Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

There's also the general discussion thread too.

Yeah, anyone who has an insatiable urge to discuss things that are spoilers for this thread can drag your thoughts over to the main thread and get your yucks there so you don't break the rules and ruin everyone's fun. People seem to think there's some kind of a vast cultural gap separating the Spoiler Thread and the Main Thread and this one, but they're all pretty much exactly the same. Some people complain about some episodes or writers or Doctors, other people like those episodes, Doctors, etc., and all of the threads have long derails to discuss whatever hot button issues comes up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Doctor Who
"Planet of the Ood"
Series 4, Episode 3

I've consumed the output of Alan Sepinwall and Dan Fienberg for a long time. (In case you don't know, Alan Sepinwall is like "the" guy who made popular the concept of rolling, per-episode reviews of television and is a personal hero of mine. Dan Fienberg is his critic friend and now boss over at HitFix.) They're both two television critics I have an immense amount of respect for and I've listened to their podcast, the Firewall and Iceberg podcast (in my opinion the single best television podcast out there) for years now. In the past five months, however- ever since I started reviewing television for TVIV regularly, as an aside holy poo poo it's been that long already? Christ -I've listened to their podcast and read their reviews more closely, so as to better understand the specific language I should be using and focus I should be having when writing my own reviews to make them more entertaining and informative.

So it was very, obviously, interesting and relevant to me when in a recent episode of their podcast that a listener wrote in asking how he "should" review episodes of television for his college paper. Most of Fienberg and Sepinwall's advice was pretty clear-cut and obvious: write from a specific point of view, find out what you do and don't like about the episode, figure out a tone for your piece (Compare/Contrast, stream of consciousness, generalized analysis) and stick to it, but one piece of advice really stuck with me going forward: Don't grade the show for what YOU want it to be; grade the show for what IT is TRYING to be.

Which is important, when viewing Doctor Who and especially this episode, "Planet of the Ood". This episode is a stereotypical run-shout episode of Who, revolving around The Doctor and Donna landing on the, well, planet where the Ood from the "Impossible Planet" two-parter waaaay back in Series 2 come from. The Ood are, well, manufactured by a group of humans led by the stereotypically mustache-twirlingly evil capitalist Mr. Halpen (Tim McInnerny). The Doctor and Donna root around, find out the horrible secret of the factory- the the humans are making the Ood into lobotomized slaves -then help break out the Ood and give them their long-awaited freedom back.

And here we arrive back at the fundamental issue I had with this episode, one that spawned a very, very long argument with Oxxidation as we somehow got onto the topic of moral relativism? Whatever. Anyways, my issue with the episode- my fundamental issue -is the flattening of the Ood's character and development.

Now, I knew the Ood would, at one time or another, come back- Oxx himself gave that specific plot point up -but it was nice to see their specific, vaguely intriguing but criminally under-served character arc finally receive closure. Heck, Keith Temple, the writer of this episode, even wrote in this specific little beat:

The Doctor: "Last time I met the Ood, I never thought, never asked." Donna: "That's not like you." The Doctor: "I was busy...So busy I couldn't save them, I had to let the Ood die. I reckon I owe them one."

Which even somewhat excuses Ten's almost criminal lack of interest in the Ood's fate way back in the "Impossible Planet" two-parter, by addressing the fact that he dropped that particular ball in a big way his first time interacting with them.

The Ood, too, were a very conceptually interesting race- What does it mean, to have a race of sentient beings who specifically developed to serve others? The concept demanded closer examination and by extension would raise some very interesting and extremely morally complicated questions, so it was all the more disappointing that the Ood were quickly turned into yet another boring set of goons for the Big Bad in the two-parter. Finally, though, in "Planet of the Ood", I thought, I would finally receive all of the answers to my burning questions about what, exactly the Ood are and how they function.

So you can imagine my extreme disappointment when "Planet of the Ood" resolves the whole "The Ood are specifically a slave race, is that ethical or not to use them as such" moral question by showing that the Ood are, in fact, lobotomized by the humans in charge, who also restricted their sort of overarcing "hive mind" Ood Brain, which is able to amplify the Ood..colony's passive telepathic field and give specific instructions to the Ood as a whole.

To me, this flattened the Ood's character as a whole. The Ood were, to me, meant to be emblematic of a truely "alien" universe; an issue that Doctor Who has had as a show is that it has a specific humanistic perspective on everything, with the victims, perpetrators, and general morality of the show defined by humans. Which is like...fine, since like, we're humans, it makes sense that the writers of the show also being human would write from that specific perspective but as a result it made all of the more whiz-bang outer space portions of the show feel very two-dimensional since everything is defined, as a general rule, on humanity's terms. The Doctor et al doesn't meet specifically alien cultures, despite the fact that The Doctor himself is an alien; the few times they meet otherworldy creatures they turn out to be exactly like humans but with weird speech patterns.

So along come the Ood with their difficult, specifically inhuman definition of morality and xenocentric cultural system, and it intrigued me. "Planet of the Ood" arrives in Series 4 and therefore flattens the race as a whole, by simply making them lobotomized slaves. To me, it was taking what could have been a really interesting, really morally grey concept and making it simple, making it black-and-white, in a way that didn't narratively satisfy me.

But here's the problem. Even though I didn't like it, that's not a valid criticism for the episode as a whole. I'm completely justified in saying "I wish they did <x> instead of what they did", because that's an opinion and opinions aren't, by definition, ever wrong, but where that specific complaint ends is when I go "Since they didn't do what I wanted them do to do, <x> is bad."

My complaints about the show were rooted in what I WANTED the show to be, and not what it WAS TRYING to be. (A lesson that TVIV as a whole can learn.) And what "Planet of the Ood" was trying to be was an episode of a kid's program, something often forgotten when discussing Who on the Internet. My initial assessment of the Ood as this morally complicated alien race with its own attendant values and culture was probably, in itself, incorrect; Doctor Who is meant to be enjoyed by children, and that's probably too morally complex and complicated a conceit to be addressed within the constraints of the show as a whole.

So I've had to throw that complaint to the side. It's simply Not a Relevant criticism (or indeed, a criticism at all) to levy against this show, because at no point in "Planet" was it trying to present the Ood as this morally complex race. Executionally, "Planet" attempts to be an episode all about a slave race getting freed, an overall triumphant episode meant to just, again, be a run-shout hour of television that Who often engages in.

How does "Planet" stacked up, when viewed from the correct perspective? Okay. The episode is often engaging, and Donna is a particular delight throughout the entirety of it- her interactions with The Doctor are as usual stellar. Donna is also the source of the sole emotionally affecting moment of the episode- her overwhelming sorrow at the Ood's plight as she listens to their song for the first time is the one time when "Planet" even attempts at pulling at the heartstrings, and it works, especially when followed with Donna's flat and fearful declaration of "I spent all that time looking for you, Doctor. Because I thought it was so wonderful out here. ...I want to go home." It puts a really haunting button on the scene, having this previously wonder-filled and excitable character who risked so much for this opportunity to travel the stars, looking at man's capacity for evil full in the face and that causing a believable character turn in her, where she simply wants nothing to do with The Doctor's travels any more. Of course, Donna's tune changes by the end of the episode, but even that can be justified by The Doctor working as a symbolic force for goodness throughout causing her to re-evaluate her initial assessment.

But beyond that, the episode by necessity is rather...flat, being as I've mentioned before just another run-shout episode of Who. It's executed compotently, but not exceptionally- none of the side characters are particularly memorable in any way. The final scene of the episode, as well, is pretty poor- having the Ood turn Mr. Halpen into an Ood himself is a rather dark and morally ambiguous turn for an episode that's meant to be a more triumphant and a sympathetic build for the Ood as a whole, one that left a somewhat bitter taste in my mouth. (The climax is further muddied by the little scene right before it where Mr. Halpen releases Ood Sigma for "being loyal", which is an almost sympathetic turn for the antagonist and throws into further question the ethics of the Ood's actions.)

So that's ultimately my assessment, removed from my own personal bias and conceptions, or misconceptions, of the episode as a whole. And ultimately competent if no-frills episode elevated by the dynamic of its two mains, but subsequently lowered by its unfulfilling climax. A "B" episode if ever there was one.

Grade: B

Random Thoughts:
  • Donna Status: Still Owns.
  • Donna: "A great, big empire built on slavery." The Doctor: "It's not so different from your time." Donna: "Oi, I haven't got slaves." The Doctor: "Who do you think made your clothes?"
  • Donna: "Um...sorry, but...Tell me, are you all like this?" Ood: "I do not understand, miss." Donna (nervously): "Why'd you say 'miss'? Do I look single?"
  • Donna: "Is that why you travel around with a human at your side? It's not so you can show them the wonders of the universe, it's so you can take cheap shots." The Doctor: "Sorry." Donna: "Don't. Spaceman."
  • The Doctor: "The Ood are harmless, they're completely benign. Except, the last time I met them, there was this force, like a stronger mind, powerful enough to take them over." Donna: "What sort of force?" The Doctor: "Ah, long story." Donna: "Long walk." The Doctor: "It was the devil."
  • Donna: "Um...sorry, but...Tell me, are you all like this?" Ood: "I do not understand, miss." Donna (nervously): "Why'd you say 'miss'? Do I look single?"
  • Are "the bees" the arc words of Series 4?
  • The Doctor: "Oh no no no, we're not married." Donna: "We're so not married." The Doctor: "Never." Donna (with emphasis): "Never ever."
  • Donna: "Now that's what I call a spaceship. You got a box, he's got a Ferrari!" (The Doctor's little self-conscious gaze back at the TARDIS after this line is incredible.)
  • Donna: "You idiot. They're BORN WITH THEIR BRAINS IN THEIR HANDS. Don't you see? That makes them peaceful. They've got to be, because a creature like that would have to trust anyone it meets." The Doctor (nodding): "Nice one." Donna: "Thank you."

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Toxxupation posted:

(The climax is further muddied by the little scene right before it where Mr. Halpen releases Ood Sigma for "being loyal", which is an almost sympathetic turn for the antagonist and throws into further question the ethics of the Ood's actions.)

I got the impression that "releasing" Ood Sigma wasn't actually a kind act at all... as he was letting him go to join his brethren in dying en masse while he made an escape. I think he didn't trust Ood Sigma to stand by his side as he killed the brain and thus all Ood.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Oct 11, 2014

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Doctor Who
"Planet of the Ood"
Series 4, Episode 3

I've repeatedly said throughout my writeups that Doctor Who is a show for children, and when I say it, I'm not being facetious. Well, sort of - I might be a big ol' hypocrite for saying this, given how many words I've written on this show so far, but I still like needling the types of people who ruminate over children's entertainment like it's the loving Talmud, and the growing Internet subculture of amateur critics, video game over-thinkers, and post-modern Adventure Time media analysts is something that I've always preferred to keep at a healthy distance with a great big stick. I was expecting "Planet of the Ood" to be one of the least contentious episodes of this season, since, as Occ said, it's definitely cut from the light n' fluffy run n' shout mold of baseline Doctor Who episodes, but our differing opinions on how the whole Ood issue should be approached brought the "children's show" point to the forefront, and things kind of snowballed from there.

Occ already stated that he went into this expecting the Ood to be a legitimate, born-and-bred servant race, one that would be a clear-cut example of morality that doesn't fit within human paradigms and introduce us to the functions and mores of an intelligent species that has subservience as a biological imperative. I argued, semi-amused at first and then with steadily growing panic as he refused to get the drat point, that, since Doctor Who is a show for children, an episode that seriously portrayed the possibility of an inherently servile and second-class race as a biotruth could have some really loving unfortunate implications for a sizable portion of its audience. The most sizable portion, in fact, that portion being children. Because Doctor Who is a show for children.

Occ actually a suffered a mild existential breakdown as I kept hammering in this point, in the "oh God, what have I been spending my time on for the last two months" sense. As if writing all this text on Breaking Bad or Battlestar Galactica or Super Smash Bros. would have somehow been a more productive and culturally enriching way to spend our time, but that's neither here nor there. But it does emphasize just how desperate we nerds are to deny that we spend a sizable portion of our lives either reliving or justifying media that is, in effect, an extension if not an outright replication of the stuff we liked as kids - in short, we're wasting our adulthood trying to rationalize why we wasted our childhood. A little harsh, maybe, but it does go some way towards explaining why there's now a whole online mini-industry dedicated to, effectively and with mixed success, lending the same cultural and intellectual weight to shallow kids' shows or games as would normally be present in Italo loving Calvino or something.

To be clear, I don't condemn the act of adults enjoying kids' entertainment; it's the rationalization that gets to me, basically Occ's "what you want vs. what it is" conflict by a different name. The mania with trying to "uplift" kids' media - with its simpler, more direct values, or easily approachable prose, or broad-strokes imagery, whatever quality you choose - into something you perceive as more "mature" is counter-productive at best and actively unpleasant at worst (see: the darker half of the already-disconcerting brony fandom, for example). It's why Occ and I had an argument over the in-episode treatment of Taserball-playing octopus men that eventually snowballed into a brief but nevertheless embarrassing diversion into the nature of moral relativism re: the Indian caste system. Learn from our example, gentle audience. Do not be like us.

Because I was comfortable with Doctor Who's primary audience and aim from the start, I never saw anything objectionable about the treatment of the Ood's captivity. I absolutely never wished for their servile instinct to be genuine and their widespread slavery to be racially beneficial, because again, Jesus loving Christ. There are weak parts of the episode, as there always tend to be with the run-shout breed of Who - the crane chase was ridiculous and overlong, some of the CGI pretty laughable, and the battle scenes were terribly shot, with misplaced muzzle flashes sprayed in the direction of Ood who never moved faster than a calm stroll. I wasn't enamored with the "central brain" concept either; it was clear from their first appearance that the Ood were basically illithids IN SPAAAAAACE, and the brain is at once terribly animated and makes the whole comparison way too pat.

But the morality? No problem at all, not even with the grotesque imagery in the final act. I've always thought that kids are really shortchanged as to their ability to handle horror and the grotesque in their entertainment (though I'm a bit of an outlier, my dad let me watch Lord of Illusion when I was nine and thus began a hideous slime-encrusted romance to last a lifetime), and the transformation of Mr. Halpen is no exception. There's a very E.C. comics vibe to the whole proceeding, where the transparently evil antagonist is dealt a horrific, ironic fate in the ending, which at once re-affirms the basic goodness of the universe and gives the little kiddies something to talk about in the playground as they boil ants with magnifying glasses (do kids still do that? Is there an app for it or what oh God I'm so out of touch). Donna says that she can no longer tell what's right or wrong, but she's speaking from a grown-up perspective - kids know that slavery's bad, and the bad guys get punished, and what happened to Mr. Halpen was very, very right.

I tend to rage, as I so often do with Davies, when the morality of a Who episode is muddled or contradictory, when the entire Earth burns but that's treated as okay because one character got a kiss. The morals of a Who episode are rarely that complex, but they should at least be clear, and "Planet of the Ood" is clear as can be, which is sort of one more reason why it's so unremarkable. All the baddies get electrocuted, the goodies get to take off in peace, and any lingering questions as to how an inherently subservient race would live or operate is left to other, more cerebral media. Good for them. Good for everyone. G-Ood.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe
Looking back now, I probably should have re-watched these episodes before guessing what you'd grade them. I predicted an A because I remembered this episode as having more emotional beats than it apparently does, so I figured enjoy it more. At least I was only one grade off this time.

Toxxupation posted:

[*] Donna: "Now that's what I call a spaceship. You got a box, he's got a Ferrari!" (The Doctor's little self-conscious gaze back at the TARDIS after this line is incredible.)

People making fun of the doctor for how crappy the Tardis looks from the outside never gets old, nor does his indignation.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Donna being the one who immediately grasps the significance of what the Ood carrying their brains in their hands means for them as a species is a brilliant moment, and I'm so glad that she got it and not the Doctor.

The episode is run-of-the-mill as it gets, though. That's not a bad thing, but it doesn't really cover any new ground or do anything that hasn't been done before in other episodes (and usually better). It's nice that they actually went back and addressed the issues around the Ood - personally I was glad that they revealed that no the Ood did NOT want to be slaves, and even if they had that in no way excused the horrible exploitation and dehumanization (for want of a better word) they suffered at the hands of humanity.

Once again I was struck by the moment where another character who looks like they COULD have been a companion or ally of the Doctor "fails" when everything goes bad. In Partners in Crime it was the journalist who lost it when things got weird. Here it is the Saleswoman who gets a moment where the Doctor pleads to her sense of good and right and she hesitates... and then screams for the guards to come and get them.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I actually really, really like Planet of the Ood, partially because it gets rid of the really uncomfortable ideas about the Ood from the earlier two-partner, and partially because when they really gently caress up the President guy with the Ood hair tonic, Tennant doesn't shout at them about the ways in which they're allowed to rebel against their slavers, which is important. Tennant has a habit of doing that but he just kind of shrugs and accepts it.

I like that his companion is the one who picks up on stuff for once, I like the cheesy Ood song. I suppose it is run of the mill in a lot of ways for that era of the show, but I just really like it. It's supposed to be cheesy and hopeful, that's kind of the point. :)

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I can see Occupation's take on the ood as sortof interesting, but I don't see any way you could possibly do that without seriously racist implications ("slavery is ok, other races were born to serve us!"). The ood are still pretty alien, although admittedly in a fairly unoriginal way.

thexerox123 posted:

I got the impression that "releasing" Ood Sigma wasn't actually a kind act at all... as he was letting him go to join his brethren in dying en masse while he made an escape. I think he didn't trust Ood Sigma to stand by his side as he killed the brain and thus all Ood.
Well Halpen could have just killed Sigma then or in the brain room if he didn't trust him rather than giving him a bit more time to live. I think we are supposed to read that as a minor act of mercy.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

When I first watched this I was really worried about the brain because a man fell onto it and kinda slid inside and I don't think thats good for brains!

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

Looking back now, I probably should have re-watched these episodes before guessing what you'd grade them. I predicted an A because I remembered this episode as having more emotional beats than it apparently does, so I figured enjoy it more. At least I was only one grade off this time.

Same here, I haven't watched any of season 4 since it first aired, so now as I re-watch the episodes before Occ puts up his reviews I realize how terrible my predictions were. I still think Donna alone justifies giving this episode a good score though.

Jerusalem posted:

Once again I was struck by the moment where another character who looks like they COULD have been a companion or ally of the Doctor "fails" when everything goes bad. In Partners in Crime it was the journalist who lost it when things got weird. Here it is the Saleswoman who gets a moment where the Doctor pleads to her sense of good and right and she hesitates... and then screams for the guards to come and get them.

I really liked this too. The show sometimes brings up the message that people can change for the better, but this moment shows that this kind of change doesn't just happen instantaneously, even though the hesitation indicated that the potential was there.

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Pwnstar posted:

When I first watched this I was really worried about the brain because a man fell onto it and kinda slid inside and I don't think thats good for brains!

That made me go, "What?" Now there's a whole dead body decomposing in there. I hope the Ood brain has a heavy-duty ultra-special space-alien immune system.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

thexerox123 posted:

It's actually not even this complicated. The ood in this episode are a kind of hamhanded reference to American slavery. Both the master releasing his favorite slave on his deathbed trope and the common belief at the time that black people could not survive outside slavery/did not want to be free. I have a feeling that this was mostly a response to the really loving uncomfortable and unironic use of that belief in the satan two-parter, but only because I doubt that rusty could have set a reveal up this far in advance.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The thing I always remember about this episode is not that okay-ish plot, but Donna's character development. She starts the series in The Runaway Bride as a thoroughly self-absorbed person, spends a long time looking for The Doctor to kinda get the thrills back, but then in her first two adventures out with him gets such a huge kick in the empathy it basically spins her around to being a much, much better person whilst still being Donna. It's that incredibly heavy personal impact of these first two standalone adventures that I always remember most.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

MikeJF posted:

The thing I always remember about this episode is not that okay-ish plot, but Donna's character development. She starts the series in The Runaway Bride as a thoroughly self-absorbed person, spends a long time looking for The Doctor to kinda get the thrills back, but then in her first two adventures out with him gets such a huge kick in the empathy it basically spins her around to being a much, much better person whilst still being Donna. It's that incredibly heavy personal impact of these first two standalone adventures that I always remember most.

Lots of Companions seem largely the same when they leave the Doctor as when they first meet him, despite the amazing things they witness. One of the best things about Donna is how you can tell even early on that when she and the Doctor eventually part she will be a radically different and better person for her travels with him.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Planet of the Ood Stats time!

This time people overestimated Toxx's enjoyment, as said upthread I think people expected the emotional beats to land better than they did. Also this is the first episode that someone guessed a D, I'm curious what Sighence thought toxx would dislike about the episode?

A
idonotlikepeas
Jsor
Senerio
Random Stranger
Zaggitz
Weird Sandwich
legoman727
Andwhatiseeisme
Regy Rusty

B
BSam
jng2058
adhuin
Soothing Vapors
Evil Sagan
FreezingInferno
One Swell Foop
Fucknag
thexerox123
Ohtsam
Go RV!
Rarity
Adder Moray

C
Xenoborg
M_Gargantua
Overmayor
NeuroticLich

D
Sighence

Which gives us new total scores of

Adder Moray 1
BSam 1
Fucknag 1
thexerox123 1
Zaggitz 1
Adhuin 2
Evil Sagan 2
Go RV 2
jng2058 2
M_Gargantua 2
ohtsam 2
Random Stranger 2
Rarity 2
Senerio 2
Soothing Vapors 2
Andwhatiseeisme 3
FreezingInferno 3
idonotlikepeas 3
Jsor 3
Legoman727 3
NeuroticLich 3
one Swell Foop 3
overmayor 3
Regy Rusty 3
Sighence 3
Xenoborg 3
Weird Sandwich 4

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Yeah this is one of my personal favorite episodes of the whole show. I really like the Ood.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I thought Occ would really swoon over the whole melodramatic Ood song thing, honestly.

Toxxupation posted:

Donna: "Is that why you travel around with a human at your side? It's not so you can show them the wonders of the universe, it's so you can take cheap shots." The Doctor: "Sorry." Donna: "Don't. Spaceman."
Donna is Literally The Best.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Little_wh0re posted:

Planet of the Ood Stats time!

This time people overestimated Toxx's enjoyment, as said upthread I think people expected the emotional beats to land better than they did. Also this is the first episode that someone guessed a D, I'm curious what Sighence thought toxx would dislike about the episode?

Guessing that he'd generally like these first three episodes wasn't hard, even if I thought that Toxx would be even more forgiving of this episode's faults than he was. On the other hand, from this point on the episodes become a bit more contentious even among fans which makes it when the game truly begins.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

Regy Rusty posted:

Yeah this is one of my personal favorite episodes of the whole show. I really like the Ood.

This was one of my favourites during the original run. Ood were such a good new mysterious race, only second to Weeping Angels.
Now on rewatch, it didn't have the same impact.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I don't know exactly why but for some reason this episode is as grey and bland as they come for me. Like I know it's not that bad but every time I go through a re-watch of Season 4 this is the episode that I just plain skip over because I couldn't care less about it. I love the Ood design, but everything else about them is just boring to me.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Oh no! My lead! My competitive advantage! My dreams-

OF CONQUEST!?!?!

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Welp.

I misread Occ pretty well there. He hit everything I expected but forgave it more than I thought he would. Specifically I thought the dude's Ooding would've killed the episode for him.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Sighence posted:

Welp.

I misread Occ pretty well there. He hit everything I expected but forgave it more than I thought he would. Specifically I thought the dude's Ooding would've killed the episode for him.

Am I the only one who didn't overthink this?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Rarity posted:

I didn't, and I think that's why this episode is so drat beige to me. Something about the Ood and their "mysterious prophetic alien" nature is just so cliched I could not care any less about it.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Rarity posted:

No I'd say 12 others didn't either. :v:

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Zaggitz posted:

Oh no! My lead! My competitive advantage! My dreams-

OF CONQUEST!?!?!

Yeah, eat it Zaggitz.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

The main thing I remember of this episode is a man gets eaten by a giant brain. It just tends to overpower everything else. I still like the Ood though.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

McDragon posted:

The main thing I remember of this episode is a man gets eaten by a giant brain.

It's a well-known fact that doctors are high in omega-3 fatty acids.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oxxidation posted:

It's a well-known fact that doctors are high in omega-3 fatty acids.

The 80s was a weird time for everything, but especially Doctor Who.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Wait I thought Colin Baker only got really pudgy AFTER he left the show?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Arivia posted:

Wait I thought Colin Baker only got really pudgy AFTER he left the show?

There was a year in-between his seasons due to some petty poo poo going on with the BBC at the time. He was careful not to work because he was in dispute with them over payment (they didn't want to pay him because he wasn't making any new Doctor Who, but that was only because THEY weren't allowing any new Doctor Who to be made!) so I gather he just spent a year doing nothing but eating, drinking and rewatching a videotape copy of Vengeance on Varos.

In his first season he was actually quite lean with a very defined jawline!

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Jerusalem posted:

There was a year in-between his seasons due to some petty poo poo going on with the BBC at the time. He was careful not to work because he was in dispute with them over payment (they didn't want to pay him because he wasn't making any new Doctor Who, but that was only because THEY weren't allowing any new Doctor Who to be made!) so I gather he just spent a year doing nothing but eating, drinking and rewatching a videotape copy of Vengeance on Varos.

In his first season he was actually quite lean with a very defined jawline!

Some people say it's a classic.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Plavski posted:

Some people say it's a classic.

There's no use trying to escape, I've locked all the doors.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
please don't quote [that], i want him to watch it - and as close to unspoiled as possible

DoctorWhat fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Oct 12, 2014

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

yup yup

Plavski fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Oct 12, 2014

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Why would he watch it? It's a succession of in-jokes that he won't get and it's got around as much to do with the show proper as, say, Doctor in Distress.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Republican Vampire posted:

Why would he watch it? It's a succession of in-jokes that he won't get and it's got around as much to do with the show proper as, say, Doctor in Distress.

I think DoctorWhat is hoping after he finishes with NuWho he'll go back and review every single episode of the classic series so he can get the jokes.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Plavski posted:

I think DoctorWhat is hoping after he finishes with NuWho he'll go back and review every single episode of the classic series so he can get the jokes.

DoctorWhat is kind of adorable. He's like a big silly puppy in terrible cosplay.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

Plavski posted:

Is... that not the plan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lipset and Rock On
Jan 18, 2009

Proposition Joe posted:

Is... that not the plan?

I don't think Toxx knows that yet, so keep it under your hat.

• Locked thread