Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!
Talmakos

Talmakos puts his hand up for a moment as he swallows the food in his mouth. "Ah! That helps put my mind at ease greatly. It would have been quite distressing to arrive and learn that the fief was underwater!" It takes all of Talmakos' strength to not pull out the ancient charter and start heading north right then. "Perhaps after dinner I might assist you and your scribe with the searching?" He takes another drink of wine. "I'd also be interested to see some of the old codices and scrolls you recovered. The libraries of home could desperately use some corrected copies of certain texts -- of course, only with your consent."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!

Neleos

When Isobel comes to Neleos, he simply looks at her for a bit, then looks back at Ronalio. "The matter of a child's future is to be discussed with the child's father." He looked at Isobel again. "A child's mother might also be present, but I will not talk with you on such important matters."

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.

Zarasha takes the noble's hand as she hops down. She bows deeply.

"Of course, silken mistress. This one is humbled to meet one such as you."

She takes her seat and turns back to her food, but not before winking at Taretax.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Daros

Daros bows his head at Isobel's greeting. "Greetings to the Invisible God within you, my Lady", he says, then turns his attention back to Lord Ronalio. "My Lord,", he says, "I personally trade in luxury goods....spices, wines, fine fabrics, exotic foods, gemstones; items that are small with a high margin. I do, however, have contacts who can provide more mundane items: staple foodstuffs, livestock, tools, things like that. It might be best if you told me what you thought you might need and what items the island produces, and then I'll be able to let you know if I can provide it. As for right now, in my holds, I have pepper and chilies for your kitchen, and rings, necklaces and silks to adorn you and your wife. I also have brandy, all the way from Safelester. Brandy from Safelester, they say, is among the best."

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
Taretax

Taretax whips his head away from Zarasha, his cheeks burn with embarrassment but he tries to keep his face stoic and poised for well, something less exciting.
He asks one of the Workers serving food to the tables how he might be able to talk to the Reader as he's new to the island and wants to establish himself.

Tindalos
May 1, 2008
Neleos and Isobel
"Do not think of me as Midos' mother. Think of me as the ears and lips of my lord, Ronalio of Tholos. I am merely acting on his orders, and will speak only his will" She bows before the wizard, to show her respect.
"If I am not acceptable, then you may have to wait for my husband's ear. While I do love my son, even as a mother I understand that he is secondary to the duties of caste, and my husband must do all he can to ensure this land prospers."

Taretax and the Servants
Glad to speak with one of their fellows, the workers all offer advice (occasionally contradictory) about where to find the Reader, but without too much trouble you manage to get to the certainties.
"Well, tomorrow's Wildday. He's not likely to be at the temple until the evening, until then he spends his time down amongst the fishermen. They haven't built a proper guild-house, so they use a large fishing shack by the beach."

Ronalio, Talmakos, and Daros.
Ronalio considers Talmakos' words. "The scribes are quite protective of their documents, but I am sure I can convince them to allow you to inspect them. And of course, we would be willing to make copies of any important documents for trade with the coast.", his quick glance at Tizona betrays his ironlust. It's obvious what he would want in return for his records.
"Of course, there is another potential record source. The Ekozite temple. Their library is said to be wonderous, and their magics are potent. They might have what we do not."

"And as for trade. We could do with more essentials, more grain in case of bad harvest, good solid bronzework as well. We're still trying to get settled, and so much of what we grow here is basic. We farm goats, and harvest rice and rye. And this is of course ignoring the fishing around here. For things worthy as a merchant such as yourself, we have several strange creatures only found here. And we can always set up a trade route to Mudlarket." Ronalio falls silent for a moment, as if unsure whether to mention it. "There is also... the Tholos."

Tindalos fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Aug 15, 2014

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Neleos

Frowning for a bit (well, frowning more anyway), Neleos does turn to Isobel in the end. "Very well, perhaps this could be useful. The Law does permit you to answer my questions regarding your son, but the final decision will be that of your husband."

He waits for Isobel to take a seat across him, and then continues "Now then, I have questions regarding the child - What age is he? I know he must be his father's fourth son, but what of his father? How many brothers does he have before him? What Zzaburi have talked with the child? Has he participated in any magical rites and spells?"

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Talmakos

Talmakos pats Tizona lightly. "I understand you well, Ronalio," he says quite friendly, "we of the Coast are happy to trade, but what you may get from such Dwarf-metal may be more than you desire. Iron has a cost to it, even beyond the obtaining of it." His voice is low, half-lost in memory.

"But what is this Tholos?" he asks after shaking his head. "Are we not there already?" he smiles, preferring camaraderie to warnings.

Dumnbunny
Jul 22, 2014
Luc

Luc catches Ronalio's mention of the Ekozite Temple to Talmakos. Seems I may have Talmakos' company at the temple. I'm not sure how I feel about that; he's still an unknown quantity.

advokat
Nov 17, 2012
Adelbrand sits back and does his best to follow the important conversations at the table: Ronalio and the Hrestoli talars (if they may be called that), Neleos and Ronalio's wife. The former is a matter of duty; to do his task here, it will surely help if he understood their arrangements, petty and trivial though they might be from a zzaburi's perspective. The latter represents a more personal interest - there is always much to learn by listening to a Brithini, but at the same time the turn of the conversation seems to increasingly remind Adelbrand of something from what is now quite distant past. He could not be sure, but it still makes him feel a certain sympathetic interest.

He has his own questions to ask Ronalio, of course, but a wizard can afford to wait while talars take care of more temporal matters. The Knower stops eating, however, having had his fill.

Tindalos
May 1, 2008
Ronalio, Talmakos, and Daros
"Ah, Tholos? It's a name from old Seshnegi, dating back to the dawn. Our town is named after the tholos itself, an ancient tomb of unknown providence. While we haven't gone there since the town was rebuilt, records have shown that treasures have been dug up around it." he looks to Adelbrand warily. "While I do not agree with robbing the tombs of our ancestors, this is no Malkioni structure."

Neleos and Isobel
Isobel is taken aback by the Brithini's questions. She rallies quickly and spouts off some answers. "He is twelve years of age. As such, he has not been taken to temple, although the usual rites of health have been performed when he was sickly. I can fetch our healer if you want to question her."
She then goes quiet, Neleos has to lean in closer to hear her continue.
"We have not been blessed with more children, although to be more specific, they did not live passed childbirth. This is why Midos is important to Ronalio, he will inherit this town after his father's death, and a wizard may not rule. This is why Ronalio is worried, for without a proper ruler, this town will wither and die. He asks what you offer in exchange for his failure of his lordly duties?"

advokat
Nov 17, 2012
Adelbrand nods slowly. "But where is this tholos? I do not remember seeing a tomb in the city."

The Knower pauses briefly, pondering. "I also wish to know more about the situation with my coreligionists, talar. It seems you are more well-disposed towards the followers of Rokar than the Reader I met in the temple, at least. What was the cause of the breach?" Much though he might feel uneasy about the situation himself, the zzaburi knows that Rokari and members of other sects manage to live side by side in places like Pithdaros, more or less peacefully. He hesitates slightly before asking: "And what can you tell me about the Watcher, Thristaine of Omberi? What part did he play in it?"

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Talmakos

"Something that has not yet divulged all of its secrets over so many years denotes powerful protections. Whatever was placed there must either be very valuable or very dangerous. I think you have shown great foresight, Ronalio, by not taking the pickax to the structure yet."

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Neleos

Neleos shakes his head. "No, calling for the healer would not be required - if the boy had been tainted by misused magic I would have seen it." As Isobel starts talking quiet, Neleos leans closer to her, pausing before adding in a quiet tone.

"Though perhaps you might want to talk with her more, if your children have died like that. It is obvious she doesn't know the proper rites for the situation."

"As for the child..." Neleos looks at Midos, then at Ronalio before turning his head back to Isobel. "He will not rule properly. He is the fourth son of his father, his duty, as accorded by the Law, is to be one of Zzabur's followers."

He pauses for a few minutes, apparently staring into nothingness, lost in thought. Abruptly he continues, as if nothing had happened. "Your son will be Zzaburi of much greatness. He is destined for it, it can be seen in his very being. He will become, one day, a match for me and my fellows, and this alone should be enough for you and your husband. As for this island, and this town? They will perish in time, as all mortal things perish. Your son will be something more, and he will remain after you and your husband have died."

Tindalos
May 1, 2008
Isobel and Neleos
"In the Perfect World, it would be enough. But here, and now, my husband must be a Talar.
We know we are imperfect beings, and will only suffer for this. He begs of you, in exchange for teaching our son, teach us to improve ourselves. Or rather the sons of others.
We will not ask you to make them wizards, I know that would be too much. But I have heard, in the Perfect World, some of the workers read and wrote, they knew the sacred symbols and could act as scribes for their betters. Ronalio begs that when you teach our son the sacred runes, you show others how to do likewise, that they may aid our town by acting as scribes for others.
If this is acceptable, he shall not only grant you Midos as apprentice, but we shall build a tower here for you, and supply you with all you need."

Talmakos, Adelbrand, Ronalio, and Daros
"The Tholos is not in town, down the coast towards Toadhaven by half a key mile. And I thank you for your praise Master Talmakos. It was suggested that we make use of its stone for construction work, but I instead ordered quarries set up on the escarpment on the northern shore."

"As for the Rokari." Ronalio looks directly at Adelbrand, and attempts to speak as calmly as possible "To be honest, many were latecomers to Giraine and Tholos, and rejected that those who had come here first had been granted fields. They claim the island of Giraine is part of Tan-, the Kingdom of Seshnela, and that we have no rights to farm them at all. I offered the unowned farmsteads to them, but under Thristaine, they were not inclined to listen. Sometimes they claim I have hidden the horns of a Broo beneath my hair." he allows a smile to cross his lips. "If you worry as well, I can bare my head for your inspection."

"Thristaine himself is very passionate about his beliefs. He claims responsibility for all of Arvon, above and beneath the waves, under the auspices of the Rokari church. Unfortunately he cannot claim the seat of the Watcher of Arvonwal while the city lies drowned, and so he has set up his temple upon stilts off the shores of New Arvonwal. If I may be candid, after meeting the man, I worry about whoever appointed him Watcher. He does not seem suited for the role."

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Neleos

Lost deep in thought, Neleos remained absolutely motionless for well over 5 minutes. Were it not for his blinking eyes, one could easily imagine the zzaburi was dead. He then turned his head again towards Isobel and replied. "You have no clue how true the words you speak are. This arrangement is more than agreeable. I will teach people of other castes how to read and write, but I will be the one to decide who will be taught." He looks towards Midos. "Your son will be apprenticed to me, and he will be thought in the Proper Way. The rest of our agreement will be discussed at a later date."

After a while, he continues. "But such agreement can not be made with the mother of a child. His father must be the one to give him to me."

Jenx fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Aug 14, 2014

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Talmakos

Talmakos sniffs loudly at Ronalio's tale. His desire to insult the Rokari Watcher is tempered by the fact that he is a guest at a welcoming feast, and that to insult another under Ronalio's protection would be shameful for both. And so he bites his tongue, but he clearly takes some enjoyment over the fact that the Tanisorians are not in Tholos.

advokat
Nov 17, 2012
A vague frown forms on Adelbrand's face. While still following Neleos' conversation with Isobel with one ear, the Knower is now focused on his own conversation with Ronalio, understandably. "That will not be necessary, talar," he responds to Ronalio after a furtive glance at his head, and continues in his deliberate, well-considered tone. "But I will need to speak with Thristaine in person, the sooner the better, so as to hear out his perspective and see if any compromise might be arranged. From what I've heard, travel on this island is quite perilous. Could you provide me with assistance in getting there?" The Rokari rubs his beard, thinking. "How far away is this New Arvonwal from here?"

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Davos

"If the tholos is not Malkioni, I don't see the problem with investigating it, myself, other than the practical problems. But we have wizards here, so I'd ask them, are there any religious restrictions on investigating a pagan tomb?", Davos asks, his mind still taken up by the tholos and the possibilities for riches found there.

advokat
Nov 17, 2012
"It is not an advisable course of action," Adelbrand replies slowly. "Such an investigation would encounter many dangers, both of the immediate and obvious sort and the more subtle and insidious spiritual threat that any remaining pagan artifacts and emanations may pose. That being said, there is no explicit prohibition against it as such," the Knower concedes reluctantly. He may have given different advice to a Rokari lord, urging him to greater caution and elaborating on the threats involved that would outweigh any material gain, but he could not bring himself to care that much about the life and soul of this Hrestoli half-merchant half-talar. He was already lost, after all, and quite unlikely to seek to return to the fold.

advokat fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Aug 16, 2014

Tindalos
May 1, 2008
Neleos and Isobel

She nods, bows, and goes off to enjoy what food remains.

Adelbrand, Daros, Ronalio, and Talmakos

"Well, New Arvonwal's around ten key miles down the coast. You can also find a fishing boat to go there, which may be safer as the land route takes you into the Great Mire. Plus, of course the natives may not be so thrilled with a wizard. And the Mire is sacred to them. If a land route is preferred, I will be happy to arrange transport and protection."

Fireday/Movement Week/Sea Season
While conversations continue, the feast has mostly wound down, and with the servants coming around to bring lanterns, Ronalio announces his retirement to his bedchambers.
Servants direct you to the guest rooms in Ronalio's manor, while Midos and Isobel retire to their own.

Wildday/Movement Week/Sea Season
The new day brings with it the scent of rain and overcast skies. Last night's clouds have burst, and the the paths have turned to mud. A simple and considerably smaller breakfast awaits you in one of Ronalio's meeting halls.

"I am sorry we could not meet again in the garden, but hopefully this should be the last heavy rain before Fire Season." he seems somewhat tired. He may not be looking forward to handing his son over to Neleos.
"Still, even when it rains, we still have our jobs to do. I have arranged conveyances for the wizards to protect them from the mud. And I have arranged three of my soldiers to accompany any who wish to venture out of Tholos, wherever they wish to travel."
At this signal, the five Lion soldiers enter the room and stand to attention. Taretax and Deliam recognize Boamund from the previous day. However, he's far too disciplined to show any awareness of them while standing guard behind Ronalio.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Neleos

As he finishes eating breakfast, Neleos says "My plans did not involve this much rain, so I will not be leaving today, and as such I will not require any guards. I will do my work in the bedchamber provided for me."

After a while, Neleos turns to Taretax and motions for him to approach. "You will come and meet me in my chambers after lunch. There are things I will discuss with you."

Jenx fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Aug 16, 2014

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Talmakos

Talmakos stretches his arms and makes sure he has his codices as he steps out of his bed. About as rough as his chambers at home, he is still grateful for an actual bed.

"Ronalio, I would much desire to pinpoint the site of the lands I am looking for today. If you might direct me to your scribe and maps?"

After Neleos leaves Talmakos puts his hand on Taretax's shoulder: "You don't need to listen to him, fellow."

phone post for now!

advokat
Nov 17, 2012
Adelbrand has reached a decision overnight. On a personal level he had been feeling rather conflicted; while going by sea was likely quicker and a good way of avoiding overland dangers, it posed its own threats as well - and it made the Knower queasy just thinking about going back on a ship so soon. A shameful weakness, but he had to be honest with himself on this count. Going by land seemed rather foolhardy, but he felt surer there - again, a subjective preference.

In the end, of course, the deciding factor was Duty. His duty was to investigate the island and report back on anything that was amiss or threatening. A rather open-ended task, and yet a necessary one. It would be better, then, to go by land and see first hand the dangers that he had only read or heard of before.

Before speaking to Ronalio, however, Adelbrand addresses the Brithini, faintly irked by his making arrangements with Taretax first (before reminding himself that surely Neleos had good reasons for it, and that he was not Taretax's superior in the greater scheme of things, to ask to be given preference): "Though I am doubtful about this rain, my current duty would take me away from Tholos as soon as possible. Could we speak before I depart?"

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

advokat posted:

"Though I am doubtful about this rain, my current duty would take me away from Tholos as soon as possible. Could we speak before I depart?"

Turning his head towards Adelbrand, Neleos stays quiet for a while, before replying. "Yes. You will come talk to me after breakfast."

advokat
Nov 17, 2012
"Very well," Adelbrand nods in agreement, satisfied.

Then he goes to find Ronalio: "I would travel to New Arvonwal overland, talar, after I finish my preparations and take care of remaining business here. Guilliam, my bodyguard, will accompany me, however I would prefer to have one or two additional guards and the conveyance that you promised, and require a guide," he lists his needs with more mechanical precision than haughtiness. "I have made note of your hospitality and willingness to cooperate, talar. Perhaps I could keep the tensions from getting worse, if nothing else," the wizard adds, in a concession to courtesy that nonetheless could not make him promise too much.

Dumnbunny
Jul 22, 2014
Luc

Upon waking, Luc dresses, checks on his grimoires carried in a satchel under his long blue coat, and checks on Halifor. He enjoys the smell of rain, but worries about the mud and his tall shoes. He seeks out breakfast in the meeting hall, then Ronalio.

"I appreciate your hospitality, and I will take you up on your offer of conveyance and guard. I intend to visit the Ekozite Temple, and would like to leave as soon as possible; the weather will make for slow travel."

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
Dagram
Hero Points: 3

"Well much as I'd like 'ta do my part and clear that ruin for ya' by my lonesome, I think I oughta' put that off for a day or two m'lord," Dagram offers with as much formality as he can muster. "Now if any of ya' could point the way to where yer reader might be around now, I hear he's got a frog problem."

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
Taretax

Taretax had spent most of his life sleeping on a hammock in a ramshackle house one could generously call a homely shed, a few weeks sleeping rough, a year in a house built by himself (relatively nice but rather austere) and a night in a boat which allowed him several minutes sleep before he was called upon to help haul ropes on the main deck. Ronalio's Dronar suite was comparatively heavenly- straw mattresses, standing room, his own chamberpot, a clean woollen blanket, it even had a small beeswax candle in case he wanted to read books or admire paintings or whatever activities rich people got up to at night. This is exactly how he ought to have been living after he'd followed those tax collectors so many years ago.
After having a very good night's sleep, Taretax felt refreshed and awake, he practically skipped down to the hall where breakfast was being held, ready to take on whatever it is this island had to offer... as it were, what it had to offer was a stern and scary wizard with blue skin.
He had no idea what the man wanted with him and only nodded slowly in response, hoping that how he wasn't going to be blamed for arriving late or for Zarasha's wild behaviour or for something else which only wizards are aware of... he half considered just trekking to the next city onwards to avoid being turned into a toad or tapped or cursed, but after witnessing the wizard's teleportation magic, he knew it would be pointless.

He hastily gulps down some bits of breakfast, making sure to sneakily wrap some of the nicer morsels in his headscarf for later and heads down to the beach where he hopes he'll be able to find the Reader.

Taretax walks through the docks in order to get to the beach in case he's helping out there and asks locals to point him out. If he meets the Reader he speaks thus- "'ey up. New in town, name's Taretax, Guild o' Shipwrights" he waves around his grimoire "'eard tha was in need of a bit of 'elp. I've strong arms and been fishin' since before I could crawl. I could help thee build guildhouse, if tha'd like. Or catch fish. Don't know about twouble wi' frog-men, but I could help with that too..." he ponders for a second "I've till dinnertime afore a blue 'un brays us, so I've only a few hours. If I'm still alive after; tha'll find thysel' wi' a better worker than any. No 'ffence to thy crew"

Tindalos
May 1, 2008
Ronalio finishes his breakfast and pushes it to one side before addressing Dagram. "If I do not miss my guess, Rubert, our Reader, will today be down at the docks. As well as maintaining our temple, he also watches over the shipwright's guild there. As to the frog problem, there's a number of them on the island, but the natives usually deal with them."

He then turns towards Luc and Adelbrand. "Speaking of them, they are probably the best guides to the island. Boamund, would you find some outside who would act as guides for our guests?" The soldier salutes, and then leaves the room.

Ronalio continues, this time direct to Adelbrand. "I would warn you, the natives are superstitious men who have forgotten much of what they once knew. While the ones who well outside our town are more... openminded, their kin in the great mire are less so. While I am confident in your abilities, it would be a sin for me not to advise you to be careful out there, and avoid any diversions."

With that he notices Isobel is waiting just outside the door. "Ah, I see my wife is here. Master Neleos, I believe we have some business to attend to."

Taretax and Rubert
The reader bows before Taretax and makes the sign of Law. "Ah, another new arrival. Are you with that foolish Rokari?" he squints at the fisherman with his face slick with rain. "Hmm, I doubt it. Well met, I am Rubert, Reader of the sacred mysteries of Navigationalism, and leader of the order of shipwrights, sailors and fishermen. You seem to be aware of that yourself though. Any help you can provide would be expected, and we've got some warm mat in the fishermen's barracks you can use."

He walks down the path to the docks carefully, taking every care not to slip in the mud along the way. "And as for the damned frog worshippers, I say the better we get some proper warriors here, the better we can chase them back into the mire. But of course, the Baron never listens to me."

Talmakos
While Ronalio busies himself with his wife's appearance, one of the servants clearing away the remains of breakfast hands his platteres and basket to another, then turns to Talmakos, bows, and says. "Noble lord. Baron Ronalio has instructed me to bring you to our records."
The servant leads Talmakos through the manor, passed a slightly worried looking Midos seated aways down the corridor, and finally they reach a records room.
The servant knocks, and the door opens a crack, revealing a pithdaran wearing an ink stained vest. "What is it!" he barks agitatedly, before spotting Talmakos. "Oh, sorry my lord. Ronalio did mention someone coming to investigate our records. I am Iubertus, scribe and scholar. And welcome to my home."
He opens the door entirely revealing a small library. In one corner a bench has been converted into a makeshift bed, accompanied by a large mound of scrolls.

"Now, exactly what did you want to know about Giraine?"

Tindalos fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Aug 18, 2014

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Neleos

"Yes, indeed." Neleos turns to Adelbrand as he gets up from his seat. "We will meet soon. You may wait in my room for me, I shall be there shortly." He then walks off with Ronalio and Isobel.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Talmakos

With a (very minor, to be fair) flourish, Talmakos brings out the codex that includes the land grant. Reverently he places it on the table and opens it to the ancient and weathered vellum that is the key to his journey here.

"I seek the location of Nether Ripon, and I have been told by my most gracious host Lord Ronalio that you can help me. As you can see, it was granted to my ancestor many years ago by the Emperor of the Land and Sea, and I intend to take up the post once more. Can you show me your maps, both new and old?"

advokat
Nov 17, 2012
"Your warning is noted, talar," Adelbrand nods. He has no intent of becoming distracted, and he trusts in the ability of the horali to protect him if need be.

With that, the Knower proceeds towards Neleos' chambers, there to meditate on a matter that troubles him and await the Brithini's return.

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
Taretax

"I 'eard about Navigationalism on skip over..." Taretax contemplates saying something about the matter but decides he's too ignorant about the sect to explain why it's wrong "Aye, 'eard about thissen o' course, may be fresh off skip but I ain't daft"

Taretax follows the Rubert down the path, seemingly unaware of the slippery mud "Them frogs won't be 'ny bother 'ny more I know. A grand warrior- Dagram was on skip wit' missen, if 'e comes thy way tha'll ne'er spy 'ny toads again" he grins at the man confidently and hopes that his vouch for his friend won't backfire, he doesn't want any more sour relations in the guild, especially after only just arriving.

He makes his way down to the dock, he figures if the Reader didn't mention the lack of a guildhouse it probably isn't his place to build a new one without instruction. He picks up his spear and dives deep into the water, swimming further and further out and getting as deep as he feels comfortable, he manipulates his body, moulding the basic essences of its being into a shape more suitable for diving and then with the power of magic, dives deeper than his ordinary body could.

Okay! I'm hoping to impress people with a truly large catch. I'm going to look for an impressive and edible sea creature to bring back to shore. Using 7W Life as a Fisherman to find a suitably impressive creature, augmented by 17 Breathe Water so I can dive for it and not drown.
I'm sure this idea is very sensible and won't end in tears.

Chatrapati fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Aug 18, 2014

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
Dagram
Hero Points: 3

Offering what he hopes is an appropriate bow, Dagram starts off towards the dock. Though a nagging voice in the back of his mind screams for him to sprint away from the den of wizards and highly connected nobles as fast as his legs can carry him, he manages to keep his pace to a brisk walk. As he puts distance between himself and the large collection of people who could make his new life on Giraine very short and unpleasant his mood rapidly improves. So it is that he's nearly whistling as he trudges through the mud toward the most important looking man on the docks.

"Good morn' to ya'," he calls. "Hear I can find the reader 'round here somewhere. Story goes he's looking to hire a guard or two against the local frog folk. Don't suppose you'd be the right man?"

Dumnbunny
Jul 22, 2014
Luc

Luc, having finished his breakfast, lights a pipeful of kafl and is quickly lost in thought, contemplating the mysteries of The Red Book of Zzabur while he awaits his guide.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Neleos

A while after everyone has left (aside from those still waiting around), Neleos shows up again, Ronalio's son Midos walking besides him. Neleos turns to the boy, as they walk through the corridors. "Now then, child. Your studies will begin today, but not immediately. There are some matters to which I must attend to, which you are still inexperienced enough to participate in, else I would have had you accompany me. I believe that practical examples are the fastest way of teaching, and the few apprentices I have had before have proven this to be true."

Midos simply nods and asks what he should do. After some thought, Neleos answers "You will go to your chambers and find yourself some sturdy clothes, suitable for the weather outside. While we will not be leaving the town today, there are lessons to be learned here as well. After you have done this, you will come to me in my room, and we will leave. Now go."

As Midos rushes off to do as instructed, Neleos walks into his own room, and turns towards the waiting Adelbrand. "Now then, I understand you wished to discuss something with me?"

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.

When she woke up, Zarasha spent a long time staring outside, rolling the dried hibiscus between thumb and forefinger. The rain reminded her of the cold day in Safelster when she realised, almost without her noticing at all, that her heart had turned to stone.

She'd been contacted directly. That was risky. That left things open to interpretation. Was it meant to be that far and no further? Or was Zarasha to make contact again? She eventually decided that one face-to-face discussion couldn't hurt, and would clear the way for further work. She spent the rest of the morning keeping an eye on her contact's movements, following her in that careful way that would allay no suspicion, until she was sure they were finally safe to talk."

"So. Here I am. What were you talking about with the blueskin last night, anyway?"

Down With People fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Aug 20, 2014

Tindalos
May 1, 2008
Taretax and Rubert

Rubert nods. "That is good to hear. The sooner we can drive off the ones lurking around, the better". He doesn't seem to notice Taretax's smile, and continues on his way to an old fishing shack, which at least seems to be holding up well under the rain.

With the Reader departing, Taretax dives into the ocean, in hopes of making a good impression, a few fishermen readying their fishing boat look on in shock, but figure he must have a good reason for doing so.

Taretax rolls Life of a Fishermen, with a minor Augment from Breath Water for 13W, against a moderate resistance. 7 vs 19. Major Success for Taretax.

Most of the waters here are shallow, and he can still see the remains of some old buildings being slowly reclaimed by the deep. Fish swim where men once walked, and with the darkened clouds above, the seas are dark and grim.

After a few minutes search, Taretax finds a deeper region, several crevices forming a small web across a former plain. Diving towards it, he spots a shoal of fish rising out. Swimming quickly, the fish are obviously escaping a predator, one that soon emerges after them.

Taretax has never seen a horror like this off the castle coast. Either this is a grave danger, or a great opportunity. And as yet, the yard long predator has not noticed him, consumed with its chase with its prey.

Talmakos and Iubertus
The scribe's face lights up at the document. "By the Invisible God! A document from the reign of the Emperors?" he sits eagerly down to examine it with a small crystal dome. "Hmm. It appears genuine" he says after a minute or two's study. "My apologises, I meant no disrespect, but with the flight of so many noble families from their homes when the Balifids came to power, it's hard to be sure."

He stands up and walks over to a shelf covered in old tomes, checks the spine of each one before taking one in particular and heaving it back to the table. He places it next to the grant, and opens the book to a section of old lists.
"A large number of the old records were gone. And while I don't recall seeing Nether Ripon on any we have... ah!"
He points to a small section of text, and then slides the strange crystal dome over it. As if by wizardry, the text becomes larger, and Talmakos can make out the words. In what looks like first age Seshnegi.
"I think Nether Ripon may have been a later name for somewhere near old Rifton." he sees the name mean little to Talmakos. "Rifton was a small town built when the black trench was a mere canyon on the surface." he pulls on a small beard. "I'd wager that Nether Ripon was located to the south of that, near the northern escarpment of Giraine. There are some farms in the area. Maybe one of the farmers would know something about finding an old manor."

Dagram
The man looks Dagram over, considering something. "Yeah, you'll do. I'm not the Reader, but ol' Rubert's not the most chipper person. You're of the Croc' society? We're going to head over to Mudlarket later today, by boat, take them some of our spare grain, pick up some salvage. Of course, the frogfolk don't like us over by the Mire. So we might find a couple messing our boat up. You come along, protect us if there's an attack, drive 'em off. We'll give you first pick of anything interesting. Sure it's not what the lord'll give you for acting bodyguard to him, but ol' Ron don't mind too much if we hire our own helpers. That's one reason Rubert don't like him."

He gestures over to a small boat, looking like a re-purposed fishing vessel. It's nothing compared to the galley that brought you here, but it's laden with quite a few bags of grain.

Luc and Boamund

After around 10 minutes of smoking, meditation and waiting, the lion soldier returns, this time with a pair of cloaked men in tow.
"Pardon the cloaks. Not everyone in Tholos appreciates the native guides", he says as he bows deeply to Luc.

One of the men pulls back his hood and says "I bow t' divi- oh soddin' hell. E's a wizard." beneath the hood shows the face of a native, a pale brownish green, nowhere near Talmakos' bright shades, and wide set eyes. Along with the balding hair, you begin to understand the insulting label of "Frog Men".

Boamund turns to the native and whacks the back of his head. "Be respectful Danno." then turns back to Luc. "As our Lord says, the natives aren't too fond of wizards. But Danno'll listen." with that he turns back to Danno. "Listen, all you have to do is guide him to the Ekozite temple. It's an easy job. It's Ukvel you got to feel sorry for."

Danno thinks about things for a second, then bows to Luc once more. "I bow t' divine in ya. I'm rightly honoured t'take ya to the temple".

Zarasha and Isobel

Zarasha manages to find Isobel waiting in near the garden, watching the rain. There's no servants around, not wanting to get wet while working, so this affords an opportunity to speak honestly.
"I bow to the divine in you, my sister", Isobel sighs as she greats her. "He wished to take my son as an apprentice. To train him in the ways of the wizards of Brithos. It is not a happy day as a mother, but it was an opportunity for Tholos to grow." she smiles. "Do not worry, I will not send you up against a Brithini, at least not yet. He is providing a useful service. To be honest, I worry more about Rubert. He is undermining Ronalio with many of the workers. To be honest, I think he may have helped the rift with the Rokari worsen as well. If we could indeed find a better spiritual guide for Tholos things would be better."

"Tell me, what is your opinion on the Knower, Adelbrand?"

Tindalos fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Aug 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Talmakos

"Perfect!" Talmakos yells out. Carefully closing up the codex, he slides it beneath his yellow robes and tucks it safely into his belt. "Another day, I should like to go through your collection a while, for I can already see you have Iacopo's Fall of the Silver Knight, a text which my home has only the first half of. But today is for duty, not for pleasure!" Hardly containing himself, he bounds down the steps to find Ronalio. Bowing deeply to the other talar, Talmakos speaks with utmost sincerity. "My fellow lord, your hospitality and open-handedness has been exemplary. I shall be going north for now, to find my fief, just south of Rifton. But I will need to find a guide before then." When Ronalio suggests the Ekozite temple, and that a small group is already heading that way, he nods slowly. The Zzaburite Luc is a Rokari, but more importantly he is not from Tanisor.

After whistling for Trymir out a window, Talmakos finds the small group ready to leave. "If I might join you fellows? I'm heading north myself."

I'm ready to go, and will roll Trymir W1+1 to make sure the road to the Temple isn't too bad.

• Locked thread