Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Watch Firefly in Network Broadcast order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
The most logical solution is to continue with another time travel series after Doctor Who and make Toxx review Quantum Leap

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

You're coming up to the end of the new series? Now do the classic series as well. :getin:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Payndz posted:

This but non-ironically. Blake's 7 rules, even if it's hilariously cheap-looking at times (lots of times). And Avon is one of television's greatest magnificent bastards.

It's also the show where the head of the BBC enjoyed what was intended as the final episode so much that he called the office and ordered the continuity announcer to say over the end credits that it would return for another year, which came as quite a surprise to everyone involved.

I wasn't actually being ironic. :ssh:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

LEGO Genetics posted:

The most logical solution is to continue with another time travel series after Doctor Who and make Toxx review Quantum Leap

No, Sliders

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by
If we're considering British sci-fi, how about the first five series of Red Dwarf?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Watch all eleven seasons of Cheers followed by all eleven seasons of Frasier. In the comments for each review, count the number of times each episode a person doesn't drink the drink that they ordered and got poured.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jerusalem posted:

Watch Firefly in Network Broadcast order.

This is just nasty.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

your evil twin posted:

I heard that the ratings were so-so, but TV critics thought highly of it. I'm guessing that Syfy decided it was worth renewing as it helps improve the channel's reputation, even if they lose money on it. Making their own shows like 12 Monkeys and Dark Matter, and showing smart Canadian series like Continuum, they can get get away from being "the terrible B-movie channel".

Continuum's another suggestion, by the way. Delighted to hear that the series is going to get a proper conclusion in the form of a short fourth half-season.

One thing they could try is going for a more respectable name. I might suggest "SciFi", crazy as that sounds...

Continuum is another good suggestion, yes!

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Bicyclops posted:

Watch all eleven seasons of Cheers followed by all eleven seasons of Frasier. In the comments for each review, count the number of times each episode a person doesn't drink the drink that they ordered and got poured.

And then take a shot of whatever it was, each time it happens

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

DeafNote posted:

And then take a shot of whatever it was, each time it happens

I want to do this. I'd survive right up until that episode that Carla makes that thing in the blender, but my tombstone would read "RIP Bicyclops, who died doing what he loved."

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

A lot of you guys seem to missing the point, you want a show the fluctuates between awful and amazing on an episode to episode basis like Doctor Who.

Fringe and Continuum are way too consistent for that.

Farscape is probably the best suggestion so far, bar any Star Trek and well there is always Torchwood. Xena and Hercules would probably work in a non Sci-Fi capacity as well.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

LeafyOrb posted:

A lot of you guys seem to missing the point, you want a show the fluctuates between awful and amazing on an episode to episode basis like Doctor Who.

Farscape is probably the best suggestion so far, bar any Star Trek and well there is always Torchwood. Xena and Hercules would probably work in a non Sci-Fi capacity as well.

I suggested Sliders, thank you.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
Or Stargate. It has so much promise, and it gets beautifully realized sometimes. Not too often, but when it's good it's pretty much amazing.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."

Burkion posted:

I suggested Sliders, thank you.

Would only work for the first season, though. Season 2 is infamously terrible on a consistent basis. They literally recycled the plots of a bunch of old 50s/60s sci-fi movies and episodes of Star Trek, and Species.

(Season 3 was a bit better, but I didn't see any till years later - they didn't show it on UK TV, no channel wanted it after the disastrous season 2.)

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

your evil twin posted:

Would only work for the first season, though. Season 2 is infamously terrible on a consistent basis. They literally recycled the plots of a bunch of old 50s/60s sci-fi movies and episodes of Star Trek, and Species.

(Season 3 was a bit better, but I didn't see any till years later - they didn't show it on UK TV, no channel wanted it after the disastrous season 2.)

Well duh. that's half the fun.

It's like Doctor Who, only with even more random quality drops

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

LeafyOrb posted:

The point is actually to trap Toxx into a mindprison of his own design, and monitor his mind like the Mads from MST3K.

So, actually, all of the Star Trek it is.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
The answer is of course,

A lot of you are just suggesting genre shows that you happen to like. The ideal show to have him review would have a good variance of quality between episodes, not be a boring procedural, and not be like 12 seasons of 24 episodes. So the answer is Farscape.

LeafyOrb posted:

and well there is always Torchwood.

This is a good choice too. Who doesn't enjoy Captain Jack? What a hilarious scamp!

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Nah, after the first season Farscape is pretty consistently high school quality. I mean there's the occasional dropped ball in Seasons 2 or 4 and 3's middle section is considerably rougher, but it's nowhere close to the "occasional diamond in a sea of mediocrity" sort of thing Toxxidox said he was after. B5 or Fringe would be better suited, I think; Fringe's procedural/filler eps are garbage and there's a gently caress of a lot of them, and, hey, I love B5 to death when I was 15 but Christ Almighty has that show aged poorly.

(You see what you've done here, Joe, you've turned this into a "my campy sci fi show is better than your campy sci fi show" slapfight.)

Problem is, I'd be far more interested in Toxx reviewing Farscape than either of the other two.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Proposition Joe posted:

This is a good choice too. Who doesn't enjoy Captain Jack? What a hilarious scamp!

A popular character with a pre-realized setting and fanbase? Total freedom to do some mature storylines with adult themes for the many grown-up fans of a family-friendly show? What could go wrong? It will be like taking that super-popular Baywatch show and making the ground-breaking spinoff Baywatch Nights!

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Autonomous Monster posted:

Nah, after the first season Farscape is pretty consistently high school quality. I mean there's the occasional dropped ball in Seasons 2 or 4 and 3's middle section is considerably rougher, but it's nowhere close to the "occasional diamond in a sea of mediocrity" sort of thing Toxxidox said he was after. B5 or Fringe would be better suited, I think; Fringe's procedural/filler eps are garbage and there's a gently caress of a lot of them, and, hey, I love B5 to death when I was 15 but Christ Almighty has that show aged poorly.

(You see what you've done here, Joe, you've turned this into a "my campy sci fi show is better than your campy sci fi show" slapfight.)

Problem is, I'd be far more interested in Toxx reviewing Farscape than either of the other two.

Well I win because I have the obscure show about the hero who rips the limbs off of his enemies, beats them down with those limbs, and then slashes their throats and gets sprayed in the face with their gurgling neck blood.

As the capper of a meta commentary on the Cuban Missile Crisis from the unique perspective of 1960s Japan.

UltraSeven is awesome

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Doctor Who
"Listen"
Series 8, Episode 4

The last man on Earth sat alone in a room. There was a knock on the door.

-Fredric Brown

The short story "Knock", detailed above in its entirety, was obviously an influence on "Listen", whether consciously or not. The "short-short" story, as it is termed, was written by sci-fi writer Brown and is popularly considered the "shortest horror story in the world".

Personally speaking, I adore "Knock". It's brilliantly spare, with not a single word wasted, while expressing the central fears all of humanity shares. Fear of the unknown, with the knock on the door. Fear of the impossible, being that there are no other sentient beings in existence as explicitly defined by the narrative.

And, finally, the fear of loneliness. What makes "Knock" so powerful is in the story it doesn't tell, how the reader immediately knows that the "last man on Earth" is going to answer that door, despite all common sense and logic telling him otherwise. The alternative - being alone - is even worse.

"Listen" is one of the scariest episodes in the show's run. It's a story about simultaneously embracing and understanding fear over causing it. It's a fable about the nature and self-destructive power of obsession. It's a time travel narrative. It's a love story. It's a contained bottle episode, it's a character study. It's a thinkpiece on education and how people teach both each other and themselves. "Listen" is many, many things, all of them successful; the one thing it's not, is a horror story.

It appears to be a horror story, don't get me wrong. It has all the makings of a Moffat-branded scarefest; the monster preys on the subconscious and is variously ill-explained. The fear is based off a basic childhood fear - in this case, the fear of the monster under your bed, hidden from view. "Listen" is a moody, tonal piece, which is a "Moffat scary script" leitmotif at this point. There's even a repeated nursery rhyme used for chilling effect. From every surface-level view, "Listen" is Moffat's version of horror through and through.

And yes, the hour is frightening as hell. Playing off such a simple fear as the fear of the unknown, combined with never actually showing the Hider onscreen - or even definitively saying that it exists - allows "Listen" to be quite scary to both adults and children. "Listen" is yet another point of evidence that Doctor Who is at its most effective when it's at its most understated, when it doesn't try for the big CGI bombast (which almost always looks cheap as gently caress over effective) or the big scary costumes (which look silly instead). The inherently creepy material is made even more unsettling by the story's shot direction and framing; the episode plays with dutch angles and long, lingering shots of Capaldi's and Coleman's faces to give a surreal atmosphere to the entire piece. The stilted, uncomfortable dialog seeks to further calcify that overwhelming sense of wrongness that permeates "Listen" from beginning to end; often times both Clara and The Doctor seem at a loss for words, like they're just trying to muddle their way through the story until the climax and resolution happens so they can immediately go about attempting to forget that the events ever happened.

Yes, "Listen" is frightening as hell, the scariest script of Doctor Who that I have yet seen. But even all that said it's still not a horror story. Really, "Listen" is an anthology series, three distinct but related narratives bound together by the framing narrative of Clara and Danny Pink's hilariously failed date.

Let me explain further. "Listen" uses the Clara/Danny Pink date - the narrative backbone of the plot - as a way to mark out the three tiny, ten-minute narratives the episode then delves into. The date progresses (or more accurately, regresses) to a certain point, which then segues into Clara aboard the TARDIS to help The Doctor out. The Clara date consists of three scenes (Clara storms out after Danny offends her, Danny storms out after Clara lies to him/reveals information she shouldn't possibly know, Clara apologizes to Danny at his apartment), which corresponds to the three mini-stories; Rupert's (Remi Gooding) fear of the monster under his bed, Orson Pink's (Samuel Anderson) fear of the monster outside his door, and the barn scene.

The fact that "Listen" is composed of four very small ten-minute stories allows them all to progress and resolve quite quickly, which keeps the show's pacing tight. It's actually a really interesting narrative trick that Moffat pulls this episode; it's very much a low-key affair, consisting mostly of The Doctor and Clara sitting around in rooms and talking to one another. It's basically the hour of Doctor Who I always wanted to exist, a lower-key, more contained bottle episode that deals more in mood and emotion than in run-shouting and the world on the brink of destruction. But keeping it contained within one and only one set would push away Doctor Who's children demographic, so instead what "Listen" does is keep the mood but change the setting regularly. Clara and The Doctor spend the plot speaking calmly and staring at each other, it's just that the location they're in when they do so changes once every ten minutes to keep the episode moving. This allows the script to, essentially, have its narrative cake and eat it too; "Listen" is both a series of extended conversations between Clara and The Doctor on the nature of fear, regret, and obsession, but also it has a certain focus that keeps it away from pretentiousness.

At its core, "Listen" is the story of a little boy trying to lay his demons to rest and finally, once and for all, figure out if the monster under his bed is real. The complication arises in the fact that the "little boy" is the Twelfth Doctor.

As Oxx said, Twelve is a little boy in a man's body, and nowhere is this more evident than in "Listen". The Doctor's personality has been partially explained, due to "Into the Dalek", but in a larger sense The Doctor is still mostly a cipher. It's part of why "Listen" is as strong an hour as it is, because it fills in the gaps of The Doctor's, especially Twelve's, character. The fact that Twelve is a character so motivated by his younger, more primal inclinations - for instance, how the entire plot of the episode hinges on Twelve attempting to explain away and examine his base childhood fears - makes him into a distinctly different and interesting character from his previous incarnations. The relationship that Twelve has with his childhood self, his impetuousness and focus on certain events in his life, are specific to Twelve. Their inclusion within the bounds of "Listen" allows the audience to gain a fuller grasp on what sort of person Twelve is, at a time when such comprehension on the audience's part was necessary to his growth as a character within the bounds of the eighth season of the Doctor Who revival. Not only is "Listen" a great episode, it was also the right episode, at the right time, giving fuller character depth to a Doctor who desperately needed some since his introduction to the show.

Much of this episode is about obsession, specifically Twelve's obsession. In a sense, this is the "true" monster of the plot, especially since it's unclear if "Listen" even has a monster in the first place. Twelve's incessant need to figure out whether or not the monster under his bed in his childhood was real is what drives the episode's focus in the first place, and one could reasonably argue that if it weren't for Twelve's need to examine the situation in the first place none of the its conflict would have happened.

The Doctor being the true antagonist of an episode of Who is definitely not a unique idea, but the interpretation that "Listen" uses is fairly distinct. Yes, The Doctor could be argued to be the source of the conflict in "Listen", but it's not portrayed as necessarily bad over simply a note of character definition for The Doctor. It's not malicious or rooted in character flaw. It's hard to argue that it's even a character flaw in the first place; "character quirk" seems like a more apt choice of words. Twelve is dominated by his obsessions, and one of them rears its head in this episode; he's very concerned with his past, the things that he's done within it and how those actions ended up forming who he now is as the Twelfth Doctor. Lying awake at night crying in that barn was a pivotal moment of his life, one that ended up coloring all of his future interactions with everyone else up to and including Clara Oswald. His motivations are everpresent but they're also understandable.

The Doctor's flaws are usually seen as crippling and things that need correction, like Ten's egotism or Eleven's capacity for deception. Twelve's obsession with his past, in contrast, seems like a natural part of his character and something that ends up further defining him. I mean, let's look at "Listen"; sure, his need to discover whether or not the Hider is extant is what motivates the plot, but it doesn't cause any real problems that didn't already exist within the narrative. If anything, all it did was solve them; Twelve's desire to figure out if the Hider was true was what led him to find Rupert and Orson, two people who already had problems of their own before The Doctor ever entered their lives. The Doctor's desire for closure and explanation ended up helping out a scared kid and saving a time traveller's life, an empirically good thing.

One of the reasons I love "Listen" as much as I do is because of how well it paints a picture of Twelve, but it's not the only reason. There are plenty, plenty others. As I've mentioned before, I would be very happy if every single episode of Who from now on was something like this; I love strong, emotive, dialog-heavy pieces and "Listen" delivers that in spades. There's no running; the characters move with purpose from scene to scene and there's no sense of wasted time. In contrast to many stories of RTD and even Moffat's run, "Listen" has a sense of narrative clarity and focus that keeps it moving. Those long scenes of The Doctor et al running down a corridor from the Big Bad were roundly mocked because of how cheap and ineffective they were, but to me their biggest sin is how much time they waste; they seem like they were included simply to pad the running time of the episode because the people involved in making it didn't have enough material to fill forty-five minutes. "Listen"'s understated progression is its biggest strength; besides strengthening all the other parts within, it allows the episode to have a supreme command of tone and be long, drawn-out and nuanced while still being compelling television without feeling pretentious. It's a character piece, and a bottle episode, and incredibly layered especially considering what sort of show it's a part of but still is clearly Doctor Who through and through.

The ambiguity, as well, is a central theme of the piece. It heightens the horror while implying that the Hider could - or could not - definitely exist within our world. Much like "Blink", the plot "Listen" shares the closest thematic ties to, "Listen" is a story that is intentionally unknowable, explicitly obfuscated. The Angels were terrifying and unknown and unclear besides "are quantum". The Hider's very existence is called into question. All that is known for sure is that the fear it creates is very real.

The lighting and sound effects of "Listen" are top-loving-notch here, in a way that Doctor Who almost never is. With an intentionally ambiguous antagonist in The Hider, one that for obvious reasons could never be displayed onscreen, the episode decides instead to utilizing its lighting and sound design to establish mood for a creature that it can't display visually. Pipes rattle, beds creak, wood boards groan under the weight of The Doctor and Clara. The episode uses light and shadow to impress mood; the unease is deepened at the orphanage in the episode's first story because of the dimly-lit, dingy surroundings it takes place in. In contrast, "Listen" has one of the only appropriate and earned uses of the lens flare that I've seen, when Twelve and Clara talk aboard Orson's ship. The light peaking on the screen gives the set a feeling of nausea, impressing on the audience how exposed of a location it truly is.

Now, some Who fans, being Who fans, have objections with "Listen." I would like to go over several of these objections, and why I have no patience for them.

From what I've gathered, the main complaint people have with "Listen" is that it's disrespectful to the Doctor Who canon. The argument, it seems to be, is that Moffat was somehow presumptuous or spat in the face of the show's "legacy" by having Clara go back in time and directly comfort the young boy about to become a Time Lord, setting him forever down the path that would eventually end up with him being The Doctor. It's just Not Done, what Moffat did, because there's fifty years of legacy and there's some things that you Just Don't Show on Doctor Who. The fact that Moffat would have the arrogance to show The Doctor as a kid, not only as a kid but providing his character, Clara, as the catalyst for change on that kid-who-would-be-the-Doctor is a moment that ruins the episode forever because of how unearned of a moment it was, and how deeply crucial and unchangeable that specific aspect of the canon is to the audience watching.

Let's detail the flaws in that argument one by one. Firstly, and most obviously, Clara didn't loving "create" The Doctor in that moment. The Doctor doesn't solely exist because as a kid he was comforted in his bed by a tiny elf woman with freakishly giant eyes. Implying otherwise is, ironically, disrespectful to The Doctor's character; he's far more than one inciting event that led him to be the person he now is. It's as stupid as saying that Clara "created" Danny Pink by doing that whole soldier bit at the foot of Rupert's bed; it's a stupid argument that fundamentally misunderstands that all fully layered characters, and all people in general, have more than one thing that happens in their life to make them the person they eventually become. They happen all the time, throughout your life; Clara's moment in the barn was just one of many thousands of moments all throughout the young Doctor's childhood that made him become the time-travelling demigod he now is. Maybe he saw a Dalek vaporize someone close to him as a teen! Maybe he fell in love with a girl who died of a mysterious illness the doctors couldn't cure! Maybe he was besties with a young version of The Master who stole his Space Charizard card! The whole loving point is that Clara's barn scene was influential but it wasn't singular, because no single moment of any sapient being's life is.

Secondly, I remain skeptical that the people who argue against the Clara thing aren't arguing in bad faith. RTD created the Time War, an event so momentous it redefined the entirety of the canon of Doctor Who up to that point. It was a necessary move; the show was absolutely rotten with artifacts of its own legacy and the Time Lords as a race had become an albatross around the show's neck. RTD needed an easy, plot-appropriate way to reset the universe of Who, and thought of a quick and lore-justifiable way to do so. And it was a loving brilliant move, especially considering how the show has now mined the Time War for narrative and emotional dividends. Heck, the fiftieth anniversary special is centrally about the Time War and its effects on the narrative as a whole! The show is now as much about the Time War as it is about anything else, and it's all rooted in RTD making an executive decision to gently caress with the canon in a major way. The same people who deride the Clara thing remain suspiciously silent or praise RTD's contributions, especially stuff like his invention of the Time War. To me, it comes across not as being mad that Moffat changed the canon, but being mad that Moffat changed the canon. It's an ill-disguised way to externalize their Moffat hatred by arguing from a place of empiricism, that Moffat "betrayed the show's canon" in some major way when it all really boils down to the fact that they don't like Moffat and will grab at any excuse to vilify him, not matter how tenuous.

Let's take the argument, although it is clearly, objectively, wrong, that Clara "created" The Doctor at face value. Let's further take at face value that people are arguing in good faith that Moffat "betrayed the canon". Here's my response...who cares? The scene where Clara comforts the kid in the barn was what the entire episode had built itself around. As I said before, despite all appearances, "Listen" is not a horror story. It's a story that explicitly deconstructs the traditional Moffat narrative, having all of his usual horror story "stuff" - down to the nursery rhyme used for thematic effect - but ending with a lesson about how fear is good, that it's a superpower and makes you strong. It's a story that seeks to scare the poo poo out of kids, and then has as its final scene Jenna Coleman speaking to a kid who is also the amazing hero that every child watching this show wants to be, telling him that the fear he feels is necessary and a good thing. It seeds that final scene by having The Doctor say much the same thing to Rupert in the orphanage. Every single moment of this episode not only demanded but required that climax with Clara in the barn; on an emotional, narrative, and moralistic level the show needed that scene.

Moffat's biggest narrative failure is in how he will ruin a perfectly good story by inserting an authored scene for some outside reason. He did it in "A Good Man Goes to War", he did it in "Deep Breath". He didn't do it here. This episode necessitated that barn scene; contrast the Clara scene with the Eleven scene in "Deep". Both were appropriate for both characters to participate in, both were emotionally earned and entertaining scenes. There's only one way in which they differ, and it's why one is terrible and the other one of the strongest single scenes of the show's run: the Eleven scene was inserted into the episode because Moffat was afraid of how the audience would react to Capaldi and awkwardly inserted a scene to "validate" him, in the most disingenuous and spineless way possible. The other was Moffat building an entire script and story to lead to one central moment, with Clara telling the young Doctor that "fear is a superpower", then following through and honoring the stakes of the episode he wrote by showing that scene, gently caress the fandom's whining. That "Deep Breath" scene was written out of cowardice; the "Listen" scene is written out of bravery.

Honestly, the complaints about "Listen" speak from a larger issue I have with the show's fandom, one I detailed in my "Wedding of River Song" writeup. The show is so often hamstrung by having to worship its own legacy. The Daleks have to be brought back once a season, and they have to look a certain way, or else the fans will revolt. There has to be a billion winking references to the serials, there has to be old legacy characters and villains crowbarred into the script no matter how unnecessary or confusing they are to new viewers and they're all beholden to one specific characterization when first introduced and nothing else. Even stuff like the entrenched sexism of Who can be traced back to the fundamental desire to keep things exactly the same. How the gently caress does that even happen, besides the logic of "Well, that's the way it always is"? To me, the showrunner's job on any TV show is to be progressive, to push forward new and exciting narrative and to take chances. There are no sacred cows to telling a good story, and that's the showrunner's central imperative - to be a good storyteller. The stagnation that many Who fans clamor and even argue for is not only bad, it's downright toxic- it weakens narratives and cripples what should be a better, more daring show. Even if you hate everything about the way Moffat specifically implemented it, you should be applauding that Moffat had the stones to push the show's story into areas it had never been pushed in before, because that speaks to the sort of perspective a showrunner should have.

All in all, "Listen" is a story about learning. In keeping with the "education" theme of Series Eight, Clara and The Doctor are constantly learning throughout the episode's run. Clara's constant revisit of the increasingly-disastrous date is one such example; she approaches each scene of the date having learned more about who Danny is and how to approach and interact with him, and puts those skills to use to make greater and greater strides in her romantic attempts. The Doctor learns more and more about the nature of his own obsession and shared history with the Hider, and spends some valuable time teaching- teaching the young Rupert about the power of fear, who takes that knowledge and ends up identifying with it in some crucial way, eventually becoming Danny. Danny, too, learns - not just as Rupert, but as the date progresses in his own timeline, realizing that Clara knows more than she's letting on. And finally, and most crucially, Clara and The Doctor learn from each other - ironically, the same lesson, in one of Moffat's patented Time Bullshit self-causation loops, as The Doctor teaches Clara who teaches The Doctor who teaches Clara and on and on and on, forever.

The end is never the end.

Grade: A

Random Thoughts:
  • Rupert: "Would you read me a story? It'll help me get to sleep." Clara: "Sure." The Doctor: "Once upon a time... (touches Rupert's forehead, putting him to sleep immediately)...Good night."
  • Clara: "Thing is, my time line, it keeps on...Orson, you don't want to meet yourself. It's really embarrassing."
  • Clara: "What if there was nothing? What if there was never anything? Nothing under the bed, nothing at the door. What if...the Big Bad Time Lord just doesn't want to admit that he's afraid of the dark?"
  • Orson: "Please...don't make me spend another night here."

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

LEGO Genetics posted:

Also not a bad idea if you want wild swings in quality. I mean, on the whole QL is awesome but there are some real stinkers in there too.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
The beauty of Doctor Who is that you can pick and choose your canon.

TV only? Fine.

TV and Big Finish? Sure! (this is mine, for the record)

TV and Big Finish and the comic strips? Go forth...

TV and Big Finish and the comic strips and all the novels? Why not?

You're right that the moment with Clara in the barn feels "earned," but considering that Clara was the Impossible Girl who was all throughout the Doctor's timeline, including telling the First Doctor which TARDIS to steal, the barn scene felt a bit excessive, like Moffat is screaming "drat IT, SHE'S IMPORTANT" after she failed to truly click with Eleven. The barn scene doesn't bother me overall...it's more of a light itch that's shrugged off, especially in light of just how great the rest of Listen is. It's a polarizing episode as you mentioned, but no one can deny all 45 minutes of Listen are incredibly well done.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I think the version of that story that's more thematically appropriate to Listen is:

"The last man on Earth sat alone in a room. There was a lock on the door."

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
What I really liked about this episode was that there were no scenes where the main characters and their thinly-written sidekicks run through corridors away from a stupid monster. Can't wait for the next episode!

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

you guys ever wanted to see how i write, well, here's an outline

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Heist

In which countless rich people burn alive.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Midnight was Midnight done right :colbert:

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Listen

Listen. Listen.

A

2house2fly
And More
AndwhatIseeisme
Attitude Indicator
Bicyclops
blasmeister
Bown
BSam
cargohills
Colonel Cool
DoctorWhat
fatherboxx
Gandalf21
Grouchio
Howe_sam
jng2058
LabyaMynora
Lipset and Rock On
MikeJF
onetruepurple
Paul.Power
Rat Flavoured Rats
Senerio
Weird Sandwich
Xenoborg

B

Alkarl
death .cab for qt
DetoxP
ewe2
JoltSpree
Jsor
Labratio
Organza Quiz
Sinestro
thexerox123

C

Andrew_1985
Barometz
Mo0
Ohtsam

D

No-one outside the door, except...

F

egon_beeblebrox

Overall Average Guess: B+. Yes, the consensus was that Toxx would like this one. Oh, yes.

Current rankings:

Labratio: 2
Alkarl: 3
fatherboxx: 3
Howe_sam: 3
Lipset and Rock On: 3
2house2fly: 4
blasmeister: 4
Bown: 4
DoctorWhat: 4
Gandalf21: 4
onetruepurple: 4
Organza Quiz: 4
thexerox123: 4
Xenoborg: 4
Andrew_1985: 5
AndwhatIseeisme: 5
Attitude Indicator: 5
Bicyclops: 5
Colonel Cool: 5
DetoxP: 5
Grouchio: 5
jng2058: 5
LabyaMynora: 5
MikeJF: 5
Paul.Power: 5
Senerio: 5
And More: 6
BSam: 6
cargohills: 6
death .cab for qt: 6
JoltSpree: 6
Ohtsam: 6
Rat Flavoured Rats: 6
Sinestro: 6
Weird Sandwich: 6
Jsor: 7
Barometz: 8
ewe2: 8
Mo0: 8
egon_beeblebrox: 9

Labratio still hanging on here, so good job with that. We're seeing more of the rankings shake out, and egon_beeblebrox takes a huge tumble from which recovery seems unlikely. Still a pretty solid horse race going on at the top, though, with only a point or two separating all the leaders, and we still have two thirds of the season to go.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Toxxupation posted:

you guys ever wanted to see how i write, well, here's an outline

Haha, I used to try to write like that, but I'd always just end up on stream of consciousness tangents.

I like Listen, there are a couple of issues with it but that is true of pretty much all media, and people tend to inflate/exaggerate the effect that single scenes/elements have on a story as a whole.

Toxxupation posted:

Maybe he was besties with a young version of The Master who stole his Space Charizard card!

Please don't give Joseph Lidster ideas :ohdear:

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

There are some thematic similarities, but at the heart, I think Midnight is about being afraid of other people and Listen is about being afraid of being alone.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Apparently "Where's Waldo" is called "Where's Wally". Crazy.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Toxxupation posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Heist

In which countless rich people burn alive.

The prosthetic makeup on the side of Jonathan's Bailey's face was really awful, but I wouldn't mind the concept behind Psi making another appearance. The idea of a free-thinking people with cybernetic implants seems like an obvious bait for a future cyberman story.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

idonotlikepeas posted:

There are some thematic similarities, but at the heart, I think Midnight is about being afraid of other people and Listen is about being afraid of being alone.

also, listen is, like, good

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Now I will always think of Shitlords as the Time Lord's very unfortunate cousin race. Don't ask about the poo poo War.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jsor posted:

Now I will always think of Shitlords as the Time Lord's very unfortunate cousin race. Don't ask about the poo poo War.

It's not as interesting as you might think.

It mostly revolved around arguments about if you combined a brother with a bird and a cat and then you combined his sister with a cat and a cthulu doll, if they got together would it still be incest

AppropriateUser
Feb 17, 2012
Listen is a good episode with an ending undercut by the fact that the "send Clara back to pivotal moments in the doctors life toresolve the plot" bit was already done, and feels like a regression back to the Impossible Girl bullshit that made her so bland before Moffat took the time to make her an actual character.

Time Heist is fun! Everyone should like time Heist.

Also, review Sherlock.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Toxxupation posted:

also, listen is, like, good

It's true. But not every episode can be great, like Midnight.

idonotlikepeas fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jul 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Time Heist is a perfectly fine episode, but considering it's a heist caper with a psychic slug-monster that just wants to get nude with its partner, it's a remarkably.... unremarkable episode. There's nothing particularly wrong with the episode outside of a somewhat rushed resolution, but nothing about it jumps out as memorable to me either, outside of some of the recurring themes of the overall season starting to become more prevalent.

Edit: Peter Capaldi rules as always though :allears:

• Locked thread