Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Extremely Penetrated posted:

Could I please get a reality check on my career prospects?
My skillset: VMware; SANs; AD; Windows Server; Backups; Monitoring; Config Management (SCCM for 7000 machines); MS SQL (Ops, not Dev or BI); PowerShell. Enough Linux knowledge to be dangerous. I support a litany of internal apps that don't matter anywhere else. No butt poo poo, no certs or degrees. Post-secondary education was just a trade school diploma in Networking.

I currently have an excellent job, by any metric. I'm a generalist sysadmin for the government. Compensation is 100k with 4 weeks of vacation and hopefully a defined-benefit pension in 25 years. I live in a rural area with a relatively low cost of living, and the commute is 20 minutes. Management has only the vaguest idea of what I do or how I do it, so everything gets filtered through my team lead, who's a great guy and has mentored me where he can. Our IT infrastructure is solid and modern.

But it's a trap. I feel sick picturing myself in this cube for 25 more years (it's been 7 already), and I can't imagine significantly improving my situation here. I could get a team lead job for another 8% plus management's bullshit, but otherwise I'm at the level cap. I'll never be management/executive material and I'm not entreprenurial. I think the best I could hope for is moving far away to a nice climate, while not taking too much of a pay cut.

I'm totally aware that lots of people would kill for my job, and that for effort:reward I should just sit back and coast until retirement. I feel guilty and ungrateful even posting this. But how unreasonable is it to try to get an equivilent-or-better role in, say, New Zealand? Could I even hope for an interview without certing up and/or getting a degree?

My Dad (not forums poster my dad) faced a similar choice as you at one point fairly early in his career. He was a bureaucrat for US Dept. of the Interior, and had basically reached his salary cap (aside from annual COL increases) before he was 30, without moving into management-type roles. It paid very well (I think he was over 6 digits annually by the time he was 35), had fantastic benefits (vacation, health insurance, pension, standard federal gov. benefits, etc) but he absolutely loving hated the work. HATED* it. He was happily married with two kids by that time. He decided to just suck it up, go in, do his lovely job every day for the next 28 years, Come home at 5pm and be happy. He retired about 7 years ago, and now he and mom moved to a golf community, and by all accounts are ridiculously happy with the way things turned out.

I asked him if he regretted keeping that job once. He just looked around, at his nice house within a couple miles of eight or so golf courses, showed me the shed he built in the backyard to hold his electric golf cart, talked about his new titanium-whatever composite drivers just like <some pro golfer> uses, drove me around the area, and asked me why would he ever want to change any of this. It was totally worth it to him, because he was able to look far enough ahead to know that now, for the last 30-40 years of his life, he doesn't have to do anything he doesn't want to do, and had some pretty good times raising me and my brother when he wasn't in the office.

*By hated, I mean even today, years after retirement, his face turns red and he can barely get words out when I try to ask him details about some of the stuff he worked on.

e: Longer post than I meant, but you get the idea. If you are happy with everything outside of work and making good money, sometimes it is absolutely worth it to just suck it up and stay where you are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Internet Explorer posted:

"Everyone's telling me I need to use this virtualization thing. gently caress that, what a bunch of idiots." - some currently unemployed guy, circa 2007

I encountered an....interesting virtualization choice the other day. I'm the MSP, company is ~1,000 miles away, no VPN or anything to our network. SBS is their only server, and it's virtualized.

VM goes down. I don't know if it's a power issue, and ISP issue, or a host issue, or a router/firewall issue because with the SBS down I cannot get onto their network at all.

Call the onsite contact, she throws a shitfit about how can we offer to monitor/maintain their server if we can't even tell her what the problem is. Fun call.

Followed it up with a ~8 paragraph email to their (non-technical) account manager about how maybe this is a dumb setup. Nothing will change.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

SEKCobra posted:

I don't know much about the americas, but that reads more like what an employer would write about you and not a resume. We certainly don't describe ourselves like that here.

It's way too wordy, but yeah, that's how we do things in the states. It should work more along the lines of: Proficient in: X, Y, Z, A, B, C Familiar with E, F, G, H, and with maybe one paragraph instead of five or whatever.....

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Sefal posted:

I'm stuck on this. Company wants to implement 2fa (yay!) But the company doesn't issue out company phones, so everyone has a private phone.
I can imagine users not wanting to use their private phone for 2fa or other business purposes.

The company doesn't want to give out physical tokens. Am I missing something? Don't know how to proceed.

My company did this late last year, with no provision whatsoever for people that didn't want to put this on their phone or didn't have a smart phone. I just set up winauth on my home and work PCs, and use that when logging into whatever that requires 2FA.

I routinely don't bring my phone to work with me, if they want to set up 2fa to log into the work machines, they're going to have to give me a device to handle the 2FA. I tried the push notifications on my phone for about two weeks, and it more than doubled my battery consumption (to be fair, it is an older phone).

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Sometimes I just don't remember to grab it on my way out the door. It's not a long commute, and I've got everything I need on my computer.

CLAM DOWN posted:

2FA apps do not drain the battery lmao

Well, when I leave work for the day I usually have 70 or 80% battery life left. When I had the 2FA set up, it was around 40%. When I uninstalled that, it went back up. Maybe it was just the push authentication (I have 2FA token apps for other things on my phone), but it was definitely the app.

Internet Explorer posted:

Does the company bill you for using their power to charge your phone?

No, but they haven't provided me a charger to keep at work, either.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Except a lot of those apps kill your battery time, that's impacting their personal time without paying them.

CloFan posted:

Yeah, how do you entertain yourself while making GBS threads on company time?

The TP in this building is really bad. I just do my business at home after my coffee before coming in. I flake off plenty without adding an extended poop break.

Corsair Pool Boy fucked around with this message at 04:39 on May 10, 2017

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

RFC2324 posted:

Best change management I ever had was the place that required us to put in a CM for EVERYTHING, including exploratory work(could not log into a box without getting a request through the CAB meeting), CAB meetings only happened weekly, and the change request required a detailed script(as in, each and every step, including exact commands issued. This included the cd command to get into the correct directory if needed).

It was a nightmare, since if anything deviated from the pre-written script, we had to cancel the change, roll back, and submit a new request with the problems solved. We had hdd hot swaps take a month and a half because of minor issue after minor issue(OMSA not installed to verify the new drive, OMSA not in the root $PATH, OMSA installed in unexpected directory, etc) and because it wasn't exactly according to script, we had to pull the new drive, put the old bad one back in, and then plan again for the next week.

We also had to have a manager and a representative from the client in question on a bridge during the swap.

w........what happens when a second drive fails?

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

skipdogg posted:

Have you taken one before? I'll write up a big effort post if you haven't, but if you have I don't want to spend the time on it.

I wouldn't mind even a little effort post. I'm reaching a plateau, and know almost nothing about this stuff.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Carbon dioxide posted:

yet another argument against open seating/hoteling

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

canis minor posted:

As I'm working on my personal computer at work (my work laptop is incoming) I've put in my personal data - so, today my first email to everybody at the new job was labeled as coming from:

[name] [surname] (ei)

Ei is egg in german. And I can't find where to turn it off, so that was embarassing. Good thing it's an english company, but there're some people that definitelly speak german, so there's that.

Are you bald or do you shave your head? It could just be an endearing nickname :shobon:

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
Man, I'd insist on a good, long discussion with HR, and demand someone from there sat in before even CONSIDERING that discussion.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

CLAM DOWN posted:

I think it's more likely an IT nerd with bad body odour is due to him being a lazy socially inept shut-in as opposed to an actual medical issue.

Mental health is a medical issue.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
I'm not saying he IS depressed, I'm saying he could be. Saying the wrong thing in that conversation could be very bad for the goon or even the company.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
Been with my company for 3 and a half years (though I have almost 8 years seniority). Im on my 3rd different position though; I would have left a year or two ago if I had not been able to move up.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Sefal posted:

How long does it usually take before moving up?

IMOa year is a good rule of thumb, but there are a lot of factors that can change that. The company's culture, whether you have the knowledge or skill for your new role, etc.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Sirotan posted:

Counterpoint, with limited applicability: my org has 2 company cars available for use. One has a windshield with a crack about 3' long, extending into view of the driver, and the other went into a ditch last winter and now desperately needs a front end alignment-you have to constantly fight the wheel to drive straight. I have to drive around the state now and then, but refuse to use the company cars until they are repaired. When I asked the person responsible about replacing the windshield on car #1 I was told it was "probably going to cost a couple hundred bucks, which is too expensive." Who the gently caress knows if they even bother getting routine maintenance done, oil changes cost money too!

So yeah, I've already got a rental car lined up for a work trip next month.

Uh, a cracked windshield isn't even street legal most places.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Nearly all jobs involve a document signed by both parties agreeing to things like pay. One side can't arbitrarily change that.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

jaegerx posted:

You forgot one. Always tell them a crucial feature is coming in the next iteration. For now they have to use a lovely work around that was hacked together overnight.

The next iteration is never coming though.

Our entire ticketing system was replaced after 'testing' it with sales and marketing for a few months. Not surprisingly, it's missing a ton of functionality that is critical for the teams that actually work tickets. The 'integration' with our monitoring systems is actually worse than if they didn't talk to each other at all, and basic requests are put off as 'feature upgrades' that we're told will take upwards of six months to implement.

Our ticket count basically quintupled overnight, and I spend most of my shift closing duplicates instead of, y'know, actually fixing servers. We had one VM that we don't monitor, but we get alerts for the errors on the Hyper-V hosts when it's not running. 5 Host cluster, two alerts per host for the same VM, every 12 hours. Customer isn't responding to our requests to fix the VM or delete it from Hyper-V. We can't suppress these alerts without removing all 5 hosts entirely from monitoring, and even though we've handed this off because of the lack of response, the new tickets appear in our queues, and there's no way to have them generate in a different queue. Multiply poo poo like this by >1,000 customers.

e: It was rolled out in a rush because our license for our previous system was expiring, and upper management did not want to renew the license for another year. The migration also lost critical pieces of information about things we are responsible for, so we're still using the old system in 'read only' status, and have to flip back and forth a lot. We can't just use the old system though, because it's not being updated, so the information is getting more out of date every day. We can only use it as a reference for info missing from the new system.

Corsair Pool Boy fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jul 6, 2017

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

CLAM DOWN posted:

This is true for so many useless products like anything from Symantec or McAfee

Or Trend. We sell it and install it on almost everything.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

big money big clit posted:

Trend has some good products, like the hypervisor based deep security product works well.

Just WFBSS

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Proteus Jones posted:

Meltdowns are always welcome in email I'm CC'd in.

The only time I've seen one go on for more two messages is when someone sent an email sent an email to group that apparently had the entire company as a member. I got my bonus entertainment in that. First you get the usual bounces around to several thousand addresses, and the inevitable replies asking everyone to not reply-all, and the comedians decided to reply to that with a "I agree". Eventually a VP loses his god damned mind and starts threatening everyone who has or will replied to the chain with disciplinary action up to and including termination. By the time he got to that stage, It was unclear if by "termination" meant end their employment or their lives.

That's about when the messaging team killed the email and then sent out a reminder to everyone (BCC'd this time) to use BCC and double check distribution lists/group membership when sending group emails.

About 2 months after that an email was sent out (again BCC'd) thanking VP for his service and that was leaving to pursue other opportunities. I'm sure that last part is coincidence.

I still have the entire chain (from like 3 years ago) in it's own special folder in an archive. But it would be such a pain in the rear end to remove all identifying information to share with the world I'll probably end up getting rid of that masterpiece. As is, I can only pull it out to obsess over it like I'm Charles Foster Kane.

Something like this happened when I was at Geek Squad. Some idiot in the corporate office sent out a Squad-wide notification email, but addressed it to the DL for every single store. The 'please stop replying' emails crashed Best Buy's email system - twice. It lead to a higher-up replying-all to threaten termination for anyone else that replied-all. After that, for the most part it was used by disgruntled people as a way to air all their problems with the company on their last day, it was great.

I too saved that chain, just in case i ever ended up needing to use it. I wound up doing what was technically an internal transfer at the time, so I didn't get to contribute :(.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

ChubbyThePhat posted:

While I absolutely believe network guys like that exist, I am yet to run into them. I generally have that exact experience with Windows admins though.

Oh man, we have two groups here that act like that - internal ops and the admins of the hosted Exchange circus and freak show. Like, the ops guys will take down one of our (supposedly redundant) core switches to do something, and then flat out deny that the natted customer stuff that went down in our monitoring within seconds of the switch and then came back up seconds after the switch did had anything to do with their work. Even when you show them timestamps and that the equipment was not down on the customer's end, only through our monitoring. It's happened THREE TIMES now, and they won't even entertain the idea much less discuss that maybe these switches aren't quite as redundant as they think they are, or that maybe something needs to be tweaked a bit. The NOC's workaround: Suspend all monitoring for that customer when work is being done, and manually monitor it through the customer's network. As in, paying a guy to sit and watch their Solarwinds through a terminal server on one of his monitors. Because if we don't, the customer get flooded with dozens of emails from false alerts (that the customer insists upon and will not allow us to turn off), and then they get mad at us and their account manager.

Corsair Pool Boy fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Aug 25, 2017

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Sefal posted:

The last place I left, was super supportive and wished me the best. The place before that though. Oh man. They hadn't paid me for 6+ months and I told the ceo that I was quitting because i hadn't been paid. He then went completely ballistic. Called me a money wolf. that I only care about money. that he was going to give me 2% of the company shares. But now he wasn't going to do that. That I was throwing away a once in a lifetime chance. that people like me are terrible and i finally revealed my true colors.
I was so glad I left that company. It took me half an year to get them to finally give me the salary that they owed me for all the unpaid labor.

Never again.

I get that poo poo happens. If my company misses a paycheck, I'll give them a week to rectify it, *maybe* two if they've proven to be trustworthy in the past, but after that, I'm out.

How the gently caress did you let that go on for six months?!

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Thanks Ants posted:

Lmao how does everything you do rely on one core switch to be configured right

This was my first thought. We have two, and the last round of upgrades happened one at a time, a couple weeks apart, just to make sure the new one was good before touching the other one.

Keep us posted! We all want to know the fallout over the next few weeks!

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Tab8715 posted:

How does that really make a difference aside from making it easier? Anyone with admin rights could simply copy their OST and read chat logs, no?

Sounds like this guy didn't want to work that hard. When you are the only person in the org. that knows how stuff like this works, you're probably more likely to take the quick and easy route.

A smarter person would have cleaned it up before they left.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Kashuno posted:

Teams is good.

I can't stand it. Switching back and forth between chats is incredibly slow, and having multiple threaded conversations is driving me up the wall. So much scrolling.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

The Fool posted:

I have literally none of these problems, and we use Skype all of the time. Are you on prem, or 365?

Also, Teams threaded chat is the worst thing about teams. Otherwise, it's.. fine. Not great, just fine.

Ive had very few problems with SFB, mainly having trouble clearing notifications of missed messages, I couldn't figure out how to get group chat notifications, and it seems to make my laptop to take FOREVER to boot. But Teams can take upwards of 2 seconds to switch between chats, and I sometimes think about doing violence to whoever came up with threaded chats.

FWIW, as far as I know both our Teams and SFB instances are hosted by MS, though I won't be 100% sure until the first outage.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Nitramster posted:

Hello Thread, let me introduce myself: My name is Nitramster and I work at Geek Squad (get your punches in now, please)

Okay a little background because I'd like some advice:
I'm 32 now and basically chose a technical skill I ended up not being happy with so I'm in a bit of a 1/3rd life crisis I suppose. I started going back to community college off and on the last few years but I'm not really sure I'm ever going to get a 4 year degree. I took a job at geek squad about 18 months ago (if you're unsure of what positions they have in-store, there's basically the guy customers talk to and the guy behind the curtain doing the "work" on the computer, and various levels of management depending on the stores size) I got hired as the front end guy because I have sales experience but about 8 months ago I moved to the back end because it pays more and I'm qualified *enough*. I basically run an automated system they use that does a lot of stuff I'm sure a real IT person knows that fixes problems with windows and runs malware scans, then if the problem still exists I do some hands on stuff. If all else fails I reset the computer.

As you can tell, like a "casual play along guitarist", I sorta know whats going on but I don't know how or why. I'm mildly interested in learning what I don't know, and for a listless person like myself I'm taking that as my queue to think about a career path in IT.

I have a few questions if you guys don't mind sharing your experiences and knowledge.

1. Exactly how upward is this career? Maybe I lack foresight but it seems like you basically fix poo poo and or build poo poo and then after a decade or so you start managing the people that do that and then...?

2. What are realistic wages/salaries to expect along the way?

3. The certification megathread first post has already answered the learning part for me, but what are the paths you goons went down?

4. How long should I hold the barrel of the gun in my mouth at GeekSquad? Should I wait till I get an A+ cert? (I flipped through the book, judging by how high I felt an eyebrow rise on my face it'll take me a while)

5. Anything else I should think about?

You're roughly where I was - I started in Geek Squad in my late 20s, was there for almost 5 years - moved up to 'DCI' for about 6 months before I got a real IT job.

First thing: You do not want to be a Geek Squad supervisor, trust me. It's way too much work for one person, highly stressful, and grossly underpaid for what is expected out of you. There's also not much upwards mobility within Best Buy from there unless you are good at and want to learn more on the sales side. The most valuable thing you get out of Geek Squad is learning how to deal with users, particularly the stupid/stubborn/difficult ones. It sounds like you've already got a handle on this, so you aren't going to learn much more there. There's not enough time or resources available in the store to get actually useful tech skills beyond the basics of how to switch out hardware or repair very basic Windows problems - everything else gets shipped out, connected to AJU, or flattened/reimaged.

My store's Mobile manager (who was also in GS for a while before that) got a job at the MSP in the office next to our store, and convinced me to apply. Within a month, I had FINALLY gotten out of retail, and was making about $10k more a year as a tier 1 helpdesk drone. Since then, I moved up to Tier 2, and then over to the NOC; I really hate myself for waiting so long to find something outside of retail. There's no reason to feel like you need to get certs before leaving - Helpdesk is an entry-level job almost everywhere, if you interview well and show you know how to find answers to stuff, you should be good to go. I still don't have any certs (note: YMMV here, but there's no reason to wait before papering the town with resumes). Having some time in Geek Squad can be helpful with entry level positions - it doesn't mean much on the technical side, but a lot of people have trouble handling users, you can use a few examples of that to show your interpersonal and de-escalation skills.

I do agree with you that as far as retailers go, Best Buy isn't that bad - the health insurance and other benefits were decent, and they don't gently caress around trying to get free work out of their hourly people. But nearly anywhere else will be less stressful, provide more opportunities to learn, and pay more. The sooner you start looking, the sooner you can really launch your career.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Remember when this guy was out picking up trash as part of his job responsibilities?

If you're a lurker and you've got weird ideas about getting into IT, this is how quickly you can go from being poo poo on, to being "The poo poo" in IT, if you work to stay ahead of the curve.

Plot twist: the automation leaves him with enough free time that they still make him pick up trash.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Nitramster posted:

Amen.

I'll be updating my resume today. If anyone in the L.A. area wants to network, send me an email: Nitramster at gmail. I'd be happy to buy any of you a beer.

Are you a DCI? If so, for how long? I lasted about 3 months before looking to get out, and another 4 or 5 before I was gone. I had kind of enjoyed Geek Squad up to that point, but being a supervisor was a total shitshow.

Corsair Pool Boy fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Oct 2, 2017

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
Anyone here familiar with using LogicMonitor for network equipment monitoring?

We added it about ~6 months ago for companies that didn't want to VPN/re-IP to get onto our hosted Solarwinds setup. I've never seen a more incomprehensible, non-intuitive GUI than this thing - the descriptions are obtuse and contain almost no information. It doesn't look like much (if any) effort was made to tune alerts on our end before deployment, so 99% of what we do end up working on ends with us just turning the alert off.

If there's a good resource on how to navigate/manage/administrate LM out there, I'd very much appreciate it.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

If I could go back to early Gmail and register first.last or anything close to it, I would. I gotta think of something better than "not just fruit stripe 143, but THE fruit stripe", because this just isn't working at all.

Pardon my making this all about me, back to better topics.

I can't for the life of me figure out why first.last is not available to me. There are less than 20 people in the world with my last name, none sharing my first. I really wish I'd registered it back during the beta. I'm stuck with first.m.last, and I hate it.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Wow that's an obscure one, is it a last name you're comfortable posting on this forum? I'd love to know what name could be so rare.

My name's not John Smith but it's not rare, but when I type it in and it's like "that's not available, how about we tack 744 on the end of it", just, come on.

I'd rather not post my name, but we're only been able to trace it back to when ancestors migrated into the US in the 1800s out of somewhere in central Europe, almost certainly from what was then a part of the A-H Empire. We think it probably got mangled at immigration to what it is now. The only people with the name these days are my parents and brother, and a small offshoot of distant cousins I've never met, none of which have my first name.

e: It's frustrating, because I really want to know, given how much I enjoy history. My mom's father's side is Irish as gently caress and we're pretty sure it can be traced pretty far back, but we've never tried because Mom was not exactly close or friendly to most of that side of the family, and knowing what town in Ireland my ancestors lived in 400 years ago isn't nearly as interesting to me. /derail

Corsair Pool Boy fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Oct 4, 2017

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Nitramster posted:

Sorry for the late reply, no I'm just a part time ARA. Actually I just interviewed and got a full time ARA position to try to get more money. I still plan on applying for something else but in the meantime I might as well maximize what lovely job I have.

It would be an alright gig if I didn't have to constantly deal with retail issues and lovely coworkers not pulling their weight.

ARA seemed like a pretty sweet gig to me as long as you had a DCI theat understood the role. I never got to experience it though, I was a Sr. years before the reorg before they differentiated between front and back :(

Do they still have you guys doing loving phone glass replacements while requiring you to ship out desktops with a bad stick of RAM under warranty or GSP?

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Colonial Air Force posted:

I bet all the executives got raises and/or bonuses though.

Well yeah, they came up with the plan! You have to give exorbitant bonuses to retain talent like that.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Vulture Culture posted:

reminder lists of stuff plastered around his office, all things for him to stare at on a phone call like "Beware the Counter-Offer!"

looooool

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Tab8715 posted:

Agreed but eventually this kind of work will start to dry up but I’ll say I’m surprised there’s still so many O365 Migration opportunities. You’d have thought everyone would have dumped Exchange On-Premise.

After Windows 10 with things like Azure AD and Intune replacing AD there’s going to be less intensive mergers and divestures. On the other hand there will be plenty of work consolidated/splitting O365 and Azure Tenants.

You'd be surprised how many companies prefer to have their email go down every time Comcast or their power comany hiccups.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

GreenNight posted:

We just put in an Exchange 2016 DAG. Our fiber carrier and power hasn't been down in years, unless we take it down. We're like 2 blocks from the power company, which helps.

What type of internet do you have? Is there a failover? Some of our customers lose internet almost every week, though it's usually offices in the boondocks. Idaho, Montana, the middle of Kansas, etc.

We also have customers in the Houston and Austin areas where I swear, they lose power every time water falls out of the sky. Yes, before Harvey.

Corsair Pool Boy fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Oct 17, 2017

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

GreenNight posted:

500 meg fiber line. We don't have a backup ISP. Management said the costs outweigh the benefits. See if that continues the next time we have an outage, although it's been a long time.

I think I've only seen fiber go down during power outages and fiber cuts, and even then it's not the ISP's fault. And weird routing problems occasionally when they run the whole connection through a VPN, or a firewall shits the bed, etc.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Vulture Culture posted:

If you're going from no benefits to full benefits, you can expect zero raise.

Even in a country without a need for employer-sponsored healthcare? I'd expect atleast a few K.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Sefal posted:

Company covers my healthcare monthly payment. I actually pay less, so they more than cover my healthcare.

Downside is. I may not get my contract extended. Game flopped hard and company is closing down studios.
I told my boss that my contract is expiring in 2 months and that I would like an update on it. He said I want to keep you but final decision is up to the CEO in US.
He's having a talk with him next week.
I guess i'll know next week if i still have a job in 2018

Were I you, if you want to stay, I'd let him know that, but that you've started looking around. If the boss doesn't suck, that will put aome pressure on him to get you an answer sooner, and may actually get the boss to push a bit more to keep you.

Obviously that is highly dependent on factors I don't know about, but in a vaccum...