Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I'm being put in charge of three things soon-- Verismic (power management software), Symantec Endpoint AV Server, and the university Firewall. I don't know a single thing about our firewall setup, but has anyone here used Verismic or SAV? Any thoughts/comments?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Tab8715 posted:

Dark Helmut, how much weight do you put into references?

Not directed at me, but I once had a woman leave me three references. The first had a missing digit on the phone number, submitted online that way and in print form. The second was her sister-in-law. I didn't call the third. Don't do that?

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

three posted:

People live in Missouri?

Arkansas, represent y'all

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

beepsandboops posted:

ticketing system.

We use Numara Track-It! 8.5. It works pretty well, I haven't really had any annoyances with it yet. Pretty much any feature you'd want a ticketing system to have, this has it.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Regarding carchat, I interviewed for a position that had about an hour commute from my house; they asked if I had a reliable vehicle, I said yes, but I also volunteered that to save gas I'd be riding a motorcycle most days. They pretty much said 'good luck with that', and I didn't get the job. Probably not because of the bike, but I got the feeling they didn't like that for whatever reason. I've ridden the bike to interviews before and usually it's a good conversation starter, chances are at least one person interviewing me rides or rode in the past.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Are you Jeff? Why doesn't Jeff have anywhere he'd rather be?

Congrats on the launch!

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I hit the gym with co-workers during lunch, usually every work day. Lucky, there's a really nice facility on campus and employees get to use it for free. Lunchtime is alright, although sometimes I'd rather eat and watch tv during that hour.

Students moved in today, though, so it will be interesting to see how much busier the place gets during that hour.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

GreenNight posted:

We had it easy - no public folders, no archiving and no pst files. Suck it, users.

Living the dream... meanwhile, I'm over here helping a professor remount a 9gb .pst in order to find an email from 2002

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

When that day comes, the new version will be released.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Another good one is ADW Cleaner: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/

Between MBAM, that, and ComboFix I'm usually able to clear out any infections.

Zero VGS posted:

Called back on that job offer and insisted on $70k base. They balked, I walked.
Hell yeah! Good job.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Sheesh man, have fun with that

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Bravo! Way to go, enjoy the :yotj:

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

401k chat, just want to brag, I put in 6%, university matches it and throws in an additional 4%. Free money!

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Golbez posted:

Should I bother trying to ask for a raise for a job I desperately no longer want to be at? Is Year of the Job still trucking along?
The worst that can happen is they say no, the best is that your last few paychecks are higher than expected. You've got nothing to lose, ask away

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I use TeamViewer for personal use, and it's pretty great. Join.me sucks but is ok in a pinch. We need a remote program on campus here, so bring on the discussion!

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

We rely on the user to perform the updates :suicide:

Unfortunately that's the case for Adobe and java as well, so we end up with lots of Ask Toolbars and Mcaffee security scans

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Ashley Madison posted:

Can anyone recommend any decent security blogs? I'm not well-informed on that side of the industry because it's outside of my purview, but I would like to stay informed.

Krebsonsecurity.com if you aren't already visiting it. He's the guy who broke the Target breach story late last year, and a few other big stories besides.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I really enjoy desktop support. Is that weird? I do want to move up into networking because of pay and it's a natural progression for me, but honestly getting out and about around campus solving problems is pretty fun.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Speaking of, did you guys every play on those sites that taught you how to 'hack' by looking through the HTML and page references trying to find the next set of credentials or whatever that allow you to progress? I just searched it and found https://www.try2hack.nl so I guess I know what I'm doing during coffee time tomorrow morning.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Grouchio posted:

Does this work? EDIT: Wait no it doesn't.

file:///C:/Users/Ian/Documents/Ian_html2/image_demonstrations.html

...What if you put it in the search engine? I reached it from there.

That's a local link to your computer. Unless you share the contents of your C: with us, that paste is useless. Is this your first semester of CS?

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Thanks for posting that link. I'm going to try to get that implemented here!

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

My ShoreTel phones keep taking a poo poo, seemingly randomly around campus. It's happening at 8 or 9 minutes after the hour, 6 hours apart. Except for when it doesn't match that pattern, maybe 10% of the time, hence the confusion.

Our theory is that there's some device out there that was connected last week causing this, but we haven't been able to track it down. It doesn't seem to affect anything else, and the phones just freeze-- they still display the user's name and other details, but when you pick it up there's no dial tone. Shortly after, the phone will display No Ethernet. A hard reset will fix it, so today we affixed 120v timers to every Power Injector on campus to force a reboot at 6am every day. We've got WireShark running on a few laptops at known failure locations, so hopefully reviewing logs tomorrow will turn up something.

It's such a strange problem and I have so little information that I doubt anyone here will have answers, but I'd be remiss if I didn't mention it.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

mewse posted:

What type of PoE switches are you using? Only time I've seen "no ethernet" was on a burnt port on a switch. Means the phone is still receiving power but the link was disestablished.

The switches are no problem; that is, we've written an automated script to reset the port when it goes down. It's the buildings without PoE switches that are the problem, the Power Injectors are just passthrough devices with no monitoring or management capability.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

mewse posted:

If the power is continuous but the data side goes down then surely the problem is not with the power injectors?

Indeed, resetting the power injectors forces a phone reboot, fixing the problem. A temporary band-aid to be sure, but it works.

Last week while we were investigating this, our ShoreTel vendor/support assured us that this was not the servers acting up and that the problem was elsewhere. Being no closer to a solution after the weekend, we rebooted the ShoreTel servers last night. My boss didn't do this initially because something about it was tough to get back up (some kind of services or features don't start automatically, I'm not sure). The phones haven't gone down since. This was literally a case of, "Did you try turning it off and back on again?", unless it turns out there is a device that somehow interferes with the server, albeit not immediately.

Edit-- And, might have spoke too soon; two buildings just went down :sigh:

CloFan fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Nov 4, 2014

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Nvm

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Well... it is possible

Why is it asking me to predict salaries? I'm literally just guessing because, if I knew the salaries these people are making, why would I be on this site? And if it's averaging my guess with other peoples', it sure is skewed.

Regarding Japanese Dating Sim, sure it's possible, but not really when you work for a public university. At least, that's the case at my employer... top dog makes a hair shy of 100k, next highest is around 55k and bottom-rung helpdesk is paid minimum wage with no benefits.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

A couple dorm buildings went down around 7 this morning. Reset those, built a home-made rocket engine, and I coming in to work two hours later tomorrow as comp. All in all, a good day!

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I don't have direct experience there, but I imagine it wouldn't be as much as a private sector job. I work at a public University and the pay is under-par for the position, but the perks and benefits make it worth it.

That said, like you mentioned, I'm sure it's largely based on location and hierarchy in the system.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Looks like the start of an entertaining night..

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Got an Outlook issue I'm stumped on, maybe you gurus have seen something like this before?

One of my users is receiving email in her Junk folder with the message, "This message was marked as spam using a junk filter other than the Outlook Junk E-mail filter". Any mail from internal senders is delivered to the Inbox as expected, but mail from any other domain is sent to the Junk Mail folder, without exception.

There are no rules set in the local Outlook and junk filtering is turned off. In OWA, we found another junk setting and turned it off. Senders are added to a safe sender list, both in Outlook and in ProofPoint (third party spam management). ProofPoint shouldn't be the issue, as it either quarantines or allows messages and shouldn't be tagging anything as junk. We use Symantec Endpoint but email protection is turned off. There is no other security software on her PC; we shut down the PC and recreated her Outlook profile on a different PC and had the same issue. She receives email on her iPhone, but after removing the account from that device altogether we still had the issue.

In the Exchange 2010 server, I'm poking around but I find nothing different in her profile comparted to other users'. When I look up her SCL rules in Exchange Management Shell, they are all blank-- I think this implies that the global server settings apply? In that case, SCLJunkThreshold is set at 8, the default. If I understand correctly, the higher the number, the less strict the junk rule is, and the top number is 9. This leads me to believe that the SCLJunkThreshold number isn't causing it.

Any ideas?

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Right, this is the only user (that we know about, of course) with this issue. It certainly doesn't send everything to junk for the majority of users or there would be an uproar.

So is doing what you explained difficult or risky in any way? I briefly asked my boss if that was an option but he acted like we wanted to avoid doing that if possible.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

That gets returned undeliverable by ProofPoint for User Unknown, I don't have access to that so I'll see if my boss can add that alias to PP

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

CloFan posted:

That gets returned undeliverable by ProofPoint for User Unknown, I don't have access to that so I'll see if my boss can add that alias to PP

Alright, so when sending to the alias it goes to inbox. I'm not sure what that tells me.

\/\/ Alright cool, thanks. I'll look into it further.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I'm in the same boat as Japanese Dating Sim, a co-worker is bringing his WiiU with new super smash bros tomorrow. Hell yeah, holiday weeks!

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Today and Friday are paid holidays, 5 day weekend-- hell yes. Christmas time is even better, I think I get nearly two weeks off, and I only have to use one vacation day.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

I have lots of money; who cares?

Post a screen shot of your bank account

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Uh, that sounds pretty awful man. Unpaid overtime? Where are you located, what are the benefits? It doesn't really matter what you answer though, you're still being underpaid

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Bigass Moth posted:

I don't know if this is a bullshit chatbox thread or actually useful for advice, but I'll try anyway. I already have a bachelor's degree in a technical field and am currently working for a computer infrastructure company after having to switch fields. It turns out I really enjoy what I'm doing and am considering going back to school for a second Bachelor's (or more?) in IT, specifically systems or network engineering. I am also considering programming though I have zero background in that beyond some HTML 15 years ago.

This may be broad and I know I will have to discuss my specifics with potential schools, but what would I need to look at when choosing an education path towards higher-level IT stuff coming from a background with essentially no engineering or computer classes? What should I look for in terms of online classes to actually learn anything?

A lot of people in this thread don't have IT degrees; for instance, I have a degree in physics that has nothing to do with my job. A degree will basically mark a checkbox in HR to get you an interview. Experience is what really matters in this field. To educate yourself, you need to look into Certifications. They're cheaper and (arguably) easier than full-blown college, and are geared toward much more specific and useful topics. There's a Certs thread here in shsc somewhere.

What exactly are you doing now? Does your company offer any kind of tuition reimbursement, or would they be willing to pay for certification tests?

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

You're way overqualified.

Here's the answer I was looking for:

Hahaha I had no idea you could do it that way, I always did it like OwlFancier [Edit: actually, the Dr.'s way is assuming they're hitting the power button to attempt to log off; OF's solution removes the Shutdown option from the list altogether]

Dude, you're definitely ready for IT with the answers you're giving in this thread, put some poo poo on your resume and get out there.

CloFan fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Dec 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Tab8715 posted:

Is anyone opposed to open interviews? The candidate gets a laptop with the internet, command-line, vms and you ask away. If they need to google, read help, etc they can.

I've been really impressed by a lot google-fo and various online sub-communities and I don't really expect you to remember everything but if you can google it in 30 seconds, remember and explain it that's fine by me.

That sounds like a pretty good idea to me.