Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

Less impressive (as usual) is Rose, who spends half the episode stuffed in a cupboard and rather improves things by her absence.

Traditionally the assistant's main job has been to get captured so the doctor interacts with interesting people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

Eh I refuse to spoil things for our OP hater here, but let's just say aside from "Blink" there is nothing from Series 2 or 3 that winds up in the "Best Of Doctor Who" collections and for good reason.

Edit: NM we'll talk about it when we get there.

Lets all cool down on talking about what we do or don't like in the upcoming season. Especially since the expectations he had going into Empty Child hurt his enjoyment a bit.

Xenoborg fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Aug 18, 2014

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

It warms my heart that Toxx is starting to understand the true nature of this show.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

This episode was the first I ever watched of Doctor Who and convinced me to watch the show after thinking it was probably something I wouldn't like. Its still in my top 3.

edit: Also one of my female friends found the clockwork robots to be the most terrifying aliens in doctor who to date for some reason.

Xenoborg fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Aug 25, 2014

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

How much independent control do the individual writers/directors of each episode have? Is this responsible for the dramatic shifts in tone and quality?

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

If you want to get nitpicky on the science:

A star system falling into the black hole, an event that would take millions of years, happened in a matter of hours. Therefore they are experiencing very powerful time dilation. For a billion fold time dilation they must be very nearly at the event horizon. This is far closer than closest stable orbit for a free falling object, which is 150% the radius of the event horizon.

edit: To the above, the being torn apart by tidal forces doesn't apply in this case since the Roche limit of super massive black hole is inside the event horizon.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Loved the episode, but have to say Doctor Who has some of the worst gun shooting CGI I have ever seen.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

PantsOptional posted:

It's not really about the accents. BBC America has the rights to distribute Broadchurch proper (and has been showing it), so if Fox has to do a remake anyway they might as well go whole-hog.

That's bizarre, they don't have the rights to show it, but they can make a shot by shot remake?

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

My first reaction was actually wondering if she was in fact the same character, but then I remembered that she'd died so I was really confused.

It was pretty jarring, but they did have a throwaway line about her having a sister that died in that building.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

What, that was Mark Gatiss? I'd never have noticed that, and I just rewatched it again.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

There was an entire 26 episode season where the villain in every story was the Master.

Hahaha, what?

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Its worth mentioning that the studio and most of the filming takes place in Cardiff so they like to use it when they can. Even when an episode takes place in "London" you can sometimes tell it's Cardiff by landmarks, similar to so many American TV shows being shot in Vancouver.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

The best part is the Master was Secretary of Defense/Prime Minister. He could get C4 or whatever if he wanted, big cartoony sticks of dynamite are just more his style.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Did your "On the next time" segment at the end of Voyage not spoil Donna for you, or do you just not watch those.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Just one more then I'll cut back I swear.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycKXcCDsxDc
There was even more pointless dialog in Voyage and Rusty is a bit sad he had to take it out.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Boy did I overestimate this episode with rose colored glasses. I guess the only real thing I remember liking was the UNIT commander's speech about aliens looking down on them and fighting back with their own technology. Well that are the "Are you my mummy" reference. Neither of which even got a mention in the review.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGx7c-QBotE
The German Daleks always crack me the gently caress up.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

At this point, I wouldn't mind taking like a two or three year hiatus from the both of them. It would give them a chance to work on some new spooky bad guys or to bring back some of the more rarely used ones in interesting ways.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a contact saying they have to have at least one episode featuring Daleks or Cybermen as the villains every year.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

I don't know what possessed me to give that a B, I really should have re-watched these first.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

My favorite from the 9 and 10 era was definitely the song they played whenever they were talking about the time lords. Best part is the violin(maybe?) solo that start at about 1 min.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMdN7yZxM3k

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Craptacular! posted:

So, someone calls the TARDIS, and the TARDIS does a reverse "putting you on hold" by putting you through at some point in the Doctor's life when he had nothing else to do?

I kind of like this idea of being able to give the TARDIS an SOS call, and not know which Doctor you're going to get when it arrives.

This was basically the lead in to the Library episode wasn't it.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

thexerox123 posted:

Well Civ: Beyond Earth is supposed to be pretty good!

Beyond Earth is pretty much just a $60 full conversion mod of Civ V. If you didn't like V, you won't like BE. If you got bored with V you'll get bored with BE even faster since so much was gutted.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

The forest in the spaceship is a cool, unorthodox bit of sci-fi that helped differentiate the episodes' environment from the usual gray corridors, though they're not tree-borgs, they're cy-trees, "borg" means organic and god drat it you are calling them tree-trees. Moffat's son pointed this out to him, originally. He sent him to his room.

Probably sent him to the room that had The Crack in it. I'm pretty sure in an interview he said the The Crack in Doctor Who was inspired by one his kids were afraid of.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

adhuin posted:

Few weeks skipped and we have Xenoborg as the new no.1.
Otherwise same bunch on the top, except Regy_rusty who has fallen down down down.

This won't last long with the upcoming 2 parter. I didn't like them, but apparently over the years I'd forgotten how bad they were.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

cargohills posted:

I gave this one a B. No idea why. I was doing so well, too!

Same, I remembered it being bland by not offensive. I doubled my points off with this one.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

The football scene would have been great if it was half as long. I cracked up when they started playing the epic battle music over it.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Toxxupation posted:

I cannot loving believe that the bad guy in rose is plot crucial to "The Pandorica Opens"

I cannot loving believe this loving bullshit

Hey Occ from 6 months ago, remember when you rightly said you hated nearly all of that poo poo? WELL GUESS WHAT MOTHER FUCKER IT'S GONNA BE INTEGRAL TO AN EPISODE YOU ADORE A HALF YEAR LATER

More Moffat cleaning up RTD's mess.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

The Greys are the first Dr Who monster since my childhood that properly scared me. Sure the Angles were freaky, but statues like that aren't everywhere. The Greys however could be in your room right now and you would never know.

Also

quote:

"You have that face again."
"What face?"
"The he's hot when he's clever face"
"This is my normal face"
"Yes it is""

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

For all the faults of this episode, the climax/monologue is still one of my favorites ever in Doctor Who.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

I loved the Doctor trying to hook up Amy and Rory. "What do humans do when they are together? Texting and scones, lets offer that."

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

This is the first episode in this whole thread I cant bring myself to re-watch.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

I lost my poo poo at the Doctor Who bit at the end.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

At least It has Davos still being the best captain ever and Edmure still loving everything up.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

I think having the War Doctor see that the Daleks are still up and running would hurt the episode and make his initial choice to end the time war a no brainier since hes got proof it didn't work anyway. On that note either of the doctors could have just told him that the Daleks survived. Buuuut I guess that the Daleks might have only survived to build up again because the War Doctor DIDNT end up using the Moment, so who knows.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

"What I really want to do is accept your total surrender, and I'll let you go in peace... Actually, you got me, I'm lying, nice thought, but its not Christmas." The whole Day of the Moon speech actually.

Xenoborg fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jun 24, 2015

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Toxxupation posted:

what's that song that plays immediately when eleven regenerates into twelve

Seems to be just for this episode
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_ek4LaIMic

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

I always figured that Tasha Lem was suposed to be River, but that it had to get cut because of whatever production issue. Their dialog was exactly the same as Doctor Vs River.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Cool, I got 3rd on the overall by just voting what I personally thought. Way to be me Toxx. Oddly enough those from your descriptions I think I'm much closer to being Occ. Shame he didn't grade along with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Mortanis posted:

Also, that new CG TARDIS in intro is clearly the worst part of the new season and my god I can't not bitch about it every time I see it. Have to agree there.

At least we got to keep the face.

• Locked thread