Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

I think this might be the right thread..

I'm working at a company that sells enterprise software relating to IP Telephony, interfacing with cisco and avaya call center offerings(CUCM, UCCX/E, DMCC, etc). Doing support mostly break/fix. Started as a 'support engineer 1' at 42k. After a year I've been moved up to 52k at 'support engineer 2'. This is in Minneapolis.

To me this seems pretty good for my first real job in IT. But I'm curious what enterprise support people generally make. Any general telephony people in here?

I'm considering trying to get into a more general Cisco or Avaya role at some MSP but haven't really been able to gauge whether it'd be worth leaving my job to set up call center phone environments. I'd be pretty valuable to a lot of the partners we work with, but there might be some sort of non compete there, I assume it's common for non competes to exist between partners?

From my current view, it seems like it would be nice to not have my most important work be over WebEx with somebody talking at you the whole time, but I'm sure that stress would just be replaced with something else.

Stay at my easy flexible support job at a company who has shown nothing but a desire to keep me around? Or try to jump into a role at a company where I'd have more responsibilities and likely similar pay, but possibly a better job title? Lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

MF_James posted:

Yeah AFAIK call centers will typically do stuff inhouse, maybe some places that want phone stuff anywhere will do a hosted solution, but I would guess then, they have their network/telephone guys work directly with an ISP/carrier (one of our clients is a 50k-100K global company that does this with verizon).

I could be wrong, these are just my experiences, our MSP does everything in-house, network/telephony is handled by myself and 2-3 other guys.

Yeah that's what I'm trying to figure out. I haven't done any real looking at jobs yet but I bet I could get a job handling a call center, but the majority of the people I'm working with as a recording vendor are people at MSPs.

The MSP people seem to loving hate themselves though, so maybe I'll start looking for jobs with municipalities as those are the happiest people I deal with.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Iím interviewing for a ďNetwork/telecommunications administratorĒ job on Monday. Iím pretty good on the telecom and basic networking stuff, but can anybody recommend anything I should familiarize myself prior to the technical interview?

Iíve touched basic corporate networking stuff and can stumble through setting firewall stuff, but wouldnít like to get stumped. Job description doesnít read like Iíll need to be an expert but ya never know. Iím pretty confident with my VoIP competency

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Guy at a remote site said the rack didnít have any space for the ASA we sent. Asked for a picture and someone mounted a full size computer tower in there

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Iím new to dealing with vendors, but what the gently caress.

Company sends us charging bases for some wireless Cisco phones but didnít include power cables. I tell them we need cables and they say we can RMA them and order the product with the cable and itíll cost an extra $400. I say fine letís do that. Then I get a bill for 18 of the wireless phones, 8 of the bases(w/o power cable), and 11 8961 phones..

Is this kind of thing common?? When they sent the invoice I told them I changed my mind and that weíd just return the poo poo weíd already received. I guess we will figure something else out because when I send them the exact product ID number they still manage to gently caress it up and try to charge 10k more for poo poo I never asked for, and still donít even include the product I wanted.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Do Cisco cordless phones usually need local DHCP to connect properly to wireless? Spent like 6 hours with TAC wondering why DHCP requests were stuck sending requests over and over until I changed it to local instead of our centralized server. The centralized configuration works at a bunch of other sites so Iím at a complete loss.

Itís been a week and a half of whack a mole with wireless issues since TAC made me patch our controller for an issue where that wasnít the problem. Thinking of reverting over the weekend and seeing if it helps so I can actually get some stuff done next week. the director decided weíre just going to stop messing around with wireless issues if only cell phones are affected lol

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

If youíve ever worked on phones before that alone should be enough to put somebody into a help desk job I think. Especially if itís like application support where most useful knowledge will come from the team and experience working on the product

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

I recently made the move from application support to network administration and I gotta tell you I have no clue why they hired me. The other network admin was 45 minutes of my hour interview and he seemed to know what he was looking for, and asked probing questions on the fly just feeling out the way I think, no stupid trivia questions or asking me what x protocol is. Iím doing a lot of telephony too which I at least had experience with so I was able to answer those questions no problem. They ended up bringing me on even though Iíd never touched a firewall, switch, or modem CLI. I left the interview shaking my head like drat Iím gonna have to take another support job but he liked me and so I got an offer.

The director told me on my first day that they were just happy to get someone who knows Cisco phones but I honestly think thatís easier to pick up than learning everything networking. A month in and my bosses can throw tasks at me and Iím finishing those and my projects just fine. Iím extremely grateful because I love the work and Iím learning so much, but still I have to wonder how terrible the other candidates were on a 3 month old job posting where they chose me. Iím guessing it was just showing an aptitude for problem solving even with things outside of my comfort zone, and being a person who doesnít drive everybody in the area absolutely insane

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Farking Bastage posted:

Poor Centurylink...

A fiber multiplexer flaked out and broadcast stormed their entire network.

I was confused as hell looking into toll free outages when me and everyone in the office could reach the numbers from our cells, but nobody in MO could.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Iím pretty sure Iíve seen #2 verbatim somewhere before

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Partial Octopus posted:

I've been working in the IT department at my company for about 5 months now. We're a medium sized e-commerce company with around 300 employees in our main office. I had no formal IT experience or training prior to this role. I got the job by becoming friends my current manager who is the head of the IT department. Today my manager told me he is leaving for another company in 6 weeks. I'm considering also leaving the company but I'm not sure what kind of job I should be looking for with the experience I've gained so far.

I've mostly done help desk tickets, manage the VOIP system (adding new phones, changing users around, etc.), creating and deploying images with MDT, managing the audio and visual stuff for company meetings, and a few other smaller things along those lines. I also have some experience managing Qlik servers.

The job I have now pays fairly well so I'm worried if I go to a help desk position I'd be making significantly less. I'd like to find a job paying around 45-50K but I'm not sure how likely that is with my current experience. I'm not opposed to gaining some certificates either but I really have no idea what to go for.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Stay for another year-year and a half especially if itís your first job. Under 6mo you might as well not put it on your resume. Why do you need to leave because your buddy is? If youíre competent it should be no worries.

Get 2-3 years on the job then move to something above the help desk imo.

Adding new phones etc isnít really managing the voip infrastructure really either. Is somebody else actually working on infrastructure projects like setting up new sites, adding new features and stuff? In your next year there try to get involved with those kinds of projects and youíll be in a good place to move to some kind of admin role I think. Just stay.

Tetramin fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jan 11, 2019

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Partial Octopus posted:

So I've been at the company for about 3 years in total. My manager took me on and gave me a chance when his last employee was fired. I still work in my old sales position 1-2 days a week on super busy days. I'm worried that when the new guy comes and takes his place he might not need/want me on the team anymore. If that happens I would just be put back in my old role. This is why I'm considering looking for a new position if everything goes belly up. I'd really like to keep pursuing a career in IT as I really like the work.

Ah, I kind of see where youíre coming from. Could you apply to switch into the IT position full time at current company? If not, then it doesnít hurt to start interviewing but you might need to go for some help desk type things. Iím no career expert though but I guess I understand your concern in a scenario like that.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

lol yeah gently caress that Iíd be working remote until it ravages the entire office and itís safe to come back.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Docjowles posted:

^^^ Tweet deleted already, what was it?

Everyone knows this shame. "Probably some weird glitch, I'll just shut/no shut this interface and see if it clea-- Connection to important.host.lmao closed. SON OF A BITCH". Or firewall rules. Or sshd config. etc.

I am so glad my current job has solid OOB access to absolutely everything that's in a remote location

I shut the IPsec tunnel to a super important but new site that still has a fortigate firewall instead of an ASA. The web management has a pretty drat cool ďfeatureĒ where if you click and drag you can move an interface out of one nat policy directly into another from the main policy list page and it auto saves, and I accidentally did that with our head end. Iím pretty new here so I spent 45 minutes panicking until I finally got ahold of their on site IT to install teamviewer and fix it. Luckily pretty much all of their management team was in a meeting at the time so apparently nobody noticed

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Darchangel posted:

gently caress this now and forever. That's a good way to ensure that good people leave for somewhere that will at least keep up with inflation/cost of living, if not merit increases.

I was a Workstation Engineer computer janitor at my last gig, for several years. My dad is an actual Mechanical Engineer, so I felt kind of self-conscious about it. Current gig - I'm not actually sure what my title is. I'm using "Help Desk Analyst" because that's what the other guys are using, but I'm not actually Help Desk, though still largely a PC janitor.

<fire 5 bullets>
RANK UP!
SERGEANT SERGEANT MASTER SERGEANT SHOOTER PERSON!

I was a 'support engineer' at my first job. Pretty sure the developers hated that support was called engineers, and real engineers probably hate that software devs are called engineers.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

The Iron Rose posted:

lmao i just got fired for reporting sexual harassment/assault

dumbasses. you can't do that in canada

Lawyer dude

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

The Iron Rose posted:

I use these earbuds which are perfect for both calls and music. The call experience is actually stellar, I've used them outside on a busy street and people heard me just fine. Great audio quality too!

https://www.amazon.com/d/Earbud-Hea...RVRX?th=1&psc=1

Shame about your broken ears tho cuz these would be perfect

These look great. I have some ďwirelessĒ earbuds but they still have a wire connecting the two of them together. They just connect wirelessly. Bookmarked

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Umbreon posted:

https://www.heroku.com/careers

Checked their page and hot drat, these guys sound like a dream to work for, and I love explaining things to customers and helping them understand technical things. I don't have any web development background/experience, but I almost feel like it's worth teaching myself just for a chance at a job like this.

Definitely something I could look forward to coming to work for everyday

Customer support is such an uphill fight to me. Incredibly stressful and not very rewarding IMO. I like building things and working on projects. Heroku does sound like a good workplace though.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

George H.W. oval office posted:

Email still needed though, but creating a culture that isnít ďwell I sent them an email and they havenít gotten back to me!Ē Is a good thing I think.

I admit Iím terrible with this kind of thing. Iíve been trying to stick to phone calls for anything that seems like itíll take a 30 second conversation to figure out, but several days over email. I end up just waiting for replies on stuff I could progress with just a quick phone call. Emails nice to cover your rear end though and have clear documentation on some stuff.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I'm starting to get testy about it too, like unreasonably so.
I mean look I've been on-call in some capacity for every IT job I've had since I graduated college.
Not ONCE has any other job, in any other field, asked me to be this accessible even when I probably should have been...

Yet every IT job I've ever had, people have no qualms waking me up at 2am for some dumb bullshit REGULARLY.
This is only compounded by the fact that I literally cannot take vacation without worrying about being blamed for whatever the gently caress goes wrong while I'm gone.
Or worse, I get called while I'm on vacation to fix stupid poo poo that my boss' don't know how to fix and everyone who used to know quit out of frustration with my boss'.

ďNo laptop on me, hoss. Find another person to figure it out.Ē

ďOOO: Iím on vacation with no access to email or phone.Ē

U deserve it for being the only source of knowledge

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

betterinsodapop posted:

This.
At my last job, I was part of a 2 person "team." I was the junior person; my boss was the director. She was infamously out of pocket whenever she was on vacation or if it was a Friday (her "work from home" day.) It didn't matter WHAT happened, she wasn't answering any calls, emails...nothing. She nearly always vacationed overseas. Drove me loving crazy, but I respected the gall.

After years of putting out fires and holding that place together, I ended up getting recruited by a software company and couldn't leave fast enough.

So theyíre unavailable when theyíre on PTO. Sounds like they know how to work. Iím fine with on call but if Iím on pto Iím not answering your calls because Iím not a pussy. Being unavailable when youíre wfh on the other hand is annoying

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

siggy2021 posted:

I might be tasked with setting up a syslog server and agent for Windows logs soon, specifically our AD server and probably security logs, and it's not something I've really dealt with. For some reason we don't have this set up yet and as part of my goal to get things better here I'm on board. After doing some googling, there are like a million options and I have no idea what's good and what not. I was hoping you goons would have a recommendation.

Free is great, but paying is fine if it's not insane pricing. I don't need any fancy bells and whistles, I just need to hold security logs longer than what I do now.

I use Kiwi Syslog from solarwinds to retain logs from problematic network equipment. It can write to a searchable DB but I havenít done much with it aside from setting up logging on a router etc. not sure if itís a bad option for server logging, but I like it.

E: it has a 14 day free trial too. Only like $200 for full version iirc

Tetramin fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Feb 13, 2019

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

We're looking into using Cato for some sd-wan type of solution to our vietnam location. Sounds like a way better way of getting QoS for our voice traffic and is about 1/3rd the cost of getting an mpls circuit. Is the poo poo worth it? Is it worth applying to more locations(we have like 35 locations in different areas of the US) and does it give the same reliability? Management is chomping to cut the mpls bill down but i'm skeptical.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

*flushes toilet on a conference call*

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Thanks Ants posted:

Would not be able to cope in an open plan office with a communal playlist running all day, sorry. If you can work with stuff constantly going on around you then great, but not everybody can. Somebody in our office today was coughing every minute or so and it took all my strength to not get up and tell them to go the gently caress home.

I wonder if studies have been done to show the savings from going open-plan vs. the lost productivity due to people being constantly distracted. Assuming it's even possible to put a figure on it.
Today was the loudest day for a while, lots of outages and stuff, but the cube to my right had a manager and my coworker on a conference call(speaker phone), that another manager and coworker were speaker calling into 2 cubes to my left(like both of these cubes had a manager listening and speaking into the call over the cube residents shoulder),and my direct boss in his office across the room was also using speaker on the same call. It was loving surreal

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Agrikk posted:

I once worked in an office that had sound cancelling speakers mounted in the ceiling throughout the floor. It was weird that I never noticed them but I also noticed that sound just did not carry. There were no echoes at all and the floor was quite civilized.

Do people not use them anymore?

My previous job with an open office definitely used white noise and it worked great. I donít think my place is an open office, we all have basically 5ft tall cubes and itís usually extremely quiet(when Iím not on the phone with my extremely loud and stimulating ďphone voiceĒ). We just have a small area with hardwood floors so sound carries.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Whatís in the loving paste bin. Put it in a post here

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Defenestrategy posted:

Anyone have an idea of how much full time IT staff you would ideally have for a company of 50/100/500/1000 people?

Like if I said, there are only two full time IT people, a senior and an entry level dude, for a company of say one hundred people with responsibility for all systems, AV, VMs, Helpdesk poo poo, acquisitions, LDAP, etc, etc would that be weird/common/ideal?

We have 3 service desk, 3 sysadmins, and 2 network admins for a 3k+ company lol. Kill me.

Your scenario sounds pretty bad. I would at least want a dedicated service desk person for triage and handling the silly stuff that comes inn

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

I just did a pretty big Cisco phone deployment for one of our recently bought locations. Pretty much everybody there secretly resented us buying them out and I feel pretty bad coming in and forcing them to change, even though their phone system was about 25 years old and getting them on jabber and ip phones is gonna be a huge upgrade. Just felt a lot of sympathy for the dinosaurs who couldnít wrap their head around things like dialing before you pick up the handset.

At least it was in Colorado so I got to get loving ripped at the hotel every night I was out there

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Making 80k a year would be lifechanging for me, I wouldn't even care that that's the bottom of their range.

I hear ya on that, but never donít counter offer or that lingering thought will be in the back of your mind, wondering what you left on the table(happening to me right now in a job I really enjoy but didnít negotiate because I was unemployed)

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Shorter commute(especially when youíre saving 10+ hours a week) would absolutely be enough to change jobs even if it comes up a bit short on salary. Pension is a no brainer. You also seem to be banking on some radical change in your current company, do you really think that will happen?

If you quickly max out your salary I guess I donít really know how it affects a pension though. I would consider moving to new opportunity, maxing out your salary, and then moving on, but if you do that the pension may not be worth considering really.. Even without the pension, if it were me Iíd jump for the better quality of life anyways.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Vargatron posted:

I work for a public university so I can offer some insight on this. If this is a public community college then your retirement and healthcare are probably going to be pre-taxed. This will put you at a lower tax bracket and your income tax returns will potentially be higher. Your net pay may go down, but your take home probably won't be reduced too much because of all the tax benefits for being a public employee. However, don't expect steady increases other than cost of living year over year. Once you're in the state system it's easy to transfer or apply for promotions.

Take the job offer.

Is having healthcare and 401k taken out pretax uncommon? Every job Iíve had took benefits pretax..

E: unless pre-taxed means the opposite of what I think.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Vargatron posted:

I think what I meant is retirement contributions don't factor into your gross wages.

My retirement contributions also donít factor into my gross wages. Thatís what pre tax contribution means. If I found out a job made me pay taxes on contributions i would be shocked. No job does that, which is why early withdrawals from your 401k etc cost money in taxes...

Like if any of us here tried to pull 10k from our 401ks, we would all get owned on taxes the next year because we would owe 30-40% on it... that really isnít abnormal itís why job benefits are better than setting up your own plan.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

So I was doing a subnet scan on a /16 on one of our networks that has a little end to end MPLS between them and one other site, and started getting replies from some subnets we definitely aren't using.. Did a traceroute and saw that it was going over the providers public network... Ended up logging into a switch for some car dealership with default credentials.

We opened up a ticket with this carrier to ask them wtf is going on and the tech started making GBS threads his pants, 'uhh its been like this for over 7 weeks as far as i can tell'. Lol this one customer of theirs is having their poo poo advertised to every single other customer they have, and at least one of their network devices uses default creds!

I wonder if the provider's gonna notify that customer because good lord.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

AnnoyBot posted:

As a US-ian, I'm curious about how common scenarios are paid (or not paid) for in other exotic lands. If you're outside the US, give the country and state if appropriate. Is the idea that employers should only be on the hook for 40 hours a week while employees are at their mercy uniquely American? No, this is not for a school project; I'm just curious how IT works when outside the wild west labor-lawless 'Murica zone.

For each scenario, I'm interested in the following:
- Are you hourly or salaried? Does "overtime exempt" exist? Are there restrictions on how many hours you can work in a day or week?
- Is this allowed? Perhaps you can't work more than 35 hours, or work can't call you off hours. Give detail.
- Is this time paid for?
- Is it overtime?
- Are the answers above because of "company policy", state, national law or other (eg EU rules)?

Scenarios:
1) Your manager is across an ocean, and likes to have 1:1s at 11pm your time.
2) Your org has teams in 3 continents. Daily status meeting is at 7am your time, which is roughly 4pm for the other primary team. Your job is theoretically 9-5.
3) You are 24/7 on call for 2 weeks. You get woken up about once a night, ranging from 15min to 3 hours. You must respond in as near to real time as possible, but can be anywhere that internet is available.
4) You work 9-5 M-F, but have 4 hour 11pm maintenance windows on 2 weekdays, and a 6 hour window on saturday starting at 7 pm.
5) You're working on a new Ansible deployment. Iterating the playbook configs and pushing new test jobs takes all day, and goes until about 9pm.

As for me:
- salaried, no hour limits, no overtime, no on call pay (though 2 of my 5 jobs in the past have paid a nominal extra flat rate bit for oncall shifts)
1) allowed, no pay
2) allowed, no pay
3) allowed, no pay
4) allowed, no pay
5) allowed, no pay (but this is the only one that's kind of fun and doesn't make me tear my hair out)

Are you loving kidding? Get the gently caress out right now.

At the very least comp time for everything, and then showing up to work late the day after all of the off hours poo poo, without using the comp time. My boss will straight up decline PTO requests if i have comp time banked and forget about it, telling me to just take the day. I seriously hope I can avoid getting into a situation like the quoted post. I have been lucky.

Tetramin fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Mar 16, 2019

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Sepist posted:

The connection between the cameras and the NVR are no longer being blamed.

Now they're blaming the connection from the NVR to the client.

On the same switch.

Is the tech the one pushing them to that? Because thatís a loving rear end in a top hat tech if so.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

I was being blamed for months up until a few days ago for wireless clients losing connectivity at all kinds of different sites with zero proof besides 'they cant access internet,'. That turned out to be something in windows causing people's laptops to set the network type as 'unidentified' on random days. Shockingly, no mobile devices were ever affected. I have no idea why Windows does that poo poo but at least in W7 you could manually change the network type, but I guess in 10 you can't do that

dont get me wrong, our wireless network is a piece of poo poo that has all sorts of random problems, but we're also using out of support WAPs because we have a bunch of 7925 phones that don't support WPA, so we need to use WEP for the voip network lol.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

my bosses wife came in and yelled at him last night during some after hours work, then it was just constant sound of crickets on the conference call... i guess she made him go outside in like 35 degree weather? do crickets even come out this time of year?

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Bonzo posted:

My co-worker has ticket where someone is just now upgrading from Server 2003

yeah well our oracle server runs 2000. and my coworker left it in the DMZ overnight during some FW changes at our head-end thinking it'd be no big deal but....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Iím handling the entire IT portion of one of our locations moving buildings. They handed this to me like 3 weeks after I started here and I feel like Iím dropping the ball over and over. Really itís not my fault, but having a rushed order for the ATT circuit with a 4 month buildout, that got finished early, they didnít supply a router(I figured weíd get a modem but nope), and now I have to wait for att to get us equipment before we can test and turn up. The people at the site are going straight to the CTO with half-true information which is causing tons of confusion with management and people yelling at me over ATTs poo poo.

Really loving stressful and Iím not in any position to fix any of it in a timely manner(right now!!). The move is scheduled for 5/10 lol so I really donít get why theyíre going over our heads to say ďeverything must be ready yesterdayĒ and passing along snippets of emails.... Our director of infrastructure has know whatís going on the entire time and is trying his best to stop this broken communication but they will not listen. loving frustrating and wanted to complain somewhere. Thanks.