Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Someone who is an admin/architect of that type of setup is universally terrible at their job. Including management.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Just use it as a good example of what not to do. For the next 40 days only do things that you find educational or entertaining. Ignore your boss, collect your $5,000 and your resume bullet point and move on.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

No one should commute 3 hours to work. Read this - http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2011/10/06/the-true-cost-of-commuting/

To the dude setting up a ticketing system, you could do a lot worse than Spiceworks in a small shop. I agree with the others that JIRA may be overkill, although I love Confluence for internal documentation.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

siggy2021 posted:

DHCP server is on the DC at HQ. We theorized that the old router had something in it's config to be a helper. We rooted through the old config files and found them. Unfortunately we have no control over our previous or current routers. The configs were supposed to be copied over, the new isp had the old ones. Someone hosed up.

Every time I've done a managed router cutover the ISP has forgotten the DHCP helpers, even when they were supposed to be copying the config from the previous router. It got to the point where we had to force them to give us our own admin credentials so we could check before cutovers.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Not sure if it meets your requirements, but ShareFile does have the option to use your own storage. Everything else exists in the cloud, but the data itself can be kept on site.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

spud posted:

Would still try and remove you from the equation ASAP.

What are you on about?

Getting rid of system admins and replacing them with...?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Colonial Air Force posted:

DevOps. Or network engineers who will slum it.

This is a hilarious post. Thank you.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yes, you see, but Linux goes to 256.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

go3 posted:

Ive almost completely banished every personal printer and lovely OfficeJet all in one from my clients and replaced them all with Xerox's serviced by my local Xerox distributor. My Xerox rep is also smoking hot. I won the printer game.

Yeah, until you realize Xerox is literally the devil.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Spectracide posted:

I change my password 10 times after it expires so I can keep using the same one :smug:

That's why god invented minimum password ages.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

flosofl posted:

gently caress lovely 3rd party vendors.

Sorry. Long day.

Worst part of IT right here. I know it was always bad but I feel like it got a lot worse after the economy downturn. Fire all your decent support and engineers and just waste the customers time until they go away. Unfortunately, all these years later its still crap.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Rhymenoserous posted:

Yesssssss.

:derp: "I wanted to give everyone local admin and this seemed the easiest way"

I have run into that exact thing more than once. Doing consulting / MSP type work really makes you hate your fellow IT workers.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Good job! There will inevitably be something broken tomorrow. Just keep calm and work through it and you'll be fine!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Started my new job Monday, still going through company training and haven't seen my desk yet, but an interesting tidbit came up in the email security section. The cloud spam filtering service quarantines nothing and just appends *Spam* to the subject.

This seems insane to me because quarantines aren't that hard to check. Is this a common practice? Is this why you guys constantly battle ransomware?

Is this what my future holds?

I think I inherited a network with your service and just finished ripping it our and switching to Mimecast...? Life has been much nicer since.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'm with you. I'm all for showing Jr. guys how to do things but some of the "went to school for IT" guys I run into now a days just want everything fed to them. At some point you have to figure something out on your own. There won't always be someone there with knowledge to bail you out.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Methanar posted:

Well I just finished my last day at my first garbageman-with-domain-admin job. So I won't be spamming the thread as much as I have been for a while.

There was some evaluation sheets that were made up for me. Good to know I'm a solid 2/5 on all rubrics. Some of the comments were along the lines of "short attention span". I feel extremely stubbed and cheated because I can't get a good reference out of this job.

You'll notice this job description does not mention doing any of the following:

Migration and upgrade of Lotus Notes from 7.0, on machines so old they have 500mb of ram and the plastic has yellowed (probably from all the smoking in the server room), to 8.5.3.

Setup of an ESXi cluster and vCenter.

Migration and upgrade of the DC and file server to said ESXi cluster.

Setting up the first backups since they broke in like, February.

Determining why mill measurement equipment didn't work properly for 6 months (your devices weren't responding to gratuitous arp and were sharing IPs with cell phones, also no DHCP reservations)

Learning how to use firewalls on the fly and migrate a horrifically configured 5505 to a 5506 and handling all the associated nat rule changes, vlans, etc problems that came with it. I definitely couldn't have done this without a ton of help from the Cisco thread. Thanks.

Dealing with the two times a rogue dhcp server flattened the network.

Learned how to use powershell to automate a few features of user creation as well as part of the file server migration.

Setting up WSUS so our 110 machines aren't destroying the 4mbps wan connection every time there is an update.

Setting up WDS with a gold image so an hour isn't spent removing bloatware and installing basic things like SAP, office 2007, lotus notes client every time a new employee starts.

Picking garbage in the freezing rain for 5 days.

Where do you live and when will you be done with school? I may be hiring soon and just going by the thread I'd love to have you. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Methanar posted:

Done school at the end of April 2016.

I don't actually believe you that they have computers there.

But yeah, that's too far away in distance and in time. Your resume is going to look great and you'll do fine in a technical interview. References don't mean much these days. A lot of places don't even ask for them anymore.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah, there is a balance between keeping things clean to make it easier when the poo poo hits the fan or to be more time efficient overall and going completely overboard to satisfy your OCD tendencies. That sounds like the later to me.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'm currently replacing Unitrends with Veeam. Can't wait.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

CloFan posted:

Man I don't know poo poo about DNS, maybe I should learn. And here I am hovering over the button to turn on DNS Scavenging...

Turn it in and fix anything that breaks. It should be on for a healthy network anyways.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

WDS or MDT is more than enough for 40 to 90 people, especially of half are Macs. I wouldn't worry about SCCM unless you are planning to grow a ton very quickly and you have lots of free time now.

It will hold you over until you hire a dedicated IT guy.

Or just go the old school imaging route and do things local. Anything that will boot and take an image with handle Windows or Mac.

Or am I misreading and you are going to grow into the dedicated IT guy? Or do you have other responsibilities and don't want to waste time on IT?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Don't give them your current salary.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I feel like there's some appropriate comparison to users who do not report problems, but I'll leave that to those with more free time.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

4) Redact all salary information.

My wife was just recently asked for her w2 in an interview. This is what she did and she got the job. Not sure how useful a w2 is without any of the payroll info on it, but I assume it was to seem like they were doing their due diligence in confirming employment. Like hell I am handing over a w2 with my salary info on it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

I think a W2 is the same as a T4 in Canada, which you should absolutely never ever give a prospective employer or anyone other than Revenue Canada/whatever you have there. Here, it has info on it like your SIN which you're legally obligated to keep to yourself.

If you're required to submit a loving tax document as a part of salary negotiation, tell them to go gently caress themselves and walk imo

It's a good job at a good place. They're small and misguided. I think they probably just heard about someone else doing it and were like "oh us too!"

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Barracuda Bang! posted:

Best peatyness to cost ratio I've found so far:

Like drinking a loving campfire. That you threw peat moss on.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Inspector_666 posted:

Well yeah, that's the point.

(Lagavulin 16 is better imo, but Laphroaig is cheaper so it evens out.)

I can't stand either. My wife ordered both, one right after the other and I almost died watching her try to finish them. I'm more of a McCallan guy. I do really like Oban as well. Also Cardu is great, if you can find it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Hands up who is having fun with this Mimecast outage in the US?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I have met plenty of CCNA who have no idea what they're talking about. You can definitely brain dump it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Chickenwalker posted:

What's a good freelance consultation/labor rate in NYC? I'm thinking $150/hr, too high?

Doing what? What level of expertise?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Holy poo poo, can't believe they actually did it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

They seem to have done just fine with EqualLogic and SonicWall. Although Wyse has been terrible.

I'm not sure I'd consider EMC capable of being any more terrible. My experiences with VMware support haven't been fantastic either.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

All of my support interactions with EqualLogic and SonicWall have been better than my support interactions with EMC and VMware.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

How long do you let a fellow sys admin hit his head against a problem before you tell him where to look?

If you like him?

If you don't?

It's definitely a balance. If you always help they'll never learn.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

bull3964 posted:

This is work, not a loving lab exercise in college. You get poo poo done. If you can point someone in the right direction without causing your work to slip, you do it.

This isn't a some difficult philosophical question.

The way Fruit Strip words questions is usually pointed and slightly annoying but there is very much a limit to "pointing someone in the right direction." I'm glad you don't agree but maybe you haven't worked in an environment that isn't as cut and dry.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

go3 posted:

If you have time to post on SA about it, you have time to point them in the right direction

But the whole point is that sometimes helping people sometimes robs them of the opportunity to learn ahsgubxudvwkeb

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

skipdogg posted:

Please don't take this the wrong way, but are you anywhere on the spectrum? Have issues with interpersonal relationships? Not playing internet doctor, just want to help.

That's a bit much. It's his first resume and he's probably trying to sound professional.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

flosofl posted:

I found it fairly easy, but I had years of experience in several of the domains they test when I took it. I know my weakness was Legal and Development Methodologies. I got mine in 2003 and have maintained it with CPEs since.

If you think you'd consider yourself a mid-level/intermediate security professional, buy a prep book and some Boson practice exams (may be unnecessary as most prep books give access to practice tests).

If you're just starting you may wish to get some more experience or training. There's nothing stopping you from getting a book o gauge your readiness for the test.

Edit: wait. What? Your comment completely changed. Did you change it, or is this the SA app that messed up?

He changed it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Managing technical debt is the single most important thing you can do in IT and should be considered in any action you take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

go3 posted:

its a dumb phrase hth

What can I say, there's a lot of lovely IT guys out there.