Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Internet Explorer posted:

I see the solution. Another minion.

The start of your own empire. A network architecture team that reports to your boss, but also works for other parts of the company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

jaegerx posted:

have ya'll thought of you know, taking notes? it's pretty quick to type unless you're a hunt and peck typer.

I find it hard to take notes and participate in the discussion. It might be my broke brain. I cant have talk radio or a TV show on in the background and read at all.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

If I have infinite budget, what would be the absolute most reliable video conferencing system? CEO has about had it with Bluejeans loving up (i.e. we share a video or slides and they play to maybe half of our 6 offices and not to the other half, at random). One board member is suggesting Zoom but I did a demo and wasn't impressed. Am I stuck with Cisco room systems or something?

I have heard good things about https://www.pexip.com

Content sucks on most platforms once you move from exclusive room based systems though.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

skipdogg posted:

One company I dealt with had a pretty good system I think, your sAMAccountName was your first and last initial and what I assume is a random 4 digit number. That should scale pretty well.

Names change. Have the HR systems and processes make a number for people when first encountered. make that the unique ID everywhere.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

RFC2324 posted:

If you don't like dynamite i don't know what to say anymore.

Its cool, but not as a mail management tool.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

The Claptain posted:

Something doesn't seem quite right with this job posting.

The dot points in the scope don’t actually make sense to me. It reads like some sort of IT word salad

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Internet Explorer posted:

4 beers a week?

lol

While we all like to joke about the job driving us to single malt. It’s probably good to reflect every now and then.

I hear replacing booze with light exercise helps the stress, the wallet, and makes life easier to manage.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Our mayor, many-many years ago, hosed up and dumped every unspent dollar into the pension fund, several fiscal years in a row.
Shortly thereafter, the city council passed measures preventing anyone from ever touching the pension fund.

Now, completely by accident, we have the strongest pension in the state and there's nothing anyone can do about it.
If I retired from this place, I'd get 110% of the average of my last 2 years' salary after 20 years of service.

Can you really call that a gently caress up?

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Volguus posted:

Good ideas. Thanks.

Can I pipe up with a suggestion of a Palo Alto NGFW as a VM? they are relatively easy to set up and do VPN fairly well. if you wanted to go with a small appliance like the 220, then a partner might have a trial unit you can put in.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

CLAM DOWN posted:

What. You can't file your own taxes for free in the US?

You can, but its the paper form. Government is not allowed to make it easy to file online for taxpayers because free market or something.

The idea of government offering service seems anathema to Americans

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Gabriel S. posted:

How the hell has anyone kept a job at the same place for so long? Don't you get bored?

Nearly every company I've ever been at has always done layoffs. :smith:

20 years in public education. There is always little people to put things in perspective.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I mean I wasn't asking for a number from you guys, but a generalist sysadmin around here getting paid fairly seems to be around 100k/yr so I was thinking $100/hr. OTOH since I'm probably going to be working somewhere around 250-300 hours per year I'm worried that taxes and an accountant will cut into it too much at that rate. My business partner and I are going to be partially (at least at first) replacing the client's incompetent MSP, which I'm pretty sure is charging at least $200 if not $300/hr, I'm not sure if he got that information from the client (he already knows them, which is part of why we got this), so whatever I ask it will probably be under what they are paying. I don't want to overcharge, just get a reasonable rate.

A good Labour charge-out rate is 3 times the hourly rate the person gets. this covers the on costs, downtime, business profit, etc.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Woof Blitzer posted:

The #1 thing I see people do wrong is undervalue themselves to try and compete with the Brazilians, Indians, etc. who have the currency advantage. Don't. When you charge a fair price and do extremely high quality work, people will come to you. Also as mentioned before get ready for invoice fuckery. Make sure you're all straight in terms of legal paperwork so that you can kick asses if you have to.

There is a good youtube video on this from a while ago. A creative type talking to other designers and stuff about making sure you get paid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVkLVRt6c1U

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

jaegerx posted:

Stop talking about this. You’re gonna attract Canadians

The Australians are too busy taking time off to respond.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Dick Trauma posted:

He was a heavy-hitter, and I figured he'd last only a year or two until he got tired of working for a chicken outfit. He just hit the two-year mark, and is leaving for an appropriately high-level job. It's a bummer because he was handling our compliance stuff and acted as a buffer between me and my boss on those projects.

Can you reach out for him to take you along?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Silly Newbie posted:

I was thinking about ITIL and ITSM, but some kind of MBA boot camp might be what I should really look at. I'm strong technically and in project management, strong in managing people from the "what kind of bosses helped me succeed in the past and what did they do" philosophy, but I'm relatively weak on the business side of things.
Thanks everyone who contributed, talking it out helped my own thought processes too.

MBA stuff is better once you have a few years of management under your belt I have been told.

Look for short courses on coaching, day or two day workshops on specific leadership models, such as capability leadership etc.

And I suggest a mentor, like a proper external professional you engage fortnightly or monthly like a counsellor, but for professional things. That you can talk to confidentially.