Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

DoctorWhat posted:

the degree of masculinity could be reasonably off-putting if you aren't totally into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

LET ME SEE YOU GRIT THOSE TEETH!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Why is Digimon still a thing if it isn't 1999 anymore? Also doctorwhat weren't you, I don't know, a fetus in 1998? Also Pokemon is superior.

I'm in my early 20s now.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Mordiceius posted:

LET ME SEE YOU GRIT THOSE TEETH!

WHO THE HELL DOES HE THINK HE IS?!

(I'm genuinely shocked we had a full page of Gurren Lagann talk without this. Though my favourite moment in the show is Nia's version of the catchphrase.)

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Gaz-L posted:

WHO THE HELL DOES HE THINK HE IS?!

(I'm genuinely shocked we had a full page of Gurren Lagann talk without this. Though my favourite moment in the show is Nia's version of the catchphrase.)

Gurren Lagann is seriously the most quotable show in existence.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
oh poo poo, we're talking about Digimon now? I loved the first season when I was a kid, and then the second season started, and I got hardcore bored.

Summer 2014, I saw it was on Netflix, and had nothing better to do (deciding not to take summer classes was a bad call), so I watched all of the first season in two weeks. It...it was pretty drat good for what it was. then I went on to season 2, and aaaaaaaagh. I think I got about ten episodes in, maybe less. It wasn't that the characters were different, it's that the new three were not in any way interesting. Davis is the worst, and I don't even remember the names of the other two.

also wait there's a new Digimon series in the same continuity as 1/2, and it killed off some characters? Was it all of them, or just the ones introduced in season 2?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Spatula City posted:

oh poo poo, we're talking about Digimon now? I loved the first season when I was a kid, and then the second season started, and I got hardcore bored.

Summer 2014, I saw it was on Netflix, and had nothing better to do (deciding not to take summer classes was a bad call), so I watched all of the first season in two weeks. It...it was pretty drat good for what it was. then I went on to season 2, and aaaaaaaagh. I think I got about ten episodes in, maybe less. It wasn't that the characters were different, it's that the new three were not in any way interesting. Davis is the worst, and I don't even remember the names of the other two.

also wait there's a new Digimon series in the same continuity as 1/2, and it killed off some characters? Was it all of them, or just the ones introduced in season 2?

OH DO I HAVE STORIES FOR YOU

Digimon Tri is a series of 6 movies that are broken up into 4 episodes (so 24) when they come to the states that will be airing from this year into next year and maybe 2017?

It takes place after season 2, but treats season 2 very, very loosely. The events of season 2 happened in a broad sense, but much of it is ignored and there seems to be time fuckery afoot.

The opening of the first episode/movie shows, at the very least, the four new kids from season 2 getting beaten soundly by a villain- after that they're gone entirely and are only referenced on a computer screen once. If you do not like the season 2 cast at all, it's very cathartic and hilarious.

The first season is, genuinely, much better than it had any right to be. The anime was put together with as little intrusion from the toy side of stuff as possible because it was made purely to promote the tamagachis of the time, so the writers were given full reign to do whatever they wanted with the rinkadink series. The draw back was a budget that was juuuust enough so the artists didn't starve, the positive was literally everything else.

The series did way, way better than expected, bumping the originally planned short 13 episode series into a 50+ juggernaut, which the writers never missed a beat on. Season 1 of Digimon is unique in that, for its very long run time, it has next to no filler episodes. Every episode is in service to character development, plot, or often both, and the focus of who is the main character never just staid with the typical leader. Absolutely everyone got a time to shine, and get this, the most powerful Digimon didn't belong to the leader character- he didn't even get the most power ups!

The show balanced, ultimately, 16 main characters and did it fantastically with all of them being unique and distinct from one another.

The animation however never really improved, because it was still a super low budgeted series.

The dub that was done was done with a lot of love and care, and was and is still an extremely charming thing that's shockingly not as censored as most dubs of the era tended to be. Very few things got cut out or changed, and while there was a weird point where they tried to avoid saying when a character died, they very quickly stopped giving a poo poo.

Over all Digimon season 1 is a freak gem in the rough that you very rarely find. The plot wasn't the deepest, the characters weren't the most complex, but given what it was and is, it still holds up today, and it makes sense why its the focus of Digimon Tri 15 years later.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I remember watching the show as a kid and I know I had some orange dinosaur and a weird cyber-whale and that's it.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Burkion posted:

Every episode is in service to character development, plot, or often both, and the focus of who is the main character never just staid with the typical leader.

I watched season 1 as a kid, but was always way more into Pokemon... but I rewatched a bunch of season 1 on Netflix with an ex-girlfriend a couple of years ago, and we were both surprised by how well it held up in these regards... it really was pretty good at character development.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

thexerox123 posted:

I watched season 1 as a kid, but was always way more into Pokemon... but I rewatched a bunch of season 1 on Netflix with an ex-girlfriend a couple of years ago, and we were both surprised by how well it held up in these regards... it really was pretty good at character development.

It wouldn't be a terrible idea to check out season 3, Digimon Tamers. When I was a kid I missed out on it but I went back when I decided to rewatch the series out of a nostalgia kick a few years ago. Even without the rose-tinted glasses it was remarkably better than either of the first 2 seasons and far better than it had any right to be.

Summer Wars, while not Digimon, is also a good watch as it's made by the guy who did the second movie, Our War Games. It's basically a retelling without the Digimon.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Trojan Kaiju posted:

Summer Wars, while not Digimon, is also a good watch as it's made by the guy who did the second movie, Our War Games. It's basically a retelling without the Digimon.

Summer Wars is great.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Reclose this thread

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Escobarbarian posted:

Reclose this thread

you let me be....inside you

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
I watched Doctor Who. It's a show about a guy that doesn't like a lot of things except running around and getting lost. He's a good role model, because most of us run around and get lost. He also hangs out with pretty girls, and they stay because he doesn't try to gently caress them.

These are important lessons. Please watch that show, so you learn.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Toxxupation posted:

Jessica Jones is every bit as good as I hoped it would be :allears:

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Jerusalem posted:

Jessica Jones is every bit as good as I hoped it would be :allears:

that line is so loving bad though. just. jesus fuckin christ

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The first line of episode 1 is worse

"They say New York is the city that never sleeps - but it sure does sleep around."

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Toxxupation posted:

much like anime and doctor who, superhero shows are for children

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Toxxupation posted:

Yeah, but goddamn the show is loving awesome (unless it goes off a cliff from episode 10 on).

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

hey guys is this the new anime thread

how bout that dragonball super eh?

who is the best character and why is he vegeta?

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Escobarbarian posted:

The first line of episode 1 is worse

"They say New York is the city that never sleeps - but it sure does sleep around."

Yeah, there are some clunkers. But good lord, is it better than Daredevil. The writing and quite a bit of the acting for that was just wretched most of the time. The only thing that really annoys me about Jessica Jones is that the sex scenes seem to exist only to say "this is the Marvel show with sex in it". And there are a lot of them.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Wow, Krysten Ritter looks a hell of a lot like Eve Myles.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I've disappeared from the internet for months, (I'm sure everybody noticed and that most of the posts were just "Where's Bicyclops?" with a lot of sad emoticons), but I was glad to see, upon returning, that Toxx caught up, and that he mostly enjoyed the last season, and that he remembered my post from way back.

Jessica Jones looks interesting and I've heard good things. That "the city sure does sleep around" line is, of course, the worst, but hopefully it's there as some kind of a marketing tagline and not actually embedded into the spirit of the show.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Bicyclops posted:

I've disappeared from the internet for months, (I'm sure everybody noticed and that most of the posts were just "Where's Bicyclops?" with a lot of sad emoticons), but I was glad to see, upon returning, that Toxx caught up, and that he mostly enjoyed the last season, and that he remembered my post from way back.

Jessica Jones looks interesting and I've heard good things. That "the city sure does sleep around" line is, of course, the worst, but hopefully it's there as some kind of a marketing tagline and not actually embedded into the spirit of the show.

... where HAVE you been?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

... where HAVE you been?

The long-story short is that I am not good at phone posting and have way less time to be near a computer than I used to have (and I've had life stuff to do during the time that I am at my laptop). It will hopefully change in a couple of months, but it will probably be at least that long. :(

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bicyclops posted:

The long-story short is that I am not good at phone posting and have way less time to be near a computer than I used to have (and I've had life stuff to do during the time that I am at my laptop). It will hopefully change in a couple of months, but it will probably be at least that long. :(

I'll make sure to time Digimon chat for when you return again

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Burkion posted:

I'll make sure to time Digimon chat for when you return again

I'm going to try to post a couple of times a week, if I can. I miss Doctor Who chat.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bicyclops posted:

I'm going to try to post a couple of times a week, if I can. I miss Doctor Who chat.

I have genuinely missed seeing your Avatar floating around. This week's episode was pretty cool!

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Your Boy Fancy posted:

I watched Doctor Who. It's a show about a guy that doesn't like a lot of things except running around and getting lost. He's a good role model, because most of us run around and get lost. He also hangs out with pretty girls, and they stay because he doesn't try to gently caress them.

Toxxupation posted:

:agreed:

Soothing Vapors fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Nov 23, 2015

Clever Moniker
Oct 29, 2007

Eagerly awaiting the Season 8 reviews, so that we can start talking about Season 9, just in time for Season 10.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Heck, we're talking about Season 13 in the main thread.

Man, that Brain of Morbius....

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
But it's the season 9 reviews we're waiting on

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Escobarbarian posted:

But it's the season 9 reviews we're waiting on

I...er...um...

...you win this round.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, but goddamn the show is loving awesome (unless it goes off a cliff from episode 10 on).

I've got some bad news...

surc
Aug 17, 2004

That dude needs to beat that game so that Toxx reviews an audio, games do not take this long to beat :(

Monagle
May 7, 2007
Wonka Wash spelled backwards.

surc posted:

That dude needs to beat that game so that Toxx reviews an audio, games do not take this long to beat :(

Theres a trophy for beating it in under 15hours I think, and its really easy to hit

Even getting all 4 endings shouldn't take much more time, since you only have to replay half the game for NG+

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

computer parts posted:

I've got some bad news...

That the show ended excellently and the whole thing wrapped up in an immensely satisfying way while also leaving room for direction moving into a second season? But that's not bad news at all!

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Jerusalem posted:

That the show ended excellently and the whole thing wrapped up in an immensely satisfying way while also leaving room for direction moving into a second season? But that's not bad news at all!

Oh it ended fine. Just the three episodes between the end of Ep 10 and the ending was the problem.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh yeah fair enough, it did feel like they stretched out 9-10 episodes worth of show to 13.

That said, I couldn't really complain since I found the characters so interesting and loved getting to see more of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

i literally stopped watching the show after "you let me be...inside you" because i realized i literally lost all possible respect for the show due to the extraordinary badness of both that line and the judgement of everyone involved in how poorly they handled what should've been a mid-season climax

i'm pretty content, honestly, to never ever return to it, goodness of david tennant aside

• Locked thread