Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

That and remote hands. If all you have is Helpdesk experience it may not be a bad thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Irritated Goat posted:

Just to poke in,

I'm looking around to find a good solution for keeping account information for server work. I'm in an MSP so we'll have things for multiple clients and will have multiple people on this so I'm OK with some backend security if I can push it as necessary and better than keeping a hidden page somewhere on the MSP network. I looked at Keepass but not sure if we can do much without buying a Yubikey or something of that fashion. I just wanted to see what others are using to do this.

Looks like the product was just bought by Kaseya, but ScorpionSoft AuthAnvil has a security suite that includes password management and dual-factor authentication. May be worth looking into.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

I don't, so I will look into that. Thanks!

I have to ask, why do you want to do this over a lovely WAN link? Is there an fat application on both sides that needs access to the data? You are almost certainly better served by just using RDS / XenApp.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

bull3964 posted:

One reason I could see is a transactionally consistent off-site backup of the database. I know I'm planning on adding availability groups to my current SQL cluster for that reason. Local SQL cluster for redundancy, with a standalone remote database as part of the group. We take transaction log backups every 10 minutes, but even a loss of 10 minutes worth of transactions would be a major shitstorm with our clients.

But in that case, wouldn't you choose a target site with a decent WAN connection? Unless your secondary site need to be in Afghanistan or something?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

22 Eargesplitten posted:

CentOS it is, then.

First day at my new job. My supervisor hopes some of this will change, but we don't even get access to remote in to user PCs. So anyone who needs a new printer added needs to be escalated to level 2.

That is hilarious. I would be less worried about which flavor of Linux I was using and more worried about which flavor of liquor I was drinking.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

So, what can I study in my downtime that's relevant to being a helpdesk operator that can't even remote in?

Your answer is nothing. There is nothing you can study in your downtime that is relevant to being a helpdesk operator that can't remote in. Study whatever interests you in the slightest and if your company has documentation, focus on setting yourself apart from the pack by being a documentation guru.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

If you have more than 8 VMs (eh.. that link posted above says 5, maybe pricing has changed since I did the math) per host and can vMotion between hosts Datacenter makes sense from a financial standpoint, because you need to license for the maximum amount of VMs each host could theoretically be hosting for a period of less than 90 days. I love how no one follows this rule and I get to explain to every new client that no, the 1 Standard license their previous consultants sold them for their project is not enough. And then you get to explain the convoluted licensing to the people signing the checks. So much fun.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/3/D/4/3D42BDC2-6725-4B29-B75A-A5B04179958B/MicrosoftServerVirtualization_LicenseMobility_VLBrief.pdf

---

For Volume Licensing (VL) Windows Server licenses, you can reassign the software licenses from one server to
another, but not more often than every 90 days. When reassigning a license, keep in mind that when you move the
license from one server to another that your original server will still need to be appropriately licensed to cover all of
the virtual OSEs that you may run on that server at any given time moving forward. There are some exceptions to the
license reassignment rule outlined in the Product Use Rights document. For example, you may reassign the license
earlier than 90 days if you must retire the licensed server due to permanent hardware failure. Similar rules apply to
Windows Server 2012 R2 External Connector (EC) licenses. However, for Windows Server 2012 R2 ECs, under certain
conditions, there is a rule for license mobility within a server farm. For the server farm definition and more information
about license mobility rules, including a comprehensive list of eligible server and EC licenses, read the Licensing
Microsoft Server Products in Virtual Environments Volume Licensing brief.

---

For Windows Server software, except in a few cases (see the Assignment of Licenses section), licenses may only be
reassigned to new hardware after 90 days. This, however, does not restrict the dynamic movement of virtual OSEs
between licensed servers. As long as the servers are licensed and each server individually does not run more instances
than the number for which it is licensed, you are free to use VMware vMotion and System Center Virtual Machine
Manager to move virtualized instances between licensed servers at will.

---

Reassignment of license:
For Windows Server software: You may reassign a software license, but not on a short-term basis (in other words, not
within 90 days of the last assignment). You may reassign a software license sooner if you retire the licensed server due
to permanent hardware failure. If you reassign a license, the server to which you reassign the license becomes the
new licensed server for that license.

---

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, for the host. That doesn't mean your guests need to run the same edition.

Back in 2008/2008 R2 there was a certain logic to running Datacenter as a guest because Datacenter had hot-add support and Standard did not. So, if your VM ran short on CPU or RAM, you could increase it without having to bounce the box.

Now though, there's no advantage to running Datacenter over Standard in the guest. It doesn't hurt anything either since they are technically identical. The only reason why I would worry about someone insisting on running Datacenter as a guest for 2012 R2 is that it's a sign they don't understand the product they are running.

We have datacenter licenses for our 6 hosts to cover the unlimited virtualization rights, but we only run Standard in guest. There's not much point in running anything else.

If you are licensed for Datacenter on the host why would you run Standard in a VM...? So you are telling me you buy Datacenter licenses, install something other than Hyper-V, and then install Standard? That makes no sense.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

adorai posted:

Until the day you have to move your existing VM to another host, that is not licensed for datacenter, and you are hosed into doing so.

I always install standard or core unless I have a compelling reason to install something else.

Why would you have some hosts licensed with Standard and some licensed with Datacenter? So you have something else to worry about at night?

I mean, I get it, it doesn't matter what version of the OS the guests are running. But then why not just install the version you are licensed for so there is no confusion?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Colonial Air Force posted:

Well, we've selected a backup/disaster-recovery solution, and now I have to tell the other vendors to go away.

I sort of feel bad, because I know one of them worked really hard to try and get me a great deal, but in the end, it wasn't the right solution (or the cheapest). I realize they're just vendors, and it's not like I'm breaking up with a girlfriend or whatever, but it sure feels like it.

Once you've dealt with enough lovely vendors you stop caring about letting anyone down. Don't worry, they get told no on a regular basis. It's basically their job to take it on the chin and keep on trucking.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Government Helpdesk sounds terrible, but actually one of the guys who works for me started off with that and I think he was exposed to a broad scope of technologies. What I look for in an entry-level Helpdesk employee is someone who can follow directions, pay attention to detail, make good ticket notes, and most importantly, have good customer service skills. You can teach people the technology side of the job. It is a lot harder to teach them good customer service habits.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Eonwe posted:

In one week I'm starting a help desk / network support job and every day I get more and more nervous

Seems like a good job with nice people and pay, but I can't shake the feeling that I'm not going to cut it

Read the last page worth of posts and you'll do just fine.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

It's a huge red flag and you should be looking for a new job ASAP. If your next potential employer asks why you left a job so quickly, just tell them they had you mowing the lawn. I'm sure they'll understand.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Moey posted:

Just flat out refuse. It isn't in your job description. Dear lord.

That goes without saying. But he should find a new job either way. They clearly don't "get it."

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yes my work is literally more valuable than others, which is why they pay me more. Guess what? Some people's work is more valuable than mine. They even pay them more!

What a dumb argument.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I am at my second job where 60-80 hour weeks were needed to get the network into shape. It's just too stressful working in a dysfunctional environment.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

psydude posted:

Yes, but it sounds like the goal here is to no longer have to work that much once the network is back in working order.

I'm pretty fortunate to have the most flexible boss probably in history. His philosophy is that I can work whenever and wherever I want so long as I'm available for client and project meetings, can be reached during normal business hours, and get everything done on time.

Yeah, there is a big difference when there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I think that was one of the big reasons I didn't like MSP / consulting work. There's always enough work for extra hours, but its wrapping up that job and then on to the next. No chance to see the fruit of your labors.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Good lord. I almost can't believe all of that is true. Talk about Stockholm Syndrom. Echoing everyone else, don't give notice just get out and find a new job. With the experience that you've mentioned you'll have no problem finding another job.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Methanar posted:

I went from literally hand picking garbage to full domain admin over the weekend.
I already hate Lotus notes 7.

Lotus Notes 7?

You're joking, right?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

jaegerx posted:

His name is evol. And despite being a Linux tech I hate him too.

Oh god, this loving killed me. As soon as I was reading Fruit's post I was like "kind of like any post I read by evol." Glad I'm not the only one.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

evol262 posted:

I'm a Linux developer .

But sorry not sorry that people don't like what I have to say. Also somewhat amused that the people thinking of me are ones I've argued with.

Well, when someone mentioned people who make posts that are annoying to read (paraphrasing, phone posting) and 3 people reference you by, and just you, by name within an hour, maybe your posts are annoying to read? Very informative and have pushed me to learn more about non-ESXi/XenServer/Hyper-V virtualization, but still very annoying to read. Almost like you're a Linux developer! :v:

Honest Thief posted:

So is everyone on even remotely IT related jobs just miserable? Is there such a thing as a 'it gets better' PSA?

I love my current job. Job before this was 2 years at an MSP which I hated due to a combination of not liking MSP work and not liking the owner of the company. Before that was 5 years of internal IT that I loved for 4 years or so. Before that was IT odds and ends which I also loved.

As long as you can get over the fact that it is a customer service job first and a technical job second, and understand that there will always be dumb users and dumb management, you'll do just fine. If you can't get over that hurdle you'll have a lot less satisfaction.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 15:10 on May 13, 2015

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Tab8715 posted:

I've found evol's posts great and I don't see what all the fuss is about.

I don't think anyone was making a fuss, just bullshitting.

Zaepho posted:

At the mention of Certs. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good study guide/self paced course for 70-411 Administering Windows Server 2012? The drat GPO crap and NPS are killing me. I haven't seriously worked with NPS (Ever) and GPO in years. I'm decent enough in the rest to get through the exam if I could get those 2 areas up to an acceptable level. I failed the exam once already with a low 600s score and would really rather not go back in and throw more cash on that fire.

To be thorough my goal is MCSE: Private Cloud. I work exclusively on the private cloud part of things on a daily basis.

I'm not a cert kind of guy but I can recommend against Trainsignal/PluralSight.

We have CBT Nuggets at work now but I haven't tried it. I think they put some of their videos on YouTube. I know that there were collections of TechNet articles for each test if you look on Microsofts forums / wiki. I think those with good practice tests are probably your best bet.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

22 Eargesplitten posted:

So is my dick, but you don't hear me complaining.

Seriously, though. I have been meaning to pick up The Myth of Sisyphus for a while. Evol recommended it around the same time I was trying to get out of my lovely last job. I think sometime this week I'm just going to go to the local book store and special order that and The Rebel. Go on a Camus kick.

Is there a virtual solution for studying for the CCENT like there is for the MCSA? I want to try to get as much done as I can in the weeks between these next two semesters, since a lot of junior admin positions seem to want a mix of system and network knowledge.

I would check out http://www.gns3.com/ or http://virl.cisco.com/about-virl-2/

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I wouldn't even use a dumb 5-port switch. Get an ethernet run to your real switches. Dealing with dying consumer dumb switches is a pain in the rear end.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

So, is this what being on a Linus mailing list is like?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I'm going to start documenting my time in 15 minute increments. I want to confront myself with the massive amount of time I waste on bullshit every day. Could be good for me.

Spoken like someone who has never had to track their time. Ugh.

I would rather just jot down interruptions. I mean, ticketing systems are nice and all but you can't open a ticket for every like 30 second question from a coworker.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

insidius posted:

I quit, its already turned bad really quickly.

Ill update when I can.

What do the Aussies say? Good on ya? Good on ya!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

CloFan posted:

Hardware purchase, staff expansion (I was told it is feasible to hire more IT staff in the future), literally every penny spent must be approved by the court.

This sounds awful. Fighting for every penny sucks. I can't imagine how much more it sucks to fight for it with a public committee.

Especially if you're going to be dealing with that level of stuff and fixing printers.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Wrong thread.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

If you have SIP and you can tell the difference then something is wrong.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Please just ignore Zero VGS he posts his dumb shoestring budgets poo poo in every thread and it's exhausting to read in a "goon in well" sort of way. Apparently the company he works for is a competitor to VMware or something but can't actually give him any sort of budget or let them use their hypervisor. Actually, maybe it's Citrix. That would explain a lot.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The only reason that chatting about salary with co-workers causes problems is because it's frowned upon. If everyone was 100% open it wouldn't be a problem and everyone would be making more.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Let the other side of the argument win and then rub it in their faces non-stop when any situation comes up where your suggestion was better.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Tab8715 posted:

I was of the assumption this would occur the further I go into my career.

Lets say you can't come to a consensus and someone says they'll test it themselves.

Is this wrong or remotely offensive?

Obviously the tone and context can make anything sound combative, but I would say no, "I'll test it myself" is not combative in a vacuum.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

I'm newly-placed in the same position and I really don't want to stay in it long because I can see myself getting stuck, too. But my plan is to bail on the management path (at least for a while) and get back into technical work.

Will be interested to see what advice people give you though.

I think it really depends on the size of your company. I was a Helpdesk manager for about 5 years but I was also the lead engineer at the same time. I managed or implemented every project while keeping an eye on the Helpdesk side of things. I never felt that I was at a dead-end career wise.

Additionally, I have worked at a larger company where all the Helpdesk manager did was manage his guys, who were strictly tickets. The problem I see with that type of setup is that the project side of the house constantly tosses grenades over the cubicles to the Helpdesk guys. If you can be more involved with the project team, protect your guys, and make useful contributions to project, I don't see it as a dead end in your career.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Methanar posted:

Another blog post because I'm lonely and can't talk to any of my friends about this.

So I tried to do something productive infrastructure wise. Our garbage network randomly has a 172.16.25.x subnet that is handled by a cisco 3750 (that's passworded like every other device in this place with the password unknown) that contains...I also don't know. I know for sure it contained our internal lotus notes server and it's console. Preliminary solarwinds scans found a bunch of garbage in it without host names and nobody knows anything about them. I wanted to change our mail servers from this strange subnet into our primary 129.129.30.x network because our new backup system (remember we didn't have one) couldn't reach the mail servers.

I wrote up what in my opinion was actually a really solid plan. I called all the shots on what to do and was explaining the situation out loud to myself and my boss, who was my assistant for this.

Turns out our DNS server had a hardcoded record that referred LN1 (internal mail server) to it's 172. IP.

My plan was to change the network adapters to regular 129.129.30.x addresses, create dhcp reservations for them so phones don't cause problem the way they have with our other servers :downs:. Update the hardcoded DNS A record that referred LN1 to 172.16.25.6
Update the hardcoded DNS A record that referred LN1 to 172.16.25.6
Around this point I determined that it was this random switch doing the routing. I plugged all the servers into another switch that I knew to not be routing. At some point in the future when we can schedule more downtime I will password recover the 3750.
At this point after a bunch of rebooting and changing other hardcoded values in the LN1 server and it's console I got it to work internally!

Then for LN2 (the external mail server) I tried to go through a similar process (completely blind) but I realized something awful, it had two NICs, one that was WAN and one that was internal. I just assumed that the internal nic would be on the same 172.16.25.x network. It was on 172.16.26.x (??????) and connected off into an asa and a firewall in series that I never even considered. When I saw this I immediately declared the project a failure and reverted all changes and eventually had it fully functional again.

I ended up being there for 2 hours past my usual quitting time because of all the unexpected complications and then the ultimate reverting of everything. Apparently summer students don't get overtime. So instead I get to settle for going home tomorrow 2 hours early. I have a headache from it all

:(

Document and diagram. Don't do anything until you have everything documented and diagrammed. Otherwise you're just going to be bashing your head into the wall.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

If they "rent" the Juniper firewalls from the ISP and they are the point of demarc, that would mean the ISPs are responsible for them. You can't just swap them out if you want the ISP to keep supporting the firewall side of things.

Also, what the gently caress is a Peplink router? I'm not a big-time networking dude but I have never heard of them before.
[Edit: Those look like gigantic pieces of poo poo and I'd tell you to get lost too.]

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

captkirk posted:

What does that tool gain you that a flat head screw driver doesn't.

It's like one of those tools to slide on your shoe. Now imagine doing that with a screwdriver. That's the difference.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Also if you ever buy cage nuts on their own they usually come with at least one of the tools. I'm surprised so many people in the thread haven't used them. Guess that's virtualization for you. :v:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Methanar posted:

Theres no backups of the email

Stop what you are doing and do absolutely nothing until this is fixed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Will Rice posted:

A friend of mine just lost his job as a sharepoint architect (may not be the exact title, not my field). Any suggestions on where to look for openings in the Denver area that i can pass on to him? I think he has about ~6 years of experience.

Post in the Denver thread in the LAN sub forums.