Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Rides Naked posted:

For people who aren't familiar with his origins, he basically turned his/Sadie Plant's research unit in the 90s at Warwick into a Deleuze/jungle music cult:

http://energyflashbysimonreynolds.blogspot.com/2009/11/renegade-academia-cybernetic-culture.html

After being (obviously) run out for that he disappeared for a few years before re-emerging as a travel writer-cum-racist blogger in China. From Bataille to brain mass biotruths, or something like that.

While Lands recent leanings are disheartening, in some ways they are a logical reflection on his accelerationism. Fanged Noumena is still some good poo poo.

Danger has a new favorite as of 19:37 on Oct 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Jack Gladney posted:

She uses the words "I" and "my" as frequently as all other words. Did she actually have anything to do with Occupy?
She created the twitter account and registered the domain name. Beyond that...well it is apparently complicated:

The Daily Beast posted:

With one tweet—“This Twitter handle is now back under the management of its founder: @JustineTunney. Let’s start a revolution”—and an accompanying selfie of a short-haired, bespectacled transwoman sporting a statement necklace, the faceless revolution had a face.
[...]
“The movement lost the way,” she tweeted to Anonymous’s @YourAnonNews. “There were far too many people leeching off the movement to promote themselves and special interests. So I stepped in and stopped it,” she wrote in a second tweet.
And so on.

Rides Naked
Jun 4, 2006

Program, Whale, Program

Danger posted:

While Lands recent leanings are disheartening, in some ways they are a logical reflection on his accelerationism. Fanged Noumena is still some good poo poo.

Yeah well I'll admit to owning a numbered copy of FN. It's interesting in how it gives you a sense of the mid-nineties avant garde (like some of the wacky formal choices he makes), but in terms of actually doing productive things with the philosophical material I'll stick to the people like Ray Brassier who have built on this by attempting to naturalize areas of continental philosophy (metaphysics, mind) that would have previously been seen as sacrosanct areas of the a priori. Sorta parallel to Ladyman/Ross on the analytical side.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I don't want this thread to die so have the ultimate "Why don't the nice guys get the girl?" video from our friend Davis Aurini.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

1stGear posted:

I don't want this thread to die so have the ultimate "Why don't the nice guys get the girl?" video from our friend Davis Aurini.

Smoking in a forest! :wth: Well, holding a tab and very occasionally taking a drag.

Nice guys usually do get girlfriends. Dave just doesn't seem like a very nice guy.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

1stGear posted:

I keep waiting for him to sneak up on a woman, chloroform her, and then strip off her clothes - before putting them on and sneaking into the Bulgarian embassy to kill a visiting public figure. The turtlenecks just cover up his barcode.

edit:

quote:

Anita Bonghit1 week ago

Alot of your veiws are innacurate. This type if women you speak of, shallow mega sluts, they are not the overwhelming majority. And you seem to be judging women from what you see on tv, not day to day life. And you seem to be viewing males through rose tinted goggles. Men are far from the angelic beings you make them out to be.
Reply · 4
View all 8 replies

Davis M.J. Aurini1 week ago

+Anita Bonghit Bear with me for a moment. Pretend we lived in a world where talk show hosts made endless jokes about a woman who'd been raped and mutilated; who'd had her tits cut off by an angry ex-husband, who put them in the blender afterwards. Imagine Saturday Night Live doing a skit about how "She won't have to worry about breast cancer anymore! Hardy-har-har!" Then, when you point this out to me, I say "It's just a joke - none of my friends would rape and mutilate a woman!" You see what I'm saying here?

coyo7e has a new favorite as of 23:01 on Oct 30, 2014

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

11 minutes of not inhaling. I wonder how he feels about the cigarette tax.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

1stGear posted:

Is it wrong that one of the things that bothers me most is that this piece of poo poo can't even use a lighter properly?

e: Nope, now it's supposedly throwing away a lit cigarette in a forest like a loving idiot. At least commit to your bullshit visual premise you lazy rear end in a top hat.

sub supau has a new favorite as of 08:58 on Oct 31, 2014

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?

1stGear posted:

Please tell me I'm not the first one to find it hilarious how much he sounds like John Waters.

UnoriginalMind
Dec 22, 2007

I Love You

What the gently caress is he saying here? I've gone over this like four or five times and I can't make heads or tails of this analogy he's making.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

UnoriginalMind posted:

What the gently caress is he saying here? I've gone over this like four or five times and I can't make heads or tails of this analogy he's making.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_and_Lorena_Bobbitt

UnoriginalMind
Dec 22, 2007

I Love You

Ah yes. Misandry strikes again. So his argument is, if I understand this, because a woman cut a man's junk off and no one would suspect that would ever occur...women are sluts?

Clearly I need to watch the video after work.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

UnoriginalMind posted:

Ah yes. Misandry strikes again. So his argument is, if I understand this, because a woman cut a man's junk off and no one would suspect that would ever occur...women are sluts?

Clearly I need to watch the video after work.

He's saying people make jokes about that incident, as though there aren't countless offensive jokes about women.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
I only just realized his first name is Davis not David ahahaha what a weiner.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
Ah, justine Tunney

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

Swan Oat posted:

I only just realized his first name is Davis not David ahahaha what a weiner.

What is it with Americans and having surnames for first names? I swear I've seen loads on TV and the Internet with names like Hunter or Mackenzie or Kennedy.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
Aurini is Canadian you motherfucker! But also Americans have terrible taste in many things including what to name their children.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun
I'm sorry to all Americans in the thread! You guys still have Justine Tunney and Yudkowsky though.

I can hardly talk though, I'm British and we have to deal with people like UKIP, the party who describe themselves as "a libertarian, non-racist party". They're basically the Tea Party but more xenophobic than racist in that they hate white foreign people too.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I wonder how Davis feels about bilingual signage and government services. Do Canadians have to master French to serve in the army?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Where does Milo Yiannopolous fit into all of this? I have trouble believing that he's not a part of the DE movement, with how pompous and bizarre and repetitive his articles and allusions-cast-as-'valid'-questions/scenarios fits into DE.

UnoriginalMind posted:

It's a pretty common deflection technique, put together with a patently ridiculous premise to (somehow or other) compare the ludicrousness of how far he takes it, as some sort of way to nullify the point being made by the person being responded to.

You see it a lot with hardcore conservatives, people who don't want to think about how they might potentially be acting offensively to others, etc.

It goes something like this. "Okay I (pretend to acknowledge and) see the point you're making. Now for the sake of argument, let's imagine X, and now imagine X+Y+z equals *difficult question for me to answer*. Do you want to validate my 'logical debating point', or are you going to just REFUSE TO BE A REASONABLE PERSON?!?!"

It's a really kind of amazing way to shift attention from the flaws in one's argument while attempting to paint oneself as some sort of victim because *fantasy scenario as a response to a straight question*.

The epidemic of "welfare queens" are a decent example.

coyo7e has a new favorite as of 00:38 on Nov 1, 2014

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Davis Aurini is here to talk to you about the American and French Revolutions and how they relate to women's sexual liberation. Spoiler: he understands gently caress-all about all three of those topics.

I hate to keep posting him but goddamn, he is a goldmine. This is the dude who wants to be the face of Gamergate.

EDIT: The thing I love most about all of his videos in the Forest of Misandry is how in every one there's a loud, distracting outside noise that any competent video maker would have edited around (or just not filmed in a forest) but gently caress that we need to know about those loving sluts right now!!!!

1stGear has a new favorite as of 01:26 on Nov 1, 2014

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

1stGear posted:

Davis Aurini is here to talk to you about the American and French Revolutions and how they relate to women's sexual liberation. Spoiler: he understands gently caress-all about all three of those topics.

I hate to keep posting him but goddamn, he is a goldmine. This is the dude who wants to be the face of Gamergate.

EDIT: The thing I love most about all of his videos in the Forest of Misandry is how in every one there's a loud, distracting outside noise that any competent video maker would have edited around (or just not filmed in a forest) but gently caress that we need to know about those loving sluts right now!!!!
I like that he starts off "everything needed to be said was said - so I'ma just drop idiot-bombs for 12 minutes between Spider Man quotes."

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx

coyo7e posted:

Where does Milo Yiannopolous fit into all of this? I have trouble believing that he's not a part of the DE movement, with how pompous and bizarre and repetitive his articles and allusions-cast-as-'valid'-questions/scenarios fits into DE.

I think he's just a run-of-the-mill conservative who works for Breitbart, really.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
That was my feeling as well, I heard him in an NPR interview a few days ago where he mentioned how he "only got into this gaming thing a month or two ago" and now he's a firebrand for the movement, as it were... :ughh:

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Yeah, the gamergate shitshow has reached a sufficient level of notoriety that various right-wing media dumbfucks have started trying to drop in for a bit of brand-building. As well as fake right-wing media like Colbert. Hopefully this means we're on the downward slope now.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
http://theviewfromhellyes.wordpress.com/2014/10/18/the-history-of-fertility-transitions-and-the-new-memeplex/

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

uber_stoat posted:

Yeah, the gamergate shitshow has reached a sufficient level of notoriety that various right-wing media dumbfucks have started trying to drop in for a bit of brand-building. As well as fake right-wing media like Colbert. Hopefully this means we're on the downward slope now.

Until the gamergate thing I never knew Adam Baldwin was just like every character he plays in real life. How does someone read and perform all those scripts taking the piss out of grumpy right-wing meatheads, and still genuinely want to be one?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
His conclusions are (of course) bullshit but his starting point is too--a lot of pre-18th century European societies deliberately spaced their children after marriage, since if you have too many kids you either have to figure out a way to feed them all or it fucks up your inheritance. Average number of kids per family in Germany in the early modern period was four.

HEY GUNS has a new favorite as of 15:15 on Nov 1, 2014

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

HEY GAL posted:

His conclusions are (of course) bullshit but his starting point is too--a lot of pre-18th century European societies deliberately spaced their children after marriage, since if you have too many kids you either have to figure out a way to feed them all or it fucks up your inheritance. Average number of kids per family in Germany in the early modern period was four.

It's a woman, actually. Still bullshit though.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

They're developing their own cargo-cult scholarship, just like the creationists. That's adorable. I can't wait for the first meta-study on the evolutionary consequences of those haughty bitches not giving it up to me like I deserve.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Stottie Kyek posted:

Until the gamergate thing I never knew Adam Baldwin was just like every character he plays in real life. How does someone read and perform all those scripts taking the piss out of grumpy right-wing meatheads, and still genuinely want to be one?

Studies have shown time and again that conservatives have terrible trouble recognizing and understanding satire. They completely miss it most of the time, like, thinking Colbert is serious levels of "missing it." Baldwin probably thinks the story of all of his characters is that they're making good points the other characters are too dumb to listen to.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

thinking Colbert is serious levels of "missing it."
The Colbert thing is usually more a case of them getting the wrong end of the stick and thinking he's playing a cartoonish version of what liberals supposedly think conservatives are, thus actually mocking liberals. It's not that they think he's serious, it's that they think he's one of them.

I am not a book
Mar 9, 2013
Oh hello, I was in the middle of lecturing about those loving slutsmale gender theory and seem to have been transported to this forest. Let us discuss my ideas while I hold a mug of coffee and let a cigarette go to ash by itself.

I am not a book
Mar 9, 2013
I'd normally be upset by what he's saying, but I just can't take him seriously because of those loving cigarettes.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Does anyone have the video where he complains about girls in high school laughing at him? It goes really well with his grown-up play-acting cigarette pantomime.

Pulsedragon
Aug 5, 2013
This is Aurini again, and it leads me to believe he lives in an alternate universe.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
I went and listened to him saying the word 'gayness' like five times. It's so beautiful. He really savours the 'ayness'. Kinda draaaaaaags it out, almost lovingly, and certainly not intentionally. g ...

anus.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

I am not a book posted:

I'd normally be upset by what he's saying, but I just can't take him seriously because of those loving cigarettes.

I just need a video where he smokes a cigar or something for the first time, and results in like a 5 minute uninterrupted stretch of him coughing up a lung. And then decided that was good and uploaded it, obviously.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Apparently the piece was misinterpreted satire, and the author is actually an antinatalist (!): http://slatestarcodex.com/2014/11/01/links-for-november-2014/#comment-156147

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

I am not a book posted:

He's like a kid who doesn't actually like smoking but is sort of doing it to try and look cool.