Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

If he hates it this bad right now, I can't wait til he gets to "Let's Kill Hitler." I mean, that poo poo is where I stopped liking New Who, and I'm pretty spergy about Doctor Who.

(Tom Baker 4 Life)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

MrL_JaKiri posted:

you like some Doctor Who episodes but don't like some other ones
Whenever the new main Doctor Who thread gets made this should be the title.

Seconded

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Aliens of London is pretty terrible. If anyone but Eccleston had been the Doctor, I'd never have gotten into it. But, boy, is most of Eccleston's season terrible aside from his acting elevating the story.

(Now I like all the Doctors, mainly for their acting.)

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

I really liked this episode when I was first getting into the show, but I rewatched it recently, and it's pretty dumb. It's OK, and I like the Doctor just screwing Adam over at the end. That's pretty funny to me.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

MrL_JaKiri posted:

In the pre-run publicity RTD said something along the lines of "The Doctor has two hearts and both can be broken" and everyone groaned.

Oh wow. That is bad.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

Baseball is stupid.

Most things are stupid. And there are still fans of them.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances hold up fairly well, unlike a lot of series one. I enjoy the Hell out of the cliffhanger.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

I like Doctor Who, and I like seeing the opinions of someone who does not like Doctor Who. That is all I want out of this thread.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

I kind of like "Boom Town" but I more or less completely agree with this statement:

Toxxupation posted:

gently caress this piece of poo poo show, gently caress you Russell T. Davies, you're a lazy hack piece of poo poo screenwriter who completely violated the most basic, most integral tenet of a storyteller, don't lie to your audience. Christ.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Good luck with the next episode. And season. I really think season two may be the worst of the revival.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Well, this is a surprising grade.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Toxxupation posted:

[*] I feel bad for not giving an episode of Doctor Who an A. I loving despise all of you for what you've done to me.

That's funny, because this is one of my least favorite episodes.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Say what you will about the Cybermen in this episode, it's still nowhere near as bad a story as "Silver Nemesis." (Which I know Occupation will never watch. And he's better off for it.)

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Zaggitz posted:

Refer to my previous posts you pleblord.

Listen, I love the Cybermen Excellenting All Around as much as one guy can, but that serial is incredibly Awful.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

"Love and Monsters" is an episode that I love BECAUSE it's so terrible. Unlike most bad episodes, this one is hilariously bad, not just painful to watch.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Stairs posted:

I love how Elton being into rock is considered both the best and worst aspects of this episode.

5'd, again.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Gynovore posted:

9/Adric/Master fanfics

The idea of this horrifies me.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

EDIT: Don't open this til after you've seen the next episode. Jerusalem has corrected me. It's a pretty funny cartoon about something that happens in the next episode. Forgive me.

I think this is part of the cliffhanger of the newest episode. Forgive me if I'm not remembering right, and in case it isn't, I'm not posting it directly. Either way, it's a pretty funny joke and maybe don't open it til you watch the next episode.

http://imgur.com/qpMagnN

egon_beeblebrox fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Sep 7, 2014

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, that's from the start of the next episode.

Thanks, so don't open my previous image til you've seen the next episode. I'm editing it now.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

I love a lot of the Big Finish stories, too, don't get me wrong, but given Occupation's lukewarm reaction to the revival this far in, it wouldn't be a bad idea to drop trying to recommend various audio stories in this thread. It took me a long time to give Big Finish a shot, and that's after having watched all the way through series five of the new show and a ton of the old show.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Toxxupation posted:

Oh, yeah, right, Top Ten Episodes Occupation Has Thus Far Seen:

10. "The Impossible Planet"
9. "Dalek"
8. "Father's Day"
7. "The Girl in the Fireplace"
6. "Doomsday"
5. "Army of Ghosts"
4. "The Satan Pit"
3. "The Empty Child"
2. "The Christmas Invasion"
1. "The Doctor Dances"

That's a fair list.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Toxxupation posted:

BLINK

BLINK AND YOU'RE DEAD

Yeah, that "Next Time" trailer grabs the attention, doesn't it?

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

I read the book this two-parter is based on and did not care for it. The series version is much better.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Cassandra Tarp-Face is probably the worst villain in New Who. I hate her even more than the Absorbing dude from Love and Monsters.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

I'm going to have to rewatch this, because I don't remember the cartoon dynamite. I probably hated it at the time, and at this point, I think it would crack me up.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Best post in the thread.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

kant posted:

I really wish we could watch part 2 live. Words aren't going to do it justice. :(

Yeah, had any of the other episodes after "Blink" been chosen, I'd have chatted about it. Nothing to say about the quality of each, but it would have been more interesting. "Blink" is great, but not much fun to talk about, since pretty much everyone has said pretty much everything about it.

egon_beeblebrox fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Sep 30, 2014

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

This is the only episode Occ's reviews have changed my mind about. I remember disliking it, but, seen through his lens, it's a pretty great, bizarre, hilarious episode. I still think it's bad Doctor Who, but this review made me realize, that's not necessarily a Bad Thing.

re: Grits

Tim Burns Effect posted:

Usually with an ungodly amount of butter and salt, just like all other food that's popular in the Southern US.

It's pretty great served over eggs and cheese, with bacon on the side. Or, instead of bacon, fatback. Which is disgusting.

Anyway, I agree with the idea of watching "Time Crash." It's available on Youtube, and it'll be interesting to get Occ and Oxx's views on it. Plus it's only like 4 minutes long.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

marktheando posted:

There are other reasons I dislike this interpretation of the Master but I can't really talk about it without spoilers. However, he is better than the Eric Roberts version of the Master.

Eric Roberts is terrible except for the part where he's just dicking around and correcting grammar. That part is great, and Roberts owns it.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

The only Sontaran story I've liked is "The Sontaran Experiment," the Fourth Doctor's third serial. It was good, and it was short. And every other Sontaran story has irritated me in one way or the other. So it's been around 40 years since I've liked Sontarans at all.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Please God tell me that is not a real quote.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

It's Thanksgiving, most people in the US have families to quietly resent around this time.

The MST3K marathon on Youtube today has taken up all my time. Way better usage than dealing with the family.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Jurgan posted:

I don't think this episode is bad, per se, just incredibly over the top and campy. In other words, why wouldn't Toxx like it? Okay, he won't know who the gently caress Timothy Dalton is playing.

Yeah, I really kind of like this two-parter, even though it's pretty bad. It's kind of lovably bad in how silly it is, and Wilf is always great. Also, Timothy Dalton can be terrible anywhere he wants, I will still watch him.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Eleventh Hour almost seems like a Douglas Adams story, which is fine by me.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Toxxupation posted:

Doctor Who
"The Eleventh Hour"
Series 5, Episode 1

Now that's more like it!

Agreed.

I got my sister into the show with it. She'd seen a few episodes with Tennant and Eccleston, and didn't like them much. But she said "Suddenly it's more of a sci-fi sitcom and it works." It's a pretty fair description of this episode.

egon_beeblebrox fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jan 4, 2015

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

jng2058 posted:

Well she's got the dead eyed stare of an apocalypse survivor down. I'm a fan of Sarah Jane Smith and Liz Slaydon, but man those credits make her look like she's been cyber-converted or something!

I like to think she was just incredibly high, because you'd have to be to star in a K-9 sitcom.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It wasn't a sitcom, the first (and only) episode involved attempting to stop human sacrifice

I'm still imagining it as a sitcom, complete with laugh track.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

I think typing ABACAB til I ran out of series five episodes, that may have been a bad time to make a Phil Collins joke.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Soothing Vapors posted:

Opinion: Matt Smith and Moffat are cool and good. Well, that's my hot take
Murray Gold could make taking a dump seem bombastic and thrilling

I agree some of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008