Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

forbidden lesbian posted:

until you made that post, it may not have been

wait is this a time travel tense trouble thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I wanted Occ to post before I posted this, but uhhhh. At least the grade is locked into place. So anyway, I guess I'll steal bullet point format?

My rewatch thoughts:

* Rory :3:

* This is probably the best they've ever written River, her scene with the Dalek was pretty great when I first watched. The build to the climax seems like they were really trying to fake the audience out into thinking the show was re-cancelled. Was the next season unannounced at the time?

* This time I much more appreciated the part where the Doctor goes backwards in his interactions with Amy and tries to comfort her. It helps that this thread has helped me better realize what was going on, because like I said, I needed a map to navigate this episode. This is where Moffat just really lets loose with people playing with their own timelines.

* But the ending of that trip, with the Doctor planting the idea of himself as a story in young Amy's head, and the remark "I'll skip the rest of the rewind, I hate repeats" gave me a sort of Tom Baker vibe (which is really weird when you realize I've only watched about three hours of Baker episodes). People compare Eleventh to Second all the time, and there's good reason for that, but he does range from the softer First to Fourth quite a bit. At least in this season, generally sticking to the scripts he was given, Matt Smith does kind of give the modern viewer who refuses to go retro a taste of what Old Doctors were like. The exception is The Lodger, but that's because it's the one script in the bunch that was written for Matt Smith.

* Amy and Rory leave their wedding, and of course the TARDIS goes places even when you're not watching. And those unseen plots are the most preposterous thing the writer can think of: "An Egyptian goddess on the loose on the Orient Express... in space." A natural progression from the flying Titanic, I suppose.

* But again, Rory. :3:

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

Toxxupation posted:

Doctor Who
"The Big Bang"
Series 5, Episode 13

Grade: A

Here you go.

Random Thoughts:

Gas and ban OP.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."

also, i swear I'm gonna figure out how to mess with the probation system so i can ban you for making me click on something homestuck related you fucker

I'm already considering it for the same reason.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Homestuck is an integral part of this thread.

Much like literally every other thing tangential to Occ's or Oxx's interests.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
The big bang is full of closed time loops and other crazy time travel stuff, I love weird time fuckery, and that's why this is my favourite season finale for Doctor Who ever.

Next time, I'm going to just guess with my gut rather than trying to predict Toxx, which was the cause of like all but one mistake I made in the game.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Toxxupation posted:

Doctor Who
"The Big Bang"
Series 5, Episode 13

Here you go.

Random Thoughts:

Occupation linked that link in the main DW thread and caused my fall into madness. Now we've come full circle and it's the perfect review to one of my favorite DW episodes.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

On rewatching Big Bang I just have one question. When did they put the sonic in Amy's pocket? The Doctor uses it to close the Pandorica with Amy in it, then jets off. Episode ruined. :qq:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

DoctorWhat posted:

wait is this a time travel tense trouble thing?

there are two universes, the one where you make that post, toxx rolls his eyes and posts the real review, and the one where you make that post, toxx rolls his eyes and moves on to the next season

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

there are two universes, the one where you make that post, toxx rolls his eyes and posts the real review, and the one where you make that post, toxx rolls his eyes and moves on to the next season

in which universe did the nazis win WW2? Because there's always one.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken

howe_sam posted:

On rewatching Big Bang I just have one question. When did they put the sonic in Amy's pocket? The Doctor uses it to close the Pandorica with Amy in it, then jets off. Episode ruined. :qq:

He travels back to give it to Rory who is instructed to put it in her pocket, presumably when they put her body in the cube. The Doctor in the cube still has his own with him.

Edit: that made me wonder, so if the sonic can open the cube (presumably after they study it for a few hours), which allows adult Amy out of it in the present, why didn't the Doctor use it to get out himself? Upon which I realized he was bound up and couldn't use his hands.

NarkyBark fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Feb 14, 2015

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

DoctorWhat posted:

in which universe did the nazis win WW2? Because there's always one.

Trick question, we're the alternate universe fiction where the Nazis LOST WW2.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

NarkyBark posted:

He travels back to give it to Rory who is instructed to put it in her pocket, presumably when they put her body in the cube. The Doctor in the cube still has his own with him.

Edit: that made me wonder, so if the sonic can open the cube (presumably after they study it for a few hours), which allows adult Amy out of it in the present, why didn't the Doctor use it to get out himself? Upon which I realized he was bound up and couldn't use his hands.

Also he was inside. It's a prison. Easy to break into, impossible to break out of.

It opened for Amy in the present (well, 1996) because he programmed it to in the past, not because the sonic in her pocket activated. It was just in her pocket because he needed to get it back from Rory.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Feb 14, 2015

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Cleretic posted:

The grasshopper lies heavy, indeed!

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

NarkyBark posted:

He...they...oh right, the one Rory had.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
Wibbly wobbly, etc.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Doctor Who
"The Big Bang"
Series 5, Episode 13

"The Big Bang" opens exactly the same as "The Eleventh Hour" did, with a young Amelia Pond praying to Santa to help her fix the crack in her wall. This time, however, The Doctor doesn't crash-land in her backyard, and worse there seem to be no stars in the sky. And never were, apparently, as one of her myriad psychiatrists attempts to convince her.

During the night someone leaves a pamphlet to young Amelia with instructions to visit the museum, where the Pandorica is on display. Amelia convinces her aunt to take her, then rushes to the Pandorica exhibit, where someone has left a note telling her to wait. She does, dodging her aunt in the process, then in a bored impulse ends up touching the Pandorica, which opens up to reveal- Amy. Cut to credits.

Back in 102 AD, Rory, brokenhearted over the death of the universe and the forced murder of Amy is a sobbing wreck when Eleven, clad in a big dumb fez and wielding a mop pops into existence to let him know that Amy isn't dead yet, as long as he opens up the Pandorica (thus retrieving his past self), then just as quickly pops back out.

Rory retrieves The Doctor from the Pandorica, who notes that all of the former alliance of enemies have been turned into dust/statues (due to their respective races having never existed in the first place). The only thing preventing The Doctor and Rory from blipping out of existence is due to the Earth being the "eye of the storm", but eventually it too will cease to exist just like everything around it.

The Doctor places Amy's body in the Pandorica, which will heal and revitalize her as soon as it gets a copy of her DNA, which is why it's sent 1900 years into the future to the young Amelia Pond. The Doctor leaves Amy a psychic message for when she revives, then takes River's time bracelet thing and gets ready to jump to 1996, but Rory elects to stay behind and guard the Pandorica for the two thousand long, lonely years.

Back in 1996, Amy is attacked by a Dalek that has seemingly been revived, just as The Doctor blips into existence and rushes both her and Amelia away- immediately into a dead end. As if things couldn't possibly get any worse, he finds a fez. Luckily Rory- now a night watchman at the museum -comes along and shoots the Dalek in the eyestalk, killing it. Rory and Amy are joyously reunited, while The Doctor realizes that the Dalek was revived by the light of the Pandorica- which starts reviving it again, necessitating everyone leave suddenly.

As The Doctor puts on the fez, he looks around for something to bar the door behind him, and chances upon the mop, which Rory notes is exactly the way he appeared to his two-thousand-year younger self. The Doctor, therefore, sets to closing all the self-causation loops- appearing to Rory, warning him to leave the screwdriver in Amy's pocket, leaving the note to Amelia, leaving the post-it on the Pandorica...et cetera. All loops seem to have been closed when suddenly, a dying Eleven from 12 minutes in the future blips into existence, whispers something into The Doctor's ear, then prompty dies.

Before anyone can react and mourn The Doctor's imminent death, Amelia disappears- it seems that the universe's collapse rate is accelerating, and they don't have much time left to solve it, now that humans are ceasing to exist. Our intrepid trio rush to the roof of the museum, where they notice that there's something burning in the sky- but it can't be a star, because every star in the universe never existed in the first place. The Doctor realizes that it's the exploding TARDIS, with River stuck inside- she's still alive, because as a safety measure the TARDIS has thrown her into a repeated time loop of the last ten or so seconds of her life- long enough for The Doctor to warp in with River's Vortex Manipulator (the wrist time thing) and save her.

So, finally, the whole gang of Rory, Amy, The Doctor, and River are finally back together, with the most evil villain that Doctor Who has ever seen, that fuckin' fez, swiftly dispatched by River. Because she's the best. The Dalek, however, soon ends the merriment over the dispatching of a ruthless, merciless foe by attacking. The Doctor comes to a swift realization as a result of the attack- The Dalek only exists because the Pandorica, in being able to fix (for the purposes of keeping locked forever) anyone and anything, essentially contains an exact clone of the universe as it was before it started collapsing. With the Pandorica, The Doctor realizes, he can "reboot" the universe- and that's how he's going to save it. Big Bang 2, in other words.

Before he can explain, though, the Dalek's laser hits him, causing him to warp twelve minutes back in time. Rory and Amy rush back downstairs to his body- only for it to be gone. Turns out that The Doctor hadn't died, and it was all a ruse- he dragged himself into the Pandorica and is getting it ready to be piloted, so he can fly it into the exploding TARDIS, which will scatter the Pandorica's restoration field to everywhere at once simultaneously, undoing all the damage, reverting everything to the way it was, and closing the cracks behind him.

And that's the most important part- closing the cracks behind him. The Doctor won't be a part of the reboot loop and thus will cease existing or having ever existed, meaning this trip is truly one-way.

The Doctor calls over Amy and reveals that what initially drew him to her in the first place was that he realized that her parents had been eaten by the crack and the she had no memory of it. But, just like when he tried to have her remember Rory, he lets her know that if she keeps her family in her mind they'll exist again after Big Bang 2.

The Doctor flies the Pandorica into the explosion- and ends up fine, on the floor of the completely normal, non-destroyed TARDIS. He soon realizes, however, that his timestream is being erased chronologically- most recent events first, then going back. It turns out that the event in the forest with Amy during "Flesh and Stone" was, in fact, with the time-erasing Doctor and not the one in the narrative of the episode- which makes sense, since that scene landed a bit awkwardly in the episode as written even as I was watching it the first time -and he urges Amy to remember what he told her when she was seven.

The Doctor then zaps back to the night where Amelia waited for him, and collects an asleep Amelia and puts her to bed, but not before saying this:

"It's funny. I thought if you could hear me, I could hang on somehow. Silly me. Silly old Doctor.

When you wake up, you'll have a mum and dad. And you won't even remember me. Well, you'll remember me a little. I'll be a story in your head. But that's ok. We're all stories in the end. Just make it a good one, eh? Because it was, you know. It was the best.

A daft old man, who stole a magic box, and ran away. Did I ever tell you that I stole it? Well, I borrowed it, I was always going to take it back. Oh that box, Amy. You'll dream about that box. It'll never leave you. Big and little at the same time. Brand new and ancient, and the bluest. Blue. Ever.

And the times we had, eh? Would've had. Never had. In your dreams, they'll still be there. (stifles a sob, laughs) The Doctor and Amy Pond. And the days that never came.

The cracks are closing. But they can't close properly till I'm on the other side. I don't belong here anymore.

I think I'll skip the rest of the rewind. I hate repeats.

Live Well. Love Rory, Bye-bye, Pond."

And The Doctor...The Doctor disappears. The cracks are gone. The universe has been reset.

Amy wakes up, and it's finally, finally her wedding day. Amy's mom (Karen Westwood) and dad (Halcro Johnston) are here, and an excited Rory calls her on the phone- although there's something gnawing at the back of Amy's mind, something she's clearly forgotten about.

It's only until her wedding reception when Amy finally realizes- with the help of a certain bushy-haired lady and her diary -that she forgot all about her "Raggedy Doctor", which summons him back into existence. One wedding reception later, River comes back to collect her book- warning The Doctor that she and him are finally going to meet- and unfortunately, that's when "everything changes". Amy and Rory join The Doctor on their honeymoon to go back on more TARDIS adventures, closing out both "The Big Bang" and Series Five.

What's funny about "The Big Bang" is how strangely sort of lukewarm I am about it as a whole. I really loved it, but it's sort of a dull, more objective sort of love, a love born not from passion but from recognition of talent. But that's kind of the point of it, despite having a ludicrously dense narrative- seriously, the above summary was about as cut down a summary as I could make without losing the thread on the entire thing -this episode is a supremely logical, stable thing.

This means that I look at "The Big Bang" and I end up preferring it's predecessor "The Pandorica Opens", as a whole, because there's a sense of tension and narrative weight that's not necessarily here in "Big Bang". "Pandorica" was the episode where all the secrets were revealed and all the big plays were made; "Big Bang" is Moffat playing out the natural result of the dense narrative he had set up, it's very nearly perfunctory in a sense.

But strangely enough that's an even stronger statement of the general quality of Series Five and of Moffat as a whole. I feel about "Big Bang" in much the same way I feel about "Blink"- they're objectively fantastic, well-written, supremely logical episodes of television that I don't personally, emotionally connect to on a narrative level. A lot of that, though, is due to expectation.

I loved most of the RTD finales, because they came to close out a season that was wildly inconsistent in quality that had a bunch of episodes I hated or was at least lukewarm on. RTD's finales appeal to me because it's RTD really going for it in the last episode after a season of a bunch of missteps; it's him trying to stick the landing after an uneven performance, and his schizophrenic approach to plotting meant a sort of anything could happen possibilities, which appealed to the childlike, full-of-wonderment side of myself.

In contrast, even within an episode full of time travel and rebooting the world and various nonsense it's all a part of a recurring season-long theme and narrative that Moffat had himself established. The idea of self-causation was a leitmotif of Series Five; having The Doctor do it over and over and over again just made sense, but it wasn't, like, surprising. The things that happened made complete and total sense and followed naturally from what was established; as a result I wasn't necessarily impressed or wowed by the concepts on display here, because "The Big Bang" is meant to be the result of a season of build-up, not a crazy idea pulled from a fat Welshman's rear end to close out a season of nonsense.

And that's why Moffat is just plain flat-out better than Davies. I probably still prefer the latter over the former, but the fact that Moffat's able to make a strong, suitable, sort of workhorse finale that closes out the season in a supremely satisfying, if not personally overwhelming, way is evidence of how much better, objectively speaking, of a writer he is. If RTD was able to craft a finale like "Big Bang" where it brings together all the recurring serialized elements of the season into one episode that supremely paid off the overarcing narrative in a way that reinforced the themes of separation, loss, and redemption that had permeated the entire season from the very first episode, I'd be singing Davies' praises from the rafters. But because Moffat does it, it's, just, well, it's expected. You can't impress when your average quality is already so impressive, and I end up cooler on "The Big Bang" because of that.

Series Five is clearly, objectively and subjectively, the single best season I have seen thus far, and "The Big Bang" is reflective of my affection for it as a whole- it's a strong, surprisingly restrained finale despite seeming like it isn't because of how much craft went into setting up its narrative. To be honest, it's not even doing anything distinctive- it's playing out the hand dealt to it in the in my opinion superior "Pandorica Opens", which states on a more general level how incredible this season has been. It's a true embarrassment of riches in Series Five when I can shrug and give an A to its finale and still feel kinda underwhelmed. But not because the episode did anything bad- because it's exactly what I expected it would be.

On the other hand, the character work in "The Big Bang" is perhaps some of if not the best the show has ever done, and it's why I adore the episode as much as I do. Every character's arc on this episode is incredible, and every single one of them gets a single fantastic moment or scene that would elevate the show to A status all on its own.

If you don't love River after this episode, I don't want to know you or be your friend. Even discounting how she destroyed the hated fez, the scene with her confronting the Dalek is so incredible and empowering to her character that I'm still blown away by it.

With Rory, the opening of the episode- with him stuck in the dying earth, cradling a dead Amy in his hands, sobbing over the horrible crime he's committed is an unbelievable, heartbreaking way to open the story. The fact that the emotion of the scene plays out just long enough to stop short of farcical and is then cut by Eleven's fez-clad appearance was a brilliant move on Moffat's part- the audience knows that Amy's gonna get better, that The Doctor is gonna save everything, because that's what The Doctor always does, and the fact that the horror and sadness of the scene is immediate juxtaposed with the humor and silliness of Eleven talking up a storm, confusing himself about time tenses is both a needed way to cut the tension and a brilliant bit of foreshadowing- the audience, just like Rory, knows that everything will turn out all right, because The Doctor has come to say it is.

But the true fantastic scene is when The Doctor, after being informed of what Rory did to Amy, turns to Rory and says this:

"Your girlfriend isn't more important than the whole universe."

Rory's response, namely to punch The Doctor in the face, yelling "SHE IS TO ME!" is such an incredible moment for his character, so earned and felt so right and reflective of the always-passive Rory finally losing it when the safety of the love of his life is threatened that it's was perhaps the most triumphant moment of the episode. The fact that Moffat wrote Rory to guard the Pandorica is a further extension of doing right by the character- it's in keeping that Rory would do this despite Amy being almost immortal- the key word there is the "almost", and Rory would do anything to protect her, and it's definitely reflective of his need to perform some sort of penance for the crime he was forced to commit that placed her there in the first place. The fact that all this happened within the same episode is Moffat truly honoring and respecting Rory as a character, and was a genuine joy to watch onscreen.

Amy, too, gets her whole moment in the wedding, literally summoning The Doctor back to life- although I really hated that "You may kiss the bride" line, since it undercuts Amy at her most crucial moment, her moment of triumph. That being said the wedding scene is still so utterly fantastic one can excuse and ill-thought-out and tonally dissonant line of dialog.

And finally, we get to The Doctor. I wrote down the entirety of his monologue during the Amelia scene because it's such a brilliant sequence, so incredibly played by Matt Smith. It's such a brilliant scene because it runs through so many different emotions at once, and really lays bare exactly what sort of person The Doctor is- it's such a long monologue that it has narrative highs and lows, peaks and valleys, and Matt Smith rises to the occasion, impressing on it a real ancient sense of tiredness to it all while imparting his hope for Amelia, his anger with himself, his sorrow over the life he never would live, and his overall joy that he was able to finally give The Girl Who Waited the fairy tale ending she deserved.

It's such an emotionally powerful scene I remember, in the middle of it, remarking to Oxxidation, wondering aloud how he could possibly prefer Eccleston over Smith when he's doing poo poo like this. And Oxx, to his credit, admitted that it definitely the nostalgia talking when he said that Eccleston was his favorite- because come the gently caress on, guys, Smith deserves a loving Emmy for that scene. Jesus goddamn Christ.

"The Big Bang" isn't the best episode of the season, and an episode I feel is "just" pleasant. But that's why it's the perfect way to end Series Five- a season so incredibly, unbelievably amazing all it needed was a finale that played out the rest of the chess game the first twelve episodes had set up. It needed no big shock or impact because the season didn't call for one. It's not the best season finale I've seen, but it's the best season's finale.

Random Thoughts:
  • Rory rules.
  • That moment when Eleven covers Amelia's head with the fez is just adorable.
  • Of COURSE River dated an Auton once. Do you know why? BECAUSE SHE'S loving INCREDIBLE THAT'S WHY
  • If you didn't adore that "MERCY" scene with the Dalek and River you're not a human being with feelings because that was the best loving thing.
  • Rory (broken): "So the universe ended. You missed that. In 102 AD. I suppose this means you and I never get born at all. Twice, in my case.

You would have laughed at that. Please laugh!

...The Doctor said the universe was huge and ridiculous, and sometimes there were miracles. I could do with a ridiculous miracle about now."
  • The Doctor: "I've got a future. That's nice!"
  • Rory (sorrowful): "I killed her." The Doctor (overwhelmed): "Oh, Rory."
  • Rory: "Will she be safer if I stay? Look me in the eye and tell me she wouldn't be safer."
  • The Doctor: "Why do you have to be so...(breaks into a grin)...human?" Rory: "Because right now I'm not."
  • River: "Rule One: The Doctor lies."
  • Amy: "Where's the Dalek?" River (flatly): "It died."
  • The Doctor: "Amy, your house was too big."
  • The Doctor: "You'll have your family back. You won't need your imaginary friend any more."
  • River: "It's from The Doctor." Amy: "What does it say?" River: "Geronimo."
  • Amy: "Do you feel like you've forgotten something really important? Do you feel like there's a great big thing in your head and you feel like you should remember it but you can't?" Rory: "...Yep." Amy: "Are you just saying yes cos you're scared of me?" Rory: "Yep." Amy: "Love you." Rory: "Yep...Er, love you too."
  • Amy: "Raggedy Man, I remember you, and YOU ARE LATE FOR MY WEDDING!"
  • Rory: "It's The Doctor! How did we forget The Doctor? I was plastic. He was the stripper at my stag. Long story."
  • Rory: "No! I'm not Mr. Pond. That's not how it works." The Doctor: "Yeah it is." Rory: "...Yeah, it is."

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Cleretic posted:

Meanwhile in an alternate universe, nerds argue over an episode of Doktor Wer in which he changes history by preventing Hitler from being assassinated.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Yeah now I can finally play MH4U! I actually made myself not play it till this review was done! That's how much I care about this thread!

gently caress you all I'm out!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

Meanwhile in an alternate universe, nerds argue over an episode of Doktor Wer in which he changes history by preventing Hitler from being assassinated.

And his common alias, Johann Schmidt.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Toxxupation posted:

Yeah now I can finally play MH4U! I actually made myself not play it till this review was done! That's how much I care about this thread!

enjoy it, you earned it

and with this review you have officially watched as far as I have, now i literally have no clue what happens after this so that means it would be the perfect time to start trying to guess review scores

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

And his common alias, Johann Schmidt.

I UNDERSTAND THIS REFERENCE

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

You didn't mention my favourite emotional bit of the episode. When the museum recording is listing off the history of the Lone Centurion as Amy watches...

Toxxupation posted:

It turns out that the event in the forest with Amy during "Flesh and Stone" was, in fact, with the time-erasing Doctor and not the one in the narrative of the episode- which makes sense, since that scene landed a bit awkwardly in the episode as written even as I was watching it the first time -and he urges Amy to remember what he told her when she was seven.

Also! He's wearing a coat in that bit, whereas the Doctor in Flesh and Stone had lost his coat in the previous scene.

Oh, the arguments we had...

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I was also cool on this episode when I first watched it. In my case I was trying to keep up with all the time stuff going on and wasn't concentrating on the character stuff so much as a result. It's kind of interesting to me that while RTD's finales all revolved around a big universe ending threat, Moffat has the universe end and then cleans up the mess. I like the feeling of the episode taking place in the quiet time after the worst has happened. Maybe that's a decent message to send the kiddies watching as well- bad things happen and they can't always be prevented but maybe they can be fixed. By, uh, turning back time.

2house2fly fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Feb 14, 2015

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Toxxupation posted:

You have admirable self-restraint, sir.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe
We haven't posted many Chameleon Circuit songs in this thread, but they produced two really good songs out of this episode. One of which is basically the Doctor's monologue to Amy almost verbatim, because it's just that loving good.

The Big Bang Two
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8f0xBe0kq3E

Silence and the End of all Things
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7u0L-jzlK_E

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Toxxupation posted:

It turns out that the event in the forest with Amy during "Flesh and Stone" was, in fact, with the time-erasing Doctor and not the one in the narrative of the episode- which makes sense, since that scene landed a bit awkwardly in the episode as written even as I was watching it the first time -and he urges Amy to remember what he told her when she was seven.

This part was great during the original run, because a decent amount of people actually noticed his wardrobe change in Flesh and Stone, and were theorizing that it was a future version of the Doctor, while a lot of other people were naysaying the whole thing. I was sad that there wasn't really any way to bring that moment up in this thread without spoiling.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

adhuin posted:

Is the christmas special included at the Start?

Edit go rv: I'm rooting for you over that poser!

I would also like to know this so I can WIN THE NEXT SEASON, TOO!

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Rochallor posted:

I would also like to know this so I can WIN THE NEXT SEASON, TOO!

Well played you magnificent bastard. :argh: at least I won the CineD Gen Chat pool for season 5, not that I can take that back with any sort of pride.

Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

Hewlett posted:

Well played you magnificent bastard. :argh: at least I won the CineD Gen Chat pool for season 5, not that I can take that back with any sort of pride.

GO TO HELL HEWLETT
NYAAAAAAAAAGH

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Toxxupation posted:

Jesus, man. There are limits, and then there are limits

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Season 5 is a magical fairytale of a season, even now a few years removed from its initial airing I'm still in awe of just how good it is (sans the Silurian 2-parter), just how wonderfully it builds and resolves and how satisfying the entire thing is. It's so good it feels wrong to single any one individual element or person our for praise because EVERYBODY/EVERYTHING deserves massive credit.... but that said, holy poo poo was Matt Smith a revelation as the Doctor.

Also I will forever love that all the other races in the Alliance turned to dust because they never existed in the first place, but the Daleks are so goddamned stubborn that the closest thing to a compromise they could make was being turned into stone instead.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Cool Rory Fact: During WW2 he went around London putting up these posters

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
...context?

Also, I was really lukewarm on the Moffat era by this point. I wasn't excited for episodes, and I would sometimes forget to tune in every week. I know I saw at least the next episode, due to some scenes sticking out in my head; but I can't remember much of the rest of series 6. So, I guess good of time as any to pop in the ol' netflix and watch with the jerk of the hour.

Overmayor
Jul 25, 2014

umalt posted:

...context?

I did some googling and it turns out the context is exactly what they said it was.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
"The Pandorica Opens" is, I think the easy to miss start of Eleven using his sonic as a magic wand in decidedly not screwdrivery purposes, walking down below Stonehenge with it as a flashlight (alright, fair enough use I suppose) and then, hilariously, igniting a torch.

I'm sorry, you.... You made fire, with a screwdriver?

It's probably some kids show limitation of not wanting to show major characters "playing with fire" and inspiring a generation of arsonists, because it happens so quickly that you can miss it. But it is kind of funny.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Craptacular! posted:

"The Pandorica Opens" is, I think the easy to miss start of Eleven using his sonic as a magic wand in decidedly not screwdrivery purposes, walking down below Stonehenge with it as a flashlight (alright, fair enough use I suppose) and then, hilariously, igniting a torch.

It's probably some kids show limitation of not wanting to show major characters "playing with fire" and inspiring a generation of arsonists, because it happens so quickly that you can miss it. But it is kind of funny.
I guess the logic is "make the molecules resonate so hard they heat up dramatically."

I did like him using the glowing bit on the end as a light source before that.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
Only thing missing is him using it as a Light Sonic Saber.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Craptacular! posted:

You can control temperature with sound waves; there are refrigeration devices that use it. Also, there's a DARPA project that actually extinguishes fire with sonic waves.

On a firestarting front... ultimately, pump enough energy into something and it'll combust. Technically, sound hitting something does warm it up slightly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
"Screwdriver" has been an obvious simplification of the type of device it is for a long time. Although the torch lighting does conflict with what's been pretty consistently one of its limitations- it "doesn't do wood". Let's say that torch was an advanced cyber torch somehow.

• Locked thread