Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tindalos
May 1, 2008
Giraine, once part of the county of Arvon, has seen better days.

Ever since Seshnela was shattered, the island has been a mystery. Only in recent decades have people once again been able to reach its shores, and what they found there did not inspire them.

What land remains above the waters is still sodden by them, with only the westernmost part of the island suitable for for living and farming, and even then they have to deal with driving off the local infestation of toads of all sizes.

All the tales you've heard of this place have given you some misgivings, like the foolish and ugly natives, the flying horrors, and the rumblings from the black trench. But still, the potential of this land is enough to outweigh all your concerns.

And so you left port on the only ship heading to this forsaken and blessed isle, seeking coin, freedom, truth, or duty. Around you stand others like yourself, travelers, wanderers and explorers, all watching the oarsman struggling against wind and current to speed you to the island.

It's takes a full day and night of sailing to get you there, but now the island is within reach. As the ship sails amongst the rocks and reefs beneath the surface, you can see the landmarks of the island. A small mountain on its easternmost edge is surrounded by ray-like creatures, flying around its peak, the ruins of villages beneath the calm waters, a strange tower glowing with sorcery, and the villages surrounded by the small boats of fishermen.

Eventually your ship pulls up at the docks of the largest settlement on the island. Tholos, as the sailors have called it.

At the docks, a man waits surrounded by several soldiers of the lion society and a handful of servants. When you have left the boat he bows towards you all, and makes the Law Rune with his hands.

"I bow to the divine within you, and welcome you to Giraine. I am Ronalio, appointed lord of Tholos. Any who wish to come here are welcome, and I wish to offer hospitality to you all."
He glances briefly at Neleos and hesitates. Out of fear of the Brithini, or something else?
"I offer my workers to aid you with any possessions you have brought, but first I would ask for the gift of your names. I wish to know all new arrivals to this land, so that I may aid them in whatever way I can."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tindalos
May 1, 2008
This post will be used for anything needed in play.

Basic Mechanics
Abilities and Keywords
An ability can be anything your character can use to interact with the game in some way. It can be a physical attribute (strong as an ox), a mental skill (knowledge of oxen), a personality trait (stubborn as an ox), a flaw (relates everything in terms of oxen), a possession (owns a flock of chickens), or anything else you can think of.
Keywords are broad and general abilities, relating to such things as an occupation or a background (eg. ox farmer). These can be used like any other ability in play, for anything related to that keyword (for example, a soldier will know all about how to fight with a sword, or how to set up camp). Keywords cost more to raise in play (see the Hero Point section for details), but may also contain other abilities. For instance while all soldiers will know how to fight, a soldier who specializes in archery will be far better than others. These abilities are known as breakouts.
Abilities and Keywords are rated on a scale of 1 to 20. When you increase an ability beyond 20, instead of going to 21, the ability is now rated at 1W. The W (or ), is known as a Mastery, and indicates a level of skill beyond that of most people. When in a contest, you increase your level of success by 1 for each mastery you have. If both sides of the contest have masteries, they cancel each other out on a one for one basis.
Breakout abilities are noted beneath their keywords as an increase. For instance:
Sailor 17
- Catch Fish +1
While performing any other sailing activities, the sailor has a rating of 17. While catching fish, they have a rating of 18.

Contests
Most actions will be determined with a simple test. 1d20 will be rolled for you, and one for your opponent or resistance.
Both attempt to roll under their appropriate number.
The results are then compared on a step scale of Critical -> Success -> Failure -> Fumble.
The distance in steps determines the result.

Augments
Any defined ability, keyword, or rune may be used to improve the next test of another ability.
You must describe the way in which the augment improves your action prior to the test in question.
You may describe the augment in one of two ways. 1. An association that the group as a whole finds interesting or funny. If it elicits a regular, positive response it will fit here. 2. A logical association. If it's a simple claim that a keyword that covers training with a weapon would improve combat with that weapon, it belongs here.
The level of augmentation depends upon how how appropriate/interesting the ability being used to augment is.
Comical or clever augments may be used as long as the group finds them interesting. Logical augments may only be described the same way once. The general rule of thumb here is to avoid getting stale. Switch it up, and you can keep reaping the benefit of augments.

Wounds and Lingering Benefits
Any time you make a contest, the result may add an advantage or penalty to following uses of that ability or group.
In the case of a success, usually this will apply a temporary bonus to subsequent uses. These bonuses will vanish when next you fail a contest with that ability.
In the case of failure, you will accrue "Injuries" to all abilities associated with the one in use. These can be anything appropriate to the contest at hand. From actual wounds in physical combat onto simple embarrassment in a social situation.
Wounds come in four levels. Hurt->Impaired->Injured->Dying.
Wounds are healed either through time or supernatural means.

Hero Points
Hero Points are both your advancement and your extra effort pool.
3 Points will be awarded at the start of each session. When you have more than three Hero Points, you immediately spend any extra on new abilities, or raising existing abilities.
New abilities may be purchased at a cost of 1 HP. These will start at rating 13.
Any ability may be raised for the cost of a single hero point one per season.
If attempting to raise the same ability multiple levels in the same season, the cost goes from 1 -> 3 -> 6 -> 10 HP spent per increase.
Keyword costs are double that of an ability, or 2 -> 6 -> 12 -> 20
Hero Points may also be spent to purchase an improvement to any contest result. Raising you by one step from Fumble -> Major Failure -> Minor Failure -> Marginal Failure -> Stalemate -> Marginal Victory -> Minor Victory -> Major Victory -> Critical Success.

Map of Tholos

Tindalos fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jun 11, 2015

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!

Not waiting for anyone else to speak, Neleos steppes up front, towering over Ronalio (and everyone else, really). He looks down towards him, and bends ever so slightly, then straightens up again, stiff as a board.

As he speaks, the contempt in his voice is almost palatable, even if words themselves appear respectful. "The name you may address me by is Neleos the White. I have come to this isle to perform my research, and I shall require lodgings, food and a place for me to perform my craft..." his face somehow manages to look even more sour, as he continues. "...I will, of course, provide you with adequate payment for these transactions in whatever currency is accepted in this place, if the need so is required."

With his speech finished, Neleos becomes dead silent once more, and steps aside, not hiding his concentrated stares into the faces of each other person who speaks.

pre:
Homeland: Arolanit Exile 13
    Paranoid +1

Caste: Wizard 1W
Standard of Living: Prosperous
    Runic Sight +1
    Relationship: Midos, my apprentice +1

Runes

Darkness 13
     See in Darkness +1
     Evade Magical Detection +1        

Movement 17

Law+Infinity 9W (Zzaburi Enlightnment)

Zzabur Says (Magic) +1
      Command Beast
      Neutralize Magic
      Tap Magic
    Beyond Aquatic Laws (Water)
      Summon Undine
      Freeze Water
    Opposing Mythical Representations: Exploration of the Material World Through Logic (Movement, Truth) +1
      Disguise Form
      Identify Historical Background   
      Teleport Short Distances
    Book of Iron Chastisement (Death, Law)
      Blinding Pain

Cause Uncertainty 13

Follower: Midos (Neleos' Apprentice)
   Zzaburi Apprentice 2W
   "Speaks Truth, but does not yet understand it" 1W
   Friends with the soldiers of Tholos 15

Hero Points: 1

Jenx fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Sep 26, 2015

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!
Talmakos Tragonid, Noble and Man-of-All in training

Talmakos helps lead down his steed Trymir from the ship. Some of the other passengers had given the horse and its rider strange looks, for horses usually take badly to the sea, but the horses of the Tragonids have always been of fine stock and of intelligent bearing, and Talmakos couldn't bear to be apart from his noble companion. Going to his locked, water-tight chest, he removes two ancient codices, protected by both mundane means and numerous blessings, and holds them tightly to his chest, for they are without price. Checking out of the corner of his eye to make sure his panoply is being treated with the respect and care it deserves, he approaches the nobleman.

"Hail the div-" he begins when the Brithini interrupts. "Research" the wizard says. Talmakos resists the impulse to drop his hand onto Tizona, his sword of Dwarven Iron, so sharp it can cleave a shield in twain. War will come when it does, and Hrestol Himself let the Brithini slay him on the Death Rune.

When the wizard is done, Talmakos steps forward and bows. "Hail the divine in Ronalio, lord of Tholos," he begins, "I am Talmakos, of the house of Tragonos of old. Now we call the manse and fortress of Blackwater near the ruins of Laurwal our home." He motions with the codices. "I have come to claim my family's lands, a fief once called 'Nether Ripon', as explained in this text. Should someone doubt my claim, I have here also my proof of lineage, to show that I am the lawful owner." He folds the books back under his yellow cloak. "But that is for later!" Talmakos exclaims with a smile as he shakes his legs out a bit. "That voyage was certainly something. I should like to enjoy your hospitality, and bless you for your generosity!"

pre:
Homeland: Castle Coast 13

Caste: Man of All 16
	Living Standard: Prosperous
		Inspiring Leader +1
		Makan is Wounded +4

Took hold of His Fate 17

Uncompromising Fighter W1
		Trymir +1
		Tizona +1
		Flesh is but an extension of the Will +1

Mastery W1 [Infinity]
	The Talar
		Commanding Shout
		Rally Followers

Truth 17
	Joy of the Heart +1
	Book of Glorious Joy
		Reveal Glimpse of Solace
                Heal Other

Fire 16
	The Flamesword Book
		Burning Blade
		Burn Away Pagan Magic
		Heal Steed
	Book of Swift Justice
		Eternal Vigil
		Illuminate Darkness
Pre-Quest Sheet

Friar John fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Nov 15, 2015

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
Taretax

pre:
From the Sticks of Castle Coast 16
    +1 Avoid Offence with Plant Men
    +1 Make Do and Mend

Worker Caste 5W
    +4 Life as a Fisherman
    +1 Pure Worker Family

Water 18
    +1 The Book of Openwater Sailing
        Float in Water
        Predict Weather
    +1 Waertagi Blood

Movement 13
    +2 Swim Like a Dolphin

Life 17
    +1 Encourage Fertility
    +1 Breath Water

Unburning Flame 14

Beastman Ward Charm 13

Can Speak Ouori 16

Bonuses
+3 to resisting Vadeli Magic
+6 to navigating the Otherworld

HP: 3
When land is sighted, Taretax and some of the other crew let out a explosive cheer and work with double vigour to get the ship into land safely. Once the anchor has been dropped and the ropes tied to the dock, Taretax clambers off the boat excitedly and stretches his legs on the dry ground. This is my new home he thinks, and smells the new air. Though any air would be better than what was offered in the stifled quarters of the ship, Taretax would have bet all of his belongings (loincloth, headscarf, fishing gear) that the air was undoubtedly fresher and more full of life than what was offered back home. He knew that things would be different here and that he could begin anew, unmolested by troubles and complications.

Taretax stays to the back of the crowd when Ronalio speaks, he could see the Noble from a mile off and he didn't want to get the attention of the man whose land he could potentially be working on, just in case. You never know what the yellows are thinking. He spies Dagram not too far from him and gives him a grin and a curt nod, indicating his aversion to this authority figure and hoping the red would have a like-mind.
This doesn't mean to say that Taretax was rude however, when Ronalio makes the greeting, he makes it back and when asked for his name he states "Taretax" with no hesitation or mumbling, though after the necessary introductions were done with he does his best to merge back into the crowd, wondering what to do next.

Chatrapati fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Aug 12, 2015

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Daros

Daros pushes forward, not overly pleased that he was not first in greeting. The seas had been fair, the winds...not so good, but the rowers' backs strong, and he was, at least, at Tholos at last. And now this insult. Still, he was magnanimous, he was patient, but at the same time, he remembered. He bows to Ronalio, and says, with a light Tanisorian accent, "I greet you, Lord of Tholos. I am Daros of Nolos, son of Bralak of House Trososides, Baron of Velletri, and I am pleased to accept your hospitality."

pre:
Homeland: Nolos, Quinpolic League 13
              -Owns a Spice Plantation

Caste: Noble 13
        -Merchant Prince 1W
           -Has his own Ship

Runes

Air 13
  -Summon Fair Winds

Movement 15
   -Walk over Everything  
   -Never get Lost

Communication 4W
   -The Ledgers of Credit
      -Convincing Offer
      -Preserve Goods
   -Sooth the Angry Heart 
   -Persuasive

Mastery 1W
     -The Talar 
        -Protect Me
        -Induce Loyalty
        -Heart Stirring Oration
        -Commanding Shout
     -Leadership

Epicurius fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Aug 28, 2014

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
Dagram

Just his luck, not even minutes off the boat and already a run in with the local lord. You'd think the drat Talars would have better things to do than harass (arguably) honest travelers. Yet here this Ronalio fellow was, making images of dungeon cells and scaffolds dance through Dagram's head. At least he wasn't alone in his apparent discomfort, the green man from the ship seemed almost as uncomfortable as he. The fisherman finds his gesture mirrored briefly, before Dagram returns to bowing his head in apparent deference. It's just a coincidence that it makes it harder to identify his face, of course. Still, rather than risk being singled out for his silence the less-than-virtuous mercenary states simply, "Dagram, lord."

pre:
Abilities
Oradarosi: 16
	Experienced Sailor +1
	Can Catch a Fish +1

Roguish: 19
	Knows a Few People +1
	Path of Least Resistance +1
	Stretch the Truth +1

Soldier: 2W
	Corsair +4
	Dirty Fighter +1
	Brawler +1

Magic
Earth: 1W
	The Scaled Tome +1
		Wrestle Anything
		Stone Skin

Stasis: 15
	Gordian Knot

Beast: 13
	Crocodile's Maw

Tran fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jun 13, 2015

advokat
Nov 17, 2012
Adelbrand the Sober, Pedantic Knower

The journey has not been to the Knower's liking. The turbulent sea disagreed with him most strongly, occasionally causing his face to develop a tint of decidedly caste-inappropriate green. His company was even less appropriate; except for Guilliam and a fellow zzaburi, most of the passengers and a good share of the crew were heretics of one sort or another, which only contributed to his nausea. If only this was not the only ship going to Giraine at any reasonable timetable! But then, it is not surprising that this island does not get much traffic. The things he heard and read about it back on the mainland were bad enough; the stories he caught on the ship were even worse.

As the ship nears its port, Adelbrand resolves to brave the deck again and see it for himself. No horrible flying lizards or hideously twisted frog-men catch his eye, contrary to the cries he overheard coming from the deck earlier into their approach. And yet Giraine is a sorry spectacle, a provincial and ruined island. The Castle Coast probably looks much like this, the Knower thinks to himself, if maybe a little more horrible and dreary. This island, poor as it is, still has hope - so long as I carry out the mission entrusted to me with all due diligence and forthrightness.

Belatedly snapping out of his contemplation of the tasks that lie ahead, the zzaburi straightens up and bids for Guilliam to follow him, as he notices the passengers begin to disembark. The horali has waited patiently, apparently excusing the Knower's delay. He is a dutiful, reliable man. Adelbrand knows little else as the Lion Society soldier has only been assigned to him as his bodyguard shortly before their departure. He supposes he does not need to know anything more.

With his belongings - mostly grimoires, scrolls and writing implements - gathered up in the two satchels on his belt, Adelbrand makes his way along the pier towards the talar. He frowns slightly at his words of greeting - they certainly smack of Hrestoli teachings, although the more ignorant Rokari have been known to use them too. Nonetheless, he returns the sign of Law, and when he gets a word in, bows slightly in acknowledgement of the talar's authority. "I am Adelbrand, Knower of the Rokari, here to see to the spiritual welfare of my brothers and sisters in sect," he introduces himself haughtily, while Guilliam salutes his fellow Lions with thinly veiled disdain (they are, after all, from a different and somewhat less prestigious regiment).

---

pre:
Homeland: Seshnela 15
	Zealous

Caste: Wizard 1W
Living Standard: Prosperous
	Knower +4
	Pedantic +1
	Well-Read +2
	Socially Oblivious
	Orders of the Watcher Supreme
	Horali Bodyguard, Guilliam

Third Son of Baron Vikard of Vetagane 13
Brithini Heritage 13

Runes:

Fire 13
	Create Light Source +1

Truth 17
	Right and Wrong Reading +1
		Dispel Magic
		Preserve Grimoire
		Relay Truth
	(1 left)
	Read Text +1
	A Hunch for Lies

Law 18
	The Abiding Book +1
		Bless Populace
		Runic Vision
		Bless Building
		Forgive Sin

Hero Points: 5

advokat fucked around with this message at 22:59 on May 4, 2015

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.

ZARASHA

The young Zarasha was married to a violent noble who murdered his virgin wives before they could break their vows to him. To avoid death, she told him a story on their wedding night and stopped just before the ending. So enthralled was the noble by her storytelling that he delayed her death 'till the next night that he might hear the ending. She finished her story, but then started another, and another, and another. She told a story every night for a thousand nights, until the noble truly fell in love with her.

Having completed her plans for escape, she stabbed him to death and left his citadel unnoticed.

In her guise as a free-travelling trobairitz of Amaril's Band, she is a spy and assassin for the Quinpolic League. She travels to Giraine to ply her trade and ensure that the island falls into the League's hands.

pre:
Homeland: Pithdaros 13
 - Polyglot +1
 - Swim Like A Fish +1

Caste: Worker 17
 - Trobairitz +4
 - Acrobat +1
 - Master Storyteller +1

Cunning Spy 1W
 - Assassin +1

Water 13
 - Break All Ties And Walk Away +1

Movement 15
 - Enigmas Of The Serpent (Disorder, Movement) +1
   False Strike
   Find Vulnerability
   [TBD]
   [TBD]
 - Escape Pursuers +1

Illusion 3W
 - Amaril's Anthology (Communication, Illusion) +1
   Harmonising Voice
   Imitate Voice
   Song of Love
   [TBD]
 - Change Appearance +1

Extinguish Light 13
Defend Against Chaos 13
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Zarasha had watched Giraine come into view with a grim smile. What a lovely hole to die in.

Seeing the lord approach, she slipped towards the back, so that she would be the last person to greet him. When it was her finally her turn, she made a slow and theatrical bow, dipping so low the beads of her veil touched the ground.

"Lord Ronaaaaalio. My name is Zarasha. You are very kindly to offer this humble thing your hospitality."

Down With People fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Sep 5, 2014

Dumnbunny
Jul 22, 2014

Luc checks over his belongings before disembarking, the clothes, grooming supplies, personal effects. Special attention is paid to the satchel carried over his shoulder and under his long blue coat and the grimoires, writing supplies and blank parchment it contains, and the wards placed upon it.

He kneels down to look Halifor in the eyes, seeing a flicker of flame in the pupils; he takes his face in his hands and says sternly "Behave yourself." After a moment, he ruffles the fur on the top of Halifor's head; "Ah, you're a good dog. You'll behave. Hmmm, sometimes I think I dote on you too much." He looks Halifor over with Magical Sight, noting the salamander within, but focussing on the wards that contain the element and keep it from reducing the vessel to ash.

His checks complete, he disembarks and accepts Ronalio's greeting, likewise forming the Law rune and bowing appropriately deeply for a zzaburi meeting a talar (at least by Pithdaros standards). "I am Luc of Pithdaros, a zzaburi of the Ekozite School, and I am here to learn and to teach. What sort of lodgings are available?"

pre:
Homeland: Pithdaros, Quinpolic League 13

Caste: Wizard 19
   Research: +1
   Recall Obscure Detail: +1
   Strong Singing Voice: +1
   Make a Compelling Argument: +1

Fire: 1W
   Endure Heat and Flame:  +1
   A Treatise on the Manifestations of Fire +1
      Summon Salamander
      Manipulate Fire
      tbd
      tbd

Truth: 20
   Meditations on Truth +1
      Reveal the Truth
      Enhance Memory
      tbd
      tbd

Law: 19
   Resist Chaos: +1
   Circle of Protection: +1
   The Red Book of Zzabur: +1
      Liquefy Solid
      Putrefy Metal
      tbd
      tbd

Curiosity: 13
Runic Tablet: 13
Halifor: 13
   Dog Vessel for Bound Salamander: 7W
   Protective of Luc: 13
   Big Dog: 13

Hero Points: 4
   This session:
      2 pts: Increase Caste: Wizard to 19
      2 pts: Increase Truth to 20

Dumnbunny fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Jul 22, 2015

Tindalos
May 1, 2008

Ronalio smiles graciously before he addresses you once more.
"It is good to see so many of my fellow kinsmen here on Giraine, but I thank all of you for coming here." he then speaks to each of you in turn, starting with the nobility.

"Talmakos, your claims will be investigated later, when we can compare our maps. If our claims do not conflict, I will be happy to aid you with your reclaiming of your ancestral lands." he carefully avoids the subject of what would happen otherwise.

"I take it the Trososides seek to form better trade relations this isle? Well Daros of Nolos, I do not think we have much, but what we have we are willing to share in trade."

He begins to direct everyone along the path to Tholos, while continuing to talk with you. He acknowledges Dagram, Taretax, and the other workers, he does not speak to them directly, and instead sends his workers to carry their belongings. Instead he addresses the others, beginning with Neleos.

"It is unexpected to see another of your great kindred pass through here. Even more unexpected for you to ask for lodging. We shall find a suitable dwelling place for you, and provide you with all you need."

"Adelbrand, Knower of the great book, you are either curse or blessing. Of late our Rokari brethren have left Tholos, claiming we were heretics. I crave your wise eyes to show that we are not tainted by falsehood, and that common love and duty can bind us together against those outside."

"As for lodgings", he moves to walk with Luc. "While you are always welcome in Tholos, there is a temple set up by your school to the north. If you seek to study with them, I would be honoured if my guard could accompany you, for the natives do not trust wizards, and may lie in wait outside our walls." he gestures at one of the less crumbling walls of the town as you finally reach it.

As he stands in front of them he then speaks to Zarasha. "Hospitality is no treasure to be hoarded by a miser, but a gift to be shared with the world. Only an enemy should be refused it, and I hope I do not count you amongst mine."

With this he ushers you into the town, to show off its sights.

"First, let me show where we shall meet for dinner. My manor is in the center", he gestures to a large building by the crossroads. Opposing it is a similarly built manor, about which he says nothing.

"Along the east wall lies the the barracks of the soldiers and workers. The shrine to the invisible god is in the north west corner" he points to the last of the multiple story buildings in the town.

"Outside the walls lies the huts of the natives who have been exiled. They dwell there because they will not follow our laws, although we hope to convince them of their error soon. Lastly, as you may see to your left are some new buildings, which will hopefully be more permanent housing for the people."

"Now I must leave to tell my cooks to prepare a feast. We will eat after the evening blessings at the shrine. Until then, feel free to explore Tholos. I hope it proves to your satisfaction."

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Talmakos

Bowing again at Ronalio, Talmakos directs the dronari to take his effects to the manor. In the back of his mind he hopes he receives a better room than the others! Seeing a pair of horses grazing behind the manor, Talmakos whispers to Trymir, and the horse trots by itself to take its repast with the others of its kind. As Ronalio leaves for the manor, Talmakos holds up his hand "If I may join you for a bit longer?" Talmakos walks side by side with the Pithdaran. Along the way to the mansion, Talmakos asks Ronalio a few questions, though allowing the man to defer from answering some if it does not please him. He asks where the man comes from in the League, how long he has been in Giraine, if his family has joined him in Tholos, and if Ronalio has ever seen such a strange sight as the collection of travelers he has just met this day, including Talmakos himself!

Just being friendly. Ronalio seems like a cool guy, and Talmakos is happy to make friends with him so far.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Daros

Daros bows in farewell. "I thank you, most noble Baron, and I have no doubt that we can negotiate trade that will benefit both our Houses and people. I have no doubt this island has opportunities that will benefit us all. I look forward to speaking more about this at some later time. And now, if you will all excuse me," he says to the group, "it is my habit to give thanks to the Invisible God for a safe voyage. I will see you at dinner."

At that, he takes his leave and walks towards the shrine to pray.

Going to use Quinpolic League 13 to figure out exactly what I know about Ronalio, his family, how he got this barony, how much support he has back home, how much of the island it covers, and so on. I figure that's all stuff that I, a Quinpolic League noble, would have a good chance at knowing...the nobility's not THAT big, and "Hey, here's a new island we're colonizing and the guy leading the colony" probably would be big news.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
Dagram

Having weathered the ambush without incident, Dagram turns toward the like-minded Taretax, "Come on I'll buy you a drink. I'm too damned sober for some fancy dinner party."

That said, he sets off for the barracks. If there was anywhere in this hole to get a drink and a game of dice, that's where he'd find it. Maybe even find some other sell-swords with a line on some work while he was at it.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

It takes Neleos a few seconds to process what he heard. "Another of my kindred? Are you saying another of my people have come to this place?"

As the group was leaving, Neleos clutched the satchel with his books and scrolls to himself, looking around as he walked, trying to see anyone with the coloring of a Brithini. At Ronalio's invitation he absentmindedly replied "I will attend this feast."

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

Now there's two Brithini? God preserve us, I might be giving Giraine to the Quinpolic League in an urn.

Zarasha follows several paces behind Ronalio and his entourage. She walks in an easy, casual way, looking absentmindedly at the other mansion on the north side of town. Meanwhile, she listens very intently to everything Ronalio has to say.

Down With People fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jul 30, 2014

advokat
Nov 17, 2012
Adelbrand appreciates that the man makes no attempt to conceal what he is, at least. On the other hand - 'not tainted by falsehood'? Is that so? "I shall be the judge of it, talar," Adelbrand promises reassuringly. "Pray tell me, did all the Rokari leave? And where can they be found now?" It is not as though he had not received any instruction whatsoever before coming here... but the talar may have more detailed and recent information. And if he lied, Adelbrand would know, and know to count it against him.

After his questions have been answered, Adelbrand excuses himself and heads towards the shrine, to inspect it and to pray.

Dumnbunny
Jul 22, 2014
Luc

Another Brithini! There is definitely some mystery here.

Luc chats for a moment with the talar. "I would like to visit this Ezokite School and its nearby temple. How far away is it? I'll attend the dinner tonight; perhaps I'll go in the morning. When I go, I'll take you up on your offer of a guard. The presence of such may keep the natives from doing anything regretable."

After leaving the talar's company, Luc, with his hound at his side, heads for the Shrine to the Invisible God Ronalio had pointed out, there to introduce himself, pay his respects and spend some time in meditation.

Tindalos
May 1, 2008
Daros, Adelbrand, Luc
"Most of the Rokari left, but there are still a few in town. The others have traveled to the great mire east of here. They've set up a village they name New Arvonwal, at the behest of their Watcher, Thristaine of Omberi."
The name doesn't particularly ring a bell to Adelbrand, which is unusual for an important position like Watcher.

"As for the Ekozite temple, they lie a few hours north. The wizards sometimes visit, although I do not know how they avoid the natives."

After these explanations, you all make your way to the temple. It is made primarily out of mudbrick, like the rest of the town, but you can see areas where proper stones have been laid, to make the temple truly worthy of the name.

Within it, illumination is provided by a skylight and several oil lamps burning. A man wearing the garb of a Reader is kneeling before a stone-carved boat. The temple was obviously built by Navigationalists.

Meanwhile Daros wracks his mind to recall all has heard, whether rumours or decrees regarding Ronalio.
Daros rolls Quinpolic League 13 to remember rumours. 5 vs 15. A Minor Victory.
The name finally rings a bell. You remember hearing of him as a noble leading a band of soldiers, presumably the lion society warriors who surround him now. He ended up being granted land on Giraine and the title of Baron by the Duke of Pasos after some unpleasantness involving the death of one of the counts of Pasos.

Dagram, Taretax
Dagram pulls Taretax off to the barracks to go slumming. Soon enough you find one barrack house which has been converted into a tavern by the workers and soldiers. Interestingly, you find them mixing quite freely with each other, despite most of them being Lion society members. In fact one table with two of them invites you over. The warrior introduces himself as Boamund, while the worker's name is Johar. They share some drinks with you, a local brew which is foul, but serviceable.

Talmakos, Neleos, Zarasha
Meanwhile the others follow Ronalio back to his home.

Responding to Neleos' inquiry "Yes, another wizard of Arolanit, as blue as they come, came ashore a month ago. He stayed here for a day then head out north with a large box he carried. I couldn't tell you more, as I prefer not to inquire into things that are beyond me."

Retreating to the rather more comfortable questions of Talmakos, he brightens slightly. "I'm originally from Pithdaros, as you might guess" a smile creeps to his lips, "but with my older brother inheriting our land, I instead went out fight for justice across Seshnela. I even traveled to the lands around Safelster a few years back. I was gifted this land as an honour maybe three years ago. And I've been working to make it flourish ever since. As for family, my wife and son are with me." he gestures to the other Manor as you approach, and a hint of sadness enters his voice "That would be their manor over there."

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Talmakos

"Safelster?" Talmakos says, "I've heard those Arkati barbarians are quite disputatious!" After hearing about the other mansion, Talmakos rushes forward in conversation, apparently unhearing of the melancholy in Ronalio's voice: "Ah, it is good for a talar to learn how to manage a household on his own, before being placed in larger responsibilities! Perhaps they will join us for dinner tonight, then?"

drat the (emotional) torpedoes, full speed ahead!

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Neleos took a deep breath, and then exhaled. He walked in silence for a while, before finally answering Ronalio. "Indeed, I would say that not asking about it shows an unexpected wisdom in you. If he has left the town, than I shall do the same tomorrow. I will still keep lodgings in this town, for the time being."

In his mind, meanwhile, Neleos was trying desperately to remain calm. "What is another Brithini doing here?! Could he be an exile like myself? I will need some raw power for this, I might have to kill him if he is not willing to help me..."

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

Dagram
Hero Points: 3

Accepting the local swill, Dagram responds, "Now this is a fine welcome, name's Dagram." A drink is raised in salute to the warrior. "Never was sure how you lot managed all that time around the Talar, always leave me nervous I'd bow in the wrong order or the like. Still, small price to pay if all goes well. Gotta' figure a place like this has all sorts of opportunities." Dagram fishes around in his pack for a moment, producing a cup with some rattling dice within. "Speaking of, don't suppose Tholos has any problems that need solving? Wouldn't want to rely on the hospitality of good men like yourself when I could be paying my way."

Stretch the Truth 18 to convince my new friends that I just want to be a good productive citizen.

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

With Ronalio stopped at his manor, Zarasha allowed herself to keep moving. She desperately wanted to investigate this other manor, but she decided to wait until nightfall to avoid suspicion. Instead, she made her way up to the shrine with her easy, un-rushed gait.

Dumnbunny
Jul 22, 2014

Luc

Not wanting to disturb the Reader, Luc quietly enters the shrine and makes his way to the stone-carved boat. There he motions for Halifor to remain still, kneels down and begins meditating on the Mysteries of the Invisible God.

advokat
Nov 17, 2012
Adelbrand examines the shrine with obvious distaste, but nonetheless kneels to meditate for a short while on his current duty - though making sure not to face the ship in the process. What silly, parochial nonsense - seafaring people praying before a ship. But this is as good a place as any, I suppose.

Upon completion, he looks to see if the Reader is still there. If so, and if the man is done with his heretical ritual, the Rokari moves to make an introduction. Making a sign of the Law Rune, he repeats the same words he said earlier: "I am Adelbrand, Knower of the Rokari," followed by new ones: "And who are you, Reader?"

If the Reader is already gone, he takes quick stock of the people who are there, noting them for future purposes, then heads out to walk around the town and see its state for himself.

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
Taretax

Looking on through the shoulders of his shipmates, Taretax winces in discomfort at the sight of Zarasha's theatrics in front of Ronalio and decides that he can suddenly see something very interesting in the exact opposite direction. While inspecting the cloud that looks a bit like a toad, he finds himself lost in thought at the prospects this island can bring, he thinks about his goals; to be an excellent fisherman, to settle down with a good worker woman, to live peacefully without people questioning his way (the proper way) of doing things, and to avoid giving two-thirds of the food he catches to a man the size of a walrus...

Dagram interrupts his meandering and hazy thoughts with his very sensible notion of getting away from this silly spectacle in favour of getting drinks. "Ta for this" he says sincerely "I doesn't have much, terms o' brass and that like, but if tha likes a cooked fish, I'd treat thee to supper", he looks at Dagram in a way which suggests that sooner or later he'll be repaid whether he likes it or not, then claps him round the shoulder and grins as they walk off to the barracks talking about nothing or nonsense- whichever seems more pertinent.

'The barracks' may once have served soldiers the equipment they need for battle and arguably it still does, for what does one need but a cold brew before times get tough? But there wasn't much in terms of armour and weapons nor drills and sergeants, which meant the atmosphere was a lot more comfortable than Taretax would have expected and not too dissimilar from the pub by his old fief. He sits down next to the two beckoning them over, "'ey up Boamund, Johar" he nods at each of them and slightly raises his tankard in thanks "Name's Taretax. We're new off t' skip like, if tha couldn't know by our reekin' of sea an' wood, heh". While Dagram talks to the other soldier, Taretax takes the opportunity to talk about work to Johar "How does tha get by then? Reckon I'll set up home by sea for fishin' like, that's me trade. The guild back 't 'yam were reet daft buggers. I hope they're better in these parts..."

Taretax asks Johar about the organisation and make up of the local Order of Shipwrights, about his opinions of Giraine's settlements and their rulers and about temporary lodgings for workers for tonight.

Tindalos
May 1, 2008
Talmakos, Neleos
Ronalio bows to Neleos "Then I will arrange two of my guards to accompany you as an honour guard. Unless you have made other arangements?"

Then he turns to Talmakos and smiles slightly, "Ah, you misunderstand, the manor is my wife's, my son is not yet an adult. It's just an arrangement we came to during my campaigning."

Dagram, Taretax
Dagram's rolls Stretch the truth 18. 18 vs 12. Minor Victory.
Boamund becomes positively enthusiastic as the dice come out, and soon a few others join in as well. "Well, if you're looking for work, I hear the plantations and farms could use some help. Some of those scla, sca. What was the term that wizard used? The winged horrors from the east. Occasionally one of them comes over here and grabs a lamb or kid to carry back to their nest."

"Or the cliff toads from the range up north." Johar adds. "Also bodyguard work. The frog folk keep attacking the Reader when he goes to visit the Ekozite temple. And it's not easy for any proper wizard either." He turns to Taretax, "Oh speaking of the Reader, he's who you'll wanna speak to 'bout the shipwright's guild. As well as running the shrine, he keeps the guildies from getting ignored. When he isn't badmouthing Ron that is."

Daros, Adelbrand, Luc, Zarasha
"A Rokari Knower? Is Ronalio trying to insult me! I asked he send for a Knower to lead the community and he sends for a..." the Reader attempts to regain his composure. "Ahem. I am Rubert, Reader for the Shipwright guild, and unfortunate lackey of the so-called Baron. I suppose he wants to hand over this temple to your ministrations. I do not see why he continues to attempt to reach out to your kin!"

The Reader's voice disturbs Luc and Halifor's meditations, and Zarasha can hear them from outside. It doesn't sound like Adelbrand and Rubert are going to get on.

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

Zarasha slips into the shrine. Her keen sense of danger tells her that something amusing is going to happen between Adelbrand and this Reader, so she kneels down towards the back to watch. She keeps her head bowed in prayer, and tries to stop the smirk from crawling across her face.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Daros

The anger of the Reader disturb's Daros's meditation, and he comes over between them, with soothing words. "Peace, Reader Rubert. Would you quarrel here, of all places? Besides, I don't believe the Rokari was sent by the Baron, but he came here for his own purposes. Were you?", he asks, turning to address Adelbrand.

advokat
Nov 17, 2012
Adelbrand frowns. For a moment he almost feels tempted to take advantage of this momentary confusion to further his mission... But, no. If heresy on this island can be defeated, which was beyond his wildest dreams in any case, it would need to be done in a forthright fashion. Deception and intrigue are the tools of those who do not have the ultimate truth on their side.

"That is correct, I have simply come to examine your... temple. Whatever I may prefer, I doubt your talar would give it to me when most of his subjects here are not of my sect," he says appeasingly, before looking around the building again, noticing that they had disturbed the people there. "It would be better if we continued this outside."

Dumnbunny
Jul 22, 2014
Luc

Halifor makes an annoyed sound. Luc, already pulled from his meditations, reaches out a hand to calm him. "Relax", he whispers. "See, they're leaving." Luc returns to his meditations, leaving Adelbrand and Rubert to their discussion.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

Dagram
Hero Points: 3

"Flying monsters and frog men," Dagram says. "Sounds like a laugh. I'll have to take a look. Tomorrow that is, not going anywhere 'till after your lord's dinner party."

Draining the last of his swill, he continues, "Speaking of which, suppose I ought to start over there. Best not to keep my betters waiting."

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Talmakos

Talmakos nods, though he's not sure why they'd build a second mansion if they're in the same place. "Well, lead on, Ronalio," he says, expectant for the feast.

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
Taretax

"We had right difficulties wi' half-beasts back on t' Coast" Taretax briefly interjects into the conversation about mercenary work to take the opportunity to show off his charm anklet, he slaps his foot upon the table between the tanks of beer and grins "'t may look like a bit of string wi' cobble tied on, and it is! But the bastards wouldn't touch tha with it on 'nymore than a lady touches old eggs", he put his feet back on the ground having sufficiently showed off and downs the last of his drink. "Well lads, Dagram's right, we'd best be off. We doesn't want to put sour faces on yellows. Right nice to meet thee, if tha ever wants for grub, come my way and I'll sort 't out".

Taretax heads off to the feast either following Dagram or on his own, thoroughly looking forward to some good food.

Tindalos
May 1, 2008
Fireday/Movement Week/Sea Season

Talmakos, Neleos
Ronalio smiles, more brightly this time. "Welcome honoured guests to my home." The two soldiers guarding his manor open the doors, and then lead you through to to a small courtyard, filled with flowers and other fragrant plants.

"Please, make yourself comfortable", he gestures towards a set of wooden benches. "I will send out a musician to entertain you while I make sure dinner is satisfactory."

He then backs out of the courtyard to head towards what smells like the kitchens.

Dagram, Taretax
As you leave the former-barracks/now-tavern, the sky is beginning to cloud over, and the sun has begun its descent to the west.
It doesn't take you long to reach there, and when you do you spot a young pithdaran boy, maybe just into his second decade hanging around the walls, trying find somewhere to hoist himself up.

Daros, Adelbrand, Luc, Zarasha
Rubert calms himself. "You are right. Even he is not so mad as to renounce the Ascended Ones and join the Rokari", he's still calm himself, but still is not happy to see Adelbrand.
"Still, you have disturbed my meditations, and the day is not infinite. I will return to them." He makes the Rune of Law with his hands and returns to the boat-altar.

Not too long after that, a worker appears and goes around to each of you, including Zarasha, silently gets your attention and tells you that the feast is nearly ready, and invites you to Ronalio's manor.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Neleos simply nods and finds a suitable place in the benches and sits down. He makes sure he is far way from Talmakos and while he sits he looks around the place, trying to get a feel for it.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Talmakos

Taking a seat, Talmakos tries to keep an eye on Neleos while looking like he's not watching the Brithini. Waiting for the musician to arrive, Talmakos tries to broach some kind of conversation. "What sorts of entertainment do the Brithini indulge in, zzaburi?"

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
Taretax

"'ey up lad!" Taretax calls out to the boy "Does tha fancy a shove up?"

I'll give him a hand up, and then reach up to him to see if he'll help me up too

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Friar John posted:

Talmakos

Taking a seat, Talmakos tries to keep an eye on Neleos while looking like he's not watching the Brithini. Waiting for the musician to arrive, Talmakos tries to broach some kind of conversation. "What sorts of entertainment do the Brithini indulge in, zzaburi?"

With ignoring Telmakos a seemingly impossible endeavor, Neleos slowly turned towards the man, and spoke with a low voice, each coming out with a sharpness that could probably cut through bread. "The entertainment of our people is of no concern to you." his brow furrowed as he continued ""Had you at least the barest idea of the laws of society and the World, you would also be aware that I, as a Zzaburi, do not concern myself with entrainment. It is for other castes to create and enjoy."

With that, Neleos turned his head way form Talmakos, staring intently at a column on the opposite side of the courtyard, bluntly refusing to look at the noble.

Jenx fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Aug 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Talmakos

Talmakos lets out the breath he had been holding in. "You must have lots of friends back in Arolanit," he mutters, more to himself than to Neleos, but he also doesn't try very hard to say it quietly.

• Locked thread