Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Overmayor posted:

I have seen Planet of the Dead. I know this for a fact, because I remember a line of dialogue from toward the end. I remember LITERALLY nothing else other than that there's a desert or something. It's like 42, except it's even more nothing.

You remember the posh pretty thief. She was too annoying to forget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

GonSmithe posted:

Well, I know what I'm doing when I get home. Finally watching this episode because I've never actually seen it.

You are in for a treat.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Burkion posted:

Honestly if there's one thing to take from all this?

Doctors 9 and 10 are PUSSIES compared to the older Doctors.

gently caress YEAH BASH SKULLS IN WITH SHOVELS AND MURDER THE WITNESSES :black101:

He does spend some time moping about the things he had to do in the Time War. It's not necessarily bad characterization for a guy who saw the horrors of war up close to try to become a pacifist.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Tennant is 6'1, Smith is 5'11

While he might not be short, Tennant is skinny as hell.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Huh, I thought a timelord giving his life just to save a single elderly human was blindingly stupid. Wilf's a nice guy, but his best years are long behind him and he'll be dead soon regardless. His children are grown, he's not having any more, and he isn't essential to anyone's survival. It is a meaningless sacrifice.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

DetoxP posted:

Are you a sociopath? Just because a guy isn't going to have any more children doesn't make his life pointless :wtf:

I just meant that he has no dependants. No one will be tragically going hungry or put in government care if he dies a couple years early. It's sad, but in the grand scheme of things Wilf is bound to accomplish less in his remaining years than the Doctor could in however long (potentially centuries) he'd have before something else forced him to regenerate.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Arsenic Lupin posted:

He did decide that what both Mickey and Martha needed, even though each of them already had a partner defined in the canon, was to hook up. Why? Give me a reason that doesn't boil down to "gee, they're both black."

Possibly because hanging out with the Doctor and experiencing too much time/space/aliens shenanigans changes you. It changed Martha enough that she joined UNIT instead of working in a hospital for the rest of her life. There are numerous other example of even a single significant encounter disrupting lives. But canonically most humans forget, or write it off, or just try to ignore the weird things that are inconsistent with their understanding of reality.

Micky was an unmotivated lower-class guy who would never have been a match for Dr. Martha, but then shenanigans happened. He didn't get as big a dose as Martha, but he got enough to understand her. To understand what she'd been through, but still not hold her in any sort of awe as one of the Doctor's chosen companions. Due to her experiences Martha joined UNIT and had her own adventures, and Micky is good enough to have been her companion. A strong, healthy young man who won't freeze up or freak out when weirdness happens is useful. From there a relationship could develop naturally.

We don't see any of that, but it could happen.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

sbaldrick posted:

I honestly haven't watched Red Dwarf at all since like an episode into back to earth where I gave up on it completely.

I did just however find out the reason for the huge gap in the series in the early 90's is because Craig Charles was falsely accused of rape.

Back to Earth was terrible. Series 10 was pretty good, but strange. They are all old and wrinkly, even Kryten is wrinkly around the eyes. Which makes sense since the show started in 1988. Luckily none of the actors got really fat, but they are greying and jowly. No one acknowledges this.

Facebook Aunt fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Dec 3, 2014

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The Atraxi are firm believers in Castle Doctrine. If someone comes to your planet without an invitation, you have the right to evict them by any means necessary.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

Couldn't someone behind the scenes have been working on an actual spaceship while this whole thing was going on. You know, let a few scientists be aware of it and have them tasked with the hope of one day making the space whale torture not the only option?

They are kind of limited on resources. It isn't a mining ship. It's not much of a ship at all, just a platform strapped to an animal. Literally something thrown together at the last possible minute before the UK got totally cooked by the sun. A generational ship ought to have a refinery and fabrication facilities, but no telling if it does or not.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

howe_sam posted:

You know, if you just removed one stupendously dumb scene, this would've been a pure stupid fun episode.

I'm sure everyone agrees. Now lets all argue about which scene should be removed.

I vote for defusing an android bomb with the power of love.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Who cares about the final speech? The important thing is that we learned the Doctor has space teeth.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

DoctorWhat posted:

what has happened to me

Looks like a rough regeneration.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Jurgan posted:

I really hated River's line about "leaving the brakes on." There's a lot of talk about River as a wish-fulfillment/Mary Sue type character, and having her know how to fly the TARDIS better than The Doctor doesn't help.

To be fair, the Doctor may not be very good at driving the TARDIS. The TARDIS in incomprehensibly complex, and it probably doesn't help that the control console changes periodically. If he went to TARDIS school, well, it was a long time ago. Everybody's grandpa thinks he is a great driver.

At this early point in the series we already know River loves to tweak his nose. If she, as an archeologist, ever came across any scrap of TARDIS information she would pour over it looking for anything she could use. It isn't inconceivable that should could have found a couple tricks he didn't know or had long ago forgotten.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Yvonmukluk posted:

But every other TARDIS in the classic series makes the noise. Are they all leaving the brakes on too?

Yes. :colbert:

Or maybe River was fibbing a bit. Maybe the blue switches mute the noise, and really are just boringers.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Oxxidation posted:

It's an action/adventure game that's basically one long loot grind. You have very large, very angry monsters (most of them dinosaurs or basically dinosaur-shaped) trotting around some little village somewhere, and you must sally forth and kill them and make things out their corpses with which to kill bigger monsters.

Why don't the villagers just move somewhere else?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Having the angels be fooled by pretending you can see was the only change to the angels that bothered me in the moment. That absolutely shouldn't work. Even the Doctor knows it shouldn't work. The rule was never, "Don't even blink. But if you have to blink, pretend that you're not blinking." Now these particular angels had spent centuries starving, dying, eroding so maybe they weren't at their best and that let it work for a few seconds. Ehhh, maybe.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Craptacular! posted:

I'm reminded this is the first time the Angels aren't frequently seen in their trademark "weeping" pose. There's the TV scene, and that's is. Meanwhile, in Blink they kept the pose up until you were an inch from their nose.

It's likely as a result of Moffat trying to weaponize their eyes, and yeah we all know that they have hideous faces with big fangs, but it's like a dalek episode where they keep their salt shakers open and chat to each other as the fried-egg octopi they are.

They cover their faces so they don't freeze each other, somehow these particular angels came up with a way to not freeze each other. An army of normal weeping angels would be senseless, they'd all freeze, so they would never ever put dozens of them in a room together. Somehow these guys came up with a way to overcome that, assembled an army of angels, and ate the entire population of a planet. And then . . . all decided to go hang out in a catacomb.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Filox posted:

I finished watching Gracepoint and developed a severe aversion to the actor playing the preacherman in the American remake. He couldn't say a single word without coming off as weird and unctuous as hell. I thought there could be no character in the story worse than the stupid psychic, until I saw the American-version preacher.

Then Broadchurch came back and I appreciate Arthur Darvill more than ever. He's been in two or three scenes so far and he's fantastic.

Can we get him to be the next Doctor or would that be too weird?

That makes perfect sense. He's unimpressed by the Doctor because he is the Doctor.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

fatherboxx posted:

I did not mean nerd as "someone who probably watches Doctor Who religiously" but rather a spineless wimp that nerds can easily identify with

But, he's not? He believed something was up with the coma patients. Everyone at work told him he was wrong, and maybe a bit crazy, and he should drop it. He stuck to his guns and took pictures to try to prove that something was wrong. He kept trying to bring up the crazy thing, even to the point where it hurt his career.

He's not spineless and he's not a wimp. He doesn't have the suave confidence of the Doctor or Captain Jack, but he's not someone housebound with crippling social anxiety either.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I was very annoyed with this episode the first time I saw it. The fish monsters were dumb. I think I groaned out loud when I saw the male fish monster crumble to dust because it got caught in a reflected beam of sunlight. That's not how fish work!

Their plan was to turn women into space fish. Why use women for that at all? If they are doing such a profound change, and one that leaves little to none of the original DNA or memory anyway, wouldn't almost any animal the right size have worked just as well? Like dolphins or sharks or alligators. They had no respect for the culture or lives of the human savages, so why not swim out to an uninhabited area to restart their civilization rather than trying to settle in the filthy canals of Venice? Settling in Venice sets them up for centuries of war.

Then she just gives up. Oh well, first try failed. Might as well kill myself out of spite. :argh:

On a second watch Rory was really great. I wasn't expecting anything from the space fish so I didn't pay much attention to them, and the human characters shone through.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

thexerox123 posted:

They're aliens, not fish.

They were out in the sun lots and lots during the episode. All they did was his a bit and try to stand in the shade. Then suddenly a tiny reflection is enough to go poof! If sunlight were that dangerous to them, then they wouldn't be going outside during the day at all.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Tiggum posted:

This really annoyed me when I watched the episode, but it's only the most egregious example of this episode's total disregard for consistency.

I actually like it better having seen these reviews. As a story about vampire fish from space it is a mess. As a story about Rory, about Rory just getting on with it and dealing with absurd impossible things, it is great. The Rory story is almost perfect. It sort of makes me forgive the weak vampire fish from space story, because the episode isn't really about them, they are just a silly prop.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

adhuin posted:

Didn't you get banished from the thread or something?

Time can be rewritten.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Bicyclops posted:

There is something very "slap some spots and a forehead ridge on a bald wig and call it a day" Star Trek about it, I'll give you that. It works for the Silurians, though, because they're actually supposed to make you feel like they're vaguely humanoid, and it gives the actors their full range of movement without having to rely on CG, which I think was important.

I don't want to be the lone voice defending this episode because I don't actually like very much at all. :(

I agree, silurians basically being humans with funny skin wasn't as bad as most startrek aliens. Silurians are Earthlings. They must have DNA very much like ours. We have a distant common ancestor. Head + torso + 4 limbs is a very popular design among vertebrates that evolved on Earth. Silurians being basic humanoids is much less troublesome than any alien being a humanoid, and Doctor Who has plenty of humanoid aliens.

In the original series they were green lizard men. Making them Cassowary men would have been more fun, but as green lizard men go they are pretty good green lizard men.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

It's really masterful the way they lulled us into semi-consciousness with a dull as dirt 2 parter, and then just when you're giving a thankful sigh that it is nearly over . . . wham! Right in the Rory.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Toxxupation posted:

Oh, and let me just say- the way the climax is resolved, with The Doctor literally instructing three people, one of whom is a child, to somehow miraculously prepare the Earth for a race of sentient lizard-men to arrive in a loving millenium, stretches believability even for Doctor Who. Has Chibnall never googled the words "Lizard-Men"? Has he never heard of the crazy conspiracy theory that's also SUPER anti-Semitic about how a race of Lizard People are going to try to take over the Earth? The one that's been around for half a century, at least? The one that's so prevalent, so well-known as a crazy conspiracy theory that it's literally comic shorthand for "crazy conspiracy theorists"? I mean, at least Obama birth certificate people and vaxxers and truthers, they at least have some level of cultural legitimacy, as opposed to lizard people conspiracy theorists being the loving laughingstock of everyone who's not them. Even for Doctor Who the episode being resolved with Eleven just telling three people, three people from Wales no less, to magically convince everyone else that lizard people both exist and are gonna arrive long after everyone is dead when the entire planet can't even agree that climate change, a thing thousands and thousands of qualified experts in their fields agree exists and is a world-threatening problem that will affect most people alive and politically relevant right now- and if not us certainly our children and definitely our children's children, is a thing that exists and we desperately need to address makes this entire resolution completely, utterly unbelievable. Even for Doctor Who, a show about literally anything, there's things that can break immersion, and what Eleven tasks Ambrose and her husband and kid to do crosses that line especially considering the cultural cachet right now that "Lizard People" have. It's loving absurd.

When I first watched this I thought it was asinine to depend on loving Ambrose and her family to prepare the earth for the return of the Silurians. But after thinking about it I doubt he really expects the most useless family in wales to accomplish anything. And it doesn't matter.

The sun comes up tomorrow and the rest of the crew returns to the site: a multi-billion dollar drill is trashed, two people are missing and there are signs of violence. Both talking about what happened or hiding what happened is going to make the family look guilty as gently caress. The best possible outcome for the family is that UNIT shows up and hushes the whole thing up. The family is going to be consumed with more important things like "not being locked up" and "finding a new job after the suspicious destruction of your last workplace".

Luckily it doesn't matter, because the Doctor knows that earth in 1000 years is a very different place. Humans will have caught up technologically, so the Silurians starting a war will make even less sense. Humans will have colonized other planets, so sharing won't be such a big deal. Oh, and according to The Beast Below, right around 3000 AD the surface of the planet becomes uninhabitable due to solar flares. That's right, in an episode where so many things didn't matter because of other things, the Doctor has timed it so that it doesn't matter at all that Ambrose's family is given an impossible task. The Silurians will wake up just in time to see humanity abandoning the planet entirely.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

MikeJF posted:

Maybe Silurians are immune to that much radiation.

Maybe the Doctor is just a prankster. He pops back in 1000 years to tell them that he's got some good news and some bad news.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Grouchio posted:

WHY THE gently caress DID I VOTE FOR A!? :gonk:

Ah well the Pats trolled the seahawks at least.

Some people were just voting for the last 10 minutes.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Please make a new review soon. Please.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Maybe instead of taking him to a museum, they should have taken Vincent to a 27th century medical center to get his brain fixed. :colbert:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Soothing Vapors posted:

Can we talk about that?

Or we could just sit quietly and wait for the next review.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

It is a bit silly the way it resorts to Bill and Ted's rules of time travel. I guess they don't usually do that sort of thing because crossing your own timestream to leave notes for your past self to find is dangerous. Really, really, dangerous. He just didn't harp about how dangerous it was because there wasn't time in the episode for it.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

death .cab for qt posted:

This episode was another one that I couldn't do in one sitting. I paused it right at the football match and walked away for three months

Sorry that you are broken. :(

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Toxxupation posted:

Holy poo poo the portrait that hangs right outside Craig's door is loving horrifying.

So many people were sure this was A Clue at the time. Surely a guy can't just have ugly art, it must be some sort of plot by the Master or something. The Curse of the Interior Decorator . . . of Death!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

What is that thing? Is a clown? Why does that black part seem to be trying to escape the picture? :gonk:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Irony Be My Shield posted:

This is one of my favourite cliffhangers ever and I love how The Doctor's tiresome bragging comes back to bite him.

I figure he never entirely grew out of 10's Timelord Victorious phase. He toned it down, but in The Lodger he's still playing silly buggers with the rules of time. Crossing his own timestream and messing with causality to get Craig's old flatmate out of the way and lead himself to the right house. It's delightful and having him brood about whether he should do it or not would have hurt the story, but it still shows tremendous arrogance.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Oxxidation posted:

The shenanigans in The Lodger really aren't on par with trying to unwrite the suicide of one of the most crucial people in humanity's history. This is fact.

I agree, but it has been said again and again that crossing your own timestream is really really bad. Super bad. Might accidentally summon langoliers bad. He found the right house right away because future him left Amy's note. And the room was available because future him arranged for the old flatmate to win the Dead Uncle Lottery. The changes weren't bad if he'd done them to someone else, but doing it to his own timestream was dangerous.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Poor Micky, even his plastic duplicate gets shown up by Rory's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

How the hell do you have a part two when part one ended with the universe, well, ending?

~It was all a dream.~

• Locked thread