Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

Jsor posted:

You're thinking of "failing" wrong. Movies fail in the technical sense that 2+2 fails at being greater than 5. It's just an inexact sorting mechanism. Yes, some stupid people blindly apply it in a needlessly stringent way; that doesn't mean it's invalid, it means those people are idiots.

On the whole the test says something significant about the way we produce and consume media. Yes, there are exceptions, but the reason the Bechdel test works is because, though it's inexact, it has (relatively) clear and objective criteria. The test would be even worse if it wanted you to sort movies that are feminist and movies that aren't because that's an inherently subjective critique.

I use the knife to sacrifice a cow and summon forth the dread god Feministargumentgorgoth.

That doesn't pass the Bechdel test.
It must be used by a woman on another woman, without said persons referencing any males!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

Android Blues posted:

Actually, I'd probably have thought the same thing but someone checked and the Davies era passes far more often - in the case of one companion's tenure, in every single episode she's in.

The Davies era passes the test around 80% to 100% of the time, has more female speaking time per episode and more women in the cast on average, while the Moffat era passes around 50% of the time. Here's a link to an infographic chart they made.

I was surprised that Rose wasn't the longest running companion. She only felt like that. :v:

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

Based on chatblock it is an A?

Clearly a peak episode of Doctor Who! :getin:

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

I'd otherwise give this review an A, but the stone-blowjob meltdown at the end drops it to an F.

Just kidding. Still an A. Would read again.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

In before:

toxu posted:

gently caress gently caress FUUUUUCKKKKK!!!!!

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

Don't do this. --Annakie

Somebody fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Sep 11, 2014

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

The best thing about the Weeping Angels in this episode is their simplicity of design. Keep your eyes on them and your completely safe, look away and you're gone the second they touch you. No convoluted overly-complicated traps, no nonsensical monster designs, no quasi-magical powers. Just simple, elegant design.

It's fun to notice, that the Weeping Angels don't ever move on camera, even if the characters aren't looking.
That is because YOU are watching them! (insert spooky noises)

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

If I calculated correctly, there are 76 episodes + full length specials left to review. Divide that by 2 and you get 38 more weeks of reviews plus Christmas break.
You'll be finished sometime during the Summer. :v:

Then add 41 episodes of Torchwood...

Issaries fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Oct 2, 2014

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

Yes and the Christmas special as they will be all broadcast this year.

Issaries fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Oct 2, 2014

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

marktheando posted:

Well the Doctor didn't go to school with those spider babies or the family of blood.

And yes this episode is so terrible. Jesus Doctor is the worst thing ever to appear in Doctor Who, I hate it more than pavement blowjobs even.

Pretty much. All three season have had two-parters that started great, but plummeted somewhere during the second episode.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

So the Deadline for the Ocxxlottery is monday-ish?

Now to decide, whether I can truly predict Toxxus mind or just send my personal scores in and wear the (probably high) score as badge of honour.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

Oh good. I submitted my line already. :D

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

On Contrary, leave the Old Who behind and enjoy the sound of modern day Who. :cool:

Preferrably the Eight Doctor Adventures, but DoctorWhat and others probably can prescribe deeper cuts from the whole range.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

Arivia posted:

This line from the OP is very, very funny now.

Only thing funnier would have been the same fan conversion happening, while he was reviewing the Last Man Standing.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

Isn't this the most watched episode of Who ever?

People have no taste.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

Lycus posted:

I think that just means that a lot of people heard good things about Who, watched the episode, then hated it so much they never watched Who again.

Or stunt-casting a Pop-star was a huge success.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

This is even worse than the poo poo you send to Eurovision!

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

Billie Piper everyone:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HS89g2-rnM0

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

legoman727 posted:

If we're thinking of the same one, then yeah, that one is just offensively bad, and I am just looking forward to seeing how Occ feels about it.

I can think one too, but there's a good change we're all thinking different episodes!

EDIT: HAH! We compared our worst episodes on the other thread and they were completely different!

Issaries fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Oct 5, 2014

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

I'd have to go with Susie Miller or Molly O'Sullivan.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

DoctorWhat posted:

The Frobisher/Evelyn/Six Dream Team will now never come to pass :sad:

I can't wait for the holo-technology improve, so that we can have 20* Doctors-special with all the original doctors in the same story.

*I assume it won't be for a while.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

Noble Effort! Would watch again! And Again!:

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

It might start as few episodes Firefly, but soon you'd be doing lines of Dollhouse off a hookers rear end and enjoying it from a feminist perspective. :getin:

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

This is a fun little episode, but I prefer Partners in Crime over it.

Best laughs I had this episode:
Tardis as a modern piece of art the dad bought.
Soothsayer-off with Lucius and Evelina.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

He was literally God from a blue box. Maybe someone could translate it into Latin.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

Regy Rusty posted:

Yeah this is one of my personal favorite episodes of the whole show. I really like the Ood.

This was one of my favourites during the original run. Ood were such a good new mysterious race, only second to Weeping Angels.
Now on rewatch, it didn't have the same impact.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

a Better analogue would be the 1st Halloween special of the Community, where Jeff (OCC) skips the Annie's (hcreight) Halloween party to woo the Professor Slater (Doctor Who) like a grown up. the People leave the livewatch, because there's no cool people in it.

It all ends up with Oxxidation building a giant fortress out of chairs while tripping out.
I don't know how that relates to the analogue, but Oxxidation is definitely Pierce.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

cool kids inc. posted:

Does that make Doctor What Troy or Abed?

Important questions asked, here ITT.

Abed in his Inspector Spacetime costume would be a perfect fit. Too bad that isn't suitable for a season 1 analogue.

Issaries fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Oct 13, 2014

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

Toxxupation posted:

[*] Thank loving god this isn't the end of Martha's return to Who. If she was brought back for just this lovely two-parter where for most of it, Agyeman didn't even get to play her own loving character I would've screamed.

If you ever feel needing more Martha-episodes, she's was in couple of episodes in Torchwood. :)

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

Little_wh0re posted:

<snip>

So congrats Adhuin!

This means, y'all should listen my recommendations of Torchwood seriously. All your favourite Who-companions in one series. :getin:

Also the 8th Doctor Adventures-Audiodramas. They're really like New-Who episodes for your ears.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

Dabir posted:

I was just looking up Dalek on Wikipedia and you'll never guess who's listed as script editor.

Only Helen Raynor.

But Dalek was good!

Check her IMDB-credit list. She has single-handedly Script-edited all the best episodes of 4 first seasons of Doctor Who!
(The Unquiet Dead, Dalek, Empty Child 1&2, Girl in the Fireplace, Blink, + couple episodes later this season)

Issaries fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Oct 18, 2014

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

Soothing Vapors posted:

look as long as we can keep up the pretense there's a chance we can still get into heaven alright

Too bad you're going to the place with Torch...

poo poo I'm starting another round of flagellation about that series. :(

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

Solvency posted:

I've always thought that true A.I. would perfer Dogs over people, because they can be trained to obey and actually listen.

Oh look this Meatsack thinks he's better than other Meatsacks. :smug:<activates head patting subroutine>

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

Soothing Vapors posted:

Wait, what? Who fans don't like River? How can anyone not like River

Some of them are even Donna-haters! People can be weird, Who fans are.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

Rarity posted:

Dammit dammit dammit. I can't stand this episode but I know everyone loves it so I figured Toxx would too :smith:

Just be glad that there wasn't a surprise Blowjob Cinderblock-moment tanking the score to F.
(Love & Monsters was an A- or B-episode. :argh:)

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

I'm predicting that Weird Sandwich and Sighence will break the 20 points by the end of the season.
Idonotlikepeas changes are smaller, but we believe in you! :)

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

And now you're exposed to the Torchwood, with nowhere to run. :getin:

Oh and Sarah Jane Something, but who cares about that.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

MrL_JaKiri posted:

How well would predicting all B's have gone

Better than Weird Sandwich Half of the contestants!

14 if I counted correctly. There was 2 F-scores, that each gave 4 points for B-guess.

So basically everyone is one Surprise F-episode away from being a monkey throwing feces at a Dartboard :)

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

THUD! THUD! THUUUUUUUDDD!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

mind the walrus posted:

I personally won't consider this thread a success until Occ is dressed up as his favorite Classic Doctor at a convention with Oxx there as one of his canon companions (bonus points if it's a Big Finish-only companion).

Most Important questions: Does 8th and Big Finish count?

If not, I'd guess Hartnell and Susan.

If yes, McGann and Susan. (sorry oxx.)

Issaries fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Nov 11, 2014

• Locked thread