Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Add a good whiteboard and moderator controlled breakout rooms and you have the education market sown up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Chalets the Baka posted:

Does anyone have any tips + tricks and best practices for implementing automated patch management (WSUS)? Right now we do patches manually after hours, which means RDP'ing into each machine and running Windows update. This can take, with two people doing the work, 3-4 hours on patch nights. We had some layoffs in our department and this means I'll be the sole person doing the patching, and I'd rather be at home smoking weed than screwing around with patches.

I'm reading Microsoft's official documentation on it, so I'm looking for experiential protips/warnings if anyone has some to spare.

It is very very simple. install WSUS, set GPO so machines talk to Wsus. approve patches. Smoke weed.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

The course name seems to be ITT 281. Does a 200 level course normally have pre-requisites. It seems like there is basic understandings of HTML etc missing.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

spiny posted:

There are about 50 rooms, not all in use at the moment, but could be at some point in the future.
One host/company per room
They don't neccesarily need a public IP, but many of them have asked about port forwarding so they can RDP into their work PCs while away, and we get statics for ADSL servives for free, so have advised customers that they get an IP of their own.
They need some sort of router as each office is, well, an office, with printers, laptops NAS boxes etc that need to talk to each other, but not be seen by the office next door, or down the hall.

I don't know enough about layer2/3 stuff to know why this is a bad thing ?

if each router has a firewall and a separate IP, then surely they won't be able to see devices on other networks ?

Give the scope to the ususal suspects (Cisco, Fortinet, HP, Dell etc) and let them design the solution for you. Other option is to partner with an ISP to provide bandwith to the clients.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

jaegerx posted:

Man recruiters must be so qualified. What department store did you manage before dark?

FYI, you are coming across as an insufferable twat right now.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Zaepho posted:

Good advice, I hope I can follow it as I have a panel interview Monday with 5 people. VP, CIO, Director, Senior Manager and Manager. I've been trying to memorize names even if i don't have faces to go with them yet although I've considered attempting to stalk them on LinkedIn for faces.

Bonus for this interview is I'm not actively looking for a job and really don't need to make a move for any strong reason (aside from a desire for some career advancement).

I am not sure what would scare me off more. 5 layers of management, or the fact they all need to be their for the interview.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Dark Helmut posted:

For the love of god just don't put your wife/gf/kids in it.

But how else will I prove I am better than the other neckbeards?

Is it Ok if I have them all wearing bad shirts and hats?

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Bigass Moth posted:

I don't know if this is a bullshit chatbox thread or actually useful for advice, but I'll try anyway. I already have a bachelor's degree in a technical field and am currently working for a computer infrastructure company after having to switch fields. It turns out I really enjoy what I'm doing and am considering going back to school for a second Bachelor's (or more?) in IT, specifically systems or network engineering. I am also considering programming though I have zero background in that beyond some HTML 15 years ago.

This may be broad and I know I will have to discuss my specifics with potential schools, but what would I need to look at when choosing an education path towards higher-level IT stuff coming from a background with essentially no engineering or computer classes? What should I look for in terms of online classes to actually learn anything?

Echoing others, but don't do a second undergrad. Spend the time and money on certs instead. If you want formal I would go for a trade school program with lots of bundled certs over a degree.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Inspector_666 posted:

Isn't the point of a test to check your knowledge of the material, not your time management or "intuitive understanding" of something?

If you want to asses if someone knows a given set of material, then yes. give them enough time and make it so every question should be answered. If you want to know where the knowledge runs out, to rank candidates or to identify areas for furture learning, then a test that is not completable with a difficulty curve is the tool to use.

I would guess HR grabbed a tool designed for the second case, and used it for the first, because all HR departments are evil.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Bigass Moth posted:

I explained how xbmc works to my father in law today. Well, I basically said it was magic but he seemed impressed. Yesterday he used aol search on our laptop. Am I qualified to work in it now?

depends, what is your opinion on malt liquor?

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

LmaoTheKid posted:

I'm ripping my hair out trying to find a conference call solution where an assistant can schedule a call but not have to call in to the "room".

Anyone have any experience with this?

I'm also dealing with a manager that's insisting we ALL HAVE SKYPE and nope, I'm not having it.

Cisco hosted webex with audio minutes.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

evol262 posted:

Myers-Briggs types don't have a lot of relation to anything. The strong interest inventory, asvab, and others don't test anything like it.

Personality types are not protected by eeo

For Personality type to be protected, it would need more basis than astrology.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

syg posted:

Thanks. I don't have any particular technical questions, I know I'm on track at the moment any way. I've done all this before - every few years we refresh vmware/storage and I become an expert on that again until I forget everything after the dust settles. But I really wish I could chat to another architect or engineer level person when these ideas are bouncing around in real time. At our company money is tight for staffing right now and I understand that, but the amount of autonomy I have is frankly disturbing. I've been left to design and choose every infrastructure system we use without anyone ever checking my work or second guessing my choices. I could literally be creating a multi-million dollar bot net here and I don't think anyone would notice. Granted this has been the case for years and I feel very appreciated, but this just seems like bad business practice giving one person this much leeway.

Have you thought of engaging a proffesional services firm for a day to sanity check your work. It is how I dealt with similar situations.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Methanar posted:

What kind of questions should I asked to identify if that's really what I'm going into. It doesn't sound terrible to me but I don't have any frame of reference.

Even if it does look bad from the interview I guess it doesn't hurt me any to get practice interviewing.

ask if you are a sole operator or part of a team. It seems to me to be a good start for a junior admin working with some more senior people to talk to.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

skylined! posted:

So...a bunch of specialized narcissistic children. Sounds like managing chefs.

(edit before immolation - just kidding and not trying to be offensive - I'm more interested in learning how to get a foot in the door than worrying about how to manage in the sector)

Difference is chefs have knives, and throw things more.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

adorai posted:

Exactly. We have occasionally had to move special snowflake VMs off onto separate hardware. I'm glad that I only had to have a few standard licenses instead of a datacenter license to do it.

I don't understand why anyone thinks that using datacenter for a VM without a compelling reason to do so is advantageous. I can't think of any benefit, and I can think of at least one drawback (the aforementioned licensing issue). Just because it's more expensive doesn't mean you should use it.

For us it is because we get unlimited server licensing under our agreement. We put datacentre on single socket non virtual boxes because we cbf maintaining more than one set of deployment instructions.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

meanieface posted:

Oh, look, the doctor said you'll be out until your quit date on the Aussie version of FMLA. Tell your doctor where the stress is coming from, you'll have a note and possibly a referral to a good employment lawyer.

I missed the bit where Insidius was Australian.

This is real simple. go to the doc and tell him what you told us. he will refer you to a psycologist. Workcover (or whatever it is called in your state) pay's for the lot, if not medicare will. the outcome of the workcover investigation will inform your next steps.

If you get any grief or agro of any sort your next call is to the industrial relations tribunal.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Methanar posted:

I'll check it out tomorrow.

Does anyone have a good primer for understanding vcenter/big boy virtualization and determining the proper number of cpu licenses to buy

No, no-one does. the vendors will upsell you, the integrators will be confused, and the auditors will tell you that you got it wrong and need to buy more.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Honest Thief posted:

So here's something that been going, I've started a new job roughly three months ago and 4 days ago one of the thousands many IT outsource consultancy companies phoned me up with a job opportunity, same old speech, and I accepted to go along with the process, mostly because, 'why not?'. So we schedule an interview at the client, which is a bit off-hand to where I live, basically at the city's outskirts; what happens is that they start questioning me about wanting to skip bail on the way to the interview with the client, something I found a bit weird since they're the ones who phoned and prodded me.

Anyways, not even two days later they threw at me a very attractive monetary proposal, and MUST have my reply in 24hrs or less. The money is good, but half of it is untaxed, payed through some weird legal loopholes, something related to an insurance company that will put money on a separate bank account to mine. They also seem on a hurry to lock the client, so basically they want to force him to decide after having me on board. All in all, I'm finding it a bit fishy, it seems very rushed and half baked, and they almost accuse me of just jumping from job to job and yet want me to do the same now.

On a long term perspective, am I prepping myself to get screwed over?

Sounds like you are asking us to convince you not to.

Don't do it.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Yup, the 7 years was only meant as a general/best-practices discussion. One place I worked several years back had to keep certain records for at least 60 years for certain civil projects, if it related to design or construction.

If you're not sure, talk to a lawyer.

if you are sure, talk to the lawyer anyway.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

whaam posted:

I like the idea of a CISSP because security is one of my favorite things to work with, but none of our industries are high security so it may not have as much value for me here anyway. I am strongly considering more of a PM role, but I don't have a degree, which is also another fear I have going into a less technical role. You can get away with no degree as an engineer or architect, once you get into management they start to look at that a lot closer.

You might be able to get into an MBA based on experience.

there is also the masters in IT http://www.csu.edu.au/courses/maste...tion-technology Is an Australian one, you could try for it as an international distance student. spend that stipend on trips down under each year.

KennyTheFish fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jun 15, 2015

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Chickenwalker posted:

Can someone recommend me a good firewall/IPS appliance? Something with a user-friendly GUI but the ability to tweak and customize from the CLI if necessary. Looking at Untangle and Barracuda currently.

Palo Alto. The UI is dead simple.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I've seen some of their demo's and am leaning towards replacing an aging ASA with a something from Palo Alto. In your experience how is their pricing compared to Cisco? Do they break down features to separate licenses and then charge you a ton depending on what you want or is it more of a pay for it all type deal?

The line items were the box, premium support services, threat prevention subscriptions, URL filtering subscriptions.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

It is the type of service I would consider if I was hiring someone with way more expertise than I have in an area. Pay a friendly engineer who I trust to lab up and grill high level applicants before the screening for culture fit type of thing.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

4) Redact all salary information.

What are the powershell commands for that?

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Potato Alley posted:

Also both Dick Trauma and nitrogen found pods and we hates them now precioussss.

We need a book on how long DT's pod lasts this time.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

KS posted:

Apple TV: requires itunes on Windows?

We use this and airparrot.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

H110Hawk posted:

Glencairn makes them for you. If you can get them to return your emails. Costs around $8/glass with shipping from Scotland. ($10 for low qty, $7 for high qty.)

If they come with USB it could be the next goon purchase.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Sheep posted:

In my opinion IT is mostly a trade, much like plumbing. And similar to plumbing, I hire my plumbers based on whether they have the necessary credentials (not an unrelated 4-year degree), skills, and experience to do the job. The

In my opinion there are still too many people who do the trade qualifications boot camp style (cert 3 or 4, vendor certs) who learn what buttons to press but have no idea on why. A degree indicates a better understanding on when and how to ask why.

Once you have experience how you got your start (trade school, university, nepotism) becomes irrelevant. from then on it is all about runs on the board.

On that. Nepotism is still the best way to get a foot in the door.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

MrMoo posted:

PDF are generally not editable period, I guess that's why they put it as an export option so you do not forget to keep the original.

I really like that idea. it explicitly acknowledges the difference between things the program will edit in the future, and things it wont.

Good UI design.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Maybe a silly question, but what should my one stop industry news source be as a sys admin? I ask because I am just completely overwhelmed by having a few VMware RSS feeds, a few storage, a few SQL, a few Devops, a few Powershell... I go 3 days without checking articles and I'm 400 in the hole and at that point, mark as read, hope I didn't miss anything. Sites like ArsTechnica and Wired seem too pop culture - is there something that a sys admin should be reading as their one stop?

e: This is a silly question, because in this very thread probably 2 years ago, I asked for the overwhelming sources I named above. It's just too much though, too much!

I just use these threads

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Feel free to mercilessly ask us "How do I do X." It will help more than just you.

the most I have learnt is when goons get into arguments about the answer to question like this, and you learn a lot about the why.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

22 Eargesplitten posted:

On the other hand, a lot of time people will come into IT departments and say "___ is starting today, where's his laptop?" when nobody had told anyone anything about a hire or put in an equipment requisition form. An IT employee should be known about ahead of time, though.

We get no or little notice starts all the time. This is an acknowledged event, so we just have half a dozen machines ready to go at all times.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

psydude posted:

In the technology sector there's a definite inverse correlation between the amount you get paid and the amount people care about how you dress.

Depends. for the people fixing poo poo and rescuing people, sure. But for the people reassuring the senior executives while it happens, a nice suit helps. A good firm needs both types.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

anthonypants posted:

I guess I forgot to mention massively inflated self-importance in that post earlier. IT is safely within the realm of the service industry. It is laughable to call IT a skilled trade and it diminishes the work that actual skilled laborers perform in literally the same way that people plaster the title Engineer onto every minor position.

I don't agree with this. calling IT a service industry is like calling Construction a service industry. It is a very broad grouping. IT, like construction, will involve Professionals (Engineers and others), skilled trades and semi-skilled labour. Here is one for you, how would you categorise the forensic auditor, how about if they are an actual certified forensic accountant as well? They are just as much IT as the phone support agent making minimum wage following a script.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

anthonypants posted:

Construction is an industry which produces a physical, tangible good. Construction is absolutely not a service industry, and it sounds like you're offended by the phrase "service industry" as if that's a thing which should be looked down upon. Yes, a forensic auditor, as well as any other type of auditor or any other type of forensic analyst would hold a service industry position.

I didn't take issue with it being called a service industry. I took issue with it not being able to be a skilled trade. someone can do skilled trade in service industries. someone can do IT in service industries or non service industries.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Pay me whatever you want BUT I'M NOT CHECKING EMAIL ON THE WEEKEND!!!

Someone needs to change your avatar to a guy in waders and a straw hat

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

The Fool posted:

Help me feel like less of an imposter!

I started a new job as a systems admin about a month ago. I moved into this after years in the small business msp space.

I need ideas of things to automate/implement/ask for budget for.

Punching bag, crying couch and office puppy.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

flosofl posted:

See you in a couple days! Sorry can't put it into production yet.

God forbid you push to hundreds of switches.

I may be off track a bit here, but with hundreds would you not be building the configurations algorithmically from some sort of configuration engine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

big money big clit posted:

It's pretty okay, really.

Yeah, sitting in a chair pushing a mouse sure beats a shovel in the heat.