:

I am actually a SQL Server DBA and was wondering that myself. If an ad-hoc database backup is causing this much chaos, I assume there's a lot of other basic maintenance like index defrags and integrity checks that just straight up haven't been getting done over the past decade or more.

A few years ago when the forums went down I think it was mentioned that they were running on MySQL which will absolutely have problems if you run a backup on the active node.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

Sorry for this wall of text. I'm having a really hard time figuring out what my next career step should be. I currently do mostly desktop support for general admin co-workers, hand holding support for our faculty, some AD stuff for user accounts, and occasional deleted file restore. It's just me and my boss and he doesn't let me do any sort of extra projects or anything because he wants me 100% available for faculty hand holding. I am not in a position to get extra experience elsewhere because of how things are organized here. I live in Seattle so I assume there are a lot of good options but I feel a bit paralyzed and get quite a bit of anxiety when considering a career path. I've off and on started several online courses, usually linux or cloud stuff, where I'll get a couple weeks in and start questioning if this is the correct choice and then abandon it. I'm worried that any courses I take won't be sufficient and that I need to get a lateral job elsewhere to be able to obtain the necessary experience to move my career forward. I also feel inexperienced in business because this is my first real job, I'm nearing middle age, and I'm VERY worried that if I go elsewhere I will be in over my head after listening to my girlfriend having zoom meetings in her marketing manager job. I'm also worried that due to my inexperience dealing with anything beyond what I currently do that if I start going down a path I'll find out I don't like it or the job market sucks for that particular jr thing. I know the answer is to stop being such a loving baby and stop imagining things that haven't happened yet from holding me back but my anxiety makes that feel impossible sometimes.

Two things to do:
1) Pick a certification that is doable and schedule an exam for 2-3 months out. One of the Microsoft foundational certs would probably be a good start. Ask in the cert thread for more ideas. Take the exam even if you're sure you'll fail.
2) Start job hunting now and apply for a Tier 2/3 helpdesk or NOC position. Doesn't really matter if you hear back or not, just go through the process once.

Give yourself until next week to do some research and then actually do both of these things. It will feel weird and might even make you queasy. That's normal.

Keep in mind:
Whatever job you land in will probably be pretty uncomfortable for the first 6-12 months. You may well be in over your head for a while. If you land in the right place, your new employer will expect this and they will give you time to adjust.
Certifications are not in themselves valuable, but they demonstrate that you can self-teach and are self-motivated. These are very valuable attributes in a prospective employee.
You can always switch paths if you don't like it or the job market dries up. IT requires people to constantly re-skill in order to grow, even at senior levels.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Look at this guy balking at clear requirements from a user who knows what they want.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Can confirm PowerShell in Linux behaves like bash in that screen outputs get returned by functions. However I haven’t had that problem when running it on Windows.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
You asked for no books but "The Design of the Unix Operating System" is probably exactly what you're looking for. It's old but well written.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Blinkz0rz posted:

We're opening an office in Tampa and there are legitimately people from our Boston office who are excited about relocating. Like, I could see maybe if it were Miami and that was your thing but who looks at loving Tampa and goes "yeah that looks like a great place to live"?

They're going to sell their poo poo-rear end 3bed/1bath ground floor condos and pay cash for a mcmansion with no mortgage. Sounds like a baller deal.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Vargatron posted:

This is giving me flashbacks to when I worked as a Business Systems admin at an automotive firm. I went through at least three ERP upgrades/implementations and they all went as you've described in some way.

Yeah that sounds very normal for an ERP migration.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

welp this is gonna be fun.

I was just informed that all users can access our ERP through applications such as Excel and Access and that they can apparently retrieve any information they want meaning that outside of the ERP application, there are no DB permissions.

It gets worse... We can't disallow applications from connecting to the DB because people have to use Crystal reports / ODBC / Excel / Access for whatever reasons.

We apparently want to keep this ability intact, but also somehow lockdown DB permissions for users accessing the DB outside of the ERP application. All the ERP permissions exist in solely to limit data access the ERP app, and are not applied to the DB itself? I think? I don't know. How this has been an unidentified problem for like a decade is beyond me.

It's worse than you're making it sound. Tightening permissions won't matter because the DB password for the ERP system is on sticky notes under every keyboard on your floor.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I just dont think I can swing two jobs, even if easy right now, along with a 5 month old, and an upcoming move to a town 3 hours away. Anyway else tried to juggle all of that?

What's stressful about getting a tugboat to tow your house down the river?

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Isn't it MAANG now?

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Thanks Ants posted:

So I'm happy to just wait until Microsoft realise they have a huge usability problem and get round to fixing it.

Like they did with Teams?

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
At 25 I was making $30k/year doing application support. I told my boss I was moving and he could let me work from home or I would quit, so he let me do it.

This was 15 years ago and nobody at the time believed me when I said I worked from home. They thought I was some kind of wizard.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Bob Morales posted:

Is he doing stuff with more than just KnowBe4?

Can't believe he's still milking getting arrested in like 1994.

The techniques he used in 1994 are still totally valid today. Nobody has learned anything.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
I definitely have former coworkers who are working the same job they had when I first started posting.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

mightygerm posted:

Is there a good crash course on Microsoft SQL Server? I mostly work in a Linux environment, so I’m familiar with SQL servers in general, and have set up MySQL/ Postgres etc. There’s a grandfathered Windows server that’s coming under my care with some customer data, and I want to make sure I know how to do the basics like logging, reports, backup/restore, check the schema/table setup and so on. Is there a good quick course/reference for this, or should I just kinda continue googling issues as they come up?

SQL Server in a Month of Lunches is very good.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
That and millenials-to-snake-people will take you far in this life.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

GreenNight posted:

Places don't call HR departments and verify employment anymore?

Equifax has an automated service for this now.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2022/10/equifax-surveilled-1000-remote-workers-fired-24-found-juggling-two-jobs/

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Sickening posted:

They are not offering this for a service. That was equifax using their own data.

Employment verification is a service they offer.

I just added the link to emphasize that it is, quite naturally, being used for evil.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Their support sucks rear end and every new release is slower than the last. I wouldn't pin this on the downturn.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Finally I meet someone else who dislikes Mongo. It just feels like an unnecessary solution for people who have clothes on the floors of their bedrooms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I'm one week away from starting my new job that I already signed an offer letter for.

Current place is now saying they'll match the offer, throw in a 10% bonus if I stay one year, give me an extra week of vacation each year AND create a whole new position for me if I stay.

Honestly not sure what to do now. This old place is a poo poo show but the work life balance is second to none and I'd get 3 months paternity for when my wife and I have our 2nd kid next year. I'd also be at 6 weeks of PTO a year which would be awesome.

Good work life balance, 3 months paternity, and 6 weeks a year sounds loving awesome but that's just, like, my opinion.