Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I thankfully dont have to deal with printers all that often but my grandparents have a home office printer they wanted to help me with. I was looking online for a manual or video on replacing the part and found this brilliant man:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fA1Wb59Dntc

Never have I seen more enthusiasm for servicing printers.
"Hold on to your seats kids, were taking a deep dive into transfer belts!"

BaseballPCHiker fucked around with this message at 20:14 on May 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Thirding, I'm relatively new to SCCM, obviously you've given me a ton of good tips in the enterprise thread, but I've already worked with and networked with several SCCM consultants. Most of them have seemed to branch out from just SCCM to other similar software like Orchestrator or Service Manager. There is plenty of work in consulting or working for an MSP for stuff like this. Even if you're just part of a larger enterprise team and you handle SCCM customization or setup.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

insidius posted:

HOLY poo poo
Dude just leave. Whats the worse that could happen? Your job is already slowly killing you. What's the worst that could happen if you just stop showing up and quit answering his calls? Is he going to track you down and actually physically choke the life out of you? And so what if he tries to bad mouth you, just use former associates as references. If he's so foaming at the mouth crazy as you say you wouldnt want to use him as a reference anyway.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Actually the more I think about it the better it would be to just peace the gently caress out of there. How awesome would it be if you just waltzed in with a boombox on your shoulder playing "Were not going to take it" then putting on your sunglasses and going all :dukedog:! He'd be going into a rage seizure and you would just strut on out with your box of personal belongings.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

I should probably clarify - I have no issues with the sentiment at all, I just think the time period that they want me 'on the hook' for is a bit long compared to the cost of the courses.

I've been told by HR directors that the whole pay back if you leave early thing is pretty unenforceable unless it's a significant amount of money the company has spent, for instance 4 years of college or something. Short of that in her words it's not worth going to court for and it's %100 not worth the risk of them withholding money from your last paycheck.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Ahdinko posted:

Personally I wouldn't take that court job as everyone I've spoke to doing the one-man-band IT job has hated it, and a dedicated IT guy for 12 members of staff means you'll be busy for your first month or two while you sort a load of poo poo out and make some improvements/changes, then you'll spend 90% of your day on SA. While it is awesome at first, the novelty wears off after a few months and time drags really, really, really slowly. I quit my last job because of this.

This is where I'm at for the most part at my new job. LOTS of downtime. Not in a bad lazy way, it's just I came in to the most well organized, documented environment that I've seen. I've made some slight changes here and there to improve things but nothing time consuming and hard to implement.

I'm using the downtime to study for certs, improve my powershell skills, and setting up labs to play with. I'm also using the time to learn more about SEO and passive income and side businesses. So dont discount down time! I'm sure after about a year I'll be bored senseless but for now it's really nice.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

What I want to track is my own life. I'd put myself against any of you for amount of time wasted. I want to do more - more with my life, more with my career. I started out tonight by googling information about sleep. If I sleep less, I can do more. I quickly remembered that that is not my problem - I sleep fine, it's how I find ways to gently caress around while awake that is the problem. So like I said, I'm actually going to track what I do. Vague categories - worked (ie I ACTUALLY worked, which is probably 6 hours per day), slept, ate, family, etc. Those are important things. What I want to have staring me in the face is what I do, for example, earlier tonight. At 10pm I sat and began waiting for a phone call which would require me to immediately begin working on something. That phone call came in at 12:10am, later than I expected sure, but I spent those 130 minutes just watching youtube videos and loving around. That's not to say loving around doesn't have its place, but whatever amount you consider appropriate, I do more than that, and that's not where I want to be.

I did a time study on my own personal time just to see where it all went. Like you I only actually work a small chunk of time I'm at work. So I try to use that free time productively to study, work on side businesses, etc. The biggest time waste I found studying myself was running errands (grocery shopping, library, etc) and my dog. I typically have 4 hours of free time a day and that drat dog gets two of them!

Anyway things that really helped me were doing things in bulk. Like instead of 3 trips to the grocery store for one bag of groceries I go just on sundays, one trip to the library the same time I'm running errands in that neighborhood. Also realizing that if I have two free hours to do a one hour task my lazy rear end will fill that time browsing the forums and being a bum. So I set a couple of goals for myself each morning. Like I'm studying for the security + right now. So I'll want to complete a chapter by the end of the day. When I get a chunk of 10-20 minutes I'll read that instead of filling the free time with random internet browsing. So long as I at least make a little progress towards a larger goal I wont feel like I've wasted the day. If I get through my list for the day then I don't mind wasting time and relaxing.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I'm I the only one who feels like LinkedIn is just unnecessary and just one more thing you have to keep up to date?

I mean you already have your resume out there on job sites, why have one more that will just get you more spam? I guess I've just never needed it and it seems like a hassle to invest a lot of time into it.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Another thing to check on is the cost of health benefits when switching jobs. I've made the mistake of just comparing coverage's, making sure deductibles and what not are roughly similar. Only to find that my employee contribution went from like $10 a paycheck to $100.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

I just did this same thing! Only I got my way:

- $1200 for a 2012 Retail Boxed Copy license, which I can legally sell on eBay and have the license transfer when I'm done using it / want to upgrade.

- No CALs because I'm running on a workgroup, the only server item is a telecom program I got MS to confirm in writing doesn't need CALs, and our DHCP server is running on router. (If you need cals, NewEgg.com directly sells 5-packs for $149)

- Using KVM / OVirt instead of VMware

- Built the servers from individual used eBay parts, $2000 for two servers with similar specs to what CDW quoted me $30k for.

So effectively, everything I needed for around $3k, I just focus on redundant everything and backups up the rear end.

Here's the weird part I found out. We pay $70k for our PRIs and minutes. But every single call we make is initiated through this company called InsideSales.com, where they allow our sales people to forge a caller ID so we have "local presence" (we look like we're in the area code of the people we cold-call so they are more likely to answer). So InsideSales is charging us, wait for it, $300k a year for essentially the functionality of custom area codes, with no other features we use. Best part is, their cloud-hosted services have failed on us once or twice, ending our calls. So even with the trouble of hooking up our PRIs we're still going over whatever VoIP handoff this other comapany is using anyways and getting buttfucked for it. I'm going to try strong-arming our PBX supplier into seeing if they can provide us this area code hack on the backend or make a bunch of Google Voice accounts or something, we're not getting our money's worth by a long shot.

You are the cheapest stingiest person in SH/SC. I in no way would ever want to work in your environment but I love the tight wad posts.

Cant wait for the day your company decides they need something like a new SAN and you manage to cobble together external usb drives to a usb hub that converts to tape somehow.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Jesus christ why can't you people take this to D&D. Your making GBS threads up my thread about how to get a helpdesk job and debating how much printers really suck and the cloudz!

Content:
My boss just told me he hasn't been ordering computers with SSD because he was concerned about their longevity and sudden data loss. As in every new computer in this place in the last 3 years hasn't got an SSD. Was finally able to talk him into switching just before he placed an order for a one off remote file server.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Swink posted:

Ages ago I posted how my request for a ticketing system and some semblance of order was denied.

Well, low and behold, the service quality of this department has gotten so poo poo that $manager has decided that a proper ticketing system is the way to go. Happy days.

I'm trialling Zendesk, which I like. Does anyone have advice for succesfully running a ticketing system for the IT department only. The default settings are very much slanted towards a million emails to customers for every update. At this stage we want to run it silently. Is it just going to be a lot of copying email bodies into the ticket body?

The workflow for issues right now is ten emails go back and forth between me and the user, once completed I either paste or write a summary of what occurred into the ticket comment and close it.

Is there a smarter way to do it?

At my new job I bought Zendesk just for myself and manually enter in tickets as they come, but I only get like 5 a week and this is more for my own record keeping than anything else. You can set it up so that tickets are generated by emails sent to a certain address and then just turn off any replies to the users. Or I think you can also create users but not enter in an email address for them so that there is no address to respond to. Either way I've been pretty impressed with Zendesk. If you talk to a rep there they can probably give you some better info. They were helpful the one time I talked to them about pricing.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

EoRaptor posted:

Call it using cscript.exe ( cscript slmgr.vbs /ato )

it will force a command prompt with text output that will self close.

I think you have to have a -nologo in that command line as well or you'll see an annoying pop-up that forces you to click OK or something.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I've had a new Lenovo T440, a Latitude 7240, and an EliteBook all in the last year or so and I think out of all of them I prefer the Elitebook. If Lenovo gets around to replacing that stupid trackpad then I would go back to the T440.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

syg posted:

So how do you deal with this at smaller companies though where you often have one engineer who knows everything and everyone relies on. Even in medium companies. Usually these IT departments are too small for real silos or separation of duties.

We have this problem as well, but I'm the guy who has all the keys. Our department is 10 people but most of them are junior and I can't see a scenario where I wouldn't have access to something because as the architect I often have my hands in all of the pots a bit to help guide them and make sure things are being done according to plan.

Generally my advice is to create and use lots of service accounts. But even then you run into the scenario of you or the head of IT being the only person with the credentials to use those accounts. I think it's still worth doing, as it can help mitigate some disasters. For instance if a junior sysadmin gets access to only one service account they can generally only mess up that one service not the entire organization.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Swink posted:

My workplace has 150 staff in various locations. Our IT Support is completely unstructured. What are some tips to creating a highly effective support team?

Step 1 - Get Ticketing System.

Step 2 - ???

I have myself and one other guy to utilise. Should I just read that ITIL book?

Edit - I realise the answers can be unique to each workplace, I'm really looking for broad ideas that I can fit to apply to us.

Like others have mentioned ITIL can be great and useful but don't go overboard with it. Just take the parts that would help your company and make the most sense for your environment and ditch the rest. It's easy to get way to into it, then all of the sudden you're having weekly meetings across multiple departments and hiring consultants and having change review board meetings all to discuss what should be in employees email signatures.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

After getting a job offer that pushes me up into "makin' bank" territory, I was considering becoming an insufferable alcoholic who spams up the thread with weird poo poo, but evol262 lives in the same city as me and would probably hunt me down and kill me so we're just stuck with a slow thread.

Go for it dude. You're a baller now. How are people going to know how much you're killing life if you don't name drop CCIE's in every conversation and talk about how mad drunk you got at the anime cosplay festival. And why I bet with enough booze and money you could help all the poors and the womens out there.

Just typing that out makes me miss his meltdowns. I'm sure I'm forgetting a couple of things too.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

FISHMANPET posted:

So that's a long way of asking if, in ITIL, services are allowed to consume other services.

So I may be off on this, but I believe ITIL got around this whole issue with their latest revision by dividing services between external and internal customers. So technically I think you should/would have to break down some of those internal services into business functions or configuration items. So in your example the internal hosting provider changes that service to become a function or CI to the larger project. So if you are using them to host a new dev environment for something that will be an external service to a customer the hosting provider just provides a piece of that larger puzzle. I think... All this reminds me that I'm glad I never went further with ITIL than the foundation cert.

If I remember correctly too there was lots of bitching from the ITSM community about this whole internal/external service issue.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Vulture Culture posted:

I haven't used the Cisco+Sourcefire stuff. Cisco people using the Sourcefire-integrated ASAs don't seem to feel left out of the party versus Check Point and Palo Alto users anymore, but I haven't seen anybody really super-enthusiastic about them either. CP and PA both have really performant architectures with lots and lots of super-efficient hardware offload. Palo Alto's built-in app signatures are super-easy to work with (though sometimes the inference can be a little buggy; STOMP MQ didn't play nicely with whatever profile it detected, for example), the logging and reporting work really well (besides the fact that you sometimes have to crawl around the GUI to cross-reference logs from different subsystems; it might be worth deploying Splunk or something if this is something you do often). They make their product really easy to demo. Their support, from what I've seen, is a lot more competent than what you'll get from Check Point. And of course, PA's mostly sane and competent interface is the big sell.

Their sales can be a little weird. At a previous job, after a demo, our networking group sort of had a pair of them just show up at the door. We didn't order them. They were like "oh yeah, here, try these out for awhile. No rush. Send them back if you don't like them." I think we finally got around to testing them two or three months later and were sold within the week.

I've seen some of their demo's and am leaning towards replacing an aging ASA with a something from Palo Alto. In your experience how is their pricing compared to Cisco? Do they break down features to separate licenses and then charge you a ton depending on what you want or is it more of a pay for it all type deal?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Daylen Drazzi posted:

Just got the word today - we've got a contract extension for a minimum of 8 more months. Extension is funded and we just need a signature on the contract to make it official. Looks like Tampa is going to wait for a few more months. With over a year as a Virtualization Admin in an Enterprise environment I think I'll have a lot better shot at landing a better gig when this contract finally ends (assuming I don't get yet another extension or new contract). The raise is going to be useful these next few months.

It seems like they've been jerking you around for like the last year with this. One day you're two weeks out from being jobless the next there is some cool job for you but office politics come up or something and again you're back at square one. Just get out of the military IT industry, it sounds pretty awful. Didnt you get your VCP? I bet you could find something in like 2 weeks that pays similar.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Look into Zendesk. Especially if it's just you or a smaller shop. Lots of customization and it's pretty cheap. I think I paid $12 for a full year for myself.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Agreed. The service has gone down hill since he started hiring advisers and quite doing them all himself. It looks great but just take that template and fill out the rest yourself.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

SaltLick posted:

My job got insanely boring real quick and I hosed around on the forums far too long and got comfortable. I could have certed like crazy during all this and gotten a good job but instead I'm moving to a MSP to get some actual experience on different things and feel like I've wasted a couple years. Use this time and study like crazy because you probably won't get another chance like it again

I've been in similar situations and looked back at all that time I wasted doing nothing. The worst part is when you would come from a day of nothing at work and relax and also do nothing. What a waste. Like others have said if you have the time at work use it wisely, study for certifications, practice coding, or take on side projects. I set goals for myself now at work be it a project or a cert and work towards them in my free time. It makes me feel a lot better about myself and also pays off career wise. I'm sure I wouldn't have gotten my current job without some of my certifications and other projects that I took on myself.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Critical posted:

3. Kind of embarrassing but I do not touch type. I type quickly and accurately without looking at the keyboard but its a mutant self taught technique. If I go in for a technical interview is the manager going to look at me like a UFO flew out of my head? I'm going to teach myself but it might take a while to break bad habits.

Why would this be an issue?

Critical goes into an interview, gets dressed up in a suit and tie to make a good impression. He seems like a great culture fit easily getting along with everyone as he tours the office, even making light flirty banter with the receptionist at the front door. He gets ushered into the managers office and starts answering technical questions lightening fast and accurately. "One last thing," says the manager almost sheepishly, "The CEO likes to hire really fast typers, kind of weird but we have to issue this Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing test. Let me just start the program here and I'll have you type out a quick submission and we can get started on your new hire paperwork".

As Critical begins to type his fingers blasphemously hovering over the shift keys the managers brow begins to furrow and light beads of sweat start to form. Critical begins to hammer away at the test, each finger blazing along striking character after character, as if his fingers were hunting and pecking fresh game from the wild to feed his family. The speed of his typing increases as he gains some steam. The managers stomach begins to twist and grow unsettled as he watches Critical type while his hands as crooked as a politician float effortlessly over the keys.

As he nears the end of the test, proceeding at record breaking speed, the manager can take no more. "FFFREEEAAAKKKKK," he yells. "This company has no place for you! I won't have someone like you at this company EVER work entry level helpdesk or desktop support. The DEVIL is in your hands!" he loudly exclaims. He forces Critical up out of his seat and rushes him out of his office towards the entrance. As he does he motions towards the receptionist to call security. "Have security escort this abomination out of here, we don't need the likes of you in here ever again".

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Update on this, that no one cares about, I launched the DB fix script, and it's sitting at calculating objects. It's been sitting here for about 10 hours now. I've never seen it take longer than one hour, but this database is 10x larger than any I've fixed before. I called my engineering lead, and says to just wait it out. Oh boy, nothing like watching a process that gives no feed back and hoping it's running ok.

I turned on verbose logging on all of our domain computers just so that I could quit having users come by and bitch that windows was taking forever to load. At least this way they can see what's going on in the background and it seems to make them a bit more patient.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Am I the only one that has no problem with contract to hire or hasnt had a bad experience? A few jobs ago I did a contract to hire and the employer was very up front in the fact that they do it to make sure that the new employee is a good fit culture wise and knows how to do their job. I think it can work well for employers and employees. It's hard to get a good feel for a company through interviewing alone. If you can work there a few months get a feel for the place and then decide to stay all the better. Saves you from feeling stuck in a job you may not like and saves the employer from having lovely employees.

Now all that said if they tried to drag it out or extend the contract portion I would absolutely be pissed and just find something else.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Again just my two cents but when I was on contract I got better pay with overtime to compensate for the lovely health coverage and benefits. Not all contract or contract to hire jobs are bad. Just do your homework and see if the job is a good fit for you. I also didn't have coworkers who looked down on me because I was on contract and not a full time employee.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I'm waiting for someone to invent EmployeesAsSimpleServants or eASS. It'll have a virtualized living environment (in reality conexes with one one hole for the bathroom and another for food and water), full of tech employees and when someone needs a "resource" they pull a lever and a sysadmin gets tranquilized and dropped off at the workplaces doorstep with their foot chained to the required server rack or cubicle.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

To get off of this derail whatever happened to MJP? Wasnt he throwing out some pay me more/extra pto ultimatum since his employer had him doing helpdesk on top of his normal job?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

RFC2324 posted:

They cut the entire department this morning. The entire sysadmin department is just gone other than the guys over in India(maybe them too, they obviously don't have my personal cell) :negative:

Are they farming it out to an MSP or something or just going without? I've always been interested in seeing how drastic cuts in IT can effect an organization. I'd like to think that they would suffer major consequences but a lot of times they seem to just trudge along for a good long while until something bad happens and poo poo hits the fan.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

mayodreams posted:

They did that at my current place about 7 years ago. Cut all the engineering staff and out sourced it for contractors. Unsurprisingly, they hosed everything up, the CIO got fired, and they ended up having to staff up again. I am still dealing with the remnants of systems those chucklefucks implemented.

Can you go into any further detail on this? In the couple of instances I've seen it's been the company cuts the IT budget and staff and things run fine for a while 2-3 months and the business owners feel vindicated in their decisions. Then something goes horribly wrong and they start emptying the pocket books to get it fixed. I mean I guess in the long run it may be cheaper but it seems like such a lovely way to run a business.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

KillHour posted:

Sometimes, I forget I have my butt to butt extension installed in Chrome.

Always loved checking the weather and seeing that the skies were partly Butty.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

I'm not sure if it's a personal crisis speaking, but I don't think I can keep doping the work I'm doing anymore. I've hit a brick wall at the helpdesk level as it appears that no one wants to take a risk on hiring upwards someone without the papers, but has around 2 years experience in helldesk for mixed windows environments. I know a lot and talking with most people in the industry agree that I should move on to an administrator or engineer role be it junior or newish. The problem is I hit the HR wall and can't get over it. Things I hear is that I'll be told "Perfect" on the interviews, go in depth with what I'vew worked on, and then get a notification 2 weeks later that they'd like to pursue more seasoned candidates or take my application to a multilevel role to mean I want to apply to their helpdesk role.

I feel that no matter what I do, I'm just not getting ahead, don't have the time to study for any of the certifications that I need to get on with my life, career and all points between because I spent 14 hours a day trying to keep my head above water. I'm considering quitting, taking 2 months to get all the certifications I can get and then reentering the workforce with my affirmation of my current skillset. If this crazy or what? I have the knowledghe and the expeirnece, but none of the validation required to take this up to the next level.

Two things that may help. One is that on your resume list any projects that you were a part of that were above and beyond typical help desk responsibilities. I know when I made the jump from helpdesk to sysadmin it wasnt as big of a deal because I had already been doing a lot of that type of work without the pay and title. So if you configure anything on servers, provision servers, do advanced networking setup or troubleshooting, script in powershell or python, etc make sure to list it.

Second and perhaps shady and ethically questionable is to just change your job title on previous jobs. If you were doing sysadmin work but it was a small company or something and they had you listed as Computer Network Tech or Helpdesk Tech just put system admin. If you're already doing that level of work without the title and can back it up with experience and knowledge just put that as your job title. Most job titles are meaningless in IT anyway. For example all of the "senior windows administrator" jobs that get forwarded to me by recruiters that appear to be little more than helpdesk/AD jobs.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

KillHour posted:

I'm quite fond of the Lenovo yoga pro.

I had a Yoga Pro and loved it but not for work. The high res display wouldn't scale correctly on a lot of applications so I'd have to blow up the font or turn down the resolution to get it to the point I could read anything on it. Amazing display though, loved watching movies on it.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

What do you guys use for remote control?

We have 90 local users, 5-10 of them are laptop based and can be out of the office. Just need to remote in when they call for support.

Right now we're using LogMeIn. Works fine I guess, but we're missing one feature we'd like. That would the ability to send non-employees (a customer for example, having trouble with one of our websites) to something like logmein.mycompany.com so we can remotely assist them with poo poo.

GoToAssist just seems to work goofy when it comes to how admins access local PC's and how credentials are stored, LogMeIn does this part really well. My helpdesk guy is trying a couple programs out.

I've used TeamViewer and Dameware before and liked both of those. Maybe we should just buy a separate product (Join.me for $20/month?) to do the remote, non-employee poo poo.

Suggestions/comments?

TeamViewer is great for this. I've also had good luck with GoToMeeting which will allow for hosting conference calls as well if you need it. Otherwise TeamViewer is the way to go, there pricing is pretty fair from what I remember too.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

What's wrong with Lync screen sharing or Microsoft Remote Assistance, both of which you're probably already paying for? The only issue I've seen with Lync is anything that requires a UAC prompt, but an admin pssession off to the side can generally do anything that requires elevation on the remote machine.

In addition to some people wanting it to work off network, I've also found that TeamViewer seems to perform much more reliably and quicker than Lync screenshare and remote assistance.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

MJP posted:

My new job involves a Lync 2013 UC, IM, and Presence infrastructure. They know I haven't really touched much of Lync outside of supporting AD group membership for an existing install, so I'd like to bone up a little. Any dos/do-nots, required reading, pointers, etc.?

Microsoft has a few virtuallabs for Lync server that might be helpful:
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/virtuallabs

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Robocopy has always worked perfectly fine for me, just my two cents.

Does anyone have any recommendations on books or resources online to learn more about DNS sync with AD? I suspect that some issues aI'm having at remote sites are related to DNS and I'm either to stupid or ignorant on knowing what to look for and how to fix them.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Here is Robert Half's which I've found to be laughably high based on all of their ridiculous modifiers:
http://s3.amazonaws.com/DBM/M3/2011/Downloads/RHT_2015_salary-guide.pdf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

aaronp posted:

Interestingly, I had the opposite reaction - the salaries listed there are incredibly low for the Bay Area, so I guess you need to have a modifier for the area of the world you live in.

There are regional modifiers in there by state. Looking up San Francisco's it's value is 138. So that may have skewed the numbers a bit low for you if you didnt adjust for that. Still overall I think it aims high for every job description. As someone else had mentioned they have an incentive to get wages hire for placements. Still it works as a rough guide or starting point for people.