Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Right, but if you are a company large enough to employ CCIEs then you sort of have to assume that you also employ MCSA/MCSEs as well. So by going to the Cisco guy you'd assume that you were being asked to implement it on the networking kit.

But whatever, it was a made up situation and a strange statement to make.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

H.R. Paperstacks posted:

But I'm not paying CCIE rates to have a discussion about what a better solution to DHCP on a network device would be. It shouldn't have been offered as a solution in the first place.

Don't ask them about setting you up a DHCP server then :thumbsup:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I built an intranet off the :10bux: version of Confluence a couple of jobs ago. 10 users is plenty if you just make the thing viewable by everyone, then have one account per department or whatever to contribute. If it turns out that it's useful then you can move to the paid version.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Zero VGS posted:

I wouldn't trust it even if it were an option for me (which it isn't because my only servers are in Azure and I don't even want to imagine how that is supposed to work over VPN).

2x Server 2012 R2 instances running DHCP failover, and IP helper.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Presumably you could leave the DHCP server configured on the switches but just set the delay to something that would never normally see it do anything, I'm not that familiar with using Cisco switches as DHCP servers outside of using them in a lab in L3 mode to mimic a clients network.

Ideally you'd have a DC on-premise though.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You're going to need to do all that work as soon as you need some decent storage on-prem as well though.

Lenovo have some servers that are designed to run hot if getting AC is going to cost you too much. Also:

quote:

Dell Fresh Air capable next-generation hardware can perform continuously at 40°C (104°F), in up to 85 percent Relative Humidity at a 29°C dew point in non-corrosive, clean air environments such as ISA-71 Class G1. And this enterprise hardware can perform for time-based excursions up to 45°C (113°F) and humidity up to 90 percent (29°C maximum dew point).

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

hihifellow posted:

documentation that nobody reads anyway.

Confluence didn't fix that part, for what it's worth.

The only time anyone here refers to documentation is when it gives them a chance to be all :smuggo: about the fact that a change that was made wasn't reflected in the documentation, because what's change management.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Keeping a list of poo poo that is linked to a company credit card is 100% the job of the accounts department, so they shouldn't be looking around for ways to minimize the impact of them not doing their jobs. Having said that, I'm reasonably sure you can add a second funding source if setting an Outlook reminder that a corporate card is about to expire is beyond them.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Wasn't DAF a renamed CF?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Bhodi posted:

I once got headhunted by Palantir and I told them that with their software, they should already know I'm not interested in working for their company. Spying on citizens really brings out the snark in me, I guess.

They're a strange bunch. I interviewed with them in London a couple years back and at the time it seemed like their European team were recruiting people without really having any need for them, which led to some awkward video conferences where three rounds of US staff contradicted each other and had no idea what the job that had actually been advertised was about. I got a strong sense that if you weren't in the Palo Alto team then they didn't consider you a 'real' employee. That and trying far too hard to project their corporate culture as an easy-going casual environment just creeped me out too much.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I have never seen a workable SharePoint installation that had been through a version upgrade.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

We use Office 365 at work, and it seems that every time I load it up and set about doing something it lets me do it for a few seconds before overlaying a massive "this webpage needs to be refreshed" dialog (wtf, I just browsed to it), or just refreshes without asking.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Contingency posted:

suggests a patch panel is not necessary.

:gonk:

These people exist?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Let me bolt a Windows Pro license onto an Office 365 sub for ~£30 a year or so, gently caress off with the CALs and I'll be happy.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

CALs and especially having to buy SA on the CALs just leaves an incredibly bad taste. I can't honestly think of a legitimate reason why you have to pay Microsoft to use a Microsoft desktop OS with a Microsoft server OS, other than :10bux: and "gently caress you".

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZS8e-oEq0-s

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

This might not be (probably definitely isn't) the same for all consulting gigs, but in my current role I definitely feel pressured to get in, get the job done in the allocated (read: billed for) time, and get out again, rinse repeat with the next client. There's nothing technically wrong with this approach but personally I much prefer internal roles where I can grow with the company, and a slow day is an opportunity to implement new things that aren't necessarily needed but do work towards the goal of "make technology work better for people". Like if I'm putting new VM infrastructure or storage in somewhere and I see their Wi-Fi is 100 people sharing a WPA2 key I'd like to be able to move things to RADIUS, but welp, not part of the project scope, on to the next job.

I plan on getting back into an internal role within the next year or two.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Best of luck to him, I'm sure it will all be completed by Monday and there are no ports that behave differently to others. And even if there are I bet it's all documented and the patching is coloured/labelled appropriately.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I need to find a supplier of patch cables that doesn't supply them in plastic bags and uses a paper wrap to hold them together instead of the twist ties. Even having to pull 50 of those apart pisses me off.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The Peplink stuff is really good, but the tunnel thing they hype up involves creating as many VPN links as you have connections back to a Peplink device hosted in a datacentre, and tunnelling over that. Without the tunnel to another device part of the setup you at best get a round-robin style load balancing.

For the price of what you're suggesting and still having no real SLA you can probably get a decent UTM box and a fibre circuit with cable as a backup or something.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Eifert Posting posted:

This is probably not the right place to ask this but I am looking at a bunch of jobs that heavily utilize excel and my most recent experience was in Uni like 8 years ago. Does anyone here know of a good online refresher for the most recent iterations of excel? I'm googling as well but if y'all know one in particular that's the best I'd appreciate hearing about it.

Is there some reason printers are so ridiculously unreliable compared to other hardware? It seems like the same issues that plagued printers when I was in grade school affect them now.

People think they understand printers, so they aren't scared to 'have a go' at fixing them. Also feeding one sheet of paper through a machine at a time is quite difficult, especially when that machine may have been given only poo poo quality paper that sheds dust everywhere, and never had the area around it cleaned so the fans suck dirt in all day long.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Freshdesk is hard to beat - three agents are free.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:stonklol:

Also don't sign up to expensive courses with places that aren't schools or don't offer actual industry certs. Some of them might be good, most of them scream scam. If you feel that you need to spend money to get out of a career rut then do an Open University degree.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I thought there were a few US colleges doing online part-time study that weren't scams? It's not anything I have knowledge of though.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

syg posted:

Anyone else in an environment with no technical peers?

Sort of. I think if it were ten years ago then a lot of the knowledge my colleagues have would be relevant, but stuff like VLANs and routing shouldn't be voodoo magic.

Unfortunately they seem to be in a position where sounding like they know what they are talking about is good enough, and actually bringing a solution together isn't a required skill. Since they can just walk away from a half-done job and nobody seems to call them on it.

I would understand if they were in a management role and delegated the technical stuff, but the first response to being asked to look into providing a new service for our customers is to start pricing up servers and co-lo space because the #1 priority is to play with new toys and who cares if it never generates a profit?

I think it's going to be :yotj: o'clock soon, I'm terrified of getting stuck.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Feb 13, 2015

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you go too far down that road you're into BIM territory which is overkill. I'd do a Visio drawing per floor and then a drawing per riser, and keep checking them regularly to make sure they are in sync with each other.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It sounds like you want a terminal server on the cheap.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That's a stupid way of licensing a website, and there's no way you're having multiple RDP sessions to a Windows desktop without hacking around and replacing bits of it with some unsigned crap found on the internet.

Get some RDS CALs.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I thought that technet blog post that says you need CALs for guest users had been dismissed as a load of poo poo? Certainly the comments thread seems to point to their own license agreements disagreeing with it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Also at what point does it become cheaper to spin up a subsidiary company, license a bunch of stuff with SPLA and tenant that company inside your company as an IT service provider with the only customers being the original company and 2 or 3 totally bogus ones thrown in to make it look more legitimate?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:psyduck:

How on earth did someone think that was acceptable?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Or pay someone else like £2.50 a month per mailbox to host it all for you.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Spudalicious posted:

Sent off an email to management last Friday, attached with my e-mail outsourcing proposal to Google Apps (we were choosing between office 365 and google apps for nonprofits). The guy who manages the trust behind our organization wanted Office365, literally everyone else wanted Google Apps, so he had us go through a huge selection process. Needless to say, after I had the director come in and straight-up tell me "we're doing google, this is just to shut him up", I felt a whole lot better about everything. All things considered I still did a fair process of evaluating both solutions, and the bottom line is a huge portion of our users are already using google's collaboration tools on personal accounts so it makes sense to make the switch. Also I hate managing e-mail, and we had an outage (ISP's fault) last week and people still got mad at IT for e-mails being rejected.

One thing though, I'm going through the standard google how to migrate, and I am thinking that it may be a good time to switch our AD domain name. We are currently org.local in Active Directory (a holdover that never got re-done). What are the implications of changing the domain to org.edu? My google apps account is set for org.edu, and they have tools in the directory sync tool to handle mapping different domain names around, but I've never changed domain names before, always just set it up as the actual domain. From what I'm reading, Exchange 2007 and up (our current email server) does NOT support domain rename process, but I was thinking if we are on google apps that it will work properly? Will it be easier to change my AD domain TLD to .edu before or after our e-mail migration?

Probably best suited to the enterprise Windows thread, but Google Apps Directory Sync doesn't care about .local domains, it goes by whatever the email address is set to on the user object.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Two decks of cards is still far too big for a keyring

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

With all the noise they were making about the delays being caused by manufacturing issues, I gotta say the finished article still looks like a prototype.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's a shame because I was looking at it with interest, but I think it would be a bit fragile. Hopefully it spurs some competition in the £100-£200 network tester space, because I would struggle to justify a Fluke for the few occasions I need a tester - we have guys we use to actually pull, terminate and test drops.

My trusty Peak Atlas IT will have to do for now until something better comes along.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Sacred Cow posted:

Still no computer

:wtc:

How disorganised are they? At this point they must have paid several times more than the cost of a laptop to have you sit on your arse all day.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Jesus christ take a break, even if it's just a walk outside for a bit. I'm in a fortunate position where I'm in central London so a walk over to the Houses of Parliament, London Eye, St Pauls cathedral etc. is easily doable which gives a decent reason to get outside, but even when it wasn't I'd go and find a bench somewhere and sit for a bit.

If you're salaried then the work still gets done, and there's the understanding that slower weeks have you leaving earlier. I'd hate to have to work to a clock outside of making sure I was at appointments when I said I'd be.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Does any vendor have a BIOS/UEFI configuration tool that can be deployed onto clients and controlled via Group Policy Extensions? Because that would be :coal:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Zero VGS posted:

My company is running some quotes for security and we were quoted $20k to install 7 security cameras and an on-premises recording device which turns out to be two 2gb spinner hard drives in a Raid-0 config with a 1-year warranty. I have no confidence this thing is going to save us when we need it.

I'm seeing 7 dropcams each with a month of cloud recording is $1000 a year total and I figure I'll recommend something along those lines instead. Are there any cloud services similar to Dropcam that anyone here can vouch for, or otherwise low-maintenance and affordable on-premesis solutions?

One of the last projects I started the ball rolling on for my previous employer was rolling upgrades of the old analogue CCTV system to a new IP system. I was by far the most impressed with Avigilon's offering in terms of the camera hardware and integration with the software, and the ease of use of the system (the people pulling CCTV footage and burning DVDs/exporting encrypted files to flash drives aren't technical at all). All the feedback I've had is that the system is entirely awesome. It's not cheap, but it's costing less each year than maintaining the analogue stuff was.